+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ecru
  • 1 Post By Sinsaint
  • 1 Post By BelZoness

Thread: How to find and mark healers for dummies.

Shadowlander

Default How to find and mark healers for dummies.

There are three methods players can use to spot healers. Some are better than others. The third method requires an addon, which I will explain at that point in the post. This post will also cover marks and how to properly use them.

Finding Healers
    Method One: Using visuals.
    Healers glow. A lot. Heals don't have projectiles. So an easy way to spot a healer is simply just to find someone in the back that's constantly casting spells but not actually shooting any particles. This is not 100% effective, but it will take care of Purifiers (uses flamey stick on other bad guys, VERY annoying) and Sentinel (almost as annoying, harder to spot).

Method Two: Tab Spotting
    Healers target their buddies in order to heal them. So if you turn on "Show my target's target" in your interface>combat options, you can tab through bad guys and find someone that's targeting another bad guy. After all, you do not target your friends in a WF, right? Unless you're a pesky healer. Unfortunately, both Chloromancers and Wardens attack enemies to heal, so finding them can take a bit of time out of your murder spree.

Method Three: Perfect Tab Spotting (Requires addon Karuul Alert)
    Healers use buffs to make their heals even more annoying. You can spot these buffs as you tab through people. But who has time to sift through all of those stupid random healing and raid buffs just to find some useless Caregiver's Blessing? This is why I recommend Karuul Alert.

KAlert allows you to place icons on your UI when a specific criteria is met, and you can choose all sorts of things that this criteria can be. Like if the person you are targeting is a foe and has a specific buff active (like Caregiver's Blessing), I see a giant bloody skull that I like to imagine is a miraculous premonition of their face. Set up different Alerts for every buff only healers would use, like:

Caregiver's Blessing
    Healer's Blessing
    Bosun's Blessing
    Lifebound Veil
    Lifegiving Veil
    Grief Blight

Kalert can also be used to tell you when your target is casting an interruptible ability, like Spiritual Conflagration. This also makes it very useful for tanks in PvE.

Marking Healers
    You might think "Well, don't I just, like, mark them?", but you're stupid. That's why you're reading this.
    Not that you're wrong. You're right in marking them, but with WHAT?
    The obvious answer would be to use the healing symbols. This makes it REAL easy for the REALLY stupid people in your group to find healers and murder them dead. The real problem comes from two things:
    Time and unique marks.

The same mark cannot be on two different people. Sure, there are four different healing symbols, but what if you have more than four different healers? What if you want to mark your own healers so you can keep them from being dead? The answer? You give your healers different marks. It doesn't matter if stupid people don't understand why some people are marked and others don't, as stupid people won't come to rescue a healer in distress anyway.
    The only people who would ever help a healer are people who would understand that a healer would be marked as someone of importance in the first place. This is why I like to mark my healers with SHIELDS. This allows you to keep track of both team's healers, allow both teams to have uniform symbols (except when those ******s decide to put crowns on their own heads or something stupid like that), and it being a tanking symbol also CONFUSES THE F*** OUT OF THE ENEMY (just kidding, enemies cannot see the symbols your team places).

This is all true, except in Conquests. In Conquests, you might have 10 or so healers. In this scenario, just mark any healer you can spot with anything you want. A lot of people use the numbers.

If you have trouble marking a healer by right clicking on your target's portrait, make them your focus (Shift F, and make sure you have the focus window enabled in your interface options) and right click on the focus window. I seem to have trouble right clicking on my targets portrait, so this trick has helped me work around the issue.

I hope this helps. Please post any of your own suggestions or brag about how this simple guide has completely changed your life.
    Last edited by Sinsaint; 05-01-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Shadowlander

On a serious note, there have been many times I have entered a WF with no healers marked on either side. It's my personal opinion that the coordination markings bring to a team are more effective than having one extra DPS. What I'm saying is, marking healers and bringing the team together on the same level is more important than you actually doing your job.

That is why I made this guide. It might be a bit simple and obvious at points, but the fact that people don't capitalize on this means they either don't know how or they don't think it makes a difference, and coming from an experienced player that both does cleric healing and healer-pulling as a WL, I have found that marking can dramatically improve your chances of winning.

I like winning, and I assume other people do.
    Please give this guide a serious look for your own benefit.. Honestly, I'm getting tired of being one of five people that know how to mark healers.

Rift Master

It's cool, but take into account how many players actually read the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
    is why I like to mark my healers with SHIELDS. T
    please don't do this...

i mark tanks that people won't stop attacking with a shield because they're tanks, so people see the shield and go "oh, it has a shield, i probably shouldn't attack it".

healers should be marked with numbers, 1-2-3-4, and smart dps will focus them in that order, with priority generally starting with the defiler and then on down to other single target healers. this (hopefully) ensures specific people get focused first, rather than dps just attacking whatever mark is nearest, since you sort of have a kill order.
    Last edited by ecru; 05-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    healers should be marked with numbers, 1-2-3-4, and smart dps will focus them in that order, with priority generally starting with the defiler and then on down to other single target healers. this (hopefully) ensures specific people get focused first, rather than dps just attacking whatever mark is nearest, since you sort of have a kill order.
    This.

Also, in reference to the OP, you can also look at the scoreboard and see who is doing healing (although this does not work in Conquest, obviously). This can be useful for deciding on a priority kill order between two healers of the same spec-- IE if there are two enemy Sentinels and one of them is doing 3x as much healing as the other, he should probably be targeted first.

Shadowlander

Erm, in the quote...

"That is why I mark MY healers with shields"

The idea is to reserve the normal healing symbols for your enemies (so that even idiots can understand) but still be able to identify who are your own healers without trouble, and the tanking symbol is the only other symbol that has multiple sets (besides the generic numbers).

I did briefly mention marking people with numbers in conquests, or just use anything in the heat of the moment.
    Last edited by Sinsaint; 05-07-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Soulwalker

you forgot the easiest way to find out who is healing within a warfront. and: you dont need a gadget for it!

every warfront has a leaderboard. it has categories. one of them is: healing done...

just pick the enemy side - and sort the enemies by their healing output by clicking the icon above the column and - there you go: all the enemy healers sorted by their healing done...

cheers

Champion of Telara

I don't really care unless you can make my TAB button automatically find them, looking for marks and stuff is too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    This.

Also, in reference to the OP, you can also look at the scoreboard and see who is doing healing (although this does not work in Conquest, obviously). This can be useful for deciding on a priority kill order between two healers of the same spec-- IE if there are two enemy Sentinels and one of them is doing 3x as much healing as the other, he should probably be targeted first.
    Riftmeter > Scoreboard or use Both.

Look at those healing breakdowns to discern heal spec.

ST healers will tend to get lower raw numbers than AoE healers but are more important to eliminate.

Personally I love it when wardens and chloros facetank for when I'm playing Defiler or Purifier because they're afforded higher damage priority. (Okay maybe love and warden in the same sentence doesn't make any sense)

Also skull mark for kill target.
    Last edited by BelZoness; 05-16-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Zones@Sargeras
    RIP <Addiction>

I have a kalert for most heal specs. Some are easy too identify with their self buffs, others aren't because their self buffs are low point abilities (ie physician) so you may have some weird dps hybrid builds that you don't want to mark as a healer. I don't bother marking a mage with lgv since there are hybrid builds that will use them. I only mark mages with Living Aegis.

In this case you'll want to rely on a meter in conjunction with the leaderboard.
    Last edited by asianguywithacamera; 05-19-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    please don't do this...

i mark tanks that people won't stop attacking with a shield because they're tanks, so people see the shield and go "oh, it has a shield, i probably shouldn't attack it".

THIS and only this is the way to do it. Anything else is just wrong, especially the stupid symbols. The symbols are so fail for healers. If only everyone could understand this simple concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Caeus View Post
    I don't really care unless you can make my TAB button automatically find them, looking for marks and stuff is too hard.
    LoL as for people like this make 3 macros.
    "Target @Mark 1" "Target @Mark 2" "Target @Mark 3"

Name them Target 1,2,3 and when you see a 1.. hit the Target 1 macro. Just as brainless as hitting tab and you will actually target someone that someone else on your team is also targeting. That is the biggest problem with the symbols is to make use of the target macro system you actually have to count all the way down to see that for example the heart is the 22nd number then symbol in the list then Target @Mark 22 will target the heart. So when everyone is using different symbols every WF unless you have a target 1-40 and have each symbols corresponding number memorized you won't be nearly as fast targeting a healer as the 1-3 system.

What are you smoking to see these glowing healers? And we don't use projectiles? Have you ever seen a Chloromancer in action?

The easiest way (for me) is to use an addon called SuperMeter. This can be set to see the enemy DPS / HPS. Works well in CQ and Warfronts. If in a Warfront, just press "~" and click "heals given" or whatever it's called.

Plane Touched

If I feel the need to mark own team VIP targets, I use the heart and broken hearts if there are more than 1. (for example, designated fang carriers in the garden) There should never be a situation with more than 2 or 3 VIP's or you're doing it wrong

The role symbols should be reserved for enemy healers, tanks, etc. I use the heal and heal# symbols because the numbers system is ridiculously ambiguous. Is this 1 a healer, or does someone have a mark @target 1 in their macro to help coordinate premade groups who is avoiding fighting healers because their PM group is unavailable atm; and they didnt bother to edit the macro. I never even considered the possibility of numbers meaning healers, since there are dedicated symbols for that.

It's not hard to make a "target @mark heal2" macro. Yes, using the names of the symbols works

edit: Oh no, didnt realize it was a 5, not a 6 in the date (and that that would put the posts in the future). Sorry if this was a necro.
    Last edited by Quwo; 06-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
    There are three methods players can use to spot healers. Some are better than others. The third method requires an addon, which I will explain at that point in the post. This post will also cover marks and how to properly use them.

Finding Healers
    Method One: Using visuals.
    Healers glow. A lot. Heals don't have projectiles. So an easy way to spot a healer is simply just to find someone in the back that's constantly casting spells but not actually shooting any particles. This is not 100% effective, but it will take care of Purifiers (uses flamey stick on other bad guys, VERY annoying) and Sentinel (almost as annoying, harder to spot).

Method Two: Tab Spotting
    Healers target their buddies in order to heal them. So if you turn on "Show my target's target" in your interface>combat options, you can tab through bad guys and find someone that's targeting another bad guy. After all, you do not target your friends in a WF, right? Unless you're a pesky healer. Unfortunately, both Chloromancers and Wardens attack enemies to heal, so finding them can take a bit of time out of your murder spree.

Method Three: Perfect Tab Spotting (Requires addon Karuul Alert)
    Healers use buffs to make their heals even more annoying. You can spot these buffs as you tab through people. But who has time to sift through all of those stupid random healing and raid buffs just to find some useless Caregiver's Blessing? This is why I recommend Karuul Alert.

KAlert allows you to place icons on your UI when a specific criteria is met, and you can choose all sorts of things that this criteria can be. Like if the person you are targeting is a foe and has a specific buff active (like Caregiver's Blessing), I see a giant bloody skull that I like to imagine is a miraculous premonition of their face. Set up different Alerts for every buff only healers would use, like:

Caregiver's Blessing
    Healer's Blessing
    Bosun's Blessing
    Lifebound Veil
    Lifegiving Veil
    Grief Blight

Kalert can also be used to tell you when your target is casting an interruptible ability, like Spiritual Conflagration. This also makes it very useful for tanks in PvE.

Marking Healers
    You might think "Well, don't I just, like, mark them?", but you're stupid. That's why you're reading this.
    Not that you're wrong. You're right in marking them, but with WHAT?
    The obvious answer would be to use the healing symbols. This makes it REAL easy for the REALLY stupid people in your group to find healers and murder them dead. The real problem comes from two things:
    Time and unique marks.

The same mark cannot be on two different people. Sure, there are four different healing symbols, but what if you have more than four different healers? What if you want to mark your own healers so you can keep them from being dead? The answer? You give your healers different marks. It doesn't matter if stupid people don't understand why some people are marked and others don't, as stupid people won't come to rescue a healer in distress anyway.
    The only people who would ever help a healer are people who would understand that a healer would be marked as someone of importance in the first place. This is why I like to mark my healers with SHIELDS. This allows you to keep track of both team's healers, allow both teams to have uniform symbols (except when those ******s decide to put crowns on their own heads or something stupid like that), and it being a tanking symbol also CONFUSES THE F*** OUT OF THE ENEMY (just kidding, enemies cannot see the symbols your team places).

This is all true, except in Conquests. In Conquests, you might have 10 or so healers. In this scenario, just mark any healer you can spot with anything you want. A lot of people use the numbers.

If you have trouble marking a healer by right clicking on your target's portrait, make them your focus (Shift F, and make sure you have the focus window enabled in your interface options) and right click on the focus window. I seem to have trouble right clicking on my targets portrait, so this trick has helped me work around the issue.

I hope this helps. Please post any of your own suggestions or brag about how this simple guide has completely changed your life.
    don't know how you guys do things over in the US, been a decade since i played there in any game and never did in RIFT... but here in the EU what i noticed since beta, that you "rarely" found 2 people attacking the same target unless forced (a.k.a was closest last man standing).. it's pretty much /tab target nearest enemy and pew pew ftw.. 2+ years later i was to my delight to find it still being a constant of the death/taxes caliber still ....

i have no clue wtf your OP is about tbf... most of your "supposed" target audience won't read it to begin with, and the few that do won't abide by it anyways... not sure how premades/GGs work in this game, but wouldn't be surprised much if they found such a guide to be useful.

Last edited by 3amroos; 07-09-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    The Guardians - UO RIP 2000
    Lagged Again - Lancelot- DAOC RIP 2003
    ----------------------------
    Pioneers of Competitive PvP.

+ Reply to Thread