+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bneal

Thread: Defiler: A PVP Guide by Bneal [2.7]

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Defiler: A PVP Guide by Bneal [2.7]

A number of guides have been done on Defiler in PVE (this is a good one) and yet imo none have done justice to Defiler in PVP. I've been asked by a number of people to make a guide for the PVP Defiler, and here it is. Enjoy.

*Spoilers denote information which is no longer relevant.

Defiler plays very differently in PVP than it does in PVE. In PVE we're essentially a Link bot who puts up weak DPS (relative to other support souls), and perhaps throw out occasional spot heals. We're doing very little of the overall healing. In contrast, Defiler in PVP is a main healer, frequently topping Healing Done in a Warfront. The PVE defiler builds in PVP are garbage, and I do not recommend them. In Warfronts, I'll tend to choose Defiler to heal with unless we have adequate Link coverage (which I must say is very rare in today's meta-game), in which case I'd probably choose Sentinel, unless the increased survivability that Purifier offers is more appealing. We'll talk more about that later. In CQ, a Defiler in your raid is ideal. I haven't lead CQ, but I think all of our <Hello Kitty> leads will agree with me on this.

Without further adieu, let's learn how to play it.

The build: 61 / 15 sent / 0 warden
    Spoiler!

The Deficab: 61 / 11 cab / 4 sent

Spoiler!
    The Deficab will provide marginal gains to survivability in certain small scale PVP scenarios.

Spoiler!

Rotation and spell cast priorities:
    Defiler doesn't really have a rotation per se. The bulk of our healing is done thus: Casting Hideous Reconstruction; and Casting Explosive Growth, then "proccing it" with one of: Loathsome Restoration, Ghastly Restoration, or Feedback. Note that Hideous Reconstruction becomes far more powerful with the Warlord level Synergy Crystal. To play Defiler is to maximize your HPS by managing your mana, and to keep everyone, or at least the most important people, alive. Hideous Reconstruction is mana efficient ability; whereas Explosive Growth -> proccing it is a mana intensive one. We'll use our mana regen ability, Empowered Affliction, often. Explosive Growth -> proccing it heals for a large amount; we'll need to avoid over-healing if we have something else we could be doing, such as casting Empowered Affliction, Hideous Reconstruction, Healing Spray, or casting offensively. A Defiler's offensive abilities, like our healing abilities, don't really follow a rotation. Our offensive abilities are these: Bond of Pain/Torment/Affliction, Marrow Harvest, Siphon Vitality, Pain Transmission, Somatic Desecration, Waterjet, Banish, and Unholy Nexus. Read these abilities' tooltips to familiarize yourself with them.

Unstable Transformation:
    UT is an extremely powerful cooldown that will make someone basically invulnerable for 10 seconds, and if it doesn't full heal someone outright, will increase their healing received by 50%.

Links:
    Managing our Links effectively is integral to being a good Defiler. For this reason I highly recommend the AddOn DefilerFG. It's a simple AddOn that will display who we have Linked, and their Foul Growth stacks, in a movable window. By default, if we have someone Linked and want to Link another player with that Link, we need to right click that Link buff off ourself and then apply the Link. This is cumbersome and I don't recommend it. Instead, we make a macro:
    Code:
    #show Link of Agony
    cancelbuff Link of Agony
    cast Link of Agony
    Now we can apply Link of Agony to anyone lacking a Link with one click. This is called "Link swapping."

Code:
    #show Link of Suffering
    cancelbuff Link of Suffering
    cast Link of Suffering
    Code:
    #show Link of Misery
    cancelbuff Link of Misery
    cast Link of Misery
    Code:
    #show Link of Distress
    cancelbuff Link of Distress
    cast Link of Distress
    The best time to apply Links is during your Global Cooldown. Now, when we want to apply a greater Link to someone whom has a lesser Link on, we'll click our macro for the Link they have on, then the macro for the Link we want applied.

Buffs:
    Grief Blight
    Healer's Blessing
    Heroic Resolve
    Feast of the Fallen
    Rage Blight (overwrites Grief Blight. for advanced users only.)
    Chimera's Gift (lasts 5 minutes only. Reapply it as necessary; and at your discretion because it's an 8.75% of max-HP heal.)

Cleanse macro:
    Code:
    #show Jealous Intervention
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Jealous Intervention
    cast @self Jealous Intervention
    cast @group01 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group02 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group03 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group04 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group05 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group06 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group07 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group08 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group09 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group10 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group11 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group12 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group13 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group14 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group15 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group16 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group17 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group18 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group19 Jealous Intervention
    cast @group20 Jealous Intervention
    If you have any questions or comments please reply below.
    Last edited by Bneal; 01-30-2015 at 01:18 AM.

I run the second one damn pyro burst op !

Ascendant

Legit cleric right here all you pvp clerics take notes.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kiika View Post
    legit cleric right here all you pvp clerics take notes.
    noob noob noob is noob

+ Reply to Thread