+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 4.0 Tempest DPS Guide

Default 4.1 Tempest DPS Guide

Tempest is one of the Warrior ranged DPS souls. It has significant burst damage, solid AOE damage, and is very mobile for a ranged soul.

Point Spread:
    61 Tempest/15 Reaver/0 Warlord

Masteries:
    61: Resonating Strikes is mandatory because Tempest needs the cost reduction.
    62: None affect DPS. Soul Regeneration is the best for survival.
    63: Energy Reserves as Tempest can easily power starve.
    64: Precision Strikes is the highest DPS and it makes your DOTs stronger.
    65: Power Manipulation is the best for ST DPS. If you need moreAOE, you can grab Power Variation and just use it on cooldown.

Alternatives:
    If you have the Legendary Weapon, swap your lvl61 and lvl63 masteries to Enduring Survival and Runner's Training to keep your power low for the proc.

Legendaries:
    Skyfall - Great synergy with legendary Double Pulse. Stronger than Chain Pulse in AOE.
    Double Pulse - Great synergy with legendary Skyfall.
    Wavelength - Absolutely fantastic. Shortens the rotation so it's more Charged Pulse and less filler.
    Ravaging Strike - Great ability that does not consume Arc stacks.
    Sergeant's Order - Huge damage spike during Wavelength.

Synergy Crystal:
    Martial Crystal

Gear & Stats:
    Like all specs, you will want to get as much Crit Power as you can until you reach the softcap of 40%.
    After that, you'll want to build up your Strength and Attack Power and Physical Crit.

Buffs:
    Empower
    Focused Fire
    Enhanced Conductivity
    Electromagnetic Shield or Close Training (no DPS difference, just defensive preference)
    Binding of Affliction [reaver ability]

Important Abilities:
    Spoiler!

Rotations:
    picture version
    (remember: every time you cast charged pulse, you also need to cast double pulse)

Rotation:
    Spoiler!

Opener:
    Spoiler!

Ability Notes:

Charged Pulse - During wavelength (your Cooldown block) just spam this until it goes on cooldown, this means wavelength is over. Wavelength will come back off cooldown slightly before this rotation casts it. This is intentional because this rotation gives you more Charged Pulses per minute.

Double Pulse - There is no harm to macroing this to every button on your bars, it is important to always use this ability right after you cast Charged Pulse.

Arc - Legendary Skyfall has weakened the power of this ability. It is now only beneficial to use Arc when paired with exactly Charged Pulse, Delayed Pulse, and Double Pulse.

Don't forget to use Power Manipulation every 30s!

AOE 'Rotation':
    (Tempest already has excellent free cleave (especially during Wavelength) so you may not need to alter the rotation at all for many cleave scenarios)

But if you still need more AOE:
    - Any instance of Electricity Cascade or Arc can be replaced with Skyfall.
    - Any instance of Lightning Torrent can be replaced with Storm Torrent.
    - Soul Sickness can be replaced with Electricity Blast.

Macros:
    Cooldowns:
    Spoiler!

Just mash this until charged pulse has cast time again and you'll do your entire CD block.

Charged Pulse:
    Spoiler!

Skyfall:
    Spoiler!

Electricty Cascade:
    Spoiler!

Makes sure you never miss a cast of Double Pulse.

Conclusion:
    Personally, I just enjoy Tempest as a soul, but it is also a very strong option for any Ranged DPS needs, putting up reliable numbers for any circumstance.
    As always, if you questions, please let me know.

Dummy Foundry Parse:
    Last edited by SecondBass; 04-06-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: 4.1
    The cockroaches won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records
    4.1 Champion 4.1 Overlord 4.1 Riftblade 4.1 Reaver 4.1 Tempest 4.1 Warpest
    3.7 Beastmaster 3.7 Liberator 3.7 Paladin 3.7 Void Knight

Thanks for the guide updates.
    Ghar Station
    Ghar Station Discord
    Mistakes Were Made - Guild
    New to rift? Get free stuff! Go here: http://bit.ly/2jvhGTg Or enter this: CEYE39PQRW2GP79FENQ9

Have parsed tempest before the EU shards went down, but I was at around 152k iirc. I don't think I did any mistakes in the rotation. Using Fluid Movements.
    Using 51tp/25rv I am able to do 160k with horrible crit rates. Should scale even better with decent gear (crit and crit power). Still not a reaver though.

If someone's interested I could reboot my guide on it, but for now a short version here:

Spec: 51tp/25rv/0pg
    Legendaries: LT, SF, DP, RS, Swift Strike
    Opener: DC
    Rotation:
    LT > Arc
    RS > Swift Strike > Charged > (DP) SF
    NW > Soul Sickness > Inf

LT > Arc
    NW > Soul Sickness > DC

Edit: Current rotation doesn't use Dual Pulse, 48 tempest would be enough. Also not sure if Deliberate Strikes is worth it. Too lazy to parse right now.

Edit2: 165k with slighty better crit luck on charged (and 0% on Infestation) and 48tp/25rv/3pg.
    Last edited by dunkelst; 11-18-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkelst View Post
    Have parsed tempest before the EU shards went down, but I was at around 152k iirc. I don't think I did any mistakes in the rotation. Using Fluid Movements.
    Using 51tp/25rv I am able to do 160k with horrible crit rates. Should scale even better with decent gear (crit and crit power). Still not a reaver though.

If someone's interested I could reboot my guide on it, but for now a short version here:

Rotation:
    LT > Arc
    NW > Soul Sickness > Inf

LT > Arc
    NW > Soul Sickness > DC
    Swift Strike doesn't trigger Arc? That's surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    Swift Strike doesn't trigger Arc? That's surprising.
    It's not ranged.
    The cockroaches won.
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records

Rotation:
    LT > Arc
    NW > Soul Sickness > Inf

LT > Arc
    NW > Soul Sickness > DC

Edit: Current rotation doesn't use Dual Pulse, 48 tempest would be enough. Also not sure if Deliberate Strikes is worth it. Too lazy to parse right now.

Edit2: 165k with slighty better crit luck on charged (and 0% on Infestation) and 48tp/25rv/3pg.
    Oh god I wiped that build from my memory.

I parsed it out before I saw your switch to 48 (which I agree with).

Same ballpark, but you're now using a melee range ability, so that's less than ideal.

There's definitely more optimizing to do such as:
    -precision would be better even if you clip the DOTs at 15s
    -ravaging strike could be refreshed less often
    -try and get delayed pulse in the mix, it's a great ability.

Definitely some promising stuff here, but if you're gonna play a ranged spec with melee abilities, might as well play reaver unfortunately.
    The cockroaches won.

Currently we have to compare everything to reaver and nothing will be viable until reaver is nerfed (or everything else is buffed).

I agree with precision strikes, I just didn't want to test it yesterday.
    Less ravaging strike is possible, but you cannot use pulses and moving ravaging strike and its replacement until after the SF could result in DoTs not running for Infestation.
    It's a tight rotation, so I'm not sure how to add delayed anywhere, especially with legendary LT limiting when it can be used.

I think this spec would excell with higher crit and crit power. If raids are designed similar to NMT, standing in melee range shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Currently we have to compare everything to reaver and nothing will be viable until reaver is nerfed (or everything else is buffed).

I agree with precision strikes, I just didn't want to test it yesterday.
    Less ravaging strike is possible, but you cannot use pulses and moving ravaging strike and its replacement until after the SF could result in DoTs not running for Infestation.
    It's a tight rotation, so I'm not sure how to add delayed anywhere, especially with legendary LT limiting when it can be used.

I think this spec would excell with higher crit and crit power. If raids are designed similar to NMT, standing in melee range shouldn't be too big of a problem.
    You can just alternate Ravaging Strike & Delayed Pulse. Delayed won't consume LT stacks until it does damage (which is after CP consumes the stacks) [just like arc stacks].
    sidenote: Delayed doesn't benefit from LT even though it consumes it so I reported that.

And remember that with precision, there's a lot more wiggle room with Infestation timing.

Well, every spec excels with higher crit + CP. This spec, like all LT variants, is incredibly dependant on charged pulse critting.

60% crit on Charged Pulse.
    but also 48 temp, precision strikes, alternating delayed.

Oh and if reaver gets nerfed or everything else gets buffed, reaver hybrids will probably get knocked down a peg as well.
    Last edited by SecondBass; 11-19-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    The cockroaches won.

Guide updates:
    -Slight Rotation change
    -Elaborated on AOE

Didn't realize how much Arc sucks on live, ty to Darkdaemon for pointing that out.

The PTS changes are trying to put all souls at approximately even footing. This means Tempest got a serious numbers buff, but very little mechanical changes (except to L shock pulse, but that's for riftblade to cry over).

I'll try to remember to update the parse once changes get locked in, but currently it is strong.

Didn't play with 51/25 at all, but Wavelength is getting a giant buff, so unlikely that it is competitive.
    The cockroaches won.

Guide Updates:
    -Tighter rotation
    -Faster opener

Noticed the prior rotation was delaying charged pulse a bit through the rotation so I've cut that down.

Similarly with the opener, charged pulse should line up perfectly with raid CDs dropping.
    The cockroaches won.

wl block - cp/dp(hard) - ec - ravaging - dual - sky - lt - sky - dc - cp/dp - ss - sky - del - dual - ec - lt - arc - ravaging - wl block

This is what I was doing today, same opener as you. live gear w/ fragment cape, and no fragments. Very suttle changes, and no 2 point finishers. Not saying its better, just posting my findings.

4.0 Tempest DPS Guide-2017-02-19_220657.jpg
    4.0 Tempest DPS Guide-tempbreakdown.jpg
    *Fancy signature graphics followed by fancy looking Fonts with all the colors*
    BISCULTS@WOLFSBANE, GRAYSKULL Warrior lead and life coach

"I'll give YOU a punishing blow" - DarkDaemon 2016
    "If you're close to a guy, its a ok to do a little touching" - DarkDaemon 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitsyum View Post
    wl block - cp/dp(hard) - ec - ravaging - dual - sky - lt - sky - dc - cp/dp - ss - sky - del - dual - ec - lt - arc - ravaging - wl block

This is what I was doing today, same opener as you. live gear w/ fragment cape, and no fragments. Very suttle changes, and no 2 point finishers. Not saying its better, just posting my findings.

Attachment 30654
    Attachment 30655
    Not hard casting CP/DP before wavelength is a guaranteed DPS loss (it's fewer CPs per minute)

Arc is also worse than skyfall here because it's not boosting (CP + DP + delayed) so switch that

So if you change those things it'll run one second longer which may not translate well to live.

But it doesn't clip either EC or LT and gets the 3pt skyfall.

However all of these things are super minor so the only real difference is the length, so one will probably translate better through lag, otherwise any differences won't be noticeable in real usage.

I guess I have to post my garbage stats to explain why my numbers suck:
    The cockroaches won.

is there a idiot version with macros that fall in place one after another?

Quote Originally Posted by clautodor View Post
    A number of the abilities have no Cool Down and are instant cast, so they'll need to be managed directly.
    Dimples Warrior Tank * If she flashes her dimples at you, it may cause pleasurable blindness.
    Dweia Rogue Tank * Nothing seems to express happiness quite as much as purring.
    Laurie Cleric Tank * Life without Love, is like chocolate cake made without sugar.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Unknown

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by clautodor View Post
    Second has a 1 button macro that does insane dps. Idk if he'll make a guide for it for 4.1 though
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast