+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 4.0 Champion DPS Guide

Default 4.1 Champion DPS Guide

Champion is the Warrior area-of-effect (AOE) damage soul. It excels at sustaining high DPS to large groups of enemies. It also has impeccable single-target DPS (among other AOE souls) and provides the important crit debuff to the raid.

Point Spread:
    61 Champion/10 Warlord/5 Warchanter

Masteries:
    61: I prefer Dying Breath to make sure Berserker never wears off, but Resonating Strikes is viable if you want to stun a group of adds (careful: hard to time the stun)
    62: None impact DPS. Soul Regeneration is typically the most effective for staying alive.
    63: Champ can have power issues when it uses Breaking Blow, so I like Energy Reserves, but take Runner's Training if you need the mobility (dead DPS is no DPS!)
    64: Precision Strikes is the highest DPS.
    65: Power Variation is incredibly strong for AOE damage.

Legendaries (and why):
    Punishing Blow - While you are doing your normal AOE rotation, you'll deal 125% more damage to your primary target, making your ST DPS comparable to many pure ST souls.
    Thunderous Strike - Double the effectiveness for (more than) twice the duration. yes please.
    Dominating Bearing - It is very difficult to run out of stacks, so this is effectively a 30% to all AOE abilities (and it's in the active buff stack!)
    Breaking Blow - Incredible synergy with death blossom, especially since Champion has no power concerns.
    Seasoned Strike - With the nerf to shock pulse, this is now the best 0pt builder for AOEing.

Legendary Alternatives:
    Bladefury (replacing Thunderous Strike) - Allows even more ST DPS, but sacrifices AOE output, so I opt to not take it.

Synergy Crystal:
    Brutish

Gear & Stats:
    Like all specs, you will want to get as much Crit Power as you can until you reach the softcap of 40%.
    After that, you'll want to build up your Strength and Attack Power.
    Physical Crit is also worth getting, but is less important than the above three stats.

Buffs:
    Dominating Bearing (legendary)
    Shared Suffering
    Recovery Posture (optional, doesn't impact DPS) [warlord ability]

Important Abilities:

Rotations:

AOE Rotation:
    Spoiler!

Opener:
    Spoiler!

Important Sections:

Death Blossom > Punishing Blow > Breaking Blow - In order to maxmize DPS, always cast Breaking Blow on a DIFFERENT target than the one you cast Punishing Blow on. This is because Punishing Blow's debuff boosts Death Blossom hits, but not the initial Breaking Blow hit.

Seasoned Strike > Savage Sweep - Both of these will be refreshed early, but this is still a gain because it is important to keep them up 100% of the time.

Mark of Extermination - Use this whenever a new target spawns and refresh it every minute. Ideally, refresh it away from using Breaking Blow (due to power concerns), but otherwise there is little harm in refreshing it early. (spamming it will starve your power and eat unnecessary stacks of Dominating Bearing, but using it every 30s or even 15s is completely fine)
    Unfortunately, only one mark can be active on a target, no matter how many champions are attacking it. This is the best of the three, so it is important to use this one, so that everyone always gets the crit debuff.

Single-Target Rotation:
    As long as there are multiple targets, the above rotation is the strongest ST rotation.
    If there is a single target for a prolonged period:
    1) rethink using Champion, there are better ST options
    2) replace the Death Blossom > Punishing Blow sections above with Punishing Blow > Decisive Strike
    3) Use Breaking Blow whenever you have more than 70 power, its timing is not important if you are not using Death Blossom
    4) Respec your legendaries and pickup Legendary Bladefury.

Your new ST rotation would look something like this:
    Spoiler!

Probably not the best rotation, but again, there are better full ST options.

Conclusion:
    Currently, Champion is incredibly, incredibly strong. Even if it weren't, Champ is effective for its purpose and is always worth learning.
    As always, if you have questions, let me know.

Dummy Foundry Parse:

Left image is the overall damage breakdown, right image is the damage breakdown across all eight targets.
    Last edited by SecondBass; 04-14-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: 4.1
    The cockroaches won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records
    4.1 Champion 4.1 Overlord 4.1 Riftblade 4.1 Reaver 4.1 Tempest 4.1 Warpest
    3.7 Beastmaster 3.7 Liberator 3.7 Paladin 3.7 Void Knight

+1

/tenchar

Its good to point out that Champion does highest ST dps if there are 2+ targets present cuz of Death Blossom. For me the difference was around 20k on the main target.

It's also important to know that 1 target spec uses legendary Bladefury instead of Thunderous Strike. If there is a fight with short periods of many adds legendary Bladefury is a much better choice. Example: Zilas in HK. Most adds didn't live long enough to get 2 stacks of Thunderous Strike + good starting ST dps was very desired.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sahtiar the Green Knight - Khalim'na

Rift Chaser

Brilliant guide! Thanks. Will give this a go once i hit 70
    <Harshmallows> Gelidra shard

Kuurgan - Level 65 Warrior
    Macleodd - Level 65 Mage
    Ramirezz - Level 65 Rogue

Great job, this build look awesome!

For anyone leveling 65-70, the rotation will not work as stated because it relies on the Breaking Blow Legendary which removes the Attack Point requirement. However, this is a great multi-purpose leveling build for 4.0 content. Don't be turned away by the rotation, you won't need to use it while questing, it's primarily for endgame content.
    Last edited by BigTerj; 11-17-2016 at 04:57 AM.
    Bigterj - <Grievance> - Wolfsbane

Shadowlander

so this is a non macro build? just curious little confused. been gone for to long

Shadowlander

might you be able to post a video of how to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Zhakiav View Post
    so this is a non macro build? just curious little confused. been gone for to long
    It's a fixed rotation, meaning that you use the abilities above in the given order and you'll do top DPS.

There are no macros that are necessary, but if you want to save buttons, at the cost of flexiblity, you can try and macro as much as you want.

Maybe macro Thunderous Strike > Disruptive Strike > Titan's Strike since that's part of the rotation.

Maybe macro Death Blossom > Punishing Blow.

Macros are really up to personal preference that let you perform the spec how you want to.

No macro I can provide will help you learn the spec. You will perform better if you make your own macros, since you know yourself better than I do.
    Last edited by SecondBass; 11-17-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: now with 100% less warlord
    The cockroaches won.
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBass View Post
    Thunderous Strike > Decisive Strike > Titan's Strike
    You've been playing too much WL

I've been using few macros for champion and I like to put
    -Disruptive Strike together with Mighty Blow

and finisher macro works really well if you put
    -Thunderous Strike, Titan Strike, Death Blossom, Chains of Death and Bladefury together.

Its also important to have abilities on separate buttons if you wanna save big burst cooldowns for later - when many adds spawn. This was shown to be crucial for fight like Zilas. I'm using ''safe'' macro with only
    -Thunderous Strike, Titan Strike and Bladefury in it.
    Sahtiar the Green Knight - Khalim'na

guide updated:
    -swapped lvl64 mastery
    -updated parse to reflect this

GUESS WHAT GUYS CHAMP USES SHOCK PULSE TOO HOW FUN IS THAT
    The cockroaches won.

Soulwalker

Default You've been playing too much WL

Thank you SecondBass for taking the time to make several warrior guides for the 4.0 expansion. and Sahtiaro for the positive feedback and suggestions on macros. I understand that not macroing skills helps you learn the build more precisely, however due to a physical handicap I do always have the luxury of not macroing. I am in the process of trying to learn the Champion build you posted. I have taken each one of the skills separately, read them and tried to macro a couple of the other skills to make it easier for me to reach. 10 to 12 keys is more than I can do but I would really like to learn it. Would you have a suggestion?

Soulwalker

Default Still working on build almost have it ?

I am new 70 with green essences and my cit power is only at 15% but i am getting sustained 563K to 638k dps Is this on par?

Soulwalker

Default Rotation

Your rotation has breaking blow being used after cornered beast. If this is correct then you are using Thunderous Strike with only 1 attack point. Which means you are not getting maximum benefit from Thunderous Strike. In addition you only get an attack point returned to you if you are using a 3 attack point finisher. Which means then Titan's Strike is only using 2 attack points. Your rotation seems to be flawed. Not to mention at one point you are using 3 consecutive finishers. Is this correct?

The items in bold are finishers.

Thunderous Strike > Disruptive Strike > Titan's Strike >
    Shock Pulse > Savage Sweep >
    Chains of Death > Disruptive Strike > Bladefury >
    Cornered Beast (full channel) >

Death Blossom > Punishing Blow > (Proper Timing) Breaking Blow
    Breaking Blow

Chains of Death > Power Variation (full channel) >

Death Blossom > Punishing Blow > Breaking Blow
    Breaking Blow >
    Last edited by Axtor; 12-15-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axtor View Post
    Your rotation has breaking blow being used after cornered beast. If this is correct then you are using Thunderous Strike with only 1 attack point. Which means you are not getting maximum benefit from Thunderous Strike. In addition you only get an attack point returned to you if you are using a 3 attack point finisher. Which means then Titan's Strike is only using 2 attack points. Your rotation seems to be flawed. Not to mention at one point you are using 3 consecutive finishers. Is this correct?

The items in bold are finishers.

Chains of Death > Disruptive Strike > Bladefury >

Death Blossom > Punishing Blow > (Proper Timing) Breaking Blow
    Breaking Blow

Chains of Death > Power Variation (full channel) >

Death Blossom > Punishing Blow > Breaking Blow
    Breaking Blow >
    I'm yelling this at you but I'm really yelling at so many people because it applies to so many questions that are asked here:
    PLAY THE SPEC BEFORE YOU SAY IT DOESN'T WORK

If you read your abilities, you'll see that legendary Breaking Blow doesn't consume attack points.
    So you will do Thunderous at 3 AP so everything is smooth sailing.
    Punishing Blow is used at only 1 AP because it's being used just for the debuff and trying to get a 3pt version without using any other ST attacks delays the rotation far too much.
    The cockroaches won.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast