Thread: Comprehensive guide to gearing for PvP

Default Comprehensive guide to gearing for PvP

Summary
    • Fill out War Planar Attunement
    • Buy the base PvP set pieces
    • Add runes! Add Dream orbs!
    • Rank up, upgrade them, and re-rune

Before Level Cap

Don't spend any favor on below-cap gear. You're bolstered automatically.
    Pro Tip: If you PvP enough while leveling, you will gain enough favor to buy most if not all of the base-level set before hitting level cap (and you should, because you may hit the favor cap if you don't). You will also gain enough prestige to hit rank 60, which is the max you can get to before level cap (subject to change with new PvP seasons).
    Planar Attunement

The War tree is your top priority; fill it all out except for some of the green and purple nodes in T3.
    After that, fill out as you would PvE, though you may want to put more emphasis on Endurance. Prioritize Spell/Attack Power for your wand/ranged weapon, then for the weapons in your hands. Then your main stat, then endurance. You can also build towards the skills at the T2/T3 levels, for example T2 and T3 Fire have +SP/+AP enchants, while T2 Death has Vampiric Essence which can help you survive a little longer.

Equipment

The current set levels are Freelancer, Warlord, Myrmidon, and Myrmidon relic. The names and rank requirements will change with new PvP seasons, but the general idea will probably remain the same.

Freelancer gear can be bought from the Rift Store PvP section, or the Freelancer Quartermaster in the Tempest Bay PvP room (down the stairs to the right of the porticulum) for favor or credits. Once you hit Prestige rank 70 (80 for weapons), you can upgrade to the Warlord set using Warlord's <Upgrade> Cells, bought in the Store or from the Warlord Quartermaster for Warlord's Marks and favor. (You can also buy straight Warlord's gear for credits, but this is rather expensive). Warlord gear is further upgraded at rank 80 (90 for weapons) to Myrmidon via Myrmidon's <Upgrade> Cells, bought from the store or the Myrmidon Quartermaster for favor and Myrmidon's Marks. And finally, Myrmidon gear can be upgraded to Myrmidon relic gear via Radiant Infinity Cells and Warlord's Cells. You can earn RICs by winning Conquest AND looting the chest afterwards, or via PvE raids (not covered here).

In warfronts and Conquest, all filled gear slots except Seal, Trinket, and Synergy Crystal are bolstered to the Freelancer level (essences are bolstered to slightly above Mercenary, but slightly below Freelancer). Your PvE gear (even it it's best in slot! except seal & trinket) will be replaced with the base PvP gear if you wear it in a warfront!

Why should you buy PvP gear, then? So you can rune and orb them, and so you can upgrade them later.
    Beginner's Tip: FILL ALL YOUR GEAR SLOTS! Even if they are level 55 greens -- if a slot is empty, it will not get bolstered!
    Beginner's Tip: Buy a 6-slot Planar Focus and put lesser essences in all slots! The greater essences pre-level-60 aren't very good. You can buy a Conquest Master's Sigil or Source Engine, which comes with +50 Vengeance, from Leesi Nalan in the back of the Sanctum PvP area, or Jiana Relos near the Meridian PvP area, respectively (or from your vendor inside Conquest).
    Pro Tip: Don't bother buying a Freelancer piece until you can also rune it. There's no point otherwise. NOTE: when upgrading, runes and orbs disappear. Unslot them before upgrading (with a Store item for credits), or be prepared to buy new ones.
    Pro Tip: Prioritize getting the seal. The Valor it comes with helps more than it looks like. Then the trinket. Then prioritize getting 4 set pieces and a Synergy Crystal (from the Synergy Crystals vendor in the TB PvE vendor room, for Infinity Stones), because they help a lot (and more so at Warlord and Myrmidon level).
    Slots
    Beginner's Tip: You may want to put Endurance runes on your gear where available, to make you look like less of an easy target and to help you survive a little longer.
    Runes by slot is the best reference I have found for which runes are available and what they do, although it is not 100% complete. Below, unless the vendor is noted, runes are available from the AH or a guildmate for plat.

Dream Orbs are available to place on head, shoulders, cape, and neck pieces. They give random but calling-appropriate stats and are made by dreamweavers, so check your AH or guildmates. They stack with runes.
    Pro Tip: Don't bother with +Valor runes, because with bolstering, War T2 PA filled out, and the seal, you have maxed valor already.
    Seal: The Mercenary's Seal can be bought from the Conquest Quartermaster in the TB PvP vendor room for favor, with no prestige rank requirement. It can be upgraded to a Freelancer's Seal (still no rank requirement) via a Freelancer Conquest Small Cell for more favor. It can be further upgraded to the Warlord's Seal (rank 70 requirement) via a Warlord's Conquest Small cell, bought for Warlord's Marks of Conquest and favor. Runes: Leify's Reprisal, same vendor, +40 Vengeance. Alternatively, the Hailol (PvE rep) +45 SP/AP runes, or the Hailol End rune.

Trinket: If you are Revered with the Ridgerunner Mercenaries (Karthan Ridge faction), then you can save 10k favor by buying the Ridgerunner's <Foo> Orb/Bauble from the store or the Ridgerunner Mercenaries Quartermaster. If not, then buy the Conquest Master's <Foo> from the Rift store for favor (change the level range to 50-60).
    Pro Tip: Do not buy Last Survivor, Eye of the Tiger, King of Iron Fist, or Challenge of Rivals; they are a waste of 35k favor.
    Neither have a prestige rank requirement, and both of them upgrade into a Freelancer's <Foo> Orb/Bauble via a Freelancer's Conquest Cell, and you can choose whether you want a damage or healing proc on the upgrade. Runes: Only the Empyreal Alliance sells Trinket runes; they give your main stat and endurance. Enjoy some PvE grinding to get the rep for them.

Helm: Runes: Wisdom, Strength, Wis/Str plus Crit chance, or Main Stat plus Endurance (the last requires Qaijiri rep). A dream orb can be placed in this slot.
    Cape: Does not count towards the set bonus, so prioritize lower. The regular progression follows every other slot, but there are also conquest capes available for Warlord's MoCQ and favor, that have no rank requirement. Check the upgrade requirements because upgrading the CQ capes is really expensive, and decide which path you want to follow. Runes: Mercenary's <Foo> Stitching, +16 End / +24 Veng, bought for favor from the Store or Ridgerunner's Quartermaster. A dream orb can be placed in this slot.
    Shoulders: Nothing special here. Runes: Intelligence or Dexterity, or Int/Dex plus Crit chance. A dream orb can be placed in this slot.
    Chest: Endurance runes are available here, if you want them. Runes: End, Int, or Dex; or Int/Dex plus Spell/Attack Power.
    Gloves: Runes: Endurance; or Conquest runes found for favor from Nalan or Relos or inside CQ: +13 main stat and +14 Vengeance.
    Belt: Runes: Necropolis Caretakers runes (PvE rep) for plat: +35 main stat, +19 End; or Conquest runes found from Nalan or Relos or inside CQ for favor: +12 main stat and +15 Vengeance.
    Legs: Runes: Wis, Str, or Wis/Str plus SP/AP, or Main Stat plus Endurance (the last requires Eternal City Survivors rep).
    Feet: Mercenary's <Foo> Soles (Ridgerunner's Quartermaster, favor): +31 End and +13 Veng; or End; or End + SP/AP; or Crit Power.

Two-hand weapon: Runes: AP/SP
    One-hand weapon: Runes: AP/SP, or End
    Wand/Ranged: Runes: AP/SP

Neck: Only the Eternal City Survivors (PvE) provide neck runes. This rep is easy if you just quest in City Core and Eastern Holdings. Runes: +Main stat and +End (Store or Survivor's Quartermaster, plat). A dream orb can be placed in this slot.
    Rings: <Set>'s <Foo> <Bar>, from the Store or PvP quartermasters. In general, you want the SP/AP rings and not the Spell/Phys Crit rings. Runes: Brass Knuckles, +20 Veng, from the store or CQ QM, for favor and CQ marks. (The Achyati sell +Main stat +End runes, but this requires rep and doesn't give as much SP/AP).

Synergy Crystal: Not PvP specific and can't be runed, but you want a crystal for (almost) every spec you play, and you want to always have 4 pieces so the bonuses are activated. Costs Infinity Stones and can get expensive.

Planar Focus: Fill all slots with lesser essences. The PvE best in slot greaters may be worth it, however. You can buy a Conquest Master's Sigil or Source Engine with +50 Vengeance in your home city, or your in-CQ-vendor, for favor. The best focus is Mortiferous', bought from the CQ quartermaster in TB for favor and Warlord's MoCQ. It has +50 Endurance, +20 Resist All, and +75 Vengeance. Runes: +50 element resists available from the Lycini (PvE rep), or +20 from the planar vendors in the planar vendor room in Meridian and Sanctum (also PvE rep, but easily naturally acquired).
    Pro Tip: Acquiring Warlord essences should be your last priority. They're expensive and it's only really worth it if you do open-world PvP. Don't bother with Mercenary or Freelancer essences as they are slightly below the bolstered level and are not required for upgrades -- if they are even still available.
    Gaining Currency

Patron/potions recommended.
    • 4 PvP-in-PvE dailies at the door of the TB PvP room. Depending on your server, it may take days or weeks to complete the "kill 25 opposing faction players" one, though. These give a small amount of Conquest marks too.
    • PvP weekly Guns for Hire, from the same NPC: Win a few matches in a few maps (they rotate). Gives <Set> Marks.
    • Conquest daily: Capture 12 extractors.
    • CQ weeklies: Win a match; get 2000 kills. Gives <Set> Marks and CQ marks.
    • Warfront daily bonuses (1 per day, max 7 saved up). Gives <Set> Marks.
    • And of course, just playing warfronts and conquest, though you'll "only" get favor and prestige (and CQ marks in CQ).

Currency Caps

Keep an eye on your current currency levels, or you may end up wasting time and effort. Buy items and store them to avoid capping yourself. For example, if you are near to capping <Set> Marks, but don't have all your <Set - 1> pieces yet, you may have to buy a <Set> Upgrade Cell in order to avoid wasting future marks rewards. It means a delay in getting your next set, but you will make up the time when you rank up and can upgrade to the set after that.
    • <Set> Marks cap at 10000.
    • <Set> Marks of Conquest cap at 10000.
    • Favor caps at 300,000.
    • Infinity Stones have no cap.

~Fin~

10 March 2014: Edit privileges granted & post updated for 2.6
    12 March 2014: Updated for 2.6 Hotfix 8
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 03-16-2014 at 08:57 AM.

What about the +96 Crit Rune for you're gloves? Wouldnt that be BiS for Rogue PvP rather then the 14 Vengeance / 13 Dex?

In my opinion it would be +96 Crit as BiS for gloves. But I am just wondering youre take on it.

I'm no expert, but most of the advice I've read states that crit chance is the last attribute you want to build for. YMMV; consult a BiS list and a stat weight list for the last word.

Soulwalker

Wonderfull post. Thanks a lot for the information!

Thank you so much for the info! That's exactly what I needed! I wish I had read it before I bought the lvl 20 PVP gear. LOL But hey, I'm sure I will gain enough favor to get Freelancer gear, by the time my PVP character hits 60 (she's 32 now).

I'm about to hit the Freelancer's Marks of Conquest currency cap but I lack the favor to buy either of the Conquest Cells! How do I avoid hitting the cap now?

Changes in PvP Gearing in 2.6 Hotfix 2
    • Valor tooltip is fixed and now shows player damage reduction
    • Leg and Helm runes added: +<Main Stat> and +Endurance. Best used by Mages and Rogues. Helm runes require Qaijiri rep and leg runes require Eternal City Survivors rep.
    • Relic (orange) upgrades available for the top gear set (currently Myrmidon). Requires Radiant Infinity Cells which can be acquired in two ways: Winning Conquest and looting the chest near the boss spawn, or PvE raids.
    • Dream orbs added. Can be placed on Head, Cape, Shoulders, and Neck slots.
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 03-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Changes in PvP Gearing in 2.6 Hotfix 8
    • Freelancer's Marks of Conquest have been converted to Warlord's Marks of CQ. Anything that used to cost FMoCQ now costs just favor.
    • CQ Mark cap increased to 10,000
    • Warlord's CQ cells are finally available in game
    • A new focus - Mortiferous' - is available with 50 End, 20 Resist All, and 75 Veng
    • Warlord's Essences have been added. They cost WMoCQ and IS.
    • CQ capes have been added. They have the same stats as the Myrmidon capes, except have crit power instead of spell/attack power, and can be bought with WMoCQ and favor
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 03-12-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Pro Tip: Acquiring Warlord essences should be your last priority. They're expensive and it's only really worth it if you do open-world PvP. Don't bother with Mercenary or Freelancer essences as they are slightly below the bolstered level and are not required for upgrades -- if they are even still available.
    I thought essences that were bolstered had more stats than Mercenary essence but less stats than Freelancer essence, did they change that with the last update?

Not sure, but I do say that elsewhere in the post. Want to test and let me know? :-)

anyone want to take over this guide, as I am on hiatus? I can send you the source bbcode

Soulwalker

Thanks for the info! I REALLY wish I had read this guide before spending all my favor on useless Freelancer gear that isn't runed yet At least now I have some direction on what I should be doing. Thanks again!

Soulwalker

There are a couple of things that I am doing to maximise the amount of marks I get on a weekly basis(usually around 9k). To do this you will need a 160% Token vial

- Save the marks you get from winning/losing CQ, do not loot.
    - Complete Weekly PVP quests but do not turn them in.
    - Complete Dendrome/Infinity steppes dailies turn them in once a day until you have completed the Weekly PVP quests.
    - If you need Warlord marks complete the WF dailies but do not loot.(Myrm gear doesn't benefit from the 160% token vial)

If done right you should have the following ready to loot:
    + 1k marks from CQ
    + 3 Dendrome/Infinity Steppes Daily Quests completed
    + 7 WF Daily rewards completed
    + 1 CQ Daily quest completed
    + 3 PVP Weekly quests completed

Then at 3:50am Server time, pop the 160% Token Vial, turn in all the quests and loot all the marks within 10 minutes. At 4am Server time the dailies reset and can be done again since the 160% token vial lasts for 2 hours.

This will net you close to 9k marks of conquest as well as a huge boost in the Warlord marks you received.

This can be maximised if you have any crafting professions that have daily/weekly quests as well

Soulwalker

Then at 3:50am Server time, pop the 160% Token Vial, turn in all the quests and loot all the marks within 10 minutes. At 4am Server time the dailies reset and can be done again since the 160% token vial lasts for 2 hours.
    Alternatively, if you can't play so early in the morning you can simply logoff to preserve the timer on your Token Tablet. Wait to turn everything in until right before you have to logoff, then pop your Tablet, turn everything in and logoff. Then the next day when you can logon again, you'll have pretty much the entire time on your tablet left to use.

I actually have a pretty smooth method I use for big Tablets and Vials like the 160% ones. It requires a little downtime so it's not for everyone.

Day 1 (Wednesday):
    Go through and complete all of your daily and weekly quests in addition to any other regular quests with rewards. Stack as many as you can, 30 for non-Patrons and 40 for Patrons. Before you're ready to logoff for the day, pop your tablet and vials, turn everything in as fast as possible and logoff. Should be able to turn-in everything in 7-8 mins.

Day 2 (Thursday):
    Go through and complete as many dailies as you can, turn in and logoff. At the end of this you should have ~45-60 minutes left on your tablets/vials.

Day 3(Friday):
    Again complete as many dailies as you can and turn in before your tablets/vials are done.

This method requires only about an hour playtime on day 2 but will maximize the gain on your very pricey boosts.
    Last edited by Ludikrus; 06-06-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Closed Thread