+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Guide: Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks

Soulwalker

Anyone tried to run it in Linux Mint 17 Qiana? Or Ubuntu 14 for that matter? Glyph really complicated the installation process for me.

Quote Originally Posted by An3Micu View Post
    Anyone tried to run it in Linux Mint 17 Qiana? Or Ubuntu 14 for that matter? Glyph really complicated the installation process for me.
    Hi An3Micu,

I'd love to play Rift on my windows install, but right now it's just not recognizing my wifi card and I've no clue why so I'm stuck with linux for now.

Here's what I did to get Rift working somewhat:

Note: I'm using PlayonLinux with a 64bit virtual drive install, but winetricks will achieve the same result
    (it's the same one I use to play skyrim and TL2)

Wine Version: 1.7.27 64-bit
    "Windows" version: Windows XP because the glyph client won't work otherwise.
    Installed components: Core fonts, vcrun2008, vcrun2005, d3dx9

Display settings: GLSL support enabled
    Direct Draw Renderer opengl
    Video memory size default
    Offscreen rendering mode fbo
    Render target mode lock default
    Multisampling disabled
    Strict Draw Ordering enabled Note: This causes a noticeable performance hit but cannot be turned off thus far as doing so fills the game with huge graphical glitches. If you don't have these glitches in places like tempest bay, go ahead and turn it off.

How to install rift:
    If the above is setup, you basically just open the glyph client, login and choose to install rift. I reccomend setting glyph to close itself after you click play. I also strongly recommend not playing while its updating.

I've tried running on low, medium, and high settings thus far. With StrictDrawOrdering enabled the game runs best on low or medium. I haven't tried the low quality renderer yet.

It's playable, as long as there isn't a lot of players around. Tempest bay will be slow for you, but world content is fine.

My Hardware:
    3.5GHz Phenom II X4 CPU
    4GB RAM
    Radeon 5770 1GB with Catalyst 14.10 driver

Also, if anyone knows any good ways to help tweak performance, I'd love to hear it. When I googled installing rift on linux I got very few results that weren't way old.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by GroovedSpines View Post
    Strict Draw Ordering enabled Note: This causes a noticeable performance hit but cannot be turned off thus far as doing so fills the game with huge graphical glitches.
    Strict Draw Ordering is no longer needed. A Wine developer has released a set of command stream multi-threading (CSMT) patches that can be added to wine and fixes the graphical glitches without a performance loss.

PlayOnLinux has an archived version of wine 1.7.24 with the CSMT patches you can install through PlayOnLinux easily. When it's installed edit the registry and set StrictDrawOrdering to Disabled and add a new key called CSMT and set it to enabled.

To install the Wine with CSMT in PlayOnLinux go to Tools>Manage Wine Versions
    Then select and install 1.7.24-CS-0.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjitamura View Post
    Strict Draw Ordering is no longer needed. A Wine developer has released a set of command stream multi-threading (CSMT) patches that can be added to wine and fixes the graphical glitches without a performance loss.

PlayOnLinux has an archived version of wine 1.7.24 with the CSMT patches you can install through PlayOnLinux easily. When it's installed edit the registry and set StrictDrawOrdering to Disabled and add a new key called CSMT and set it to enabled.

To install the Wine with CSMT in PlayOnLinux go to Tools>Manage Wine Versions
    Then select and install 1.7.24-CS-0.9.1
    Truly? Great! I'll give this a try tomorrow and hopefully the game will be more playable after that.

Oh, and though this isn't a huge deal, I figured I'd mention I'm doing this on Linux Mint 17 as Arch/Gentoo folk might have to install a few other things. Google orkultus rift if you need more info on that.

Soulwalker

Default Thanks

It werx. First cutscene was a black screen but otherwise the game ran nicely.

I had to Google the part about adding the CSMT key. String Value CSMT at HKCU\Software\Wine\Direct3D and set to 'enabled' if anyone else needs to know.

Rift Disciple

Default Is this guide still work?

This guide still work for other linux distros? (now that we are in january 2015) and this guide can be updated?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by netsky666 View Post
    This guide still work for other linux distros? (now that we are in january 2015) and this guide can be updated?
    It worked well for me up until 3.0
    Ever since that update it crashes everytime I launch it (it only works once right after installing).
    Couldn't play very often because of that.
    Last edited by An3Micu; 01-30-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Soulwalker

Default 2016 and devs still won't address linux users: remove glyph requirement

First: glyph installer baulks at being put into a virtual drive c (devs make a linux virtual drive friendly glyph installer)
    Virtual drive livesetuprift.exe works until it has to install the glyphinstall.exe.. then crashes.
    Either remove the required glyph.exe or update it as it's very unstable on the windows 7/8/10 standalone (no linux).
    Users are capable of navigating site to add each Trion game available.. just saying if they aren't they can opt to use glyph.. doable.
    Hire a linux programmer
    REMOVE GLYPH for linux users, please. livesetuprift.exe works beautifully.. until glyph.
    Question for dev: why are you married to glyph installer? when rift.exe put in the virtual c: 32 bit works nicely. If it's free to play and folks can install does it truly require this extra bit of programming to use? My short biased answer is remove it problem solved. Provide the glyph exe for the kiddos that want easy use.. linux doesn't need it we can ctrl alt T just fine to run the program
    I believe I have tried every wine version out there, none compatible with glyph.exe.. PLEASE do correct me if wrong and there is a viable one that I am unaware of/missed/passed over in the reinstall/remove process. Would love to be corrected on this! Haven't actually disassembled the glyph protocols to see what the problem is, yet. Will have to wait till done projects first.. about April. Who comes up with the workaround first.. me or the devs. Ha. Haven't touched linux since redhat was a twinkle in devs eyes.. bet it's me though I haven't written code in years. Ubunto 15.1 user (newb).
    Remove glyph requirement, Rift is playable again for linux people.. besides the linux programmers require sub to use their workaround (as a company has solved the install/play problems).. wouldn't you rather the linux users be able to just play Rift and use that money to pay for patron instead?

I don't have a problem with Glyph in WINE.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    I don't have a problem with Glyph in WINE.
    Awesome which one?
    Edited to include: What version of linux are you using? Which WINE version? Would love to replicate, so would the rest of the people that are trying to use 'glyph'. Back up with details please thanks as details rather than an empty response other than it works will show what does work. I asked to be 'proven' wrong. Prove it works by providing details. Will happily replicate your reply and provide feedback for other linux users. Wants to be shown, there is a workaround for this.
    Quote: 'empty answers are like bad farts .. they both stink'
    Last edited by Liltam; 03-06-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Rift Disciple

wine staging till 1.9.5 (laters need "strict ordering" again ...) and steam installation works OK, however I manually close glyph immediately after rift started otherwise it causes huge lags.

also VC2012 is installed
    Last edited by alexzk; 05-09-2016 at 10:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5