+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Guide to PvP in Rift

Default General Guide to PvP in Rift

I found this guide on my computer this weekend. It was written as a guide for PvP newbies and was put up on my original guilds website and although most of it is outdated (I wrote it back when there were only 6 ranks...lol) a good chunk of it is still applicable today.

So let's see what everyone thinks.

General Guide to PvP in Rift

By: Setanta

The Golden PvP Rule: - "If it isn’t blue don't hit it!" -

Kind of a blanket term but the rule stands, prioritize your targets, if your target doesn't have a blue bar (i.e. manna) find one that does. Only attack rogues and warriors after the casters are dead.

Attack Order:
    Clerics/Mages (blue bars)
    Rogues (magenta bars)
    Warriors (yellow bars)

CC and Burst Damage Rule the Roost: Prioritize your rotations around these.

CC is the most powerful way to tip the odds in your favor. Silence a caster (Cleric or Mage) and they’re useless, disarm a warrior and they’ve got nothing left, Drop an AoE stun or fear on a group of people attacking one person (i.e. fang/shard carrier) and you give the healers the chance they need to catch up and, if you time it right, the carrier the time they need to split out of there.

Unlike PvE where extended sustainable DPS is necessary to get the job done, PvPers are usually being healed constantly with healers often only using their “oh ****” buttons when a player is very low (i.e. < 40% health). So if (sabs are great for this) you can take a player from ~60% health to nothing in a very quick succession of blows (or one detonate) you are more likely to finish them before the healers have a chance to react.

Get the Gear:

Perhaps the biggest pain in the *** (and simultaneously one of the greatest innovations) about PvP in this game is the virtual uselessness of PvE gear in PvP fights.

I broke into the PvP a bit late and it drove me nuts that my T1/T2 armor was essentially aluminum foil with a bit of cotton backing against most players. Yet after a bit of time put in (not a great deal of time but certainly not a small amount either) I was able to get together a solid R3 set and the difference in survivability was staggering. R3 armor is (currently) for warriors a reduction of slightly under 20% incoming damage from players (Physical and Spell).

Once you have the gear it’s fairly useless in dungeons but feel free to use it in “open world”. The higher ranking stuff has great stats on it and without the hit/focus/toughness restrictions on the open world mobs it holds up great and offers the additional bonus of giving you a leg up should some Guardian ****** get a little over zealous.

Utilize your strengths, KNOW your weaknesses:

No matter what style of play you decide to go with, know how to play it. i.e. If you’re a traditionalist rocking a sword and board (Pally style) warrior don’t go in on their carrier expecting to be the “devastating DPS, who saves the day, solo-style face rolls their whole group, seizes the fang, and runs back to your fellows with three or four of their women chanting your name and singing of your uber leetness”. Instead get a hold of the fang and stand there like an irritating *** old oak tree that does nothing but can’t be uprooted. Likewise if you’re built for DPS don’t stand around holding the fang/carrying the shard when there are others better suited for the job instead go out find a “blue bar” and beat it to death.

There are way too many variations of this to list individually but the general statement should be adequate enough to convey the point. Study your build, tweak your rotations, test, test, test, and when you’ve got it down to an art post it up on the website and help others.

Macros Make the Man:

I know a good number out there are, to put it lightly, apprehensive when it comes to macros but the .5 seconds you spend hunting for the right key to press is another hit your enemy just laid upside your head (hope it wasn’t fatal). Not all skills can be strung together and indeed most “oh ****” buttons often need their own place in the spotlight but any time you find yourself using the same succession of skills look into macroing them together and saving yourself the time it takes to jump from key to key with the occasional glimpse to check your hands position.

If you’re new to macros feel free to browse my (Setanta) builds in the “Warrior Builds” section of our forums I usually list complete macros and their functions. You can also ask me directly in game, not that I’m an expert but I will be more than happy to help anyone out.

Isolate the Weak:

Often you may see large groups heading past you without noticing you (i.e. stealthed rogues) or with an intention too important to bother with you. As in nature when a pack picks of the slowest, take the opportunity to grab a guy at the back of the pack with a quick stun/root. It’s likely that that group will not even notice/care.

Also if a particularly persistent pursuer (lol, alliteration ftw) is willing to follow you (as will often happen) no matter how far you go, drag him away from his allies/healers and into a pack of your own then laugh as he desperately drowns in a rain of weapons and spells.

Follow the Pack/Work Together:

Trickling in to a group of even a few of the enemy one or two at a time is just doing half their job for them (see Isolate the Weak). Move and work as a cohesive unit and you will be indestructible.

Use Common Sense:

All of these rules will have exceptions that would be too numerous to list here, and each War Front has its own unique needs (individual guides to each may follow). So use what wits you have available and if something isn’t working change it.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein
    ~~ Euthan ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Euthan View Post
    The Golden PvP Rule: - "If it isn’t blue don't hit it!" -

Kind of a blanket term but the rule stands, prioritize your targets, if your target doesn't have a blue bar (i.e. manna) find one that does. Only attack rogues and warriors after the casters are dead.

Attack Order:
    Clerics/Mages (blue bars)
    Rogues (magenta bars)
    Warriors (yellow bars)
    I disagree, in matches with rampant healing I usual target MM>blue bars, they die faster than healer can react. Also often overextending warriors are easy kills, due to no escape tool.

+ Reply to Thread