+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By SecondBass

Thread: 3.7 Paladin Guide

Default 3.7 Paladin Guide

Paladin is one of Warrior's two tanking souls. Its strength as a tank soul lies in its ability to protect the entire raid as well as its strong ability to group up enemies.

The most recent buffs have made Paladin an incredibly potent tank, so people who haven't bothered with pally so far should definitely check it out.

*This guide will focus on the specifics of tanking as a Paladin. If you would like further information about tanking as a role, please read my void knight guide here*

Point Spread:
    61 Paladin/15 Void Knight/0 Tempest

61 Paladin/ 15 Void Knight/0 Tempest (different point spread I swear)
    This will be better mitigation if you are going to be blocking frequently. This let's you put up Accord of Resilience, Shield of the Vengeful, and Shield of the Chosen instead of just Shield of the Hero and Shield of the Vengeful.

The third soul provides no benefit to survivability, only utility, so it is flexible.
    Tempest provides 30m range and the highest DPS
    Reaver provides 30m range if you don't own Tempest.
    Warlord provides an additional pull ability.

Mastery Alternatives:
    62: Protective Aura is a viable option. You lose slight self survivability and some range, but you gain a slight boost to raid survivability.

Synergy Crystal:
    Protector’s Crystal

Gear & Stats:
    Tanks have very different itemization than healers or damage dealers. Tanks have different tertiary stats, meaning that physical crit, ability power, and crit power are useless to tanks. Tank gear has block, dodge, or guard on it.
    It is very important to reach 10% guard for the content you are trying to tank. (you can see what your guard % is for a given content by hovering over the number on your character sheet) 10% of your strength is also added to your guard.
    After you reach that threshold, you want to get as much endurance as you can. Block and dodge are fairly worthless so don’t worry about them.

Buffs:
    Spoiler!

Important Abilities:
    Spoiler!

Playstyle:
    *Threat and Survivability are not exclusive, you need to have both to be a good tank*

Light's Shield:
    This is the new Paladin mechanic. Taking or *dealing damage* has a chance to grant you a stack. You can expend these stacks on either damaging abilities or some of your defensive cooldowns. You will usually have more than enough of them to go around, but always keep an eye on them just in case.

In addition, stacks of Light's Shield also have a chance to be generated when you use most Paladin damaging abilities. This let's you use Sweeping Strike pre-pull to generate stacks as well as almost guaranteeing you'll have enough stacks to use all of your abilities in combat.

*I do not have any confirmation on what exactly triggers Light's Shield (besides taking damage), but using any ability seems to have a chance to gain a stack.

Threat:
    You will want to keep Light's Decree active on your target. You will want to place it on the enemy least likely to die so that it lasts the full duration. You should then continue to attack this target to get the most benefit from it.

In single target situations Pacifying Strike x3 > Light's Benediction will be your usual rotation, making sure to refresh Light's Decree when it becomes available.

When you have excess stacks of Light's Shield you can also use Retaliation > Light's Vengeance > Light's Reprisal to generate extra threat.

Righteous Charge also deals significant damage (and therefore threat). If you jump slightly backwards you can usually cast it without having to leave melee range. (REMEMBER that moving the boss erratically is not worth the DPS gain!)

In AOE situations you should use Purify Land (BE CAREFUL to not taunt any enemies you aren't supposed to!), Sweeping Strike, and Vengeful Decree to generate large amounts of AOE threat. Otherwise just use your ST rotation on your Light's Decree target to continue generating AOE threat.
    Remember that Purify Land, Call of the Divine, and Judgment are all AOE taunts!

Passive Survivability:
    Pacifying Strike and Light's Benediction both provide passive mitigation on use. As long as you continue to use them regularly, you'll gain an extra 10% mitigation.

Use Retaliation when it is available as well as Aggressive Block to improve your blocking abilities. While block is not that important, on fights with lots of chances to block, these can improve your survivability greatly and have guaranteed up-time.

Active Survivability:
    This is what separated good tanks from the rest!

Touch of Life - This is your most reactive cooldown. All overhealing is lost, so make sure you are damaged before using it. That said, don't die while you're waiting to get the most benefit from it. Using it around 50% health is usually the best time to use it (mileage may vary).

Aegis of the Light & Shield Defense - These abilities must be used strictly pro-actively or they will be useless. Use these when you anticipate heavy damage (boss spellcasts, add spawns, healer is distracted etc.). The cooldown on Aegis of the Light is very short, so you can often line it up to specifically mitigate one certain mechanic per fight as it will always be available for it (e.g. Searing Breath on Fyragnos[Comet of Ahnket], Rapid Strikes on Lady Envy[Mind of Madness])

Light's Protection - This is fairly useless due to the meta of shielding, but it is still useful to boost the underwhelming healing of Purifier. This ability becomes very useful in fights without dedicating tank healing (e.g. Hericius[Comet of Ahnket]) because raid healers primarily do healing, not shielding.

Sanctuary - THIS IS A STATIONARY CHANNEL. If you move, the effect ends. While it is active, it is basically a Shield Defense on everyone in the bubble (you will be effected too if you are in the bubble) so you can use it to mitigate raid damage, or if necessary, as a personal cooldown to save just yourself.

Wall of Light - THIS IS A MOBILE CHANNEL. You can run around while you channel it without ending it. Unlike sanctuary, you do not get the mitigation from this ability, only your allies will.

Power Variation - a 3s channel that will heal you for 150% of your health. It doesn’t do any healing until 1s into the cast, so you’ll get better results using it proactively. You can also cancel it by using other abilities so be careful.

Amnesty - This can’t be used on yourself, but it will save an ally. Some fights have mechanics that specifically require you to use this ability on a specific ally (e.g. Envy’s Focus on Lady Envy[Mind of Madness], Petrifying Gaze on Shockbite[Sea of Ladon])

Opener:
    Purify Land > Righteous Charge will generate a lot of threat right off the bat.
    Then do Light's Decree > Light's Benediction > Pacifying Strike to get your mitigation up quickly while still generating significant threat. Mash your reactive abilities as well for more threat.

This will work in both ST and AOE openers, so just enter the corresponding rotation after you get your buffs rolling.

Aggressive Block generates very little threat, so do NOT use it until you are sure you have threat.

Interacting With Other Tanks:
    Be careful AOEing as Judgment, Purify Land, and Call of the Divine are all taunts and you can accidentally taunt something off of another tank that you are not supposed to be tanking.

Macros:

ST builder:
    Spoiler!

This will just cast a basic builder as long as the target is within 30m of you.

Light's Shield Damage:
    Spoiler!

One button to spend your excess light's shield stacks on. Retaliation is the most important as it improves mitigation, the other two are just damage. Don't worry about using Light's Reprisal in ST scenarios, it's just free damage.

Purify Land:
    Spoiler!

Lets you quickly cast Purify Land centered at the target's location.

Amnesty:
    Spoiler!

Lets you quickly cast Amnesty on an ally.

Call of the Divine:
    Spoiler!

Lets you quickly cast Call of the Divine centered at the target's location.

Sanctuary:
    Spoiler!

This will drop the Sanctuary bubble on top of you. (you won't actually change targets, it's just how the macro system works) [using the @mouseoverui modifier was not working for me sometimes, I'm curious what other people are using for their macros]

Power Variation:
    Spoiler!

Forces Power Variation to heal you instead of doing one of its other effects.

FAQ:

Why don’t you mention some abilities you have available?
    Paladin has many abilities that aren’t useful. (Light's Blessing and Light's Balm are not worth the GCD) The additional abilities from Void Knight are also not particularly useful and Interfere shares a cooldown with Spark so it isn’t useable.

I don't have Light's Shield stacks when I need them, what do I do?
    Just don't use them on Light's Reprisal/Vengeance. If you think you are gonna need your stacks, just don't use these abilities (refreshing the buff from Retaliation is still worthwhile).

Conclusion:
    Tanking is very different from the other roles, and will take longer to learn. It can be challenging but if you chose to be a Warrior you probably had some interest in tanking, so it’s time to learn.

As always, constructive feedback is always appreciated.
    If you have any questions, you can ask them here or find me in-game.
    Last edited by SecondBass; 11-09-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: who even knows anymore
    The cockroaches won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records
    4.1 Champion 4.1 Overlord 4.1 Riftblade 4.1 Reaver 4.1 Tempest 4.1 Warpest
    3.7 Beastmaster 3.7 Liberator 3.7 Paladin 3.7 Void Knight

Nice guide.

