+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Guide: Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks

Default Guide: Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks

Ok, before I start the guide I'm going to give you a little background about how my Linux gaming journey started.

I woke up the morning of February 24th, the day of headstart, to discover my hard drive had epically failed itself into oblivion. Forced to find a replacement, I got a new hard drive at the local BestBuy but I had one big problem: No windows Install discs came with my laptop (Thanks Dell!).

Fortunately, I had a spare Ubuntu 10.10 install disc I had made a while back for some reason.

Then began my frustratingly complicated journey of Linux gaming.
    I knew about WineHQ but I knew nothing of how to use it. I searched high and low for guides on how to install DirectX 9 on Wine to no avail. Finally, after learning some command lines and getting familiar with Terminal, I found a solution at 4am last night. Here it is:

GUIDE------------
    Note: This is for UBUNTU 10.10.

BEFORE YOU START: I would highly recommend you uninstall previous Wine and Rift installs. Make sure you delete your .wine folder in your Linux home folder. We want no records of past installs.

1. Go to this website: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb , follow the instructions and then "click download version 1.3."

2. Once 1.3 is installed open up your Terminal window.
    Type these commands:
    Code:
    winetricks d3dx9
    and then...
    Code:
    winetricks vcrun2008
    A log should appear in Terminal after you issue the command lines to confirm that these programs are installed.

3. Go to the rift Headstart page and download the Rift Patcher and install like you would on Windows. Note: some of the text in the installer my not show but this is normal.

4. Update and run Rift to patch, once patched play the game, everything should be in working order. IF the installer asks you for some reason to install directx, ignore it and play anyways.

/end guide

This is what worked for me, hopefully, it will work for you too.
    The performance is a little slow sometimes (i get around 15-20 fps). But I won't be playing on Linux for long. I've got a Windows 7 CD on it's way
    Last edited by Cheeb; 02-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    Trying to Install RIFT on Linux? Read my guide! Here:http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ith-Winetricks

"I don't use drugs, I am drugs."

Soulwalker

A few things of note here for linux gaming in general...

Your not actually running games in directX. Wine is taking the DX calls and converting them to OpenGL calls. This brings with it a pretty hefty fps dip (for me 10-15 fps in WoW/Eve Online). Thats why games that support OpenGL nativly like WoW should be run in OpenGL mode on linux and not DX.

It is my experience that SLI with OpenGL (Remember we're always using OpenGL even if its a DX call) actually costs you some FPS if it doesn't crash you outright. (GLXGears with SLI on == crash).
    So turn SLI off if you have it.

Just some food for thought. If it werent for the FPS hit I wouldnt run windows at all.

I found that DDO FTP ran quicker under WINE. Any reports on performance for this yet? I might run it on my netbook to do some crafting.
    Last edited by tentimes; 02-25-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Soulwalker

ill probably copy over my windows rift install to my ubuntu partition and see how it does.

Soulwalker

It did work!! Or at least, I can start the game. Can't wait to play, thank you very much. (I does hope that Trion is gonna move their *** for a linux native version)

Did you delete or keep the 4 checks on the last menu of the initial installer?

Soulwalker

Default Installer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Did you delete or keep the 4 checks on the last menu of the initial installer?
    I've done five installs so far in Linux (Mint 9 & 10) and each time, I just left the check boxes as they were (i.e. I just kept clicking 'next' on each installer).

Couple things I've done different from the OP:

I didn't install vcrun - I'm not sure it's actually required - anyone know for sure or what it's supposedly for?

For installing, I gave it its own wine 'bottle' by setting a prefix:

WINEPREFIX="/home/yourname/.wine-rift" wine /path/to/installer.exe

This creates a .wine-rift path in your home directory. Using 'bottles' for each game I run under wine, I can have different configurations and extras loaded (like vcrun or d3dx9) for a particular game without fear of corrupting the config needed for other games.

After install, I ran "WINEPREFIX="/home/yourname/.wine-rift" winecfg and set the windows version to "Windows 7" and the audio service to "OSS". I then edited the 'Play Rift' shortcut to include 'padsp' just before the 'wine' command. So it basically reads WINEPREFIX="/home/yourname/.wine-rift" padsp wine .......

Without that, sound was just stopping after about 45-60 min of play. With that change, sound appears stable.
    Last edited by Xlarthen; 02-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.

The only thing stopping me from going back to linux is 3d vision, I will however try this on my laptop running mint

So... I completely wiped my HDD and started over. Got the bottle working, but now I can't seem to figure out how to install d3d9 into the bottle. Winetricks is only showing the .wine configuration. Any idea how to install to the bottle?

You install winetricks items to bottles via the following.

wineprefix="/home/your name/.wine-rift" winetricks d3dx9

Rift Disciple

All excellent information. I'm glad this got mentioned by the devs:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ide-Compendium

I followed the instructions in the opening post, but whenever I click play, it comes up with "Error communicating with the patching process. (Error #1026). Last message: 0000006D" anyone else get this? and any ideas on fixing it?
    Proud member of The Hammerfist Clan A multi game community.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Belwickety View Post
    I followed the instructions in the opening post, but whenever I click play, it comes up with "Error communicating with the patching process. (Error #1026). Last message: 0000006D" anyone else get this? and any ideas on fixing it?

Wait until the servers are officially up, (Launch Day servers ~40min, Headstart servers ~1:40min).

It's being doing it all day...
    Proud member of The Hammerfist Clan A multi game community.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Belwickety View Post
    It's being doing it all day...
    Ok - I'm not trying to be smart here but define 'all day'. They started their maintenance about 3 1/2 hours ago.

Also, has your install ever worked? Are you playing from home, work, or school (the latter 2 being places that have a firewall, internet proxy, or both)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast