+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GrinchyIzzy

Thread: Pvp build for mage?

Soulwalker

Default Pvp build for mage?

Hi, I've been using mage for quite a while now, and I've been using pyromancer build. Pyro 61, 12 storm, and 3 elem. I don't have harb and I understand it plays an important part of the pyro build, I just don't have the money for the role. Anyways, I'm getting kind of bored of pyro, it's strong sure, but It's not as fun anymore. I pvp a lot, and I was wondering if anyone knows maybe a new style for me? I'm down to try anything. I've tried warlock/storm, it's different. And I've tried chloro which I have to rework, it's pretty fun just healing lol. So what would you have to say would be a good pvp build as a mage. For someone who doesn't have any soul packs.
    Should i stick to pyromancer? It's strong sure, but it's defensive play style is terrible. Help a fellow mage out (: thanks in advance.

Champion

Besides Chloro and Pyromancer you have Dominator which is real good in PvP, you donīt even need skill to **** your enemies up ^^
    Other than that, there are no other viable F2P Souls for PvP. Maybe Warlock after the buff, but I donīt really think so.

<Transcendent>

Shadowlander

Warlock is actually very very viable to play in pvp.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrinchyIzzy View Post
    Hi, I've been using mage for quite a while now, and I've been using pyromancer build. Pyro 61, 12 storm, and 3 elem. I don't have harb and I understand it plays an important part of the pyro build, I just don't have the money for the role. Anyways, I'm getting kind of bored of pyro, it's strong sure, but It's not as fun anymore. I pvp a lot, and I was wondering if anyone knows maybe a new style for me? I'm down to try anything. I've tried warlock/storm, it's different. And I've tried chloro which I have to rework, it's pretty fun just healing lol. So what would you have to say would be a good pvp build as a mage. For someone who doesn't have any soul packs.
    Should i stick to pyromancer? It's strong sure, but it's defensive play style is terrible. Help a fellow mage out (: thanks in advance.
    Pyro is good for the utilities, especially the CC breaks when mixed with SC (Flicker, Break Free, Fading Light, Ride the Wind), and if you do it right, it's also pretty mobile, which helps a great deal. Is it boring? Yep. But it's also effective.

When it comes to defense, Pyro is also pretty strong with CC's and interrupts, including an interrupt tied to a debilitate. For a last ditch, your snare can get you enough time to create a gap between you and whoever is attacking you. If nothing else, there's always the mage cage if you have the PA for it.

If you want to try something new, try Dominator, although a healing soul is always a good choice, too. I've just made a new Dom spec (my old one was from chocolate Rift), but I haven't had the time yet to play around with it, relearn it, and see how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhume View Post
    Warlock is actually very very viable to play in pvp.
    This. Warlock is especially good in close quarter areas like Bronze Tomb and Library because of Radiate Death (in my opinion, like all of this), but strong multi-dotting in other warfronts is good, too. Warlock has the bonus of more HP, but also fewer CC breaks. However, you also get 2 Interrupts (and a debilitate with Choke), Fear and Mass Fear (instant cast, and you might catch someone whose Break Free is on cooldown)

Rather than Lock/SC, you might try 61 Warlock/ 10 Necro/ 5 Chloro since you'll pick up Necrosis as another dot that does decent damage for those nearly constant Consuming Agony procs. My warlock spec is 9 Necro/6 Harb, but if you don't have the Harb soul, the 10/5 should work okay.

Sorry for the wall of text, and happy hunting!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel
    The Dimension Touring Company: Dimension Tours - Building Tips
    Tips 'n Tricks Live! Saturdays @ 1100 AM NA Server

Soulwalker

Thank you all for your responds, again sorry for late reply. I followed your ideas, I'm using warlock a lot in pvp now, and I absolutely love it. I also went the route for pyro and chloro. It's nice to have a switch. Once I figure out harbinger, (Which i bought finally, totally worth it), I'm going to try that out as well. Thanks all!

+ Reply to Thread