+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Snap

Thread: Mage is the new boss.

Soulwalker

Default Mage is the new boss.

Now I submit my guide for pvp.
    Take the class mage and win.
    With the mage, you have very high damage, high defense and also the ability to heal yourself.
    With mage you are a god now

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Epilos View Post
    With the mage, you have very high damage, high defense and also the ability to heal yourself.
    I bet you have never played the inquisitor soul.

Try Inq then come back and edit ur post.

Soulwalker

in reality, I've never even used the mage, but I'm seeing that mages and clerics are now the rulers in the battlefield.

Plane Touched

10 second window both mage and cleric is able to deal a full players worth of dmg (75-80K dmg), ignores armor. Cleric has the better CC for the burst window and can drop anything, also has a purge...mage's with luck have sick burst have seen 5 crits in a row from them and I dropped like a fly.

On a rogue in that 10second window, doesn't matter what spec you use you will be lucky to reach 65K dmg done to any caster in raid gear.

I think you might be giving the mage class WAY too much credit. While you do have very high damage (even if you aren't geared) it does have its flaws.

It doesn't do well against melee, you need to stay still to cast most of the spells you have or else you kill your dps. And idk if this is just me, but I feel pretty squishy especially when it comes to the "flavor of the month" specs.

While Chloromancer is easy in pve, the same cannot be said for pvp. While you can heal others well, its a real pain trying to heal yourself.

In other words, Mage is no where near godlike, but that certainly doesn't mean that it isn't worth playing.
    Shaolonfeng - Lvl 65 Warrior Khazeshini - Lvl 65 Mage
    Natsuno - Lvl 65 Rogue Erystar - Lvl 65 Cleric Tereni - Lvl 8 Primalist
    Grump Queen, Gives no S**ts, Mindless Pyromancer, Full-time Raid Healer

Love playing my Chloro in PVP, it's really nice when you have a healing friend to go with you who will take care of your backside so your not focused and dead. Chloro's are really wonderful healers and it's exciting to manage everything a Chloro manages and PVP! If your an average Chloro like myself and you go alone, it's pretty much a given that you will be running back from the penalty box a good deal even when you are toggling your charge consumers while spells are traveling through the air and saving a few CDs for yourself.

But Pyro is another story... watching the person your firing at is very much like watching a slot machine. Sometimes you have few crits and only small spells are the ones that crit. These are the moments nobody remembers b/c it's either a dead Mage or a sprinting and flickering for the hills Mage.

Other times, stars are lining up above your head and it's pretty remarkable actually how many things can go right at the same time. 2 weak spells to buff yourself and then your instant cast 30 second cooldown crits and immediately procs an instant cast of your other 30 second CD and it crits as well... then you start hurling fireballs with your 1 minute cool down and every other one crits. (meanwhile your weapons, trinkets, essences, crystals ect... proc just for good measure) The dot you applied to buff yourself can be triggered by another spell which casts instantly but travels through the air like a snail. Normally the dot that is triggered is about the size of a fireball but it can crit along with the spell that triggers it for an incredible amount of icing on the cake. It's moments like these where you are almost as astonished as the person who is surely dead and is looking through their damage like what on earth.

God rained down fire on them... not the Mage who could do exactly the same thing over and over with a different result. I used to enjoy hoping for the best with my Pyro but now I'm sick of it. As you gain experience with the build, you're always planning for the worst and not the other way around which is sad really. When your hoping a flag carrier dies or vital person and you have rotten luck it can get to your head and make you never want to Pyro again. As a 1225 hit Mage who has total mastery of Pyro, it is still frustrating. Clerics can force some of their spells to crit with a spell before it that will cause the spell after it to crit (which is pretty awesome).

This last point I hope helps you actually. A good player knows how to shut down a Pyro: First they purge off your armor (this makes two of our 1 minute cool downs and all fireballs far less effective until we get our stacks up again). Second, they interrupt our third 1 minute cool down channel cast which reduces the mages damaging mobility a good deal in the process of reducing damage. I recommend working with a guild mate on how to use purges and interrupts properly on Pyros. It won't be me that you are shutting down (unless I'm already having a lucky day) because I refuse to use an unreliable weapon like Pyro is on a regular basis. 90% of the time I'm healing and 5% i'm in Dom. 3rd thing people do to Mages is pull them around. It usually interrupts whatever we are doing and sends us running for our lives. Being a Mage and running for your life go hand in hand. Personally, I remember players who have allowed me to cast on them without doing anything about it and go after them over and over again because getting purged and interrupted is no fun. There are people who just stand there are take it who I cast on while I am waiting for cool downs to come back.

Pyro is fine for PVE, I'm usually right up there with other classes because the duration of the fight levels out your crit luck. Usually I'm about even at the top of the pack with my friends on fights which are more stationary and more behind on fights where there is more movement because Pyro's need to stand still to cast many things.
    Last edited by detpack; 06-22-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Necro is the new boss.
    Cheesecakesandwich - Mage 70 | Wrecking - Warrior 70
    Italiansausage - Cleric 70 | Snaplemouton - Rogue 67
    Primalsandwich - Primalist 70
    I'm a grand connoisseur of the most delicate dish known as the poutine.

+ Reply to Thread