to /etc/apt/sources.list

then

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install frickelplatz-keyrings
    Code:
    apt-get install wine1.3
    then follow the instructions here.

P.S: the debian repository from winehq is outdated (lamaresh or something)
    Last edited by azradric; 03-09-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Soulwalker

Has anyone had any luck running Rift on Linux with an ATI mobility radeon HD5xxx series? I have done as the guide suggests and am able to launch rift. I do get some graphics abnormalities but the biggest things is that I cannot see character models. Just weapons and full UI. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and the latest version of Wine.

I've tried multiple different graphics settings and I've downloaded the latest drivers from ATI.

Any help would be appreciated!

I installed Rift (Steam) on Ubuntu using Crossover Games 10. I just launched steam and installed it like in Windows. The only thing I had to do to get the audio smooth was set the wine configuration to use Windows 7 and everything works great now. I take a bit of a performance hit compared to Windows of course but it's acceptable for me so far.

Soulwalker

(Cannot edit my Post)

Additional Informations:

Tested on Lenovo Thinkpad T510 with Low Graphic mode and i had 20FPS.
    I've installed the NVIDIA-Driver from the Debian SID repository.
    Sound also works fine with ALSA drivers.

I tried this out, got it installed and updated. However every time I open up the patcher and click to play, it just disappears. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    I tried this out, got it installed and updated. However every time I open up the patcher and click to play, it just disappears. Any ideas?
    Run it from the terminal and post the output. (ie. wine riftpath.exe).
    Did you install the directX packages and are your video card drivers installed? Don't even bother using the open source drivers, you'll need the proprietary blobs.

Working great on my end with Slackware 13.37 and cxgames 10
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Surfing the net has never been so suite!

Telaran

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 10.1 and Wine 1.3.

What I did was open the Wine Config window and go to the Libraries tab.
    Choose d3dx9_43 (native), and change it to builtin using the edit button.

After that it ran fine for me.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by illmatik0ne View Post
    Has anyone had any luck running Rift on Linux with an ATI mobility radeon HD5xxx series? I have done as the guide suggests and am able to launch rift. I do get some graphics abnormalities but the biggest things is that I cannot see character models. Just weapons and full UI. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and the latest version of Wine.

I've tried multiple different graphics settings and I've downloaded the latest drivers from ATI.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Same thing happened to me. Run "winetricks glsl-disable" in the wine prefix you are using for rift.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJeffy View Post
    I had the same problem with Ubuntu 10.1 and Wine 1.3.

What I did was open the Wine Config window and go to the Libraries tab.
    Choose d3dx9_43 (native), and change it to builtin using the edit button.

After that it ran fine for me.
    Awesome this works for getting it started now for me! But, after the cutscene the game just kinda freezes. I think I need to do as Slack suggested and not use the open source drvers, but I can't figure out how to find drivers for this video card that work on linux. o.o

It's a "Mobile Intel HD Graphics" chipset with 64MB-1696MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

I <3 Kohlswa - 3/2/2011

actually I got the game to run just by trying it again, but the graphics are HORRID. Everything is all black, u can't even see textures. Wow, this laptop just isn't designed for gaming =P
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

I <3 Kohlswa - 3/2/2011

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mothiad View Post
    actually I got the game to run just by trying it again, but the graphics are HORRID. Everything is all black, u can't even see textures. Wow, this laptop just isn't designed for gaming =P
    Yeah, mobile cards (especially ones with shared memory) will struggle with games on Linux because of the potential overhead.

That said, using Crossover Games and getting stable 20-30 fps depending on where I am on high settings and "Projected Textures" off. The awesome part: it runs better than in Windows by around 5 FPS (and is actually playable in cities). Surprising...
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Soulwalker

I have this same problem but im using ubuntu 10.04... Does anyone have ideas what i should do?

Soulwalker

well im new to ubuntu but i managed to get it downloaded. after waiting 2 hours for a patch i go to play the game and FML this is what i get ....
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...009400&theater
    any help for a noob?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by feirited View Post
    I have this same problem but im using ubuntu 10.04... Does anyone have ideas what i should do?

after a bit of research i got it to work by editing the user.reg file to list the d3dx9_43 to native,builtin. It works, however as usual with a significant reduction in fps

Anyone playing on gentoo? I chose that distro after my windows crashed and burned. Almost done with the install.
    Intel i5 760 2.8 GHz @ 3.6GHz Overclocked ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB 900MHz GPU, 1300MHz Memory, 1080p display 8 GB(4x2GB) DDR3 RAM Biostar TP55 Motherboard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast