+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Like Tree59Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: autumn eyes potions not working

  1. #16
    Champion of Telara Refuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsprite View Post
    Artifacts are dirt cheap on the AH during this event. I don't know anyone who makes a big profit from selling them. And being so cheap, people who like to stock up on dream ribbons, have a good opportunity to buy a lot of cheap artifacts - on top of what they collect.

    The sets are the sets from the entire world of Telara and Storm legion, if I'm correct - not like carnival/summerfest where its a specific cluster of artifact sets only. It provides those of us who don't like artifact hunting in some zones with the chance to complete those sets. So no, the sets aren't "normal as most other events".

    This event has been around for a very long time. If the amount of artifacts collected was an issue, it probably would have been fixed years ago.

    I personally like this event because I get to stock up on dream ribbons for any dimension craftables that I need. Just the process of collecting the artifacts also is worth the time invested. Its very fun to see how many you can collect in one go. Frankly, I find your tone condescending and insulting - just because you seem to only see these artifacts as a source for plat, doesn't mean the rest of the population does.
    I didn't state at any point that I liked the change. Of course I liked all the benefits, who wouldn't? I've changed my original post as I hadn't explained myself properly in terms of the sets, but it doesn't change anything, in fact probably makes it worse.

    Yes, you got benefits, but that doesn't argue my point at all, it just supports my post that you're getting loads of goodies which tbh as a developer I wouldn't want to be throwing out to everyone.

    Was my tone condescending? Matter of opinion, but I stated people were being greedy. I mean interpret that how the hell you like, I really don't care.

    Am I being insulting? Now that's stretching it, you saying something slightly negative about people and it's considered offensive. As a teacher myself this kind of attitude is really concerning. People just can't take criticism anymore without having a hissy fit. Get over it.

    Edit: I actually didn't even say greedy, I said ridiculous. How you can interpret that insulting I have no clue
    Last edited by Refuge; 10-19-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

  2. #17
    Plane Walker Shanoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post

    Yes, you got benefits, but that doesn't argue my point at all, it just supports my post that you're getting loads of goodies which tbh as a developer I wouldn't want to be throwing out to everyone.
    But who are we trying to keep happy here? The players or the developers? I think the happier the players are, the more they will support the game, which in turn, benefits the developers. I think everyone has a good reason for expressing their opinion about changes that are being made. I can only hope that they will listen to what the popular opinion of the players is.
    Shenoah@Deepwood
    GM - Hello Kitty
    ~how did I end up here again?~

  3. #18
    Champion of Telara Refuge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanoah View Post
    But who are we trying to keep happy here? The players or the developers? I think the happier the players are, the more they will support the game, which in turn, benefits the developers. I think everyone has a good reason for expressing their opinion about changes that are being made. I can only hope that they will listen to what the popular opinion of the players is.
    Giving players full epic gear within 1 week would make players happy too, for a short while.. Players are probably the worst in knowing what's best for them, sad truth.

    And listening to popular opinion is even WORSE. Best way of seeing seeing your own game die, is to do what the loudest whiners say. Some people are right, some people are wrong, that's just fact. And often the ones who whine the most, are the ones who are wrong. This is a general example to your argument, nothing related to what's in this specific thread (so please don't start calling me out for yet again insulting people here).

    Now in Rift's case, often the whiners have some legitimacy, considering it's quite easy to find blatant problems with the direction Rift has gone and quite hard to debate otherwise, but there are other smaller issues like this, that players are not necessarily correct on.

    They still have to make money, and keep the market stable. They probably saw this amount of artifacts as problematic.
    Last edited by Refuge; 10-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

  4. #19
    Plane Walker Shanoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Giving players full epic gear within 1 week would make players happy too, for a short while.. Players are probably the worst in knowing what's best for them, sad truth.

    And listening to popular opinion is even WORSE. Best way of seeing seeing your own game die, is to do what the loudest whiners say. Some people are right, some people are wrong, that's just fact. And often the ones who whine the most, are the ones who are wrong. This is a general example to your argument, nothing related to what's in this specific thread (so please don't start calling me out for yet again insulting people here).

    Now in Rift's case, often the whiners have some legitimacy, considering it's quite easy to find blatant problems with the direction Rift has gone and quite hard to debate otherwise, but there are other smaller issues like this, that players are not necessarily correct on.

    They still have to make money, and keep the market stable. They probably saw this amount of artifacts as problematic.
    I'm not the one who called you out for being insulting. I also am not whining. I'm expressing an opinion about a specific unexplained change in the game.

    Your basis for assuming what they saw as problematic seems a bit of a stretch, since they released potions with LONGER search times back in the day to give players a better chance at farming the artifacts, and this was back when the game had a much larger active player base. I can not imagine that anyone would argue that there are too many artifacts in the game currently floating around on the AH. I could go on about that in more detail, but tl:dr.

    It does feel like you are a bit harsh towards players who are expressing their opinion about this change, and perhaps a bit defensive yourself when people disagree. Btw, I actually agree with some of your theory about why games die and who shares the responsibility in that. Doesn't seem really relevant to this thread though.
    Last edited by Shanoah; 10-19-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Shenoah@Deepwood
    GM - Hello Kitty
    ~how did I end up here again?~

  5. #20
    Plane Touched KnightFalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    235

    Default

    That this issue seems beyond repair is abysmal, telling, and foreboding.

    Last straw gone in what used to be a haystack of fun.

  6. #21
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    56

    Default Not happy here, but waiting to see how this pans out.

    I've always loved this event as a way to farm the random artifact my main and 6 alts needed. I'm tentatively disappointed in their choice to replace this with pinatas (depending on if I can only get three or so artifacts).

    I do have to say that I was getting around 50 artifacts per potion per toon (with Opie mount) - which does seem a bit excessive.

    If Trion feels the need to tone it down, I would rather they limit the time on the potions instead of presenting us with pinatas - again assuming I get around three artis per pinata.

    Additionally, 75 Dream Bolts for those masks is now ridiculous if you are going to nerf the artifact collection ability.

  7. #22
    Rift Chaser Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Giving players full epic gear within 1 week would make players happy too, for a short while.. Players are probably the worst in knowing what's best for them, sad truth..............
    Now in Rift's case, often the whiners have some legitimacy, considering it's quite easy to find blatant problems with the direction Rift has gone and quite hard to debate otherwise, but there are other smaller issues like this, that players are not necessarily correct on.

    They still have to make money, and keep the market stable. They probably saw this amount of artifacts as problematic.

    Just wondering if it is a hobby of yours to comb the forums looking for ways to insult people that want to play Rift their way? You've made some assumptions about people unhappy with the changes that are incorrect and patronising.
    If people don't like the proposed change they have a perfect right to say so without being called names and being put down by you for doing so.
    Last edited by Hellishly; 10-19-2018 at 10:02 AM.

  8. #23
    Rift Chaser Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pentavala View Post
    I've always loved this event as a way to farm the random artifact my main and 6 alts needed. I'm tentatively disappointed in their choice to replace this with pinatas (depending on if I can only get three or so artifacts).

    I do have to say that I was getting around 50 artifacts per potion per toon (with Opie mount) - which does seem a bit excessive.

    If Trion feels the need to tone it down, I would rather they limit the time on the potions instead of presenting us with pinatas - again assuming I get around three artis per pinata.

    Additionally, 75 Dream Bolts for those masks is now ridiculous if you are going to nerf the artifact collection ability.

    Like you I used the event to farm artifacts for myself and my alts. Never managed the amount you do as I don't have Opie, but still usually got between 20-30. Any remaining duplicates after sending them across alts were turned into dream ribbons, just like I normally do.

    Honestly if the amount gathered from the potions is such an issue well aren't the Unstable events an issue also? I can come away with almost 200 artifacts in half an hour in those events depending on zone.

  9. #24
    Plane Touched KnightFalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    Honestly if the amount gathered from the potions is such an issue well aren't the Unstable events an issue also?
    The genuine issue is they are unable to repair the event. After being unable to resolve it last year after several attempts they said back then they may have to make a change.

    At that time I responded that their statement was tantamount to foreshadowing failure. And so it became, with players now facing the results of a repair that continues to elude them.

  10. #25
    Plane Touched Valnia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    213

    Default

    The artifacts are at least half the reason I do autumnfest, and if it is changed to the pinatas then the number and chance for rares/epics is much lower and is pretty worthless. These 'pumpkin pinatas' better reward more than the usual pinatas.

  11. #26
    Rift Disciple Grimmsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    141

    Default

    I was looking forward to picking up loads of artis this year but I guess that's not going to happen This was a unique thing for this event, very rewarding for artifact lovers, unlike the tedious, rng based pAinatas... :<

  12. #27
    Rift Chaser Hellishly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valnia View Post
    The artifacts are at least half the reason I do autumnfest, and if it is changed to the pinatas then the number and chance for rares/epics is much lower and is pretty worthless. These 'pumpkin pinatas' better reward more than the usual pinatas.

    They also need to be not 5 minutes plus ride from each other, and then you have to mentor to the right level and spend the next 5 minutes killing it. Because if it does that for the standard 3-4 artis pinatas usually drop, we are better off just doing an unstable event.

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightFalz View Post
    The genuine issue is they are unable to repair the event. After being unable to resolve it last year after several attempts they said back then they may have to make a change.

    At that time I responded that their statement was tantamount to foreshadowing failure. And so it became, with players now facing the results of a repair that continues to elude them.
    I don't understand how this event worked just fine for several years when more players were playing, but is now unfixable. How does that happen? It should have been the same code every year with just changes to the loot tables?

  13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #28
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellishly View Post
    They also need to be not 5 minutes plus ride from each other, and then you have to mentor to the right level and spend the next 5 minutes killing it. Because if it does that for the standard 3-4 artis pinatas usually drop, we are better off just doing an unstable event.
    No riding between pinatas need happen as players are the ones that place them:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5366265

    I don't understand how this event worked just fine for several years when more players were playing, but is now unfixable. How does that happen? It should have been the same code every year with just changes to the loot tables?
    Entropy. Different companies have different names for it (I have been told Facebook engineers refer to this as "code debt"), but essentially, changes you make in various places have cascading impacts, often in ways that are not direct and might not be immediately apparent. What it effectively means is that ALL code in the game, if the game is still in active development, has a maintenance cost over time.

    Sometimes the cost for such maintenance needs to be triaged - is continuing to support what is really a special case confluence of systems such as a large quest hub with activities within an instance in a multi-shard environment the best use of engineering resources? In this case, we decided that no it was not.

    But yes, sometimes content you are not touching can still break over time because of - essentially - entropy.
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

    "Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

  14. #29
    Plane Walker Shanoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salvatrix View Post
    No riding between pinatas need happen as players are the ones that place them:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5366265



    Entropy. Different companies have different names for it (I have been told Facebook engineers refer to this as "code debt"), but essentially, changes you make in various places have cascading impacts, often in ways that are not direct and might not be immediately apparent. What it effectively means is that ALL code in the game, if the game is still in active development, has a maintenance cost over time.

    Sometimes the cost for such maintenance needs to be triaged - is continuing to support what is really a special case confluence of systems such as a large quest hub with activities within an instance in a multi-shard environment the best use of engineering resources? In this case, we decided that no it was not.

    But yes, sometimes content you are not touching can still break over time because of - essentially - entropy.
    Thank you for the communication on this topic! It's definitely better to have something that works, as opposed to something that stops working and can't be fixed. Your efforts and attention are appreciated.
    Shenoah@Deepwood
    GM - Hello Kitty
    ~how did I end up here again?~

  15. #30
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default

    It looks like we're back to the (very) old loot table for the artifacts. (The one that is only good for dream ribbons and selling if you've been around for a while . . .)

    Is this the case?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts