+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Black Garden Strategies.

Ascendant

Default Black Garden Strategies.

I have been posting in a thread for WF basic strategies and it got me thinking that it might be helpful if we could get a sticky of strategies for each WF. Now I'm not a PvP guru or anything, but there are a lot of people with good ideas and this could be a spot for us to get them together for one compendium of knowledge.

Black Garden is a very simple WF where the goal is to hold onto the fang to score points, however the longer you hold the fang the more damage you take from it. I believe the damage is a percentage damage of your health that increases the longer you hold it. The first team to 500 wins. The closer the fang carrier is to the center of the WF the more points per second you receive. I believe that a player kill nets you 2 points which is fairly trivial, but in a close match or a match where you lose the fang at the last second it can give you the last few points you need. There are two red ball power ups on the left and right side of the map in a shrine. If there is anything else I am missing I may get editing rights and add it in or take out this last sentence.

When the WF starts it is generally a mad dash to the center to try to wipe the other team. Generally a warrior or cleric or just someone will dash through your team and start attacking a caster that is standing in the back whom they assume is the healer. At this point I would suggest all of your single target fighters focus down this guy and anyone that is AoE heavy should drop AoE on the bunched up group of players on the other end. You must be careful of positioning here because the other team could be dropping AoE all over you as well.

While all of this is going on it is a good idea to try to get control of the fang. It doesn't spawn right away, but after a few seconds of fighting it should spawn. Now by control I don't mean run up and grab it, unless of course the other team is making no attempt to control it themselves. A very good way to control the fang is to drop AoE on top of it and hit as many of the other team as you can with it. The number one rule of Black Garden is whoever controls the fang controls and wins the game.

So you win the fight in the middle or grab a hold of the fang. What now? The closer you are to the center where the fang spawns the more points you get. In my opinion the best thing to do with the fang is to get on your side of the middle area and use the spikes to LoS the enemy on the other side. The reasons for this are if any of your team mates die they are closer to you when they respawn and the are not LoS (giving your respawned healers/DPS an easier time assisting you), it makes the other team have to come from angles to get to you, the other team has to travel slightly farther to get to you, and you are still very close to the center providing high end points every tick. I like for the DPS to stay in the very center so if they get in trouble they can LoS the enemy running down and so they are close to the fang carrier in case someone sneaks through.

The healers will need to focus on keeping the fang carrier alive while keeping the DPS in the front line alive, remember the majority of your points are coming from holding the fang. The longer the fang carrier holds the fang the more damage he will take per tick so the more important it is that he gets healed up afterwards. You don't want a rogue to time his attack for right after a fang tick and finish your carrier off with minimal effort. Get him topped off as soon as you can.

If you were on the losing side of the exchange and are trying to get the fang back the carrier is your number one priority. If you can get the carrier to drop the fang and prevent the other team from picking it back up it will respawn in the middle after a few seconds. A good way to prevent someone from grabbing the fang is to smother it in AoE. Always have someone ready to grab the fang in the center when it respawns or to control it there. People tend to get tunnelvisioned and want to wipe the other team instead of picking up the fang. The key to victory is holding the fang.

If things get really bad the other team generally puches all the way to your ledge and there is a fight from the top of the ledge to the bottom. This is a bad tactic for the people on top. High ground does not give you an advantage. Warriors will rush up to you and bring the fight to your face while ranged DPS attacks you and the healers keep their team alive. A much better tactic is to immediately run to the left or right after you spawn and try to flank the enemy. You can even catch the fang carrier without defence.

That is really all I have for now and may work on strategies for the other WFs at another time. If anyone has any suggestions, alternate strategies, or builds that work well in this WF please add them. I hope this helps some of the newer players.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Black Garden Strategies

See the fang? Grab the fang.

Your team has the fang? Kill everything you see.

Their team has the fang? Kill everything you see.

Fang's on the ground? Grab the fang.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Black Garden Strategies

See the fang? Grab the fang.

Your team has the fang? Kill everything you see.

Fang's on the ground? Grab the fang.
    Thanks for the bump and I am sure your contribution will help many gamers.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    Thanks for the bump and I am sure your contribution will help many gamers.
    Oh, I hold no delusions that it will, but it only serves to drive home the point that Rift players are unable to grasp the simplest of concepts.

Plane Walker

Black Garden Strategies

This unfortunately is the thought process of people and it is the biggest wrong you could tell anyone

When their team has the fang you kill the fang holder.
    Everyone else is 2nd
    The longer you mess around killing other people the more points they accumulate.
    You kill the guy with the fang. If that means you as a mage have to run behind the tree on top of a warrior, then thats what it means.
    Doesnt matter if they are being healed you put 8 people on one target they are gonna drop. Put your AoEs on the fang wait for respawn and grab it

This is a situational strategy that I have employed many times. It works well in pugs, though it is somewhat counter intuitive.

If you have the fang and are about ready to die, run to their side of the map, where all your DPS is. Die there and hope your DPS is smart enough to keep others off of it or pick it up themselves.

Then a healer or ranged should drop back to the center to pick up the fang when it respawns. Or if the rez timer lines up, you can get back to it to pick it up again.

The reason for this strategy and why it works, is the DPS is usually too dumb to run back and support the fang carrier when he/she is about to die. Putting the fang right there in front of them, reminds them of the objective. It also prevents a rogue or someone else beating on the fang carrier from picking it up quickly.
    Last edited by zoobaby; 09-27-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Proud slacker of Einherjar
    Nasana - R40 Cleric
    Kee - R24 Fail Mage
    "We Threw Gasoline On The Fire And Now We Have Stumps For Arms And No Eyebrows"

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Barsh View Post
    This unfortunately is the thought process of people and it is the biggest wrong you could tell anyone

Everyone else is 2nd
    The longer you mess around killing other people the more points they accumulate.
    You kill the guy with the fang. If that means you as a mage have to run behind the tree on top of a warrior, then thats what it means.
    Doesnt matter if they are being healed you put 8 people on one target they are gonna drop. Put your AoEs on the fang wait for respawn and grab it
    This is true. Holding the fang dictates where the fight is. Even if you grab the fang and there are only two of your team mates alive you can run towards your spawn so reinforcements can get there sooner. I have had many Black Gardens change all because the fang was dropped. That is really all it takes. Have good control of the fang and you win the match.

Kill the carrier, make the fang respawn, and have someone ready to pick it up.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

There was some strategy when there were red balls worth getting.

Not so much now
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Plane Touched

Everyone else is 2nd
    You don't have to kill the fang holder.

Kill a healer, and rift prison the fang holder. Two rift prisons timed just right, and the fang holder will die pretty effortlessly.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by zoobaby View Post
    This is a situational strategy that I have employed many times. It works well in pugs, though it is somewhat counter intuitive.

If you have the fang and are about ready to die, run to their side of the map, where all your DPS is. Die there and hope your DPS is smart enough to keep others off of it or pick it up themselves.

Then a healer or ranged should drop back to the center to pick up the fang when it respawns. Or if the rez timer lines up, you can get back to it to pick it up again.

The reason for this strategy and why it works, is the DPS is usually too dumb to run back and support the fang carrier when he/she is about to die. Putting the fang right there in front of them, reminds them of the objective. It also prevents a rogue or someone else beating on the fang carrier from picking it up quickly.
    Yes this is a situational strategy, but it is a very good one. If you are generally winning the fight it is a good idea to head to your DPS when you are dying so they can pick it up quickly instead of the guy killing you picking it up. If you are on the losing side I find it better to try to get as close to your reinforcements as possible which can be a bit riskier because it gives the other team control of the middle. Sometimes though you just lost a key healer that caused your wipe and once him and your DPS get back you can get that control back or they are already heading to you and you are running back to cover.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Quote Originally Posted by Nangasaur View Post
    You don't have to kill the fang holder.

Kill a healer, and rift prison the fang holder. Two rift prisons timed just right, and the fang holder will die pretty effortlessly.
    Correct. Also, you just queue with 2+ locks cast/stopcasting DS. That's the new and best strategy.

Everyone else is 2nd
    Amateur.

Against a competent team that's exercising proper control of the map (i.e. their fang carrier is on the edge of the 6pt circle on your side, and the rest of the team is swarming your side), you have to kill enough of them to regain map control. Killing the fang carrier does nothing while they have map control; they'll simply have someone else grab it. Thus, you approach this fight with the goal of killing all of them, and prioritize your group's targets appropriately. Chances are the fang carrier dies to fang damage in this fight anyway.

Now, if you have map control and they have the fang for whatever reason, you could prioritize the fang carrier and force the fang to reset. But that's largely irrelevant too, because if you have map control you'd just want to kill everyone to prevent them from getting it.

It's less complicated than you think. Grab fang. Kill everyone. Grab fang.

Telaran

Excellent introduction, and very nice discussion. Thank you for your effort

capture fang, hide behind tree at corner closest to your spawn

maybe even send a force to camp the other team and keep them from leaving their spawn.

is there really anything else?
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Plane Walker

Amateur.

Against a competent team that's exercising proper control of the map (i.e. their fang carrier is on the edge of the 6pt circle on your side, and the rest of the team is swarming your side), you have to kill enough of them to regain map control. Killing the fang carrier does nothing while they have map control; they'll simply have someone else grab it. Thus, you approach this fight with the goal of killing all of them, and prioritize your group's targets appropriately. Chances are the fang carrier dies to fang damage in this fight anyway.

Now, if you have map control and they have the fang for whatever reason, you could prioritize the fang carrier and force the fang to reset. But that's largely irrelevant too, because if you have map control you'd just want to kill everyone to prevent them from getting it.

It's less complicated than you think. Grab fang. Kill everyone. Grab fang.
    LOL is all I can say. I respect an opposing view but you act as though in a pug there is stuff like map control and the flag carrier stragetically stands in a spot.
    I guess you play all premades
    Fang carrier dies to fang damage lol have you ever set foot in this warfront at all. I mean yea eventually maybe after 80-100 point or so if no one is healing them

You never need map control you need to control an area not the map. If the non fang controlling side is all on the fang carrier that is the area. You control where their team has to go not the other way around
    You actually condone people standing on this hill casting down at random people lol you must not win alot and sadly your view is what people do and sadly those people are ametuer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast