+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
Like Tree16Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: [BUG REPORT] Autumn Eyes and Artis not in bag

  1. #46
    Ascendant Samuraiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Filming on the Internet
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalystrae View Post
    When in realm of the fae you cannot shard hop or use patron fast pass to access portals.
    You can, however, use the Planar Attunement abilities to bampf out of the Harvest Realm. (And I'n not surprised the fast pass doesn't work, they don't work in dims, warfronts, or other instances either. Neither do the insignia, for that matter.)

    As far as shard hopping goes, you generally can't in instances, dims, and warfronts, either. (Or the tutorials, for that matter!)

    TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

  2. #47
    Soulwalker ebonweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11

    Unhappy

    So the mod here says the issue can't be reproduced and asks the players for more info. This means the players have to use potions to test. The GMs refuse to refund potions that didn't work because it's a known issue, and they advise not using potions at all until the issue is fixed, something that has not been announced globally. The mod here says they have no idea how to fix what they can't find. So basically, it's broken, won't be fixed, won't be compensated for, play at your own risk. Oh, and the glitch they found that gives bonus artifacts, which in a way makes up for the potions not working 50+% of the time, they're gonna take that away.

    This response and attitude is not unique to this one issue. Why does a company think people would pay to lose stuff? Hey I like the game, I'll keep playing, but only as free until such time as the business approach shows proper concern and resolution for problems. Yeah pity if everyone does that and it folds, but then that's how business choices pan out. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

  3.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #48
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Tacitus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebonweaver View Post
    So the mod here says
    To clarify, not a mod, but one of the senior developers (over 8 years is a long time to spend working on one game).

    they advise not using potions at all until the issue is fixed, something that has not been announced globally. The mod here says they have no idea how to fix what they can't find. So basically, it's broken, won't be fixed, won't be compensated for, play at your own risk.
    The brutal, hard truth is that at this point the event will conclude before or if we find the cause. If you have the pots, whether they end up working or not, you may as well use them (but I would suggest farming more Autumn Eye pots is kind of a "proceed at your own risk" deal).

    It sucks. There is no way to deny that this sucks. The event has run fine for many years, but this year, our best guess is that SOME change in the last year broke this. One year of code changes is a lot of ground to cover to find the root cause, especially when we have no internal repro.

    And I cannot promise this activity will return next year. If we cannot find the root cause between now and then, we will certainly not turn it back on as is.

    Oh, and the glitch they found that gives bonus artifacts, which in a way makes up for the potions not working 50+% of the time, they're gonna take that away.
    Yes, it makes little sense for us to leave another bug in, that also affects minions (because they are sharing the same sub-loot tables now), and only could ever benefit a lvl 48 or lower player on one narrow roll that was a small fraction of a percent chance to come up just because we haven't been able to fix this unrelated issue.

    This response and attitude is not unique to this one issue. ... I'll keep playing, but only as free until such time as the business approach shows proper concern
    I am not sure how I could have possibly had more concern. For almost two weeks now, this has been the biggest use of resources spent on resolving issues. I was actually out of the office dealing with a family emergency when all this started, and still spent a fair chunk of time dialed into work trying to find a cause and solution for this issue despite being in mourning. That is how seriously I take it. If THAT is not concern... I really don't know what is.

    I'm not mad, just disappointed.
    If anyone is mad... I don't blame them. I know that I am certainly both mad AND disappointed.

    Anyway, to be extra clear to all reading this - since no fix was found in time for today's patch, since we still have no leads despite all our efforts, and because the event ends next week... It is probable the event will conclude in the state that it currently is in.

    As we have been unable to fix it, the least I can do is give the direct, painful, status update.
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

    "Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

  4. #49
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    To clarify, not a mod, but one of the senior developers (over 8 years is a long time to spend working on one game).



    The brutal, hard truth is that at this point the event will conclude before or if we find the cause. If you have the pots, whether they end up working or not, you may as well use them (but I would suggest farming more Autumn Eye pots is kind of a "proceed at your own risk" deal).

    It sucks. There is no way to deny that this sucks. The event has run fine for many years, but this year, our best guess is that SOME change in the last year broke this. One year of code changes is a lot of ground to cover to find the root cause, especially when we have no internal repro.

    And I cannot promise this activity will return next year. If we cannot find the root cause between now and then, we will certainly not turn it back on as is.



    Yes, it makes little sense for us to leave another bug in, that also affects minions (because they are sharing the same sub-loot tables now), and only could ever benefit a lvl 48 or lower player on one narrow roll that was a small fraction of a percent chance to come up just because we haven't been able to fix this unrelated issue.



    I am not sure how I could have possibly had more concern. For almost two weeks now, this has been the biggest use of resources spent on resolving issues. I was actually out of the office dealing with a family emergency when all this started, and still spent a fair chunk of time dialed into work trying to find a cause and solution for this issue despite being in mourning. That is how seriously I take it. If THAT is not concern... I really don't know what is.



    If anyone is mad... I don't blame them. I know that I am certainly both mad AND disappointed.

    Anyway, to be extra clear to all reading this - since no fix was found in time for today's patch, since we still have no leads despite all our efforts, and because the event ends next week... It is probable the event will conclude in the state that it currently is in.

    As we have been unable to fix it, the least I can do is give the direct, painful, status update.
    What totally baffles me, and maybe as a senior developer who's worked for such a long time on one game you can provide some understandable reasoning, is if this is a known issue why has there not been a notification on login to make sure everyone is aware that it is an issue, as y'all have done so often with other issues?

    I rarely read the forums, the text is difficult for me to read when I have a migraine and lately I have had them pretty frequently, so I generally avoid even trying unless I am looking for something specific. It wasn't until I had this bug happen to me twice and I sent in a ticket only to be condescended to and told that they were offering me a courtesy for something that was the fault of y'alls coding and not by anything that I had done that I thought maybe I should see if this was something happening in a widespread fashion. Lo and behold, it was! Not only is it widespread, it's been going on since the beginning of the event and not a thing has been said in game, where it would make the most sense to have notification! It is those little things that can make or break customer service situations. Well, that and the poorly worded form letters that CS sends in response to tickets.

    I do wish to offer my condolences to you, Tacitus, for your loss. Unfortunately family emergencies tend to happen at the least opportune times, I am sorry that this is something that you have been going through and having to deal with, especially at this time of year.

  5. #50
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thank you for at least attempting to find a fix. It would be in my opinion best to go ahead and make a log in announcement so that all players know that this is broke and will probably not get fixed. Especially if you have any new players who started with this world event. Having this as an example of what holiday events are to come, could cause those players to not want to come back and play.

  6. #51
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Happened to me on two chars and now it keeps telling me my adventures are not claimable. Is Rift imploding?

  7. #52
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Today it worked beautifully on 5 of my guys. Then 6:30 eastern time...next character - didn't notice there were no artifacts collected til end of the potion. Character after that worked after logging out and in twice....Hopefully tomorrow will be 100% *crosses fingers*

  8. #53
    Shadowlander Grimmsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I can confirm that this is happening to my character every time now that I try to use the potion which forces me to log off and back on which in turn lands me on the most crowded shard in the Realm....not fun.

    It is always happening to the same character (an alt) in my case.
    Thezene@Typhiria

  9. #54
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    11

    Default Something to review....

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    To clarify, not a mod, but one of the senior developers (over 8 years is a long time to spend working on one game).



    The brutal, hard truth is that at this point the event will conclude before or if we find the cause. If you have the pots, whether they end up working or not, you may as well use them (but I would suggest farming more Autumn Eye pots is kind of a "proceed at your own risk" deal).

    It sucks. There is no way to deny that this sucks. The event has run fine for many years, but this year, our best guess is that SOME change in the last year broke this. One year of code changes is a lot of ground to cover to find the root cause, especially when we have no internal repro.

    And I cannot promise this activity will return next year. If we cannot find the root cause between now and then, we will certainly not turn it back on as is.



    Yes, it makes little sense for us to leave another bug in, that also affects minions (because they are sharing the same sub-loot tables now), and only could ever benefit a lvl 48 or lower player on one narrow roll that was a small fraction of a percent chance to come up just because we haven't been able to fix this unrelated issue.



    I am not sure how I could have possibly had more concern. For almost two weeks now, this has been the biggest use of resources spent on resolving issues. I was actually out of the office dealing with a family emergency when all this started, and still spent a fair chunk of time dialed into work trying to find a cause and solution for this issue despite being in mourning. That is how seriously I take it. If THAT is not concern... I really don't know what is.



    If anyone is mad... I don't blame them. I know that I am certainly both mad AND disappointed.

    Anyway, to be extra clear to all reading this - since no fix was found in time for today's patch, since we still have no leads despite all our efforts, and because the event ends next week... It is probable the event will conclude in the state that it currently is in.

    As we have been unable to fix it, the least I can do is give the direct, painful, status update.
    I am used to gorilla testing code and this seemed to jump out, at least a bit, in my mind. You can not change shards when in Realm of Fae...on each toon which I have had the issue I had just completed the Event IA which has left me on a shard other than my home shard. When I go into realm of fae, do my turn ins and pop my potion, the artifacts come up empty. Logging has not worked for me on it's own but leaving the instance, returning to my home shard, and re entering the instance has worked every time. The key seems to be entering the realm of fae from your home shard. This has been my experience when I actually used my potions to run through some tests on different toons...(your mileage may vary) Hope this helps, good luck.

  10. #55
    Champion caduto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    And I cannot promise this activity will return next year. If we cannot find the root cause between now and then, we will certainly not turn it back on as is.
    aaaww hell no!
    me and my husband have run this event for 3 weeks.. with 11 chars each on our main accounts, 22 chars total not having any issue at all.
    we also ran the event on one char each on our secondary accounts, with no issue at all.
    in fact the only reason im in this thread is because i finaly managed to find a char that has the issue!
    cimmerion@gelidra.. a second char on my secondary account.
    i only did the daily because i was testing the weeklies! i wanted to see if you could pick up your first weekly in week 3 of the event and the go on to do the other 2 weeklies, for people who have missed one or two weeks of the event. turns out you cant.. which is awful adn should be changed by the way!
    while completing the weekly of course i did the fungi quest too and got a potion.
    teleported to zaviel to get a quieter shard and entered the portal. did a full 3 mins of artifact hunting and then went to post the artis to my main account.. opened up my bags and they were empty!
    i will try it again tomorrow on this same char and have the video recording in case i get the same bug.

    as for 'switching off this part of the event'
    this is a random problem effecting a small minority of players, there isnt even talk about it on the in game chats, it is so rare.
    yes it sucks when it doesnt work, but you could alleviate a lot of player stress about this by simple comunication about the problem and assurance that you are trying to find the root cause. refund potions when there is clear evidence that the bug has happened.

  11. #56
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Same thing happened to me twice on the same character. I petitioned and received a potion back. After reading this thread, I decided to try it again, going to my home shard first. I had 4 potions saved up, and they all worked fine.

    Hope this helps.

  12. #57
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    To clarify, not a mod, but one of the senior developers (over 8 years is a long time to spend working on one game).



    The brutal, hard truth is that at this point the event will conclude before or if we find the cause. If you have the pots, whether they end up working or not, you may as well use them (but I would suggest farming more Autumn Eye pots is kind of a "proceed at your own risk" deal).

    It sucks. There is no way to deny that this sucks. The event has run fine for many years, but this year, our best guess is that SOME change in the last year broke this. One year of code changes is a lot of ground to cover to find the root cause, especially when we have no internal repro.

    And I cannot promise this activity will return next year. If we cannot find the root cause between now and then, we will certainly not turn it back on as is.



    Yes, it makes little sense for us to leave another bug in, that also affects minions (because they are sharing the same sub-loot tables now), and only could ever benefit a lvl 48 or lower player on one narrow roll that was a small fraction of a percent chance to come up just because we haven't been able to fix this unrelated issue.



    I am not sure how I could have possibly had more concern. For almost two weeks now, this has been the biggest use of resources spent on resolving issues. I was actually out of the office dealing with a family emergency when all this started, and still spent a fair chunk of time dialed into work trying to find a cause and solution for this issue despite being in mourning. That is how seriously I take it. If THAT is not concern... I really don't know what is.



    If anyone is mad... I don't blame them. I know that I am certainly both mad AND disappointed.

    Anyway, to be extra clear to all reading this - since no fix was found in time for today's patch, since we still have no leads despite all our efforts, and because the event ends next week... It is probable the event will conclude in the state that it currently is in.

    As we have been unable to fix it, the least I can do is give the direct, painful, status update.
    WTF is this answer. If you are a dev and mad who cares. Fix it. It is one of the main things I do the event for, it's happening on three of my chars and you say it just too bad our game sucks so bad that is doesn't work. I put in tickets and I ll be damned if I can find the pots you said you would refund, and then to send me another reply saying I can't put in another ticket to replace my pots. This game sucks more and more each day.

  13. #58
    Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirza View Post
    WTF is this answer. If you are a dev and mad who cares. Fix it. It is one of the main things I do the event for, it's happening on three of my chars and you say it just too bad our game sucks so bad that is doesn't work. I put in tickets and I ll be damned if I can find the pots you said you would refund, and then to send me another reply saying I can't put in another ticket to replace my pots. This game sucks more and more each day.
    Now it's 4 chars.

  14. #59
    Rift Disciple KnightFalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    And I cannot promise this activity will return next year. If we cannot find the root cause between now and then, we will certainly not turn it back on as is.
    To be honest this sounds like a foreshadowing to set up the expectation that such will be, so that players can prepare themselves for that outcome.

    If this part of the event can't be fixed by next year it will undermine my confidence this game can be properly maintained as is, and likely that of many others as well.

  15. #60
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Same problem no artis in my bag, obviously is a bug
    Last edited by Andrewsd; 11-15-2017 at 04:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts