+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Rift PVP Guide

Default The Rift PVP Guide

To start off I'd like to say That this guide will be updated as much as possible and any additional positive feedback is welcomed.

General
    First off, in Rift you get the option to be a leader in a wf. As the leader your job is to mark the enemy targets. if you don't feel you can do this. Ask the group if someone else can. Never pass assist to the entire group. You never give an entire raid assist cause it only takes one person to remove all the marks placed and completely waste the time those marking them. Although it's rare at times. (also, be careful about passing assist or lead to mercs.)

Secondly, the point in marking is marking the highest threats in order. Often times people assume healers are the highest threat. this is always incorrect. The point in marking is to gather the groups dps to focus fire down the targets. No healer can heal through a target that has 5+ people on it. this makes their healers mostly useless. This means the job of marking and the person(s) doing it have to take the time to analyze the game and the opposing team. They must decide who is and who isn't a high threat.
    That person may very well be the person who decides between a win or loss. Along with cooperation of the dps and focusing marked targets.

For me as a hands on person I find it harder to give a lot of general details on random battles. I'm a hands on strategist a battle has to at least start for me to give a lot of detail on what will happen next.

Per WF Detail
    Whitefall steppes, The capture map.
    The basics of this map are simple.
    Stay as a group at the beginning and head straight to their base to pick up their stone.
    have one person Remain there Preferable one with a stealth.
    The rest move together to the opposing teams carrier All As one. Attempt to CC not kill but CC the dps on your carrier then move to attempting your own kill on their carrier.
    In hopes that you are both in or near the middle of the map this gives you a few options.
    on a worst case successful attempt both teams will have dropped the stones. Their teams dps will mostly be cc'd and your team whomever is left is given the chance to pick up the stone in the mid.
    on a best case failed attempt. The other teams dps break free of all the cc often from someone using an AE your set back dps will save the day picking up the shard from their base and making a quick get away from the side.
    this also means you must move quickly on re spawning and going directly to that carrier. Once you've learned your team can not handle a direct approach to their team it needs to be understood you Must avoid taking on their entire team. If they approach your carrier make sure at least 2 rogues are in their base ready for a kill. But, DO NOT attempt to kill their carrier until your certain several of their dps are on your own carrier. Often times it's best to wait it out applying very little pressure here and there during the battle when both teams have shards.
    You must always keep in mind. To never stop in middle for any reason After the initial attempt.
    You Want dps to reach your area and You Want them to be kept there as long as possible. this means a lot of cc on them or whatever it takes. You want to control and split their dps so your offensive can make for a final move on their carrier and take them out. Often times if you notice cc is being broken someone is either a merc messing around or using aoe. This means try to spread their team out and separate the cc.

I'm going to end this with that for now. I actually typed that strat out as it's the one I just got done using. I'll add more details and strats here and there for different maps and several for the same map.
    But, your number 1 priority in any pvp environment is control. not killing control. CC is your best friend. The more of your enemy you control the better odds you have of killing the rest not cc'd. This also begs the question who do you CC. you CC healers first. and dps that Aren't marked. with those out of the way you begin to focus down marked targets in order. Hoping the person marking is doing it properly.
    Last edited by Zjosh86; 05-31-2012 at 10:06 AM.

I was going to add this but the edit timer was gone.

I consider Crowd Control (cc) to be more than just stunning and polymorphing. It includes many many things. from purging buffs to interrupting all forms of CC and should be used as much as possible.
    Later I'll add a lot of detail on things like what to interrupt and purge. But, I don't have a lot of knowledge for spells in this game so before I get into that I'll be learning a lot more.

Why I consider those things to be a form of cc is simple. You interrupt someone's cast your controlling what they are allowed to cast. You purge their buffs your controlling what buffs their allowed to have. etc
    Last edited by Zjosh86; 05-31-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Default could you tell me what the symbols are that hover over some player>

I see some players with symbols over their heads in PVP. I recognize some of the symbols, such as the green cross for healing. But I had a red circle with a line through it over one player, I also saw what looked like a rubber duck over another player, could you explain, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fearthalin View Post
    I see some players with symbols over their heads in PVP. I recognize some of the symbols, such as the green cross for healing. But I had a red circle with a line through it over one player, I also saw what looked like a rubber duck over another player, could you explain, Thanks
    Rubber ducky? He's the one!

However... I think that it's possible that the symbol is supposed to be that of a squirrel.
    Last edited by bitnine; 04-08-2013 at 06:36 AM.

::delete::
    Last edited by Ts117; 06-16-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: late
    Perma Band in 9 continents and one Solar System!

+ Reply to Thread