+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Aielma
  • 1 Post By InflatablePanda
  • 1 Post By Hababa

Thread: Zilas Guide

Default Zilas Guide

Zilas is a fight that has a lot of individual responsibility. If everyone can do their job perfectly and knows the proper order to dps adds, it's a kill.

Note: My guild makes fun of me for not knowing the names of anything. Sorry in advance. Please feel free to add your own tips/corrections as well. I'm posting this because forums are all "I see a million things people are doing wrong on Zilas". If you see a million things, then help everyone understand what they should be doing right. Also I've noticed some guilds have just gotten to Zilas who could probably use clearer strats and I don't really want to see another nerf because I like the fight. I'm SURE some people will be tempted to point out everything we do wrong and I'm opening myself up to that by posting this. Hopefully most just realize I'm trying to help others. Our strat works very well for us. Please alter as you see fit to meet your guild's needs.

Group setup:
    - 1 tank (some guilds run 2 but that seems to be the anomaly now)
    - Puri (with HC), 61 Phys, Defiler (you can try running other healing setups but this one is the most vetted as far as I can tell)
    - Bard/Oracle
    - Chon
    - Some guilds run a harbchloro or even full chloro. For initial progression, a full chloro is nice. When interrupts are being hit, swap it to dps or to harbchloro.
    - 12-13 dps including one or two aoe dps who hang out in the middle and aoe down the adds - stormcaller works well

Special roles needed:
    - 2 people to interrupt Imps. I believe they don't start casting until they get on the platform.
    - 2 people with interrupts with cooldowns under 10s to interrupt the Drifting Spirits and dps them down (Reavers work well and I think some guilds might use mages with double ints). We have an extra person help dps them down just to prevent them from building up. It's very helpful if they have blinks to int on the beam phases.
    - 1 person to hit the crystal and stun the magus. Be aware of cast time and also certain abilities don't work on the crystals.
    - (optional) An additional person to hit the crystals for butchers
    - 2 people to interrupt the Wrathful Flesh for final 30%

Things that must be killed:
    - Zilas - Dude who wears a dress in the middle. He won't move from his spot.
    - Escaped Imp - Heals the boss if not interrupted and take one of the side paths to get on the platform.
    - Escaped Butchers - Each additional butcher in the middle will cause everyone to deal 10% less damage
    - Drifting Spirit - White ghosts that spawn on the sides. Dark Volley needs to be interrupted or the raid will take a lot of damage (although not necessarily a raid wipe). They spawn from the start to 70% and then from 50% down to 0.
    - Escaped Magus - They run from the front onto the platform. If they aren't dead by the time they finish a cast on the platform, the raid will wipe.
    - Little bone add things - They run from the stairs to the boss after each beam phase. Don't really do anything but they do add damage to the tank(s)
    - Umbral - After 30% these stand near the crystal where the magus will run down. They prevent you from hitting the crystal to stop the magus. AKA they need to be killed FAST. The bottom ones are much easier to get LOS from the platform vs the top ones.
    - Wrathful flesh - 2 adds that will spawn after 30% with the skele group. Need to be interrupted or, like spirits, will cause raid-wide damage.

Overall flow of the fight:
    Group will stack behind boss and dps. Adds will spawn in front of the group, near where you entered the room and travel either along the two left or two right paths to the boss. Each of the paths has a crystal area where the add can be stunned twice. In order to stun an add, hit the crystal with an ability (dots generally don't work) when the add hits the grated part of the path. The crystal will turn green while it is stunned and will be stunned for a certain number of seconds (10?) then it will turn yellow for 2 seconds and then you can hit it again to stun it when it turns back red. It is very important that nobody but a designated person hits it - it will be very hard to recover if a magus gets through a grate section without any stuns. The only two adds that should ever be stunned are maguses (which have #1 priority) and butchers. A stun adds a debuff to the add for I believe 10% extra damage which is why it's nice but not required to stun the butchers.

When a Magus starts running along one of the paths, the dps who aren't doing other responsibilities should start dpsing the Magus. Some guilds wait until the Magus hits the grate to dps it, we start earlier to get ahead. The magus should be stunned twice as you dps it down. We leave the Magus a little early and let dots tick it down to 0.

When Zilas hits 70% the beam timers will start. At the start of the beam phase, Zilas will spin almost one full turn facing a wisp before it officially starts. This gives the raid time to get behind the beam. After that, the melee section around Zilas and the actual beam coming out of him will become active and one shot anyone who stands in either section. You can blink across the beam if you time it well. You need to continue hitting all interrupts during this phase. The beam ends when he finishes his cast which is just a full turn and a half. During the beam phase everyone has to be on the center platform. Beams are a good time to get down butchers.

Starting at 50% Zilas casts a single target stun that should be cleansed.

At 30% is when the fight really starts. As mentioned, wrathful flesh appears with the skeletons and have to be interrupted. Additionally, when a Magus spawns, an umbral spawns at the crystal. The raid should burn that Umbral down as fast as possible so that you can get full stuns on the magus.

