+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 4.5 - Reaver Guide

Default 4.5 - Reaver Guide

DISCLAIMER:
    I will never claim to have the best spec and rotation. Feel free to experiment as you might find something I overlooked and gain dps.

This guide assumes you are already level 70 and have the final stage Eternal (Or at least the second last stage eternal).

Old Rant
    Spoiler!

New Rant
    I keep hearing complaints about people not having a decent spec to play on Commander Isiel (because group runs a ranged setup). Reaver actually does really well. Dire Corruption alone does a ton of free cleave. You have full mobility and extremely high burst every 21 seconds. There is no reason to play Riftblade at range as Reaver will always come out on top.

Use the two-hander, you are not using Icy Burst!

Champion Variant - Decent damage pre eternal, significantly harder to proc the weapon use Warchanter variant for that
    Spoiler!

Warchanter Variant - High uptime on eternal
    Spoiler!

Rotation:
    Explosive Infestation > Shock Pulse > Dire Blow
    Shadow of Dread > Infestation > Dire Blow
    Viral Stream > Dire Blow
    Ravaging Strike > Ravaging Strike > Ravaging Strike > Dire Blow

- You can move the legendary point from dire blow to dire corruption for more cleave heavy fights.
    - For two target cleave. Manually apply dots to one, shadow of dread the other followed by desecrating blow to refresh all the dot timers. From here follow the rotation replacing dire blow with desecrating blow. Use Dire Corruption Legendary.
    - You can add a third target to the cleave using a similar method. Note: Dots on additional targets will sometimes fall off, this is due to the 2pt finisher in the rotation. You can guarantee 100% up time by adding an extra ability but you will be delaying all your cooldowns each time.

Rotation with Macros:
    EI Macro x2 > Dire Blow
    Inf Macro x2 > Dire Blow
    Viral Stream > Dire Blow
    Inf Macro x3 > Dire Blow

Frequently Asked Questions
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Waseem2k; 03-10-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

Soulwalker

Thank you for your time, energy and ability. I wish Trion employees had that, too.

Danke für deine Zeit, Energie und Können. Ich wünschte, Trion Mitarbeiter hätten das auch.

Rift Disciple

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. I look forward to future posts from you.

@Trion This person deserves some recognition and praise.

Soulwalker

what buffs are you using

Rift Disciple

I was testing that the other day... Swapped over to 11 Temp, 4 WC; got a 50k increase. -- 11 temp is to nab Jolt; free 20power dump every 6 seconds, and WC is both the AP bonus + Deep Breaths.

11Temp / 4 WC would indeed be a gain for better up-time on the eternal if you can manage your power well enough. Viral Stream however requires 40 power. There will be times when you can't cast it and have to find a way to dump some extra power. This results in extra GCDs and a delay on Viral Stream. This is a huge dps loss. I would bring energy potions for these situations.

Soulwalker

Quoting: "....I'm sorry you don't have the time to put in some effort to actually learn your spec. There aren't a lot of us left that theory craft because the old devs decided to cater to the casuals so there have been way too many easy 1 button specs that simply outperform the rest so there was no need...."

You have my undying gratitude. I don't know where I'd be without your selfless contributions. I just truly hope you find it in your heart to continue to supply those of us of only mortal intelligence with the means to achieve even a small fraction of your own astounding accomplishments
    Last edited by Phlayme; 07-14-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Added some macros, have fun!

Soulwalker

Thanks for this. This game has some complicated builds and spells to go with it and you broke it down well for me.

Soulwalker

Thanks for making the effort to post this. I thought my Paragorn waqs ok for the gear ive got on . . . . . just pulling around 200-220K depending on the fight - as per your reaver guide im pulling 300-350 just on the one boss - havent tried a mob yet but cant wait!!

Thank you!

Soulwalker

Hi, thanks for this. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the spec (not being 70 yet isn't helping), so I have a few questions to make sure I understand what I'm playing.

Plague bringer: The idea here seems to be that you make up for the decreased damage by spending less time refreshing dots. However, at high level, we don't use it because it's more efficient to use Shadow of Dread to spread full damage dots and Desecrating Blow to maintain them. Is that right?

Similarly, Rancid Cleave looks like it deals low enough damage, and to only three enemies, that it's never worth using over Infestation. --However, it looks like it's worth using over Ravaging Strike on 2+ targets.-- I did this math on regular Ravaging Strike, not Legendary, so it's entirely possible this is wrong -- will check when I get home.

Legendary Viral Stream (which I don't have access to yet) looks like it will grant a total of 12 attack points over the duration. However, it also looks like it'll do approximately a bajillion damage because it ticks so fast. In that case, we don't want to clip any ticks for any reason, correct?

For off-souls, I wonder why not 11 Tempest/4 Champion (or 10 Tempest/5 Champion -- you get +2% strength from the final point either way), filling out Enhanced Power in place of Take No Prisoners. It looks like we're choosing between +2% finisher damage, or +2% non-physical damage, and all of our finishers are non-physical (along with all of our dots, our builders, and everything else but Shock Pulse). Is there something high-level that I don't know about that changes this picture?

Again, thanks for all the information, and I'm sorry if any of these questions become obvious at max level.

Post-home edits:

Re: Rancid Cleave, it looks like the damage is higher on 2+ targets as long as you don't let Legendary Tactics fall off, but again, I don't have an eternal weapon.

Since Ravaging Blow applies Legendary Tactics, I'm not honestly sure why Shock Pulse is in the rotation. I guess I can see it in the opener, but Shadow Strike should make Ravaging Blow do a ton more damage, and they have the same 35m range.
    Last edited by Armond436; 09-22-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Armond436 View Post
    Plague bringer: The idea here seems to be that you make up for the decreased damage by spending less time refreshing dots. However, at high level, we don't use it because it's more efficient to use Shadow of Dread to spread full damage dots and Desecrating Blow to maintain them. Is that right?
    You do not use Plague Bringer at all, unless you're going to be AoEing 3+ targets. At lower levels, you would turn PB on and then cast each of your 4 dots once (PB will spread them, so no need to do 4 for each target). - With Spetic Wounds, from there all the rest of the refreshes would be from Desecrating Blow. You'd only need to recast them, if there were more mobs, and the ones yer dots were on died. Once you have access to SoD, you will almost never need to manually refresh yer dots. Having PB active and then using SoD will still spread them all in aoe fashion just as with manual casts. And yes... 1gcd to cast 4 abilities, is a heck of a lot better than 4gcds for 4 abilities. Lets you use those 3gcds for some other abilities for extra dmg.

Similarly, Rancid Cleave looks like it deals low enough damage, and to only three enemies, that it's never worth using over Infestation. --However, it looks like it's worth using over Ravaging Strike on 2+ targets.-- I did this math on regular Ravaging Strike, not Legendary, so it's entirely possible this is wrong -- will check when I get home.
    Rancid cleave is likewise for AoEing scenarios. Infestation/Explosive Infestation have 30sec CD's (gets reduced with perks), they cannot be used frequently... RC can. As long as you have 3 targets to hit, it's a viable filler in place of ravaging strike.

Legendary Viral Stream (which I don't have access to yet) looks like it will grant a total of 12 attack points over the duration. However, it also looks like it'll do approximately a bajillion damage because it ticks so fast. In that case, we don't want to clip any ticks for any reason, correct?
    The Legendary version is still the same length of time, 3sec, and there's no possible way to make use of the extra AP even if you wanted to. Clipping it, or not, you're stuck with 3AP max. - But No, you do not want to clip legendary viral stream in any capacity. It single-handedly does upwards of 1/3rd of yer dps

For off-souls, I wonder why not 11 Tempest/4 Champion (or 10 Tempest/5 Champion -- you get +2% strength from the final point either way), filling out Enhanced Power in place of Take No Prisoners. It looks like we're choosing between +2% finisher damage, or +2% non-physical damage, and all of our finishers are non-physical (along with all of our dots, our builders, and everything else but Shock Pulse). Is there something high-level that I don't know about that changes this picture?
    Reaver already gets %dmg increase for non-phys attacks in it's on tree. These values are multiplicative with each other... The more of them you have, the more diminishing returns. You won't notice a huge difference swapping them around, but it's there.

Since Ravaging Blow applies Legendary Tactics, I'm not honestly sure why Shock Pulse is in the rotation. I guess I can see it in the opener, but Shadow Strike should make Ravaging Blow do a ton more damage, and they have the same 35m range.
    You are limited on how many legendaries you can take (max of 3 in any one soul), based on how many points you have invested into it. There is no legendary ravaging in this guide here. That is why shock pulse is in the rotation; that's where the tactics buff is coming from.
    Last edited by Xethx; 09-23-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the detailed responses!

11 Tempest might be a gain if you take Jolt. This is only if you have the Eternal though. Apart from that, I tested many specs and 8 Temp / 7 Champ always came out ahead. As it's been mentioned, the non-phys talents don't stack well. The only reason I even went 8 into Tempest was just to get Empower.

Cleave in this spec isn't all that great. Plague Bringer works when there are 3 targets at most. The way the abilities work is they will hit a primary target and two random nearby targets. You will end up casting dots on one set and then desecrating on another two which won't refresh the dots on the original two. Overall your extra dots will be down for a big part of the rotation block and this is a huge dps loss.

Your best bet is to do a single target rotation without Plague Bringer. If you need a little extra cleave, you can swap Legendary Dire Blow with Legendary Dire Corruption. If you need a lot of cleave then Riftblade is your best option or you can try Tempest if you have to be at range. I don't know of many encounters that need a lot of ranged cleave. Rogues usually have it covered.
    Last edited by Waseem2k; 09-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Soulwalker

you show the rotation as "Shadow of Dread > Infestation > Dire Blow", but that macro has Infestation first then Shadow of Dread.
    was that intentional. does it matter what order or not ?

Thanks for the guide. I am enjoying this build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast