+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Tips and Tricks to the Low Geared / New PvP Player

Default Tips and Tricks to the Low Geared / New PvP Player

Introduction :

I would like to start a thread where people, like me, grinded their way up the ranks (even post 1.2 when there was a bunch of p6's and premades) and that didn't find the ride that much of a problem.

In other words, I'd like to make an extensive list of tips and tricks that could make our low geared/new PvP player enjoy their way more than they currently do at the same time as making them better players.

My contribution:

1. If you are a dps class, the guild perk [Blood Thirsty] should always be on. Yes it costs 50g/hour, but 30% of your health everytime you make a kill enables you to win 1v2 and 1v3 battles. Even survive Sin's/Warlocks's dots after taking them down.

2. Keep in line of sight of your healers and show them some love! There's nothing that pisses a healer more than someone saying "Wtb heals". He might go dps just to piss you off next time he sees you.

3. Protect your healers! Yes, theirs is a priority target, but without yours, you won't last as long.

4. LOS those high damaging abilities. At some point, you'll recognize each of every classes' big dps cooldowns such as [Improved Hit and Run] or [Bend Like The Reed]

5. Be aware of your environment, where to LOS the ranged classes This works for both the ranged DPS classes and Healers. A Healer on the side of the pillar in codex will not get hit by the squishy DPS on the rocks unless they go down while remaining in the line of sight of his team mates.

6. Spend time making your build. Getting one from a team mate is certainly inspiring, but asking for where every points are spent is a stretch. You will do a lot better by knowing what the advantages of your builds are than not. I hardly know any build that is good against everything. Each builds should have a "role" and "objective". You should know that pure dps classes without heal debuffs won't do anything against healers, their HPS clearly outdps you. Get to know the strenght and weaknesses of your build so you can improve it constantly. There's a lot more than the cookie cutters that are viable.

7. Spend time keybinding/knowing your skills. Knowledge is power.

8. Do not be bossy in warfronts As much as you can be a t2 leader or raid leader, if you don't hop in a warfront with your guys, people won't listen to you. If you have a negative attitude (Raging), please refrain from pointing fingers at everyone else : That makes you look silly and cocky. That attitude pisses your team mates which would either spend time typing to argue with you when there are a lot more better things you can do in a warfront than talking.

9. Play for the team. That means, there shouldn't be 5 stealthed rogue waiting in vault or people trying to solo cap a point defended by three people. Try to predict the outcome of battles considering the current situation. i.e. Your gear, your opponent's gear, his buffs (what is your opponent playing?), etc.

10. Recognize your opponent's gear There aren't a lot of PvP gear sets. Telling the difference between a r2 and r6 cleric can be a game changer. Especially if you specialize in burst damage.

11. If a build enables you to run shards or objectives without being gear reliant, use it. i.e. if you are a rogue, a good flag runner turns the tide in whitefall.

12. Buy the PvP Gear. Yes, you might buy your p6 gear faster if you just spare it until then. But if you are prone to raging/complain about balance, refraining yourself from doing better is only going to hurt you.

13. Keep in mind that the ride from r1 to r3 is about 3-4 evenings of PvP.

14. Learn how to circle strafe. If your A and D keys are still for keyboard turning, spend some time putting them as strafe left and right instead, get used to it and practice circle strafing mobs or whatever.

15. Keybind ALL of your abilities, even potions! PvP is fast paced, wasting a gcd searching for your
    ability while circle strafing/staying aware of where you are in the battle field simply doesn't cut it. For instance, I use : 1-5, Q-E-R, Z-X-C, Shift + (1-5, Q-E-R, Z-X-C), Alt + 1-5 (for buffs), Alt + Q-E-R for Stuff you don't use often. Make it logical.

There are surely more tips we can give, and I leave it up to you guys.

Please, refrain from flaming/trolling in this thread. I want to keep it as clean as possible for our lower geared/new PvPers to learn from this.

1. Consider a support role. Buffing higher geared players is better than running a pure dps role in which you get 2 shot anyway.

2. In Port of Scion, play the pve game. Run shards, turn in quests, take out idols, kill opponents bosses.

3. Learn your opponents buffs. Blowing your cds when an opponent has a damage reducing or reflection buff is pointless. Better yet, remove his buff.

4. Assist target or assist focus. If you're in a pug where the raid leader isn't marking high priority targets, then assist someone who looks like they know what they're doing.

5. (Expanding on OPs #3), ask your raid leader to mark your healers so you can can readily see when they're getting focused.

6. If you're the raid leader, mark the healers on your team & the opposing team.

7. After you respawn due to death, be sure to leave spawn area with a group. Going single file to your death just helps the other team. Unless you course you're a rogue & can stealth.

Lunch is served. Maybe more later.
    Last edited by Morituri; 07-30-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    1. Consider a support role. Buffing higher geared players is better than running a pure dps role in which you get 2 shot anyway.

2. In Port of Scion, play the pve game. Run shards, turn in quests, take out idols, kill opponents bosses.

3. Learn your opponents buffs. Blowing your cds when an opponent has a damage reducing or reflection buff is pointless. Better yet, remove his buff.

4. Assist target or assist focus. If you're in a pug where the raid leader isn't marking high priority targets, then assist someone who looks like they know what they're doing.

5. (Expanding on OPs #3), ask your raid leader to mark your healers so you can can readily see when they're getting focused.

6. If you're the raid leader, mark the healers on your team & the opposing team.

7. After you respawn due to death, be sure to leave spawn area with a group. Going single file to your death just helps the other team. Unless you course you're a rogue & can stealth.

Lunch is served. Maybe more later.
    What he said 10/10. Thanks for putting it up!
    Last edited by Sir Sowl; 07-30-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sowl View Post
    What he said 10/10. Thanks for putting it up!
    Great Thread Sowl!!!!

This should be stickied. +1

Agreed - should be stickied

Very helpful thread - kudos for posting it ^.^

If you are rank two and heading toward the red buff and see a rank six heading to it also. Please defer to the rank six. Even clerics. They make great use of it too.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

If you're running alongside your teammate who is carrying the shard down the field in whitefall, and you're coming up on the blue ball...for crying out loud, let the shard carrier take it.

Rivellana - R7 Eth Cleric (Retired)
    Lexxii - R6 Dwarf Cleric

Thumbs up

Thanks, good info here! I'm still a lowbie but I find that this is good info even in other brackets. The first few levels of a tier can be rough. On my rogue I tend to run a bard build for the first 5 levels of a bracket and a chloro build on my mage. I feel more useful as support. I know the disparity is probably greater with prestige ranks but people will only benefit from employing many of these tips in the earlier brackets as well.
    Shiadra, Shiasha, Facemoth, and Fimhira
    <Wandering Idiot>
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Bandit Hideout and Silverwood Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herbal_Fairy View Post
    Thanks, good info here! I'm still a lowbie but I find that this is good info even in other brackets. The first few levels of a tier can be rough. On my rogue I tend to run a bard build for the first 5 levels of a bracket and a chloro build on my mage. I feel more useful as support. I know the disparity is probably greater with prestige ranks but people will only benefit from employing many of these tips in the earlier brackets as well.
    Big pro tip for pvp support bards.

Wait for the enemy fangs carrier to tick for big damage and then fail jail them. They can't be healed by their teammates..
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

2. yes keeping in los is very important

also along those lines, the further you go into the enemy pack the more the healers puts themselves in danger to heal you. So either expect to die or expect to protect
    So long rift, may your potential someday be realised

5. Extended edition : Know where your team mates are! That too is a huge help. If you are flag running, waiting until they are in a reasonable range before capping could be the difference between your death and success.

16. Know your role and play accordingly. In other words, what are you specializing in? Ranged DPS? Then you probably need a meat shield (one of your warriors fighting the front lines) if you want to do that efficiently. Spreading Fell Blades in AoE, Pressure DPS and Tanking? You might want to hop in the group fights where you have good DPS that could profit from Fell Blades. Burst Damage out of Stealth? Maybe you shouldn't try to gank a target in the middle of three teammates.

Obviously, my examples are rather rogue-ish. That's because I'm a rogue and don't know extensively how the other callings play theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sowl View Post
    5. Extended edition : Know where your team mates are! That too is a huge help. If you are flag running, waiting until they are in a reasonable range before capping could be the difference between your death and success.

16. Know your role and play accordingly. In other words, what are you specializing in? Ranged DPS? Then you probably need a meat shield (one of your warriors fighting the front lines) if you want to do that efficiently. Spreading Fell Blades in AoE, Pressure DPS and Tanking? You might want to hop in the group fights where you have good DPS that could profit from Fell Blades. Burst Damage out of Stealth? Maybe you shouldn't try to gank a target in the middle of three teammates.

Obviously, my examples are rather rogue-ish. That's because I'm a rogue and don't know extensively how the other callings play theirs.
    One thing I would add is the concept of 'Stay close to the pack, just not TOO close.' Rolling as the zerg and focus firing usually assures a steamrolling, but it's important that while in this zerg you try to space out as best you can to minimize the power of AoE pressure on your raid. AoE pressure is the one thing that will stop your zerg. When in the open, try to stay about 10y away from other people as best you can if you're ranged/caster. Melee don't have much choice except between targets. Be aware of choke points and funnels on your map and don't waste any time there if possible.

The flip side of this is realize the power of AoE pressure on the zerg. If you see 3 or more enemy in one spot, reflecting on your PvE experience (if you don't have any God Bless your soul), you'll know that your dps output is maximized at this point beyond what you can do to a single target. Even though the health bars move slower, realize that all of that damage has to be healed, and that means healers are focusing their efforts mostly on AoE heals. Overall, if you team is all dropping AoE on a gathered enemy, There won't be enough HPS to cover it all and all of a sudden their whole team drops within a few seconds of each other. And you can do it at lower ranks!
    Last edited by Virchow; 07-31-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Telaran

Best thread ever! Thanks for the wisdom.

What is fail jail? Is that rift prison?

Also what abilities can and cant spread fell blades from range? Ive been going into melee to spread it but apparently it can be spread from range and even aoe? Which aoes? Fan out only or others?

Also when i play bard i feel worthless and like i cant heal through any damage at all and like i get focus slaughtered immediately. Any tips?

Default How about carrying this help a little further.

I am still in my 40s and have pvped all the way up. Love it. I am worried about 50 RvR because of gear and I am thinking about rerolling and doing 1-49 again. Could use some help.

Can I just continue utilizing the pvp gear and compete or is there essential pve gear that is needed to progress post 50? Please no pve What essential stats need to be stacked? i.e. valor, hit.

Any experienced help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Synfain; 07-31-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Rift Disciple

1. Keep a frequent eye on your warfront map. Knowing where your teammates are at is a must especially when completing objectives like flag running. Also, knowing where the enemy flag is running at in Whitefall is a must.

2. Always mind your surroundings. Situational awareness will save your life more than the best defensive CD. Tunnel vision will get even a seasoned PvPer killed quickly.

3. Be judicious in your use of defensive and offensive CDs. Using your burst damage on one low-value target is a waste of your time. Using Break Free when you're feared or stunned and in no danger of dying, let alone anyone else dying, is skill wasted.

4. Aside from using keys to strafe right and left, never ever keyboard turn. Use your mouse.

5. Make liberal use of tab targeting. If you are trying to damage something that is parrying or is immune to everything or is taking a low amount of damage, find another target. Or wait out his defensive CD. That means pay attention to the damage you are doing.

6. And on the subject of tab targeting, for God's sake, stop attacking the 9k HP tank who is getting chain healed.

7. Do planar invasions as often as you can. Stocking Soul Shards, etc. are great for PvP.

8. It's ok to be nervous. The one and only way to get better at PvP is practice practice practice.

9. Tip to my fellow PvP marksmen: Learn how to jump kite (space bar hopping while mouse turning and firing and running away) opposing melee who are attacking you. It will save your life and in addition, quite possibly take theirs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast