+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to warrior tank in CQ and not expose your healers

Default How to warrior tank in CQ and not expose your healers

First off, don't bother with this if you have a poor frame rate in CQ. This specific build is about mobility and crowd control, and not so much about raw mitigation and HP.

The Build

The highlight of any VK build is Refreshing Opportunity coupled with Void Summon and Shock Burst. There's nothing particularly ground breaking about pulling in 5 players and silencing them, and it's still the primary function here.

The difference lies in the escapes - with Elude, you get a break free / eject button, and further you also have Defensive Maneuver. Macro these. Tap once for "I got pulled", tap twice for "I got pulled, rooted, and there's 6 rows of debuffs on me." Use Spell Breaker immediately - removing 1 DoT from yourself isn't the point, it's the 15% mitigation it activates while your healers clean up the mess. Healers instinctively come forward to try to rescue a tank with a big cooldown, and frequently end up dead themselves for their trouble. This build alleviates that problem.

If you're loaded with TI, MB, Cloud Maker, etc, have the sense not to run back to the middle of your raid - wait to be cleansed. Tanks are often targeted as delivery mechanisms by more savvy players to return their payloads to the ranks, don't be that guy.

This spec also has two punts, a 50% 15s sprint, and a charge. Use them to make people miserable. Pull them in, run *through* your current location and about face, punt them further yet, charge, and punt them again. You'll have one angry person thoroughly disconnected from his raid and very likely dead.

The standard utility of a purge, Fusion of Flesh, Sgt's Order, Rift Summon, and Rift Reversal are still here, as well as the silences via Staggering Rage and Shock. It also packs enough punch to kill most typical DPS specs found in CQ at a random solo encounter.

With some practice, you'll be an extreme nuisance for the opposition and reduced liability for your team. Happy hunting.
    Last edited by Fujitasix; 02-23-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Soulwalker

This is, bar none, the most informative, thorough, and understandable guide I have read in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by theeph View Post
    This is, bar none, the most informative, thorough, and understandable guide I have read in a long time.
    Thank you. I continue to have great success with it in CQ, and it's equally effective and annoying for codex / scion where you have a congregation of enemies. The pull/punt and escape utility can certainly frustrate your opponents. Tanking is viable in many venues when you're setting up kill targets, and I find it to be very rewarding.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Dangit, don't listen to this person! Look, look, here's a kitten! Look at the kitten!

I LOVE loading tanks up with Cab's Tyranny of Death and blowing the healers up when yon tank drops to 75% health and runs for the back rows.

LOOK AT THE KITTEN. THE KITTEN COMPELS YOU.

Last edited by Chadak; 03-20-2014 at 03:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread