First Boss of Rhen of Fate
    HP = 95.2 Million
    Total Raid DPS needed to beat enrage (7 Minutes): 260k ST

Suggested Beginner's Comp:
    2 Tanks
    1 Purifier
    1 Defiler
    1 AE Healer
    1 Archon (Harbichon > Stormchon) (50k over 3 minutes DPS on lvl 67 raid dummies using all CDs)
    1 Bard/Oracle (25k over 3 minutes DPS on lvl 67 raid dummies)
    3 DPS (48k+ DPS over 3 minutes lvl 67 raid dummies)

Total raid DPS by this composition: 300k ST

Suggested Kill Comp:
    1 Tank
    1 Purifier
    1 AE Healer
    1 Archon (Harbichon > Stormchon) (50k over 3 minutes DPS on lvl 67 raid dummies using all CDs)
    1 Bard/Oracle (25k over 3 minutes DPS on lvl 67 raid dummies)
    5 DPS (48k+ DPS over 3 minutes lvl 67 raid dummies)

Total raid DPS by this composition: 370k ST

Suggested Add-ons (all found on Curse.com):
    • King Boss Mods: For the res master.
    • KBM Add Watch: To see how many are targeting which mobs
    • Raid Cooldowns: To check when Raid CDs are going
    • Gadgets: To track buffs, debuffs, and etc
    • Gadgets LIfeismystery raid frames: To track poison debuff on the raid
    • Karuulalerts: Personalized raid warnings. Read documentation on how to set up.

Basic Overview:
    Phase 1: 100% to 30%

General Raid Mechanics:
    • Fatal Current: Ungolok will target the Main Tank and one random member of the raid. A Red Circle will drop under them. All players have 3 seconds to get out or they will take 100% max HP damage.
    • Poison: Ungolok will randomly DoT members of the raid. Raiders will call out when they are at 3 stacks to aid the tanks.
    • Pressure Blast: Ungolok will emote "Building Pressure". Raiders will have 3s to open one cage placed in 3 spots around the room to prevent one-shot. There will be 3 casts. one gump must be used each cast. Failure to use one is a wipe. Using two for one wave is a wipe. When a raider successfully uses a cage, they must call out "# out". Next person in the chain waits for a knock back before opening their cage. Ideally, first and third cage will be opened by the Bard/Oracle. Second will be by the Archon.
    Phase 2 Additional Mechanics (30% - Dead)
    • Glare: Ungolok will emote that he is "Ungolok Glares at [Player]". They will run to the back in the hallway. All other raiders will move left or right to get out of the red. The raid will then restack behind Ungolok.

Main Tank Mechanics:
    • Frontal Cleave: Ungolok will attack all who are in front of him. Tank must face him away from the raid.
    • Ink Blast: Ungolok will start casting for 2.5s. The tank with aggro will run through Ungolok and face him towards the raid. Once cast is finished, Ungolok farts and kills everything within the 160 degree cone behind him.
    • Ungolok is losing interest: This mechanic only happens when the tank steps out of melee range. This will drop all aggro on the main tank. The tank will single target taunt when this is Emoted and use one of their big aggro grabbers (Hammer, Glacial Spike, etc). If missed, Ungolok will start hitting next highest aggro and likely kill them and the raid.
    Off Tank Mechanics (Only if using Off-tank):
    • Poison and Spawnlings: Using Lifeismystery raid frames or Karuulalerts, the secondary Tank will pull an add in when a person gets 3 stacks of the poison. If the tank has neither add-on, then pulling an add in after every Ink Blast is usually a safe bet. This will raise the DPS requirement.
    • Captured Terror: A shark will spawn in the back of the room within 5 seconds of the giant gold bubble appearing. The off tank will pick up the shark and interrupt "Puncture Heart" or else they will get one-shot.
    DPS Mechanics:
    • DPS Spawnling: When off-tank pulls in a spawnling, burn it down before next pressure blast to make sure everyone survives. This is priority number one. Every DPS must be on on the spawnling until it is dead. Killing the spawnling is more important than killing the Captuerd Terror.
    • DPS Captured Terror: Once any aggro'd spawnlings are dead, kill the Captured Terror.
    • Interrupt Captured Terror: Interrupt any casts of Punctured Heart from the Terror or else the off-tank dies and the shark eats people.
    Support Mechanics:
    • Spawnlings and Captured Terror: Debuff them so they die faster.
    • Spawnling (Harbichon): Use Blade Mark only for spawnlings.
    • Raid CDs:
      • Archons: Earthen Barrage while tank is counting down to pull. Crumbling Resistance + Ashen Defense immediately. Flaring Power and Lava field immediately after debuffs. Lava Field on CD as long as not during Fatal Current.
      • Bard/Oracle: Verse if Joy + Resuscitating Chant during Flaring. Use on CD with other raid CDs after. Orchestra + Defend the Fallen when Lava Field is over. Save 3rd use of Defend/Orchestra to synch with second Flaring.
      • Chloromancer / Phystact: Wild Growth/Power Core 3s after the pull starts, right when Flaring comes up.
    Healer Mechanics:
    • Stack Target: The Chloro or Puro will be the designated stack point for the raid. The off-tank will plant themselves on the line on the road unless there is a Fatal Current going on.
    • Pressure Blast (AE + Puri): Giant AE attack after each cast. Prepare big heal burst for immediately after the first and second casts. Puri should use Flame of Life or Gathering of Flames after the first cast is complete.
    • Pressure Blast Cages (Puri + Defiler): Shield/HoT non-tank cage runners as well as anyone that has 5+ stacks of poison during Pressure Blast.
    • Glare (Puri + Defiler): Shield/HoT whoever gets Glare.

Helpful Macros:

Quote Originally Posted by Interrupt
    #show [Interrupt]
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @focus [Interrupt]
    Use to cast an interrupt at focus. Set focus by pressing Shift+F while on the target. As long as the focus is in range and you are facing the right direction, it will cast the interrupt on the focus instead of your main target. If you have no focus, then it will cast on your primary target instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnling / Captured TerrorTerror Taunt
    #show [Single Target Taunt/Pull/Hammer/Spike]
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [Single Target Taunt/Pull/Hammer/Spike]
    Mark 1
    raid %T Marked <1>
    Use this macro to grab and mark spawnlings. Must follow up with attacks to hold aggro after 3s if using a taunt. Recommend range tank attacks instead of taunts due to range limitations. VKs will have to use their pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Target Macro
    suppressmacrofailures
    tar @mark 1
    Everyone else use this to target the spawnling or terror instead of tab targeting.

Credits:
    Toke@Deepwood: For alternative approaches to stuff that should make things a bit easier.
    Last edited by evantide; 04-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Rift Disciple Definitelynotblitzcrank's Avatar

Although I applaud the effort I don't really agree with the strat or setup of the the raid.

I'm guessing you are making this with players who don't quite meet the norm for dps and healing performance in mind. But to run 2 tanks on this when 1 tank is able to do the exact same job is silly, and splits your heals without good reason.

This may bring up the question of tank damage and that can easily be spaced out by having the tank pull the first add on the first mechanic(either Current or Blast), this add should be dead by the time the shark appears at mechanic #4. Once the first shark is dead or about to die 5%~ pick up the next small add. This pattern repeats itself for the entire fight and will cause stacks to fall at the 7-10 mark as normal.

Also all players should be within the primary tanks guard radius so this is a non issue. Another point I noticed
    Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Ungolok is losing interest: This will drop all aggro on the main tank. The tank will single target taunt when this is Emoted and use one of their big aggro grabbers (Hammer, Glacial Spike, etc). If missed, Ungolok will start hitting next highest aggro and likely kill them and the raid.
    This mechanic is actually only if the tank steps out of melee of the boss and the tank can fix this by stepping back into melee, there is no need to taunt as long as the boss has not swapped targets yet.

This brings me to
    Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Pressure Blast: Ungolok will emote "Building Pressure". Raiders will have 3s to open one cage placed in 3 spots around the room to prevent one-shot. There will be 3 casts. one gump must be used each cast. Failure to use one is a wipe. Using two for one wave is a wipe. When a raider successfully uses a cage, they must call out "# out". Next person in the chain waits for a knock back before opening their cage. Ideally, first cage will be opened by the off-tank. Second will be by the Bard/Oracle. Third will be by main tank.
    This is over-complex for handling this, Have the Bard take cage 1 & 3 and Archon on cage 2. This saves the tank from having to do additional mechanics while picking up and controlling adds, also prevents giving back to said adds. Less people on the mechanic means more dps overall. This job is also easily done by any competent player, I've had everything from Reaver to MM to Inquis handling this mechanic without issue, shouldn't feel pigeon-holed into any one specific role handling this.

Also for the raid setup I would say a defiler is not needed, although the boss and adds hit relatively hard, if handled correctly the damage to the tank is very minimal. In fact even with minimal gearing I don't believe there to be a boss in RoF that really warrants a defiler, but if you need the damage reduction a necromancer in this role would provide higher dps and the same mitigation to a 1-tank setup. Unless you feel as a raid leader that ugly is required due to poor personal cd management on the tank/healer behalf.
    Last edited by Definitelynotblitzcrank; 04-03-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep
    Toke, Mcbong, Meee@Deepwood, Madbomber@Hailol
    MS 5/5 RoF 4/4 TF 3/3 HK 10/11 GP 4/4
    Ordained Priest of the Dudeist Church

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Definitelynotblitzcrank View Post
    Although I applaud the effort I don't really agree with the strat or setup of the the raid.

I'm guessing you are making this with players who don't quite meet the norm for dps and healing performance in mind. But to run 2 tanks on this when 1 tank is able to do the exact same job is silly, and splits your heals without good reason.
    I'd normally agree with 1 tank right off the bat since that's how we did it, you've got people complaining on the forum with all the people ****ing up interrupts, add grabs, turn arounds, and all the other tank oriented stuff htat i'd normally handle solo. This makes it so one tank focuses on Ungolok while other deals with Adds and interrupt.

Not saying I don't agree, but with all the supposed "issues", I'd figure safe than sorry approach.

This may bring up the question of tank damage and that can easily be spaced out by having the tank pull the first add on the first mechanic(either Current or Blast), this add should be dead by the time the shark appears at mechanic #4. Once the first shark is dead or about to die 5%~ pick up the next small add. This pattern repeats itself for the entire fight and will cause stacks to fall at the 7-10 mark as normal.
    I tried suggesting that to a guild working on Ungolok and they said it was too hard. *shrug* Not gonna name names since I think that goes against the rules. Also, from checking the numbers, a chloro doing AE is actually able to power through all of just the add damage. Or a phys/tact healing off the off-tank.

Also all players should be within the primary tanks guard radius so this is a non issue. Another point I noticed

This mechanic is actually only if the tank steps out of melee of the boss and the tank can fix this by stepping back into melee, there is no need to taunt as long as the boss has not swapped targets yet.
    Ya know, I don't think I ever noticed that since we've always had the tank take cage 3. We progressed with a rogue tank and had them blink back to the cage. Interesting and nice to know.

This brings me to

This is over-complex for handling this, Have the Bard take cage 1 & 3 and Archon on cage 2. This saves the tank from having to do additional mechanics while picking up and controlling adds, also prevents giving back to said adds. Less people on the mechanic means more dps overall. This job is also easily done by any competent player, I've had everything from Reaver to MM to Inquis handling this mechanic without issue, shouldn't feel pigeon-holed into any one specific role handling this.
    Aye, but it's how my guild handled it and we thought it was easy enough. I think your way sounds a lot better though and it gives the support something to do besides sit there and do rotation.

Also for the raid setup I would say a defiler is not needed, although the boss and adds hit relatively hard, if handled correctly the damage to the tank is very minimal. In fact even with minimal gearing I don't believe there to be a boss in RoF that really warrants a defiler, but if you need the damage reduction a necromancer in this role would provide higher dps and the same mitigation to a 1-tank setup. Unless you feel as a raid leader that ugly is required due to poor personal cd management on the tank/healer behalf.
    Guide's for 0/4 0/5 0/3 people, so Defiler's a pretty solid precautionary measure to handle issues. I'm not saying Defiler is needed, but I also can't say they'll all have solid healers like our guilds, ya know? That UT CD saves lives.

Though I do agree using a Necro if you have solid heals and still need links or dropping defiler completely is best.

I'll edit a guide in a bit with some of the recommendations here.
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Just adding up some things to what has already been said.

Never tried it with 2 tanks as 1 tank is enough, so offtank would only make it a dps loss.
    Necro should be enough, if link is needed. Necro dps isn't that bad on this fight (thanks, cleave).

Fatal current: Stack up in melee (can mark one of the players for this purpose) on the middle line of the road; when you see the "Fatal Current" cast, run to the left, stop when you're off the road. (Failproof way as for some players those aoes are not always drawn...) 1st cage opener would better run to the 1st cage instead, in case the aoe and cages get timed close.

If you have hard time watching poison debuff stacks, just pull an add when you see yellow circle under the further gates (a signal that shark will soon come from there; shark coming indicates that cages will be pretty soon). You can have players enabled "cast on target's target" and select the person who's designated to be pulling adds; not helpful with the target switching rotation but ensures that they're dpsing what is needed (just be careful with sc/... while the add is being pulled, so as to not grab another add with the aoe too).
    Have one dpser designated to interrupt the shark, just in case tank is busy. Kill the add, then the shark. The rythm kinda messes up later in the fight, but it's doable.
    Tank needs to aggro the shark, add can be eating a dpser who pulled it (if healing and dps on the add suffice, which normaly should).

If dps is not snoozing, the add dies usually too soon for debuffs to be worth putting up on it, at least not all.
    First orchestra/defend usually is used after the first fatal current (if the mechanics aren't out of sync, as sometimes happens).

If aoe healer is undergeared and has issues with cage healing (as they come a little bit more frequently than 1min, so the cd you used on the 1st set of cages won't be up for the 2nd), the 2nd set of cages can be covered by puri's flame of life. I even think we used BM with his defensive cds instead of archon on one of our first kills. Enough melee time to make BM work.
    Any aoe healer can deal just fine with this, so just have whomever you can trust, no matter his class. (ye ye, chloro/phystact = more deeps)

We have tank opening the 3rd cage; rogue tank opening both 2nd and 3rd. (Logic: tank does least dps, besides the healer xD) Understandably, if the tank is having issues, follow advice given above.
    In any case, have someone counting the cage openings on TS/etc.

And keep in mind that the setup or organisation is only giving guidelines; you'll rely on people whom you can trust in certain roles the most, and adjust the setup and tactics to that.

I've got nothing to add, but wanted to applaud the effort to put written guides up here for the various raid bosses.

There are a ton of kill videos out there, but I think having it in writing is a great reference for folks trying to make progress on T1 and even for those that may have done it 50 times but haven't had to lead a raid or PUG through.

+ Reply to Thread