For the final 10ish%, as long as you can stun the Magus coming in and don't have any coming on the platform, the raid can turn and dps the boss. It takes longer than you might realize for the Magus to get into the platform and finish casting.

Fight by role:

Tank
    - Most likely you'll have one of the interrupts
    - Turn the boss to face the entrance of the room. He does cleave.
    - You should be rotating CDs with the healers
    - You have to stay in melee range of Zilas except on the beam phase. If the person Zilas is targeting is outside of melee range, the entire group will take damage (aka if the tank dies and you are only running 1 tank, it's generally a wipe).
    - After the beam phase there will be a bunch of little adds that spawn from the stairs that need to be gathered up. Also imps and butchers will flow in from behind the group that you'll need to pick up.
    - I'm not familiar with the 2 tank method so if someone wants to explain that, go for it.

Healers
    - Make sure there's a defined CD rotation. We rotate large CDs after each beam phase because that's when all the adds come out and wreck the tank. Some guilds keep a set rotation after each beam phase but just note that there is not exactly a minute between each beam phase. Our 3 CDs that we base everything around a Healer's Cov (from the Puri), UT (from the defiler), 35% mitigation tank CD.
    - After 50% remember to cleanse. If that person is out of range it's usually not a big deal to let the dots tick off (maybe 5 seconds?)
    - Generally defiler with dw is a good option for hitting the crystals, just be aware of travel time.
    - If possible, save aoe heals for if an interrupt is missed
    - This sounds easier than it is

Support
    - Nothing really special other than make sure at least the Maguses are debuffed. It's nice if the bard/oracle can debuff the center but not sure how feasible that is. We've had discussions around whether it makes more sense for the chon to swap to maguses or the bard/oracle. I'll let others weigh in if they have strong opinions.

DPS
    - If you have a special role, do that above everything else.
    - The dps staying in the middle we have are the 1-2 aoe dps and the ghost interrupters. Ideally the imp interrupters will be in that group. Also make sure that after 30% the wrathful flesh interrupters are close enough to interrupt.
    - For everyone else, priority is Magus/Umbral > Butcher > Zilas. Note that ZILAS IS LAST IN THAT LIST. You should focus down the butchers so mark one for DPS to kill and then keep marking. Otherwise you'll have 3 butchers at 30% and that's 30% less damage for the raid. We have someone specifically mark the butchers.
    - Do not hit the crystal by mistake.

Kill boss, GG.

Extra tips - Take or leave as you see fit:
    1. It's nice to have someone who can mark all the adds and call when a Magus spawns. The add watch add-on helps with this. We have another person call when there's 5 seconds before a beam so that dps on Magus can come down.
    2. Here's a nice macro to help with marking the Wrathful Flesh:
    Tar wrathful flesh
    Mark 15
    Targetexact wrathful flesh
    Mark 10
    3. In the final 30% a Magus dying and an Umbral spawning are very close together. I'd suggest only having a subset of raiders chase the Magus and the rest return to the platform to be ready for the next Umbral to spawn.
    4. I've seen a few guilds mark the crystals so that they are easy to stun and also so that dps know where to go when a Magus comes. For example mark them 1 2 3 4. I think that's a cool idea.

Credits:
    This strat comes from way too many streams watched, quality guild progression (many wipes, very wow), and tips from others. Thanks to all. Also thanks to your mom.

Extra unhelpful tip:
    If you really want to piss off people in raid, make a sound like "oh crap" when Zilas is at under 30% and don't explain why.
    Last edited by Aielma; 08-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Drifting Spirits start spawning @90%, the rest about them is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Drifting Spirits start spawning @90%, the rest about them is correct.
    Ah truths!

Good guide, enjoyed reading and hopefully people who are looking to progress on this read it

A few in depth things i do think are worth mentioning if people really want to look in depth in order to min max.

Healing setup: Chloro v Phys
    If you can use a chloro, do it. It's a huge dps jump on the raid that is worth it if you're barely breaching the dps check.

61 phys however makes it significantly easier to heal the tank, but you will lose the dps as well as the raid hps. If you are forced to have a 54harb on the platform to compensate for the lack of raid healing from the 61phys it isn't worth doing anymore (unless of course you can afford the dps to do so, but if you're progressing on this boss you probably wouldn't)

In addition to this, if you have a choice of tank. Mage Tanks are god tier for this fight. Clerics will give you an additional battle res and will help fill that raid hps requirement if you chose to 61phys, but at the cost of a lot more damage taken.

Interrupting Ghosts:
    two reavers doing this while they double dot in the priority order of Magus > Zilas will help dps. However if you're behind on ghosts a inqui/pyro + reaver is doable for ghosts fairly easily. Tip to this is micro managing the 2nd ghost (they spawn in sets of two). 4th cast is interrupt if i remember correctly, so when the 2nd in the set spawns you have around 6 seconds before the cast begins that needs to be interrupted. Wait around 4-6 seconds then swap the pyro/inquis to the second, this will allow the reaver to finish off the first ghost then swap eventually to the 2nd to catch that interrupt you can no longer get with the 10s one.

When blinking through the laser, the closer to the boss the easier it is. Since the beam is moving faster it's easier to blink over it. I've had some people ask me before how to blink through it before so i thought it would be a good tip to mention.

AOE DPS Options:
    Champ and storm caller are definitely the highest aoe dps specs for this fight. Stormcaller will win over champion purely due to champion being melee, however champion brings an aoe crit buff which can be crucial to upping DPS to adds. It's pretty general to run one of each of these two until you're comfortable to drop one in which you would drop the storm caller.

Butcher Stunning:
    If you can do this, your progression will be miles easier. A tip for stunning the butcher: Due to the fast a mage can spawn behind a butcher, you need to stun all butchers on the beginning half of the stun platform, otherwise the mage leading behind the butcher will hit the stun pad before the crystal is active again which will cause you to lose a stun and only get one stun on the mage.

DPSing Butchers is always a gain. Always prioritize butchers over zilas if you're single targeting.
    Last edited by InflatablePanda; 08-23-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InflatablePanda View Post
    Awesome things
    Thanks - that's exactly the type of information that I was hoping others would post

Quote Originally Posted by InflatablePanda View Post
    Good guide, enjoyed reading and hopefully people who are looking to progress on this read it

A few in depth things i do think are worth mentioning if people really want to look in depth in order to min max.

Healing setup: Chloro v Phys
    If you can use a chloro, do it. It's a huge dps jump on the raid that is worth it if you're barely breaching the dps check.

61 phys however makes it significantly easier to heal the tank, but you will lose the dps as well as the raid hps. If you are forced to have a 54harb on the platform to compensate for the lack of raid healing from the 61phys it isn't worth doing anymore (unless of course you can afford the dps to do so, but if you're progressing on this boss you probably wouldn't)

In addition to this, if you have a choice of tank. Mage Tanks are god tier for this fight. Clerics will give you an additional battle res and will help fill that raid hps requirement if you chose to 61phys, but at the cost of a lot more damage taken.

Interrupting Ghosts:
    two reavers doing this while they double dot in the priority order of Magus > Zilas will help dps. However if you're behind on ghosts a inqui/pyro + reaver is doable for ghosts fairly easily. Tip to this is micro managing the 2nd ghost (they spawn in sets of two). 4th cast is interrupt if i remember correctly, so when the 2nd in the set spawns you have around 6 seconds before the cast begins that needs to be interrupted. Wait around 4-6 seconds then swap the pyro/inquis to the second, this will allow the reaver to finish off the first ghost then swap eventually to the 2nd to catch that interrupt you can no longer get with the 10s one.

When blinking through the laser, the closer to the boss the easier it is. Since the beam is moving faster it's easier to blink over it. I've had some people ask me before how to blink through it before so i thought it would be a good tip to mention.

AOE DPS Options:
    Champ and storm caller are definitely the highest aoe dps specs for this fight. Stormcaller will win over champion purely due to champion being melee, however champion brings an aoe crit buff which can be crucial to upping DPS to adds. It's pretty general to run one of each of these two until you're comfortable to drop one in which you would drop the storm caller.

Butcher Stunning:
    If you can do this, your progression will be miles easier. A tip for stunning the butcher: Due to the fast a mage can spawn behind a butcher, you need to stun all butchers on the beginning half of the stun platform, otherwise the mage leading behind the butcher will hit the stun pad before the crystal is active again which will cause you to lose a stun and only get one stun on the mage.

DPSing Butchers is always a gain. Always prioritize butchers over zilas if you're single targeting.
    I have to say, I really disagree with ST dps prioritising Butchers over Zilas. Imo, they should only be switching to Butchers if there are more than 2 butchers up. Especially in the last 30%, your ST dps will be constantly switching between Umbrals, Magus and Zilas. If you have them ST every Butcher, they will barely have any time dealing actual boss dps.

Also, blinking through the beam is incredibly risky considering server stability. I have died a lot of times simply because the servers said no to my blink despite taking all the correct steps (my dead body would get blinked!). I think that blinking should only be used as a last resort if your raid is seriously struggling with Umbral dps during beams.

For Drifting Spirits, Pyro is bis for this as with 2 domi in the spec, you will be able to rupt every dangerous cast as well as Pyro being one of the best specs in the game for target switching. I feel Reavers are much more effective double dotting Zilas and Magus and having the option to aoe cleave which would be reduced if they were having to kill Drifting Spirits as well.
    Kerghann@Zaviel
    #1 Ninja puller/quitter #1 Flaring Powah User
    Who even knows/9 MoM
    YouTube Channel!

I've made blinking through beams into a fine art. The trick is to blink earlier than expected, typically when the beam is at the extent of your blink range and not when it's extremely close.

+ Reply to Thread