+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage 1v1

Shadowlander

Default Mage 1v1

Since NMT I've been having alot of trouble with my dueling specs, I've been having a hard time beating much of anything. I used to use Cdom and Harb/arb/chloro, but both are dying to inq, and rogues, in addition to warriors occasionly. Any suggestions?

RIFT Guide Writer

Well, pyro.
    Use 13sc/2dom for Ride the Wind as an extra break free and Thunderbolt as an extra interrupt.
    With that im able to 1v1 nearly everything, i have most problems with 61 Nightblades.
    killings - Mage - Apotheosys - Typhiria

RIFT Guide Writer

The extra point in Living Storm means you can cackle in glee as your AE interrupt caps!
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    The extra point in Living Storm means you can cackle in glee as your AE interrupt caps!
    This! But keep it on the dl, i dont want everyone to suddenly know whats going on.
    BIS pvp spell tho.

Shadowlander

I feel like pyro is way to squishy for 1v1

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Daxeon View Post
    I feel like pyro is way to squishy for 1v1
    It hits like a truck tho, you just need to get used to it a bit.
    Once you get a feeling on how to handle most specs that come at you its really not that bad.

Just to give an example, i like to say that when its Pyro vs Pyro the first guy to stun loses.
    That doesnt always apply but i say this because the Pyro that stuns first will cast Fusilade around 80% of the time straight after it (made up stats ftw). So i make a point of always starting out with Heatwave, after that its just a matter of time. Either they stun you and cast Fusilade to which you instantly break free, counterstun and cast your own Fusilade or they do something stupid.
    In my mind most of the times i 1v1 a Pyro its over as soon as i cast Heatwave and they dont.

Obviously this is always situational and depends a lot on what cooldowns you have ready. It also gets trickier with some classes. As i said i still havent really figured out how to beat a good Nightblade.
    Its also why i pick 2 points in dom instead of harb, sacrificing a bit of spellpower for that 2nd rupt is more than worth it imo. It might not seem like much but that bit of utility a 2nd ogcd rupt gives you just opens up so much more wiggle room. Especially against casters.

Tbh the damage isnt even the main reason i prefer Pyro in pvp. Its the utility. Yes its squishy but theres just so much you can get out of that spec.
    And trust me ive played a lot of weird specs in pvp. Ive played around with all sort of hybrids but i still havent found anything i like over 13sc/2dom Pyro.

Sword of Telara

If using pyro to 1v1 an inq or pyro, things tend to go a lot better if you use burn to interrupt their first channel. That way, if they break free and immediately try the next one then you still have scorch left over to stop it - if you do it the other way around then they can be CC immune so you're unable to catch their second channel using burn.

Saying that, inq's CC immunity makes this a little harder to do.
    Last edited by Foolio; 01-30-2015 at 07:26 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    If using pyro to 1v1 an inq or pyro, things tend to go a lot better if you use burn to interrupt their first channel. That way, if they break free and immediately try the next one then you still have scorch left over to stop it - if you do it the other way around then they can be CC immune so you're unable to catch their second channel using burn.

Saying that, inq's CC immunity makes this a little harder to do.
    Thats why 2dom for Thunder Blast is so good ^^

Quote Originally Posted by paschl View Post
    Obviously this is always situational and depends a lot on what cooldowns you have ready. It also gets trickier with some classes. As i said i still havent really figured out how to beat a good Nightblade.
    I can't think of a good way for a pyro to counter a NB. I use 12 BD, 3 RS as offsouls. 12 for weapon barrage (int/debilitate), sprint, and flash of steel. If you root me, I can break it with either blazing path or flash of steel. If you try and flicker and /or ride the wind, I can shadow shift and sprint (+50% movement) or use flash of steel if I haven't used it; now you're rooted and don't have much CC/utility left. I'll be snaring you with twilight force, so kiting won't be possible.

My initial burst will get you down to about 50-60% hp. As you CC and try to kite, my dots will take off another 6000-8000 hp. Once you're at sub 30%, it's pretty much game over.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by asianguywithacamera View Post
    I can't think of a good way for a pyro to counter a NB. I use 12 BD, 3 RS as offsouls. 12 for weapon barrage (int/debilitate), sprint, and flash of steel. If you root me, I can break it with either blazing path or flash of steel. If you try and flicker and /or ride the wind, I can shadow shift and sprint (+50% movement) or use flash of steel if I haven't used it; now you're rooted and don't have much CC/utility left. I'll be snaring you with twilight force, so kiting won't be possible.

My initial burst will get you down to about 50-60% hp. As you CC and try to kite, my dots will take off another 6000-8000 hp. Once you're at sub 30%, it's pretty much game over.
    Yeah ive played around with a guildmate an hour ago and i couldnt find a way. Without that OP heal it would be close but i cant find a way to stop them from casting it.
    But one day ill find a way to kill a NB, mark my words!

Yeah ive played around with a guildmate an hour ago and i couldnt find a way. Without that OP heal it would be close but i cant find a way to stop them from casting it.
    The only mage spec that causes issue is harb with 8-12 points in chloro because of self-heals, snares and stuns. Once TT is used, you have 119 seconds to kill an NB and harb/chlor hybrid has enough dps and self-heals for survival. It'll be a longer fight but 1v1 isn't always about the most dps.

Soulwalker

Cool

there are 3 more tricks that can provide some aid for a pyro in 1vs1 combats (with NB..or practically any1)

first of all - none of u mentioned about rift tomb? correct? with the long cd - it's nothing that I would macro but it's gr8 to have it somewhere on bar -in combo with break-free or any other cc-breaking skill - I would simply ping-pong a rogue that's rushing with Flash of steel on me [cough.cough] at least - in theory ;) ...afterwards - regardless of fact that enemy most likely got some spare cc-break, I would hit Internalize Charge in case he's smart and decides to wait it out a a bit, rather than panic and break it out asap(in case of 1vs1 ofc), with abit of luck you get even a bonus - since most mele will burn their best temporarily dps-booster skills just be4 making a jump at you (or right after...or both ) - rift tomb makes the time he spends away - working for u -but don't get 2 comfy - it's more a bonus than granted and after a dual or 2 with same fella....if he's still falling for it - change your sparing-partner ^^

secondly - there is still that Rune Shield from pvp tab of planar attunement (I suppose that mentioning to put a Burning Shield at most of ur macros isn't necessary) while normally I don't use it, (since it's really a waste of charge in over 90% times), for 1vs1 - especially if I got the insta cinder or about to hit with some uber charge generator, that will bring me to edge of charge starvation(ekhm....from the good side of that edge ofc.) - I would have a second thoughts on using RS for sure

and last but not least- while there is ongoing debate if the Arcane Manipulation is better than E.F. - for pvp use of pyro(or any other pvp-ing mage) - I wouldn't bother with anything else than phantom stream, not only it's mobile dps channel but it might be that self-healing edge you were looking for to beat the enemy down be4 it over for u

I could mention about Vampiric Essence cuz not sure how it would work in 1vs1, for mages in warfronts -imo, it sux and better to go with the sp bonus on main (or 2h since most mages runs with Totek's nowadays)
    Last edited by Lacri; 02-22-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Only chloro can remove tt with blight, this is why chloro/harb hybrid was godly against nbs (and against everything else ) before NT. I didn't do a single duel since new expansion, but my imagine is: chloro harb cant outlast nb burst with the healing penalty what we have now. TT is just simply broken, its should be fixed already.

Yes tombing a nb while burst phase can be good, but nb has 2 break free so its cause just a few sec delay if he has quick reflex.

If you find out that build please not keep it to yourself
    Sheona/Faynee <VANEN> , <Apotheosys>

+ Reply to Thread