+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Clowd
  • 1 Post By Yaviey
  • 1 Post By Yaviey

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: [FIX PENDING] Texture splatting & Compass minimap was changed in 4.2 hotfix #2

Default [FIX PENDING] Texture splatting & Compass minimap was changed in 4.2 hotfix #2

This was first reported on the Technical Support forum - http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ml#post5316976 however I can confirm this as a legitimate issues.

My datamining revealed the extent of the changes for the compass minimap, as the 4.2 hotfix #2 patch shipped with completely new compass minimap tiles for the Storm Legion, Nightmare Tide, and Prophecy of Ahnket zones. Portions of Plane Touched Wilds also appear to be updated, alongside nearby sections of the Droughtlands zone that border Plane Touched Wilds.

Time: This change is always noticeable in all open world locations. The compass minimap is especially noticeable, as hard lines are far more prevalent (see screenshot below).

Context: This appears in all regions of the main game world, and is especially prevalent in the compass minimap. At least the Dusken, Brevane, Plane of Water, and Celestial Lands minimaps have been altered due to this.

Expected: I expected the edges of different textures on the ground of the world to have "fuzzy" borders, and to not be sharp, but blend into each other.

Observed: Edges of roads and different textures on the world do not blend into each other as they once did. Instead, the edges are more pronounced, especially on the compass minimaps.

Screenshots: This screenshot shows the difference between the Hotfix #1 compass minimap (on the left) and the Hotfix #2 compass minimap (on the right)
    Last edited by Yaviey; 08-28-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: updated title
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

Quote Originally Posted by Clowd View Post
    This was first reported on the Technical Support forum - http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ml#post5316976 however I can confirm this as a legitimate issues.

My datamining revealed the extent of the changes for the compass minimap, as the 4.2 hotfix #2 patch shipped with completely new compass minimap tiles for the Storm Legion, Nightmare Tide, and Prophecy of Ahnket zones. Portions of Plane Touched Wilds also appear to be updated, alongside nearby sections of the Droughtlands zone that border Plane Touched Wilds.

Time: This change is always noticeable in all open world locations. The compass minimap is especially noticeable, as hard lines are far more prevalent (see screenshot below).

Context: This appears in all regions of the main game world, and is especially prevalent in the compass minimap. At least the Dusken, Brevane, Plane of Water, and Celestial Lands minimaps have been altered due to this.

Expected: I expected the edges of different textures on the ground of the world to have "fuzzy" borders, and to not be sharp, but blend into each other.

Observed: Edges of roads and different textures on the world do not blend into each other as they once did. Instead, the edges are more pronounced, especially on the compass minimaps.

Screenshots: This screenshot shows the difference between the Hotfix #1 compass minimap (on the left) and the Hotfix #2 compass minimap (on the right)
    First of all, thank you for the very thorough bug report, Clowd!

I had a chat with our team and we did put in a new terrain shader. This is a more modern type of technology based on height-map blending. So a change was indeed intentional! However, a change that impacted users' abilities to properly discern roads in the minimap was not.

Therefore, based on your input, we are going to file it as a bug report to see if we can get some tweaks done to it so it'll be easier to see roads, etc.

Thank you!

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

Update: we're still looking into this and don't have any further updates as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Clowd View Post
    This change is always noticeable in all open world locations.

Observed: Edges of roads and different textures on the world do not blend into each other as they once did.
    Oh I hope the change on ground textures everywhere in the world WILL NOT be reversed, they are far more beautiful and detailed this way.
    I realized the change while looking at the old zones ground textures, especially where you have grass blending with another terrain, or stone paths... This is a far better rendering putting old zones at same level of detail than the new zones, please don't reverse it.

Minimap is another matter, old version was better, but if you need to change real ground to change minimap, it is not worth the loss.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Oh I hope the change on ground textures everywhere in the world WILL NOT be reversed, they are far more beautiful and detailed this way.
    I realized the change while looking at the old zones ground textures, especially where you have grass blending with another terrain, or stone paths... This is a far better rendering putting old zones at same level of detail than the new zones, please don't reverse it.

Minimap is another matter, old version was better, but if you need to change real ground to change minimap, it is not worth the loss.
    Thanks, Mordrahan. Likely a role-back will not happen, but rather just an update to make sure the mini-map objects are more discernible.

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6

Update 8/18: Our team is going to try to re-render some of the things in the minimap to make it easier to see. We don't have a definitive timeline for this but we'll let you know when we have more info.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7

Update 8/24: the team has begun the re-rendering process for the mini-maps and we'll see if that helps. More updates as they develop. Thanks for your patience.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Update 8/28: we have re-rendered the mini map so this should be fixed in an upcoming game update.

9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

Exclamation

Update 9/27: we're still working on this and don't have an ETA at this time.

+ Reply to Thread