+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Warfront Gearing Guide - 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 brackets

Ascendant

Default Warfront Gearing Guide - 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 brackets

Hey guys. I promised in a thread or two previously that I was going to post a video outlining where to go to get geared for warfronts in the pre-50 brackets.

And here it is!

The video is intentionally as concise as possible while still hopefully demonstrating just how easy it is to get geared for these brackets. It doesn't go into specific detail by calling. It doesn't tell you what runes to use or where to get every single "best in slot" piece of gear. What it does do is show you where to find the "backbone" for any set of gear that will put you on reasonably competitive footing in any warfront bracket. Whether you intend to lock your xp or not, all of this are very strong upgrades for their appropriate level and will serve you well in the PvE end of the game as well as in warfronts. If you're taking part in zone events as you level, you'll get the currency you need.

The guide also does not discuss the 10-19 bracket. My personal opinion is that particular bracket is a bit broken right now, with more established players leveraging certain advantages and gaming the system to place themselves in a fully dominant position. That's not what I'm trying to support here.

Just a few details that I left out of the video because it was already getting kind of long:

For Defiant, the Rare Planar Goods vendors that you won't see in the video (because I made the footage with a Guardian character :P) are as follows:

Level 20 - Granite Falls in Stonefield
    Level 25 - Scarwood Lift Base in Scarlet Gorge
    Level 30 - Perspice in Scarwood Reach
    Level 45 (third vendor) - Broken Vale in Stillmoor

If you're having trouble locating the specific vendors, you can always ask in guild or in local chat or poke around a bit. Most of them are pretty easy to find.

For both factions, if you're running a lot of warfronts it's a good idea to check out the warfront faction vendors in your home city. They often have reasonable pieces through various level ranges that you can use to fill in gear slots not covered by the planar sets or other crafted options provided you have the necessary level of notoriety and are willing to invest the favor.

It's also not a bad idea to check out the recipe vendors in your faction city (in addition to the zone faction quartermasters) to see what options might be available to you there even if you can't make the gear yourself. Knowing exactly what to ask for in guild or in global chat channels is the first step to getting a non-troll response from people who might be able to help you out. As far as augments go, currently rare (blue 300 skill) augments are relatively inexpensive on most shards (you can usually pick them up at auction for 50g or so) and the epic augments aren't so much better than you're going to be at a significant disadvantage if you don't use them.

As far as Sigils go, upgrading your sigil is important but you don't necessarily need the 4/2 sigil right away. If you already have a level 50 character you can mail your alt 15 Inscribed Sourcestone Vouchers and run over to Whitefall in IPP to trade them in for Planarite Vaults to get the 7500 planarite you need for the 4/2 sigil, but that's an expensive way to go about it. I've made the runs to Stillmoor, Shimmersands, and IPP on alts below level 10 to unlock the portals so I could turn in master crafting dailies numerous times. It's definitely possible, but again it's not entirely necessary. Just do the best you can with what you've got.

Dungeons are also obviously a good place to get gear upgrades. I know that in the 30-39 bracket with my warrior, I ran Runic Descent a few times to get the 1h axes from the last boss. There are epic world drops that you can get for different callings and different brackets, but when you start looking at the differences between epic gear from world drops and blue gear from dungeons/crafting, it's not going to make or break you.

I don't really want to debate in this thread whether or not twinking is okay, or why people twink, or any of that. At the end of the day, progressing your gear is a fundamental part of progressing your character in Rift. When it comes to warfronts, other people will be using good gear and if you want to be competitive you'll want to consider doing so yourself. Hopefully the video will show you just how straightforward of a process that is.

One final note: when discussing the level 20-29 gear bracket in the video, I commented that 4 zone events was the maximum necessary to get all of the planar currency you need. To clarify, that's for the epic planar currency. Whether or not you have enough planarite depends on what you did during those zone events as well as how many rifts/invasions you are fighting between zone events. If you've got all the epic currency you need and are short the necessary planarite to buy your gear, you can trade in any extra epic currency you have for planarite containers to help boost you a bit in that regard.
    Last edited by Licentia; 03-05-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Ascendant

good video!

btw. i hate your toon's mullet

jca
    Rift Chaser

Very nice !

Telaran

On the most part i agree with your guide. However u can craft gear with lvl 300 augments that will benefit your character more then some of the rare planar goods merchants.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by kaspurtz View Post
    good video!

btw. i hate your toon's mullet
    When I first read that I was like, "What the...chicks don't have mulle..." and then I was like, "Oh, it's kaspurtz..."

Level your mage into the 40s bracket! We need all the help we can get.

On the most part i agree with your guide. However u can craft gear with lvl 300 augments that will benefit your character more then some of the rare planar goods merchants.
    You could, yes. It's a question of how much it would benefit your character relative to what you would spend. If you're twinking, every upgrade is a worthwhile upgrade. If you're just trying to be competitive while you level, it may or may not be worth it. For some people I'm sure even the planar goods would seem like too much of an investment, and certainly for new players my general advice is to spend as little plat as possible while leveling and save it towards things like role slots and your 110% mount so that you can pick it up as soon as you hit 50.