Just one usefull trick I think.

Using this template http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#4...GFlaBh0/V|TIXM you can stack both "Shield of the Chosen" and "Shield of the Vengeful" because you replace "Shield of the Hero" with "Accord of Resilience" in the Void Knight tree. You end up winning 5% block but losing 2% armor. (irrelevant at my gear, it's 0,27% phys mitigation...) ((T3.5 weapon + full gold T3))

It's up to you.
    Last edited by Badd; 08-11-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: my english always needs editing :)
    Badd@Brisesol - 9/9 MoM - CoA 6/6 HM

Quote Originally Posted by Badd View Post
    Nice guide.

Just one usefull trick I think.

Using this template http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#4...GFlaBh0/V|TIXM you can stack both "Shield of the Chosen" and "Shield of the Vengeful" because you replace "Shield of the Hero" with "Accord of Resilience" in the Void Knight tree. You end up winning 5% block but losing 2% armor. (irrelevant at my gear, it's 0,27% phys mitigation...) ((T3.5 weapon + full gold T3))

It's up to you.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If pally gets changed so that increasing block interacts with increasing light's shield proc rate, this is the definitely the way to go, but I'm still meh on block. I'll add it in though.
    The cockroaches won.
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBass View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If pally gets changed so that increasing block interacts with increasing light's shield proc rate, this is the definitely the way to go, but I'm still meh on block. I'll add it in though.
    Well I agree this is not wonderfull but since Block can influence positively Martial Shield, Agressive Guardian, Balance of Power, Brutal Response and Unyielding Defense to trade +5% block for free is pretty fair. (by free i mean not even 0.3 phys mit) but I agree with you that in the end block sucks, especially when many bosses are not even blockable!

PS: Apparently the teleport is bug and can grab absolutly everything!
    Last edited by Badd; 08-11-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    Badd@Brisesol - 9/9 MoM - CoA 6/6 HM

Can confirm. I hope it doesn't change XD
    Last edited by Redfoxx; 08-12-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Should also mention that you can pre-load stacks of Light's Shield before the pull using Sweeping Strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Byaku View Post
    Should also mention that you can pre-load stacks of Light's Shield before the pull using Sweeping Strike.
    Along with the universal pulling fun, I believe this is being looked into as this was not intended behavior. If it stays after this week's hotfix I'll throw it in, but I'm expecting it to get removed at some point.
    The cockroaches won.

Alright, bonus stack generation didn't get patched out so I added it in.

I also changed my Sanctuary macro so it'll throw it on your mouseoverui target.

RIP turret pulling.
    The cockroaches won.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBass View Post
    RIP turret pulling.
    Dammit Vladd, you never let us have fun! >.<
    Last edited by Waseem2k; 08-17-2016 at 11:00 AM.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

Should probably slip into your guide that Sanctuary and Wall of light can both be interrupted by silence, stun and any knockbacks which wastes both cooldowns so you just have to be aware of mechanics and time them well.

Thanks for the write up!
    Last edited by alexanderthegreat; 08-22-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    Cincinnasty

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    Should probably slip into your guide that Sanctuary and Wall of light can both be interrupted by silence, stun and any knockbacks which wastes both cooldowns so you just have to be aware of mechanics and time them well.
    Sanctuary is a stationary channel so any movement, either your own movement or an enemy knockback or what have you.

Wall of Light, like Power Variation, is a mobile channel, so movement won't break it, but interrupt effects will.

I have complained to the devs about the problem of needing to threat + CD on add spawns, but using channels well is just something every tank had to learn with the arrival of PV 2 years ago.

But it comes down to using the correct cooldown for the situation. You have Shield Defense and Aegis for mobile CDs, and channels for when you can use them. And if the fight really doesn't let you use your channels, VK still exists.
    The cockroaches won.

Default Paladin 4.0

Do u have any guides fr Paladin 4.0?i only see VK on the wr guides fr 4.0, i never tanked as wr so i really dont know wht should i use VK or Paladin.ty fr any reply.
    Last edited by bollesti; 01-08-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bollesti View Post
    Do u have any guides fr Paladin 4.0?i only see VK on the wr guides fr 4.0, i never tanked as wr so i really dont know wht should i use VK or Paladin.ty fr any reply.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...nk-guides.html

+ Reply to Thread