+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Isilmur
  • 1 Post By Opzichter

Thread: A guide to Dimension Architecture

Default A guide to Dimension Architecture

Hey guys,
    I wanted to give some ideas for dimension builders everywhere if they wanted some inspiration for the larger dimensions. Feel free to take the ideas to any size though. First, of all you have many dimensions and each dimension has its own feel. Its up to you and your own personal preferance of whether you like it or not.

Egyptian-

Egyptian is quite easy to replicate, using the Brevane Pillars from the Lost City Rep vendor in Eastern Holdings are fairly affordable and can be used en mass to create an Egyptian look, for floor and roof, use large stone tiles. Since the Egyptians did not have advanced architecture, fairly square or rectangular buildings will give them a very nice appearance. It also gives your construct an open feeling, not to mention you dont have to worry about walls or collision if you dont want to, you just have to try to make sure your tiles are fairly flat. Ancient Egyptian Architecture was very colorful, and often incorporated plant life, adding lots of trees, (varying on preferance) can add alot of personality to it. Hanging vines too... when you can find them.

Roman/Greek-

Roman and Greek architecture is fairly similar to Egyptian except that it is an enclosed building with Columns surrounding the exterior of the building. This design would also have to use stone, since there arent many roman or even greek buildings that were wooden that incorporated columns and large architecture. If you are going to make walls and they are not along the X and Z axis in your dimension building make sure you tilt the tiles that will make up the wall before you turn them. The tilting mechanic does not shift with the items change in direction. So it will save a lot of headaches to some of the newer builders out there.

Contemporary-

With contemporary housing i found this to be the easiest as it lacked any curves and most of the material that you would have to buy for them are extremely cheap. One could probably build a fully decked out contemporary house in a large dimension for around 3-4 platinum. varying of course on size. As you can see in the pictures, each contemporary building is sharp, squared and involves simple yet complex designs, for some this may not be aesthetically pleasing. But its a very good way to begin developing your own buildings. Its also fairly easy to build them and you can increase complexity by adding randomly intersecting tiles.

Fantasy Architecture-

Now for unusual ideas, instead of going after Battlestar Galactica, go after a flying castle! or build a castle towering over a ravine (such as in Vengeful Sky, or Shorward Island.) Currently there are no curved stone tiles (that I am aware of) however doing shapes like Octogons will allow you to create towers that don't follow a cubic shape. For flying castles, buying a bunch of pale rocks and setting them in the air at the larges size you can scale them will allow you to create a large floating rock base. from there, its up to you what you want to build on it, some AWESOME resources for flying fortresses are the coffee tables, they have a latticed center which can be used as windows for now.

Some creative ideas for the Brevane pillars is to add sourcestone spheres where the pillar curves near the bottom, this adds lighting and a very unique style, though it does increase your item limit count more so than an occasional lamp or torch, this all depends on the number of pillars you have. If you do plan to pick up some spheres, make sure to check the planar goods vendor first, as sometimes people charge outlandish prices for dimension items.

Building on a cliff adds a unique feel to buildings and also (in most cases) a good vantage point. Its also easier to place items along a cliff than to try to put them in mid air or underwater... (for those undersea architects) Using the outcroppings, (especially fire and water) will allow the cliff (im using Dormant Core for referance right now) to have less of a smooth edge near the water fall and create a more chaotic feel.

I cannot understate BIG trees add some signifigance and age to a dimension, small trees are often young and you can easily walk past without paying much attention to it, but the stone bark trees, (of which I have only one) are so large that if you cant see it on the other side of my dimension your either blind or dont know its actually a tree and not a tower!

And finally stairs can be a problem sometimes, if you dont think that your stairs are right for a certain place, use a slope wood/stone/metal tile, it allows you to ascend but in a flat and usually stylish manner. Though I would not suggest it for great distances though, usually only 1 or 2 tiles at a time because the longer it is, the more unusual it seems!

I will continue Adding different design ideas as I see them, Thank you for reading this. If you have any suggestions please send me a message or post on this thread. Thank you.

(Vikat)-Faeblight
    "Palace of the Fallen Star"

Feel free to draw inspiration from that dimension.

Some resources for pictures or inspiration.
    http://www.riftdimension.com/?page_id=175
    http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info...onToolbox.html
    http://www.riftjunkies.com/2012/11/1...sions-a-guide/
    Last edited by Isilmur; 01-23-2013 at 03:21 PM.

saving for later.

saving for later

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

This link (last one under fantasy builds)
    http://www.arts-wallpapers.com/artwa...s_scotland.jpg

is broken, leads to an error page.

Otherwise, nice guide!
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

I have seen that, (this is my first guide so i didnt know you only had 5 mins to edit the post). I will get that fixed, but there is a work around. click on the URL and just press enter when at the error page, it will send you to the correct place.

Soulwalker

Ouch can you post images by not using external links to random sites please?
    The way to post images on this forum is in the resources stickied at the top of this thread.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-01-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

Dimension Gallery - Browse & search for player created dimensions

Talking Sneak peak !

This is exactly my genre!!!

Im working on a Temple inside Vengefull Sky.... heres a sneak peak!

about 500 items left. i will probable finish it next weekend!

A guide to Dimension Architecture-2015-01-14_003600.jpg

Click here to see Our new Guild Dimension! Halls of Elevation @ Typhiria
    Or here to see Temple of Trials on Foofi@Typhiria

+ Reply to Thread