What prompted this guide is that I have been playing Rift since beta and when the xp lock was first announced I knew I would use it to farm favor before entering the 50s bracket. All I remembered about the planar gear was that at launch, you could do every zone event you came across and the epic currency was often a very rare sight. After I made the decision to lock xp and also knowing that there would be other geared characters in warfronts I decided to take a closer look and was surprised at how easy it is to get now. Another consideration when focusing on the planar gear is that it's consistent across all callings. For crafted gear, dungeon drops, and even gear options from warfront notoriety vendors it tends to vary from calling to calling in terms of which spots on your character sheet you can upgrade in a particular bracket.

One of the other things I noticed when comparing the planar gear to potential upgrades is that the stat budget on the planar gear is higher than a comparable rarity piece for the same level from other sources. So just a random example, if you look at some of the level 20 blue planar gear and compare it to a level 20 blue from anywhere else, the planar gear is going to be noticeably better.

Helmet, Legs and belt should always be crafted with a 300 purple augment.

The reason is that the Mathos, Icewatch and Dragonslayer reputation runes require only a level 1 item. However they do require a level 50 character.

Therefore your main (or person you are paying to do this) must take the crafted piece, apply repuation rune and send it back to your xp capped character.

So the process is:
    1. create item with 300 augment
    2. send item to rune applyer (level 50 with maxed icewatch/mathos/dragonslayer rep)
    3. apply rune and sent to xp capped character
    4. break low level warfronts
    Last edited by Valnak; 03-05-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Helmet, Legs and belt should always be crafted with a 300 purple augment.

The reason is that the Mathos, Icewatch and Dragonslayer reputation runes require only a level 1 item. However they do require a level 50 character.

Therefore your main (or person you are paying to do this) must take the crafted piece, apply repuation rune and send it back to your xp capped character.

So the process is:
    2. send item to rune applyer (level 50 with maxed icewatch/mathos/dragonslayer rep)
    Thanks, I guess. Please keep in mind that this isn't about gaming the system with high level characters. I explicitly left out the 10-19 bracket because there's no gear avenue for a new player that allows them to be competitive against players who ship gear augmented with high end enhancements to low level alts to dominate warfronts. It's not sporting and it doesn't help the community or the game. By the time you get into the 20-29 bracket it's still possible to game the system to a certain extent but the higher you go, the less of an impact those methods have on the potency of your gear.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    So the process is:
    They aren't breaking low level warfronts, they are there for the competition as they say! lolz
    Love all the people who were nobodies in the 50s brackets trying to make a name for themselves for being champions of the lower brackets (gold medal winners at the special olympics). It's funny when you call them out (especially in the 40's) it's their "first character" and they are just farming favor for the 50 armor set....
    Last edited by Seether; 03-05-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Gearing doesn't matter if you plan to heal. The heals won't keep up with the damage regardless of how well geared you are.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    Gearing doesn't matter if you plan to heal. The heals won't keep up with the damage regardless of how well geared you are.
    As per your other thread, healing is still invaluable. Most of the time when I go into a warfront where we lose, my healing done (potions) is basically the same as my healing taken. Warfronts where we win, or where I at least stay up long enough to contribute tend to be the ones where either the other team had no healing just like us, or where I received a total of 10-20k healing from sources other than myself. That's not a huge amount of healing, considering a single heal from a geared cleric or chloro in the 40-49 bracket can crit for over 4k by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Most of the time when I go into a warfront where we lose, my healing done (potions) is basically the same as my healing taken.
    Thanks for proving my point. Healing in WFs is pointless because you play the class with the most downtime, and uptime always wins a WF. You took the same damage as you put out, which means you'd either be dead, or useless because you spent all that time healing yourself and not others or doing damage.
    Last edited by Trisian; 03-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Ascendant

Thanks for proving my point. Healing in WFs is pointless because you play the class with the most downtime, and uptime always wins a WF. You took the same damage as you put out, which means you'd either be dead, or useless because you spent all that time healing yourself and not others or doing damage.
    Stop for a moment and consider how much HP you have. Now stop for a moment and consider how much healing you'll do in a warfront even when you get focused fairly quickly as soon as you're in range of any fighting. Most competent healers will be able to manage 10 times their HP in healing done unless they're grossly outmatched by the other team. Whether that's all healing you do on yourself (in which case you're more tank than healer) or healing you do on others, that's 10 fewer deaths for your team in that warfront than if nobody on your team is healing at all.

Again...there's a difference between "useless" and "not what I expect."

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post

Again...there's a difference between "useless" and "not what I expect."
    Not what you'd expect, is a cleric in a WF who's actually able to heal and preform their roll. Reality is that you're the only cleric in that WF who wants to heal, and because you have a blue bar, death is practically instantaneous.

Ascendant

Not what you'd expect, is a cleric in a WF who's actually able to heal and preform their roll. Reality is that you're the only cleric in that WF who wants to heal, and because you have a blue bar, death is practically instantaneous.
    You've already got a thread going on on the topic, so I'll ask you politely to keep the conversation there and not crap up this thread. This thread wasn't made for you to come here and complain about healing in warfronts, it's to talk about gearing options for pre-50 warfronts.

jca
    Rift Chaser

@Trisian,

I agree with you that healing doesn't scale as well as damage in the lower brackets, but I honestly think you're going way over the top with it. It's not that bad. Healers are effective and really do matter in the lower brackets, they're just not god-like. Could it be that your expectations aren't really realistic and colored by experience at 50? Just a thought and a question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast