+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Guide: Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks

since about 9am this morning, it's 5:40pm here.

It worked back when i was on windows 7, but I've not got it working on Ubuntu (which I installed yesterday) and I'm playing from home, on my own computer, I am the only user.
    Last edited by Belwickety; 03-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Proud member of The Hammerfist Clan A multi game community.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Belwickety View Post
    since about 9am this morning, it's 5:40pm here.

It worked back when i was on windows 7, but I've not got it working on Ubuntu (which I installed yesterday) and I'm playing from home, on my own computer, I am the only user.
    Ok - Is there anything different network-wise between your Win7 and Ubuntu computers? (i.e. is one hardwired vs the other wireless or do you have them on different networks)? Also, did you use winetricks to install d3dx9? It's also been suggested (although I didn't do this) to also use winetricks to install vcrun2008(?).

One more thing on your install - did you have the Beta installed (but perhaps didn't play it) in Ubuntu then try to patch or install over top of it? If so, that could cause problems and you'll probably want to install Rift in it's own 'bottle' (I outlined in an earlier post in this thread).

That gets me thinking further - did you install rift without using a 'bottle'? Perhaps along with other MS Windows apps in the same wine install? If so, try to install again in it's own 'bottle'.

it's exactly hte same computer, the only hting that's changed is hte operating system.

I had windows 7 set up witht eh beta client, I reinstalled the OS between beta 7 and headstart, and the client was working fine for the head start with windows 7. I then installed Ubuntu, wiping windows 7 in the proccess.

I installed it with winetricks yus, no it's not in a bottle

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Belwickety View Post
    it's exactly hte same computer, the only hting that's changed is hte operating system.

I had windows 7 set up witht eh beta client, I reinstalled the OS between beta 7 and headstart, and the client was working fine for the head start with windows 7. I then installed Ubuntu, wiping windows 7 in the proccess.

I installed it with winetricks yus, no it's not in a bottle
    Ok - Perhaps try this:

Redownload the executable from Trion

Rerun the executable (i.e. wine RIFT_Live_Patcher.exe)

That *should* try to reinstall over top but should check the files that are already in place. Also, it could be you have a bad launcher/patcher install and this might fix it.

Outside of that, I would try just plain reinstall into a different bottle.

If neither of those work, make sure you're not blocking it somehow, network-wise.

will give that a go, ty.

I doubt it's a network block issue, as the OH's computer is running rift happily.

Shadowlander

You can actually use OpenGL and thus use your full hardware potential: (quoting from winehq)

hey guys when installing this please do it in its own prefix so that you can make the changes that are needed.

If this is your only game on wine no probs just download wine1.3 wine1.3-dev and winetricks

then use winetricks to install corefonts and d3d9 aka directx9

after this you can continue to modify some settings to swap shadows for anti-aliasing.

and make it so you use all of your computers potential.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    you can do this by opening a terminal and typing wine regedit unless you use prefixes then you should know what prefix then regedit.

go to hkey_current_user>software>wine

right click on wine and make new key Driect3D

click on Direct3D

Add the below as strings | Then double click on it to edit and put in the below | info
    |
    DirectDrawRenderer | opengl
    Multisampling | enabled
    OffscreenRenderingMode | backbuffer or fbo | use fbo if you want shadows, use backbuffer if you want multisampling
    UseGLSL | enabled
    VertexShaderMode | hardware

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That will get you your anti-aliasing however for a full hardware config don't close this

First thing to do is find out what graphics card you got so open terminal and type in:
    lspci -n

Go down the page on the second column till you see 0300 now the digits next to that for me are 10de:06cd (rev a3) and the row below are 10de:0be5 (rev a1)

ok basically what this tells us is 10de is my graphics card vendor so add 0x to the front of it so it looks like 0x10de and google it, for me this is nvidia. you probably already know what yours is but these numbers are important.

the 10de:0be5 (rev a1) is my on-board graphics and is to be ignored

So recap
    0x10de = nvidia
    0x06cd = my pci graphics card the geforece gtx 270

so back to the registry in the same place as the other stuff you put in and add the string

String | Setting | About
    |
    VideoPciDeviceID | 0x06cd | Use your own not mine
    VideoPciVendorID | 0x10de | Use your own not mine
    VideoMemorySize | 1280 | how many megabites your graphics card has - Use your own not mine

Soulwalker

I did your install exactly, can get it to start up, but look at this. can anyone help me figure out wth to do with this? character body is completely invisible and everything is black.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9671/screenshott.png

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3...eenshot1oo.png

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by xPhearx View Post
    I did your install exactly, can get it to start up, but look at this. can anyone help me figure out wth to do with this? character body is completely invisible and everything is black.

Ok - at the login screen, click on the 'Settings' button and under video, go to advanced. If it's not already checked, use 'low graphics renderer' then apply, quit out of the game, and come back. That really looks like a graphics card and/or driver issue.

Are you using an onboard video card?

Soulwalker

yeah its an onboard =\

thoguht cause I have a load of memory on this rig it wouldnt be that much of a problem. as far as fps's

but yeah im thinking same thing now after pondering a bit. maybe update a driver and will prob end up still not being able to cause the game doesnt support my onboard pos >.<

Soulwalker

ok I have the updated drivers, it seems like the card, though it is just an integrated should at least be able to render a character so its not invisible and everythign isnt black. it has something to o with wine and the installation. any other ideas? please help rly want to play this on my ubuntu rig

I'm attempting this right now on the rig in my sig (on my spare hard drive). We'll see how it goes...
    i7 950 @ 4.2 | EVGA GTX 570 | ASUS Rampage III Formula | 6GB A-DATA 1600MHz | GSkill Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD

Healing the masses
    Cleric Sentinal/Warden - Sunrest RP-PvP - Name: Eithera

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by xPhearx View Post

I'm having this same issue on my laptop. HP dv6000 with onboard nVidia card. The use low quality renderer check box is greyed out for me, I can't check it. Any ideas how to fix this?
    Last edited by hijynx; 03-07-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Soulwalker

And here are some screenshots of what I'm seeing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guide:  Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks-screenshot.jpg   Guide:  Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks-screenshot-1.jpg   Guide:  Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks-screenshot-2.jpg   Guide:  Installing Rift on Linux Ubuntu 10.10 with Winetricks-screenshot-3.jpg  

my hard drive had epically failed itself into oblivion
    Stopped reading right here. Anybody who speaks like this is nobody I want to take advice from.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Good job mane , gotta hand it to ya.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast