+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bneal

Thread: Oraclaman: A PVP Guide by Bneal [2.8]

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Oraclaman: A PVP Guide by Bneal [2.8]

Hi. I feel that 41 Oracle - 31 Shaman, or Oraclaman, is under-appreciated now.

This is an extremely powerful warfront build that features the best twelve second burst in the game (4700 dps with my relic gear), a ranged interrupt, a double cleanse, run speed buff, raid stat buffs, decent sustained damage (within 10% of inquisitor), and more.

When we want to kill someone the rotation looks something like this:
    Curse of Consumption* -> Wasting Insignia** -> Glacial Insignia*** -> BURST MACRO til Battle Fury expires -> Wasting Insignia/Glacial Insignia if the target isn't dead -> enter the sustained rotation.

*Skip Curse of Consumption if the target will be dead in 15 seconds or less. Don't skip it if it'll make the difference on our burst killing them.
    **Cast Emblem of Ice before Wasting Insignia to buff it if it'll make the difference of our burst killing them. Also cast an Emblem-of-Ice-buffed Marrow Harvest if it'll make the difference of a kill.
    ***If it's up, and using the GCD won't disallow our burst to kill the target. Further explanation: A Battle Fury will frequently allow us to kill two or more persons in the 10-12 second window it's active. In the same vein, if our target is close to death, begin looking to who our next target will be so as not to lose any Battle Fury time.

Sustained Rotation:
    A big part of Oracle's DPS comes from alternating between casting an Emblem and an Insignia. Therefore, we'll cast Emblem of Ice or Pain -> Spam macro -> repeat. This is our "filler." I'll get to how to decide whether to cast Emblem of Ice or Pain in a moment, but first understand that we'll want to weave in abilities depending on the situation. If we've got 2 or more people attacking someone, it's probably a good idea to cast Corroded Defense. If we've got two or more physical DPS attacking someone, Curse of Frailty. All of our utility† abilities are useful in this way, read their tooltips and understand them.
    The decision to cast Emblem of Pain or Ice is: Choose Emblem of Ice unless you've got stacks of Tainted Emblems on the target (The icon looks like that of Emblem of Pain), in which case cast Emblem of Pain. This will only happen after a Battle Fury.

†DPS abilities not mentioned in this guide are not useful.

BURST macro:
    Code:
    #show Battle Fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rage of the North
    cast Battle Fury
    cast Glacial Insignia
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Insignia of Blood
    cast Emblem of Alacrity
    SPAM macro:
    Code:
    #show Glacial Insignia
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Glacial Insignia
    cast Massive Blow
    cast Insignia of Blood
    cast Emblem of Alacrity
    Interrupt @focus macro:
    Code:
    #show Bitter Wind
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus Bitter Wind
    3 buffs in one macro:
    Code:
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [notactive] Heart of the Frozen Sea
    cast Courage of the Bear
    cast Vengeance of the Winter Storm
    General Tips:
    *Discerning Wave is a great skill to cast outside of your Battle Fury when you'll hit a bunch of targets with it. It can also un-stealth rogues. Remember to wait 3 seconds after a vanish to hit a stealthed rogue.
    *Move when you cast your SPAM macro to cast Emblem of Alacrity when necessary.
    *Ride the Lightning FTW.
    *Use Ageless Ice for your mana regen ability.
    *Defensive Favor or Marshaled Favor stacks with Favor of the Current if you've got another Support.
    *This build scales extremely well with Crit Power. Get more.

Hardcore Tip:
    *Pre-cast Rage of the North, open up on someone with your NON-BURST abilities when it's at about 8 seconds remaining to maximize a burst.
    Last edited by Bneal; 10-30-2014 at 03:23 AM.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet... How good is this compared to an inquisitor? And IK this is a pvp guide, but could this be like the cleric's pyrochon in pve?
    Last edited by Illuyanka; 11-26-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Illuyanka View Post
    but could this be like the cleric's pyrochon in pve?
    No - 61 point Defend the Fallen is just too good to pass up in PvE.
    Seon Ronpeth @ Leviathan
    <Perfect Balance>
    70WHM 70AST 70SCH 70SMN 70DRK 70BLM 70 RDM70 NIN70 DRG Disciple of Hand & Land

Yeah, that 12 sec window of great burst is fun....
    What i didn't like when i tried this spec in WFs was the total lack of defensive abilities of any kind... the passive 10% dmg mitigation doesn't make up for it, once you get targeted you are dead.
    All in all i think it's good for a change, but i prefer the 61 Inquisitor hands down.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=806168&dateline=13715  70211

Just tried this spec in wfs. The burst is amazing, but the rest of the time you hace to do ok-ish dps. Has better burst than muy pyro and inq, but les sustained. Les survibability, much less cc, squishy as a jellyfish but a ton of mobility + raid support.
    Illuyanka@Greybriar-Mage
    Ixxtab@Greybriar-Rogue
    Mets@Greybriar-Cleric
    Antaikolon@Greybriar-Warrior
    CODE FOR FREE STUFF FOR NEWBIES: PRR9NF2PG2NXQ77KDDJQ

RIFT Guide Writer

I parsed this in 3.0 and the DPS is about 80% of Inquisitor's. That's sustained. The burst is a good 42% better than Inquisitor's. I read the comments so far, and this is not a solo spec. Going into a Warfront solo and expecting to do well with the average pug will not go as well as it would with Inquisitor. Where this spec shines is when it accomplishes what other specs can't. When you're facing heavy curses and/or when run speed will benefit your team significantly, and/or when sustained damage is much less important than burst (read: many competent enemy healers are present) this spec will come out on top.

Seonronpeth is acutally right about Oraclaman relative to Pyrochon. Pyrochon can be said to be used for a maximum DPS spec that has Flaring Power. The DPS we gain using this spec over 61 Oracle does not justify losing Defend the Fallen.

Maul STK- I don't know what 10% damage mitigation you're talking about? This spec does seem to lack defensive capabilities, however, Overload, Soul Stream (especially with a cast @self macro), and run speed do work. In fact, the use of Insoles (I prefer Spongy Insoles), Run Speed, and an optional Charged Mirror can effectively kite many players.

Champion of Telara

I have more fun paring 41 Oracle with Warden. Not as much DPS but still a good burst every minute and the synergy between the two makes Geyser a 1s spammable ability that hits about 90% as hard as a primary bolt. Also at 32 Warden you can get two 80% Tidal Surges off in the Burst Window. If it weren't for Rage of the North, the Warden version would probably be completely superior.

There is lots of variety between Battle Fury, Emblem of Alacrity, Emblem of Ice, and Tidal Surge, like gigantic Discerning Wave hits (EoI-TS-DW for a 50k delve AoE), Overflowing Renewal spam with BF, and lots of raid type healing from Geyser.

Both are fun. The Druid version is also very nice, somewhat less bursty but way better survivability and utility. RotN always gives the Shaman version the top burst though.

+ Reply to Thread