+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2.6 Mage PvP Pyromancer / Dominator complete hybrid (38/38/0) [Is this viable?]

Soulwalker

Default 2.6 Mage PvP Pyromancer / Dominator complete hybrid (38/38/0) [Is this viable?]

Hey guys.

I am new to the whole PvP scene as I just hit 60 a few weeks ago. I've been running war fronts with a pure 61 point pyro spec for a while which seems pretty good for now. Recently, I was looking into Meduza's guide on PvPing as a pure Dominator spec and was having fun with that as well.

I'm just wondering if a 38/38/0 pyro/dominator/anything point spread will be viable enough for PvP, or if I should just keep it to the pure specs.

The build I came up with was http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zcNazxcc...vgcV00kVgrzzMz

I wanted to get enough points in dominator for the best of the soul (i feel) that isn't based on all the AE skills they get later down in the roots.

My mindset here was that I would mainly be using

Pyro Skills
    fire ball
    flame bolt (with procs)
    cinder burst (with instant procs)
    inferno
    Countdown (occasionally)

Dom Skills
    Traitorous Influence
    Storm Shackle
    Transference

I didn't get Burning Bonds from the pyro tree thinking that the diminishing return would screw it up since I have Storm Shackle already. Similarly, I picked up Death's Edict (Dom) instead of Flashfire (pyro), especially since it proc's Dominant Personality and Swift Control, which I could see being really good for fire balls.

As for utility, I have

Pyro
    Flicker (escape cc effects)
    Burn (disarm)
    Backdraft (stun)

Dom
    Death's Edict (stun)
    Transmogrify (cc)
    Thunder Blast (knock back)
    Mass Exhaustion (cc)
    Storm Shackle (root)
    Malevolent Shield (absorbs healing)

As for CD's, I have

Heatwave [pyro]
    Split Personality [dom]

Basically, I want the game play of this spec to be mostly running around throwing instant casts at people while occasionally casting fireball (while spamming transmogrify for faster casts).

I feel this spec has enough damage and utility to be viable in war fronts.

What do you guys think? Are hybrids viable, or should I just stick to the pure builds?

Soulwalker

I instantly feel full pyro would dominate this as you get instant fire balls most of the time, double fireballs, fulminate, and fusillade, which already seems much more bursty than the SS, TI, and Transference. Hmm..

Maybe I just feel the need for a new spec because all my gear is essentially unenchanted freelancers at the time being and I don't have my war attunement all the way filled.

Either way, thoughts (still?) haha

Soulwalker

Default PvP suggestions

As a pyro in PvP, you really need fiery concentration. Any opposing player worth his salt with Will target glass cannons after healers, and the lack of pushback has saved me more times than I can count. Your call on what to take out for it, but you really need FC.

Soulwalker

Default More thoughts

While you are correct that you would deal much less damage, you'll still be killing people left and right, plus you'll be less squishy due to CC. PLUS you'll make up for some damage lost by gimping heals. I really like this idea, truth be told. I made my own version, putting 40/40.

Can't put it up now cause I'm unable to but will post it later; it picks up the Pyro stun as well as a couple more key Dom CC moves. More control focused without losing much damage. That said, it's all theory - so take it with a grain of salt.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I guess I am still just researching specs with the small chance I will find one that dominates over others. I think I should stick through with anything until I at least get some warlords and enchants before I could pass any judgment.

Any links to guides you have used or seen would be greatly appreciated!

Soulwalker

Default Update

So, my talent builder was an idiot and gave my 80 points to work with!

That's fine though, I liked this idea so much I ended up making my own build for solo/world PvP.

I went 36 Pyro/32 Dom/8 Chloro.

This gives me instant bloom, LGV and Withering Vine for heals, A bunch of Pyro Damage and CC, and the best of Dom CC.

Instacast Squirrel allows for perma-heatwave effect for fireball and cinderburst. This can stack with Heatwave for insta fireballs.

Also the 25% buff from Dom speccing and from Chloro makes crits deal insane damage.

I killed 8 players in world testing yesterday. only one lasted more than 5 seconds. only one hit me at all.

Soulwalker

Default build link

Here's what I put together. I like it, it works for me.

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#i...U/dAaiGk28/Fgk

Something you should know about chloro before you start throwing up LGV all the time is that when you have a veil up, you cannot be healed at all by other chloros' veils. Up to you to determine if it's worth it or not depending on the scenario (if all your heals are clerics, theres no loss in throwing up LGV, for example).
    Last edited by WyldStallyns; 04-16-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Soulwalker

You are correct. I used this build for world PvP where I am usually solo.

+ Reply to Thread