+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Popolairis

Thread: Raali's Raid Support Guide

Shadowlander

Default Raali's Raid Support Guide

Hey guys, this is my first guide. It started out as a guide for a few friends/guildies, and has turned into something I thought might have some use here. Please enjoy, and I encourage feedback. Thanks!

Raali’s Raid DPS Cooldown Guide

Heya people. This is a guide for all you supports, and people with support abilities. I’m anticipating this guide will be very long, but I’ve been involved in so so so many groups lately where cooldowns just aren’t being used properly, and it’s become my biggest pet peeve in Rift. I’ll mostly be going over proper usage of buffs/debuffs, timing, and awareness of cancelling out others. This guide won’t be going over how to make your support builds as there’s many tools at your disposal to do so, but rather the abilities the support trees give you. I’ll be going over each class individually, then summarizing at the end.

This guide is focused around standard raid format of 1 Archon, 1 Bard/Oracle, and Chloro/Physicians. I will include a bit about Beastmaster as well, but it may not be in my own words as I’m not overly familiar with it.

I HIGHLY recommend to everyone getting an addon or setting up Kalerts for these abilities to maximize their DPS, and for the supports to know exactly when it’s their turn. Personally I use an addon called RaidCooldowns, in conjunction with Kalerts.

Mage:
    Archon:
    Archon is a unique support role in that Warriors Beastmaster is the only thing relatively comparable, but it’s not really that close. There’s a lot to Archon and what makes it so great, but I’ll be going over just a few of the basics. The Archon is important as they will generally start the entire Cooldown block for the entire raid. It’s pretty key that their timing is on point, and you should develop a consistent pattern for when you start this. General rule of thumb is about 3 GCD’s into the fight as that’s when most DPS have built up what they need to, and start pushing out some heavy numbers. Your goal is to boost those numbers.

Crumbling Resistance:
    Increases non-physical damage by 7% for 5 minutes (per target). As the Archon, in most fights you will be debuffing the boss(es) and other significant adds with this. This may be subject to change as the Bard/Oracle have an AoE version of this, but only lasts 30 seconds.

Ashen Defense:
    Increases physical damage by 5% for 5 minutes (per target). This works the same as Crumbling Resistance. Basically any time you need to use Crumbling Resistance on a target, you’ll be using Ashen Defense as well.

These two abilities can conflict with Bard and Oracle abilities, so it’s important to either be very aware, or set up Kalerts for if they get overwritten. Cleric Inquisitors also have an ability that will overwrite Crumbling resistance, so if you’re having issues, make sure you know that it could be Inquisitors as well.

Flaring Power:
    Increases Attack and Spell Power by 15% on all party or raid members. This is the ability that essentially starts off the entire cooldown process. As an Archon it’s essential you find yourself a good place to start this and be consistent. For example, as a Harbchon I’ll generally start my rotation as Crumbling Resistance > Ashen Defense > Blazing Light > Flaring Power and do that every time so my other supports and DPS know when to start unloading. Also note that Flaring Power has a 2 minute cooldown, BUT it applies a debuff to everyone not allowing them to be affected by it again for 5 minutes (Battle Weary). You should be using this as your timer for when to use Flaring again, rather than the actual cooldown of it. If you have players that die early in the fight, you can safely use Flaring again once it comes off cooldown for the first time. Otherwise, it’s better to just wait the 5 minutes. It’s also worth noting that Flaring Power shares the Battle Weary Debuff with Beastmaster.

Since Flaring Power lasts 30 seconds, the goal is to fit as many DPS cooldowns into that 30 second window as possible, to maximize all of their uses.

Lava Field:
    Increases damage by 15% to all party or raid members (10 normally, 20 if using Combat Alacrity mastery… please do so). This should be cast on either yourself, or on another DPS in your group depending on group positioning. It makes an AoE circle on the ground that is the “hit zone” to apply the buff to your raid. On a fight like Jinoscoth for example, it’s more worth-while to cast this on the melee group as they will be burning hard and stationary, whereas the back group will be moving around and won’t be DPSing as hard.

Lava Field also gets overwritten by the Bard/Oracle’s abilities Orchestra of the Plains/Defend the Fallen respectively. Make sure to coordinate with your Bard/Oracle as to the order you’ll be using your cooldowns. Depending on the fight and the group, this could change. In majority of cases, the ultimate goal is to have both Lava Field and Orchestra/DTF fit into the 30 second Flaring Power window. So if you’re going first, cast it as soon as possible after Flaring, if the Bard/Oracle are going first, cast it as soon as Orchestra/DTF fall off. This is a 1 minute cooldown, and in most cases should be used as soon as it comes back off cooldown. If your Bard/Oracle are doing the same, there shouldn’t be any overlapping.

Chloromancer:
    First things first, I want to thank Deew for the info on this, and for anyone looking to maximize their Chloromancer skills, I HIGHLY recommend checking out his guides.
    http://manoflegends.com/61-chloromancer-guide/
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...oro-guide.html

Wild Growth:
    The primary use of Wild Growth is for the 10% increased damage on all nearby enemies for 12 seconds. It’s important to note that this is actually a DEBUFF to the target. Many people I come across don’t realize this and think it’s a buff to the raid. It also applies a buff/debuff to yourself, so make sure you include in your macro cancelbuff Wild Growth, or you may find yourself running into charge issues. Wild Growth stacks with all other raid cooldowns with the exception of other players’ Wild Growth, and the Rogues Power Core. You should coordinate this with your other healers, and they should be used back-to-back with each other if there’s multiple. This should be used like Lava Field and Orchestra/DTF in the sense that if you have 3 people in your raid, you should be trying to fit as many of them into the 30 second Flaring Power window as possible. The very first Wild Growth/Power Core should be used 3 GCD’s into the fight as well, then used as soon as it comes off cooldown to compliment Lava Field.

Cleric:
    Oracle:
    Since I can’t think of any situation where you’d run both an Oracle and a Bard, I’m not going to cover anything to do with having both.
    Curse of Frailty:
    Increases Physical Damage taken by the enemy by 5% for 30 seconds. This is the exact same as the Archon debuff, but is AoE and only lasts 30 seconds. In the majority of encounters you won’t be using this, the only exception I can think of are Matron and Zilas.

Curse of Consumption:
    Increases Non-Physical damage taken by the enemy by 7% for 30 seconds. Same rules apply as with Curse of Frailty.

Corroded Defense:
    This is the unique debuff that Oracle/Bard has. Causes the enemy to take an additional 1900 damage. This you’ll want to apply to any bosses and other primary targets. For example this would be applied to the crystal on Jinoscoth (if using that method), both Warmasters on Izkinra, and all bosses, just for a few examples. This should be applied as early as possible, and maintained while your targets are alive.

Defend the Fallen:
    The primary use for this cooldown is for the increased damage by all party or raid members by 15% for 15 seconds. This and Lava Field will overwrite each other, so for best results, you should organize with your Archon who’s going to use their cooldown first. Like mentioned in the Archon section, the ultimate goal is to align Defend the Fallen and Lava Field so that they both fit into the 30 second Flaring Power window without cancelling each other out. If you’re using Defend the Fallen before Lava Field, you’re aiming for 3 GCD’s into the encounter. If Lava Field is going first, you’re aiming to use it just as Lava field Falls off.

Resuscinating Chant:
    This is one cooldown that I have some leniency on. Majority of people cast it at the same time as Defend the Fallen, which I personally do just to keep things clean, but as long as you’re getting it off in the 30 second Flaring window, I don’t think it matters that much.

Rogue:
    Bard:
    Coda of Cowardice:
    Increases Physical Damage taken by the enemy by 5% for 30 seconds. This is the exact same as the Archon debuff, but is AoE and only lasts 30 seconds. In the majority of encounters you won’t be using this, the only exception I can think of are Matron and Zilas.

Coda of Distress:
    Increases Non-Physical damage taken by the enemy by 7% for 30 seconds. Same rules apply as with Coda of Cowardice.

Coda of Jeopardy:
    This is the unique debuff that Oracle/Bard has. Causes the enemy to take an additional 1900 damage. This you’ll want to apply to any bosses and other primary targets. For example this would be applied to the crystal on Jinoscoth (if using that method), both Warmasters on Izkinra, and all bosses, just for a few examples. This should be applied as early as possible, and maintained while your targets are alive.

Orchestra:
    The primary use for this cooldown is for the increased damage by all party or raid members by 15% for 15 seconds. This and Lava Field will overwrite each other, so for best results, you should organize with your Archon who’s going to use their cooldown first. Like mentioned in the Archon section, the ultimate goal is to align Orchestra and Lava Field so that they both fit into the 30 second Flaring Power window without cancelling each other out. If you’re using Orchestra before Lava Field, you’re aiming for 3 GCD’s into the encounter. If Lava Field is going first, you’re aiming to use it just as Lava field Falls off.

Verse of Joy:
    This is one cooldown that I have some leniency on. Majority of people cast it at the same time as Orchestra, which I personally do just to keep things clean, but as long as you’re getting it off in the 30 second Flaring window, I don’t think it matters that much.

Tactician
    Power Core
    Power Core is essentially the same as Wild Growth from Chloromancer. It applies a DEBUFF to the target for 15 seconds, causing damage to that target to be increased by 10%. This does not stack with Wild Growth, so ensure that you and any other Tacticians/Chloromancers in your group are coordinated. It should be used back-to-back with each other if there’s multiple. This should be used like Lava Field and Orchestra/DTF in the sense that if you have 3 people in your raid, you should be trying to fit as many of them into the 30 second Flaring Power window as possible. The very first Wild Growth/Power Core should be used 3 GCD’s into the fight as well, then used as soon as it comes off cooldown to compliment Lava Field.

Warrior:
    Beastmaster:
    Before we begin with Beastmaster, I’ll fully admit I’m not the most familiar with it, so this information may not be entirely accurate. But I’ll give the best information that I can with the resources I do have.
    Beastmaster has a couple varaints that can be used with an Archon, or as a replacement for an Archon. Each fight is situational, and many players aren’t very familiar with Beastmaster, so I’d consider it the Beastmasters job to inform others of what they are and aren’t able to do. For example, Beastmaster doesn’t have a 5% physical and 7% non-physical debuff, so if you’re replacing an Archon, make sure to let your Bard/Oracle know that they will need to apply these instead.

Enrage:
    Increases raid damage by 5%, Crit chance by 5%, and Crit Power by 10% for 10 seconds. This does stack with any other raid buffs, so it should be used at the start of the fight with all the other raid cooldowns, then used off cooldown every minute. This is safe to use with or without an Archon.

Command to Attack:
    Increases the raids Attack Power and Spell Power by 15% for 30 seconds. This is essentially the same as Flaring Power, and generally if there’s an Archon they will be using theirs instead. It shares the same 5 minute Battle Weary debuff that Flaring Power applies. If there’s no Archon, then use Command to Attack 3 GCD’s into the fight, then again at the 5 minute mark.

Command to Stand Ground:
    Increases current and maximum health by 25%, armor and resistances by 10% on all party and raid members for 30 seconds. This raid buff will stack with everything, but since there isn’t a DPS boost attached to it, it should be used situationally. One really common place to use this is if you’re using the straight burn method on Jinoscoth, and near the latter end of the fight the raid damage is getting intense for the healers. This along with Command to Recover are the big reason a lot of groups will opt to use a Beastmaster instead of, or in conjunction with an Archon.

Command to Recover:
    Increases healing done by 15% on all raid members for 30 seconds. Again, this will stack with all other raid buffs, and is generally used in the same manner as Command to Stand Ground.

How They All Tie Together
    I can't seem to get the table I made to work on here, so I'll take a screenshot and post the link to that here instead for you to reference. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    http://i.imgur.com/kWCULqi.png

As you can see above, we’re basically trying to stack as much damage as we can in the first 3-30 seconds of the encounter. The main reasoning behind this method is that this is where your DPS players are burning all their cooldowns. The faster you burn them = the faster you get your cooldowns back = the more uses per fight you get to use them. Of course there’s exceptions based on each individual fight, but this is the general rule of thumb. Also notice by the chart that if you use Lava Field before Defend the Fallen / Orchestra, that it lines up nicely with Enrage and Wild Growth each time. Personally, I prefer using it like this, but a lot of groups like using Lava Field second. Ultimately, make sure you’re coordinated with each other.

That’s the guide so far, I’m sure I’m missing bits and pieces here and there, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to get some friends together and make a video showing this all working together as well, but we'll see. My current toons are Raaliana@Greybriar, Raalimage@Laethys, Raayray@Deepwood. Happy raiding!!
    Last edited by Murf89; 08-16-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Raaliana@Faeblight Raarogue@Faeblight Raayray@Faeblight Raalimage@Faeblight Raalist@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Murf89 View Post
    Flaring Power:
    Command to Attack:
    Command to Stand Ground:
    Command to Recover:
    All of these last 30s. More BM info here.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    All of these last 30s. More BM info here.
    Thanks Sedvick. I was actually told about this but forgot to edit it. I will do so right away. Nice catch!
    Raaliana@Faeblight Raarogue@Faeblight Raayray@Faeblight Raalimage@Faeblight Raalist@Deepwood

Forgot about Power Core in Tactician
    phystact op
    Retired since 2/10/16 patch
    Furran the Floor Tank
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep
    idk/9 MoM

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Furran View Post
    Forgot about Power Core in Tactician
    phystact op
    Thank you as well. It's been added!

Good job dude! Looks great.
    Are you a player looking for class guides and other Rift content?
    ChamberDown Youtube Channel

Are you a new/returning player? Check out all the souls in Rift!
    All Callings/Souls in Rift!

http://www.curse.com/addons/rift/chocos-cooldowns

I found this to be everything I need all in one addon. Tracking Raid Cooldowns as well as debuffs.

He updates frequently and takes player feedback into consideration for changes.
    ~Retired Mage, Kabloom~

Chloromancer:
    First things first, I want to thank Deew for the info on this, and for anyone looking to maximize their Chloromancer skills, I HIGHLY recommend checking out his guides.
    http://manoflegends.com/61-chloromancer-guide/
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...oro-guide.html

Wild Growth:
    The primary use of Wild Growth is for the 10% increased damage on all nearby enemies for 12 seconds. It’s important to note that this is actually a DEBUFF to the target. Many people I come across don’t realize this and think it’s a buff to the raid. It also applies a buff/debuff to yourself, so make sure you include in your macro cancelbuff Wild Growth, or you may find yourself running into charge issues. Wild Growth stacks with all other raid cooldowns with the exception of other players’ Wild Growth, and the Rogues Power Core. You should coordinate this with your other healers, and they should be used back-to-back with each other if there’s multiple. This should be used like Lava Field and Orchestra/DTF in the sense that if you have 3 people in your raid, you should be trying to fit as many of them into the 30 second Flaring Power window as possible. The very first Wild Growth/Power Core should be used 3 GCD’s into the fight as well, then used as soon as it comes off cooldown to compliment Lava Field.
    Tip of the ol' hat sir/ma`am. Thanks =D
    Last edited by Deeew; 08-16-2015 at 07:23 AM.
    Those that can, do. Those that can't, write guides on the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    In all seriousness, we don't expect everyone to still be playing SFP

Tactician
    Power Core
    Power Core is essentially the same as Wild Growth from Chloromancer. It applies a DEBUFF to the target for 12 seconds, causing damage to that target to be increased by 10%. This does not stack with Wild Growth, so ensure that you and any other Tacticians/Chloromancers in your group are coordinated. It should be used back-to-back with each other if thereís multiple. This should be used like Lava Field and Orchestra/DTF in the sense that if you have 3 people in your raid, you should be trying to fit as many of them into the 30 second Flaring Power window as possible. The very first Wild Growth/Power Core should be used 3 GCDís into the fight as well, then used as soon as it comes off cooldown to compliment Lava Field.
    Power core is 15s not the same as chloro wild growth
    T1 clear -- T2 clear -- MoM clear

RIFT Guide Writer

2 minor things: You got a typo in the section about enrage (you write it doesn't stack with other raid buffs).

In the section about command to attack you write that archon generally does this. It's better to let BM do it since archon has more stuff they need to cast at start of the fight and it costs charge for them to do flaring. Also at the start of the fight BM can use flaring with 1 sec GCD which means it costs less dps to cast it.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

You forgot Coda of Jeopardy, the bard equivalent to Corroded Defenses. Beastmaster has the identical Spotter's Call as well.

A typo on Enrage:
    'This doesn’t stack with any other raid buffs'

You might also want to mention raid buffs and things like resonance. For example, Beastmasters should not use their armor buff because it gives far less resist than the bard equivalent. If there's a chloromancer in the group, they should use their energy buff, while the bard should use run speed or armor.

Also, if you're going to count chloromancer as part of of raid support, you might as well mention Focus Fire from Tempest as well. There's also Tenebrious Distortion from Defiler (5% non-phys) and other more passive buffs/debuffs (like increased crit chance from assassin/champion).

EDIT: Acuta is a ninja
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 08-16-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Shadowlander

Hey sorry guys, I haven't logged on here in a little while. Thanks everyone for the feedback! Enrage and Power Core have been fixed, and Coda of Jeopardy has been added!

DarkDaemon, I'll be adding those asap. Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason I thought to add some, and forgot about others, so I appreciate it.

Acuta, I was saying that generally the Archon will do it, as I'd say majority of players aren't very familiar with BM, and just expect that the Archon will have it covered. Like I mentioned in the guide, I myself am not very familiar with BM either, but I'll be sure to add a little note about what you mentioned.

Deew, you're welcome sir. (also a sir btw)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!! much appreciated!!

Plane Walker

Even if it isnt supports but your also missing out Tempest and Inq/Defiler for extra deeps aswell for Crit % and Armor debuff.

Aenomaly former <Fires of Heaven>
    Aenomaly - Draenor
    T1: 12/12 - T2: 15/15 - T3: 9/9 - World #1 Arisen Arak
    "A user interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, itís not that good."

+ Reply to Thread