+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Framerate

Default Framerate

Hi All,

I blew up my computer.

I'm left with an 8GB DDR3 machine, with an Intel i5 and a 2GB DDR3 GPU. Cooling isn't that fantastic, just a fan really.

Any reason why I'm only getting 25-30 fps even on low quality render with all sliders set to low?

Any way I can increase the graphics on this thing or what? I don't have the cooling for overclocking the CPU and to be honest, going from 55-60fps in combat, on max graphics, to 30fps looking at the floor on low quality graphics is a bit shocking. Can't surely be that bad on an 8GB DDR3 machine with a semi good processor and a 2GB DDR3 GPU. :/

Ascendant

Your memory is fine... your CPU should be fine too . . . describing a video card as a 2GB DDR3 video card could mean a lot of things. What video card is it specifically?

If you are unsure, just run dxdiag, save the output to a file on your desktop, open it up, copy and past in the entire "Display Devices" section in to the post.

I can't really offer you any help with this, but -

I think you posted in the wrong section, OP.

I hope you get this problem sorted out soon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasur Arkinshade View Post
    I can't really offer you any help with this, but -

I think you posted in the wrong section, OP.

I hope you get this problem sorted out soon, though.
    RIFT Guides and Strategies > Misc > Technical

:P

I THINK, it's an ATI Radeon HD 5450 2GB DDR3 - I know it's of that series, because I bought it for this machine as an upgrade from the 1GB DDR2 I had in it before.

Ascendant

Then you've found your problem, the 5450 is designed to be a low power home theater type card for playing face book games, watching movies, checking e-mail and those kind of things . . . not 3D games in any way, shape, or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Then you've found your problem, the 5450 is designed to be a low power home theater type card for playing face book games, watching movies, checking e-mail and those kind of things . . . not 3D games in any way, shape, or form.
    What's that got to do with anything? 2GB's of DDR3 GPU is 2GB's of DDR3 GPU. It's dedicated memory and it works just lovely on GTA4 full graphics, it also worked just lovely on WoW with semi max-to-max graphics, easy pulled 40fps on this machine.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    What's that got to do with anything? 2GB's of DDR3 GPU is 2GB's of DDR3 GPU. It's dedicated memory and it works just lovely on GTA4 full graphics, it also worked just lovely on WoW with semi max-to-max graphics, easy pulled 40fps on this machine.
    It's a really really slow video card designed to watch movies on. They put 2GB of RAM on if for people who seem to think the amount of RAM will help a really really slow GPU.

You would get better performance out of a Intel i3 on board card for 3D . . . http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html

That's what it has to do with anything.
    Last edited by Sariina; 06-07-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    It's not memory that determines the speed of a graphic card, but the GPU chip. WOW is 8 years old game that hasn't changed its graphic engine since launch and you will see better performance in such games when comparing to Rift.
    Last edited by fitness; 06-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.

I know the RAM doesn't determine how good the 3D graphics are, and I know the GPU isn't made better by just having more RAM on the card. But it seemed strange how it runs GTA4, WoW and other 3D games with much higher graphics settings - and 20 or so more FPS.

Hmmm... maybe I'll try the onboard card then. I'm going to have to get my other PC fixed. I had cooling issues and built a home made waterpipe throughout the inside of the tower, that ran on a ford fiesta's waterpump and powered by a small electric motor.

It worked GREAT, and kept the inside of the machine really cool, CPU and internal temperature was good and everything ran really nice. I'd pulled 60fps in world pvp with graphics on max, 20vs20 raids with no problems. But the piping leaked after a while and the pump forced water inside the whole machine, covered everything. Looked as though some of the sharper solders that I left on there, on the board, had pierced the rubber tubing on joints, when the pump was switched on the tubes would be put under pressure, kind of like when turning a hose-pipe on. It pressed against the board and burst.

Quite annoying really but I spent a lot of money on that machine and so I'm dubious about spending it again to rebuild it. I've tried each part in another machine and had no luck booting up.

I'll try the onboard graphics, and start looking for a more powerful video card.

make sure the card settings are application controlled if not already
    some default forced settings disagree with some setups
    who took my names!

Rift Disciple

While water cooling can and do wonders, I myself is not huge fan of it. Water and electronic parts do not mix together well. If you are looking into overclocking or just prefer to keep things cool, I would suggest to invest into a good aftermarket coolers or manufactured water cooling components.

Well I did have a watercooling unit that was purchased from DynoPC a while back, but it didn't quite keep the CPU a cool as I needed. So with the tubing I used, the water flowing through stayed cold all the time and with the ability to feed tubing right under the board, under the CPU, and back around the board again to go over the CPU, it kept it amazingly cool. Worked really really well, but I just needed more work in my design, the tubes were weak and hence, pierced and ruptured over time.

Next time, I will use very thin, solid plastic piping - and approach it more like a plumber. Lol!

Rift Disciple

Most CPUs are being stress tested by manufacturers at or close to 100 C (212 F). If your CPU is running at or close to 60-70 C (140-160 F), you are fine. Keeping it completely cool is a fine task, however do not go extreme

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by fitness View Post
    Most CPUs are being stress tested by manufacturers at or close to 100 C (212 F). If your CPU is running at or close to 60-70 C (140-160 F), you are fine. Keeping it completely cool is a fine task, however do not go extreme
    I agree here... my cooler was 20 buck on sale and all 4 cores under a high heat stress test hit a max 62c (overclocked from 3.4Ghz to 4Ghz). Why go more complicated than this? Sure it looks kind of neat and fund to build, but useful? Not really.

sry, but this is not the place for a video card e-peen race... to the facts i5 is an amazing CPU for rift because rift is MORE cpu intensive then it is GPU intensive... if you would like benchmark proof of this please pm me! yes, rift requires allot of gpu power... but when it gets down to the dirty of raiding its almost ALL CPU....

an i5+ that AMD video card should be MORE then enuff to handle rift... are you attempting to gauge your FPS while in meridian? while raiding?

my old system was an i5 with a single slot 1gb 6750 and i ran rift on ultra every day...

DO NOT READ IN TO THE 2 GIGS OF GPU RAM! This means VERY little in your gpu's performance UNLESS YOU ARE GAMING ON 3-5 MONITORS!!!!!!!!!

Advice: update all drivers... if this does not work... im not really suprised rift + AMD products = failure... go buy a EVGA GTX480 for 199$ and blow everything out of the water til the 580 (yes including 560ti's you dumb nublets) =D if you would like benchmarking proof on how 480>all til 580+ just feel free to contact me!
    Rank 50 Warrior
    7/8 ID --- 4/4 PF
    /yawn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast