• 4 Post By SecondBass
  • 1 Post By SecondBass
  • 1 Post By Riane
  • 1 Post By Biscuitsyum
  • 1 Post By SecondBass

Thread: 3.6 Liberator Guide [PVE]

Default 3.7 Liberator Guide [PVE]

Welcome Preset Users!

Liberator is warrior's raid healing soul. Because it was released before Warchanter, warrior's tank healing soul, it offers unparalleled tank healing ability among raid healing souls without sacrificing any of its raid healing ability. It also offers raid-wide damage mitigation which allows it to be extremely competitive with the other raid healing souls.
    It is also very enjoyable to play because your healing output is determined by how many healing effects you can keep active at once, allowing you to make it as involved a playstyle as you want.
    And you heal by flexing!

What's Changed:
    Spoiler!

Point Spread:
    61 Liberator/10 Warchanter/5 Paladin (Requires purchasing Ascended Souls)

61 Liberator/10 Paladin/5 Void Knight (no ascended souls) (This will be automatically filled out by the preset)
    61 Liberator/10 Paladin/5 Warchanter (scales better than the standard build, so this will provided SUUUUPER SLIGHTLY better tooltips for those with very high gear levels. Assume the standard build will be better for you unless you're above 1500 hit)

Abilities noted below as being from the Warchanter soul will only be available in the standard build and abilities noted as being from the Void Knight soul will only be available in the alternate build.

Mastery Alternatives:
    63: Runner's Training is an option if you're struggling with mechanics. A full health battle resurrection is nice, but dead healers can't resurrect at all.

Synergy Crystal:
    Caretaker's Crystal

Gear & Stats:
    While it is slightly more important to have Strength and Attack Power than in a DPS soul, using the same gear setup for healing and DPS is completely fine (just remember to swap your synergy crystal and trinket!). Liberator has so many healing ticks that capping Crit Power(2980 is soft cap before feast and sigils) is completely valid.

Buffs:

Spoiler!

Important Abilities:

Playstyle:
    As a raid healer, your goal is to keep the five/ten/twenty people you're playing with alive through all manner of damage. You will do this with an array of heal over time (HOT) effects placed on up to twenty allies as well as lessening damage taken with your damage mitigation tools. Liberator also has very strong single target healing abilities, so you can also provide substantial tank healing to help your tank healers out. This will also take the form of HOT effects. As you start with liberator, practice maintaining only a few HOT effects, and then challenge yourself to add more and more HOTs into the mix. This gives liberator a very rewarding gameplay because your healing is limited only by your ability to juggle.

While your goal is to have as many HOTs active as possible, some are better than others and this is basic priority for starting out with the main HOTs:

Basic Healing Priority:
    This will provide the bulk of your raid healing and tank healing. Since most of these abilities are finishers, you will be using Group Assistance as your basic builder to generate attack points in between applying these HOTs. Healing as a role is very fluid, and it's hard to give a priority past this as most things will be situational and you will have to use your judgment, which will come with time, to make the best choice. Because Liberator functions as both a raid healer and a secondary tank healer, most of your decisions will be based on who is taking more damage: the raid or the tank.

REMEMBER! HOT effects are the most effective if you let them fall off completely before using them again. (MCR and PR are the exception to this rule, explained later)

[Before reading further playstyle sections I recommend practicing just these HOTs. Target yourself with abilities in place of a tank and have fun]

Playstyle - More Raid Healing:

Ameliorate is a powerful channel that provides more healing per second (HPS) than spamming group assistance in addition to providing mitigation to everyone it heals. (this is unique so it only conflicts with other liberators using ameliorate on the same ten people) It is also a fast way to generate attack points. It has a short cooldown so you want to use this as much as possible.

Redress is a very powerful ability that should be reserved slightly due to its cooldown. It is off the global cooldown (OGCD) so you can put it up right before damage starts without delaying any other healing. This is your strongest cooldown so saving it for a specific mechanic is often a good idea (Emission of Turmoil on Enigma for example).

Mass Rescue is another powerful cooldown. It is your only way to shield the raid, so you can use it to either delay damage to allow you time to apply more HOTs or use it during damage to give yourself some breathing room.

Medical Facility is your third 'cooldown.' Because it generates 2 attack points, you want to try to not waste them by already being at 2 or 3 attack points. It also does not last very long, so if you need to refresh MCR while it is active, you're losing out on a free Deliverance which is a lot of healing lost (but still not worth dropping MCR over).

Deliverance, outside of Medical Facility, is very underwhelming. It is cast time, so if you use it during light raid damage, your HOTs will often have topped the raid off before the cast finishes and you just wasted a GCD and 2 attack points and you'll feel silly. When used during heavy, sustained raid damage where you know the raid will still be injured after the cast finishes, it can be very powerful, but by keeping many of your HOTs active, you might not find the attack points to use it that often.

Due to Positive Reaction, overhealing you apply to yourself is turned into raid heals. You can apply single target HOTs like Prolonged Recovery and Quick Remedy to yourself to generate more raid healing.

Liberation Treatment only heals 4 people, but is fairly strong. If there is little to no raid healing currently, you can pre-apply it to multiple raid members to anticipate strong raid damage.

Playstyle - More Tank Healing:

If you are in a fight with multiple tanks taking damage at the same time you'll usually want to mirror the priority on both of them, applying the top priority to all tanks before applying the second priority to any tank.

Ameliorate is amazing for tank healing too! 6% mitigation is fantastic for everyone, so you should always use this as much as possible.

Dichotomy of Pain is a decent instant heal and it has a nice HOT component. Unusually, the HOT component gets worse per point as you use more attack points, so a 1pt or 2pt DoP is actually a better use of resources than a 3pt DoP.

Quick Remedy is an average direct heal and an average HOT, but it instantly grants 3 attack points so it's free tank healing that then let's you use your stronger abilities.

Power Variation is underwhelming for its cooldown. The first heal won’t tick until 1s into the channel forcing you to use it pre-emptively. It can be useful when tank healing a dungeon, but in a raid I have found that between my HOT ticks and the primary tank healer’s healing that a Quick Remedy oftens functions the same if not better.

How do I heal through heavy damage?

1) Your first line of defense is to maintain as many HOTs as you can manage. It is important to never let the major ones fall off, especially during major damage.
    2) Your next tool is to mitigate the damage taken with Ameliorate, Redress, and to a lesser extent, Mass Rescue. By reducing the damage taken, your HOTs will be even more effective.
    3) Your final line of defense is direct healing. This will be Medical Facility, Deliverance, and Group Assistance. Most raid damage will not require this, and damage that does is usually telegraphed by a cast from the boss.

If you’ve reached the point in an encounter where you are using direct healing to stay afloat, make sure to use your HOTs and mitigation as soon as they are available again.

How do I heal experts with Liberator?

If you follow the Basic Healing and More Tank Healing sections above, you should be able to heal a tank through an expert dungeon. You can replace Group Assistance with First Aid/Fast Relief/I’m With You! As your basic builder, but if you need to use these abilities to actually heal the tank, you are not maintaining enough HOTs. Replacing your synergy crystal with the single target healing Medic’s Crystal can also help.

Individual Ability Notes:

Mass Casualty Response and Prolonged Recovery are on a 1s GCD instead of the usual 1.5s GCD which lets you apply them very quickly. As these HOT effects stack up to 3 times each, you will want to refresh them before they fall off or else you’ll have to waste 3 attack points re-applying all three stacks. The optimal refresh timing is 2s left because they tick every 3 seconds. However, it is often a good idea to refresh them early in anticipation of heavy damage so you won’t have to refresh them during.

Refreshing any other HOT effect before it expires is bad form as you are not getting the full benefit of the effect. However, like above, it can be a good idea to refresh early to anticipate sustained damage. Just make sure you have a reason for clipping your HOTs.

Extraordinary Care, like most of your abilities, has an immediate effect and a HOT component. The shield is often not that relevant as the tank will be close to shield capped by the primary tank healer. However, the HOT component is very strong and should be maintained full time. If there are multiple tanks you can use it on a different tank every 15s to maintain partial coverage on two targets.

Liberation Treatment can be placed on any ally and it will affect that ally and 3 additional allies. I cast this ability on myself because it guarantees that I can track its duration. Because of Positive Reaction this is probably good form regardless but I just think it’s too difficult to track this HOT if it’s not on myself.

Since you are managing a number of HOT effects on the tank(s) you should keep them targeted during fights. If you struggle to see what the boss is doing, you should put the boss on focus by targeting it and using shift+F (by default) and then keeping the tanks targeted during the fight. To quickly switch to the active tank after a tank swap you can quickly press F (by default) twice to target your target’s target (the boss) and then their target (the active tank).

Alternate Bonus Build
    58 Liberator/17 Warchanter/1 Paladin

This build gains Phalanx! from Warchanter which is an exceptional tank healing cooldown. You lose Medical Facility and slight overall healing output but gaining Phalanx! can often be worth it in encounters with heavy tank damage. It plays exactly the same except for the swap of these two abilities.

We Stand United! is the other addition of this build. It is OGCD which lets you quickly top a tank off (or any other ally) with a strong shield and a strong heal without interfering with your other healing. Liberator also has lots of power to spare so the only risk to spamming this ability is it will drain your attack points.

Macros:
    Because effective healing is very situational there aren’t any magical button-saving macros for Liberator, only a few ease-of-use ones.

Positive Reaction
    Spoiler!

This casts Positive Reaction on yourself without having to target yourself.

Liberation Treatment
    Spoiler!

This casts liberation treatment on yourself without having to target yourself.

Extraordinary Care
    Spoiler!

Prolonged Recovery
    Spoiler!

Quick Remedy
    Spoiler!

Dichotomy of Pain
    Spoiler!

These allow you to cast your abilities by hovering over the player name in the raid frames instead of having to target them. Any single-target heal can be setup like this.

Single Target Cleanse

Spoiler!

This will cleanse your mousetarget, or if they don't need to be cleansed it will try to cleanse someone in the raid. If no one needs a cleanse, this macro won't cast, just like the regular ability.

Addons:
    Keeping track of all of your HOTs is very important. I track these using gadgets, but another common alternative is KaruulAlert. Here is the set I used to use for lib:
    Spoiler!

Another option for keeping track of your buffs on another player is Group Buff Tracker. I personally don't care for it, but it gets the job done.

Conclusion:
    I’ve tried to make this as comprehensive as I can for general case liberator play. Again, healing is always situational and you learn how to handle that in the process of learning liberator. I have found that the best way to learn how to heal is the ask experienced people “how do you heal through X mechanic on Y encounter?” or say “I am handling X mechanic by doing Y, Z, and W. Does that make sense?” Because the more specific your question is, the more specific the answer will be.

Constructive feedback is always appreciated. Feel free to contact me on here or in-game if you have any further questions.
    Last edited by SecondBass; 11-18-2016 at 02:25 PM. Reason: presetsies
    The cockroaches won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajib View Post
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records
    4.1 Champion 4.1 Overlord 4.1 Riftblade 4.1 Reaver 4.1 Tempest 4.1 Warpest
    3.7 Beastmaster 3.7 Liberator 3.7 Paladin 3.7 Void Knight

My lil babybass is all grown up and blossomed into an amazing liberbass. Awesome guide

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    My lil babybass is all grown up and blossomed into an amazing liberbass. Awesome guide
    What happened to bmbass? Jokes aside this is a great guide and anyone looking at learning how to play liberator in a competitive setting should read it
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutch817 View Post
    "I don't like what you're saying, so I'mma get triggered and shame you somehow." ~RIFT Forums, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Aayden View Post
    What happened to bmbass? Jokes aside this is a great guide and anyone looking at learning how to play liberator in a competitive setting should read it
    It's VKbass these days
    The cockroaches won.
    I hate to brag but am one of those pro warriors who tries to push things to the limit, broken so many records

9 Paladin 6 Warchanter has higher healing and absorption values. 5 Warchanter is highest, but you want 6 for We Stand United.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDaemon View Post
    9 Paladin 6 Warchanter has higher healing and absorption values. 5 Warchanter is highest, but you want 6 for We Stand United.
    This is only true at super high-end gear levels (I don't know the breakpoint). Which I appreciate you making me aware of.

For comparison my main has a difference on the tooltip of Deliverance of 65 (22386 vs 22441) in favor of 9pally/6wc.
    Meanwhile my 950 hit baby warrior has a tooltip difference of 85 (10724 vs 10639) in favor of 10WC/5pally.

And given that the latter's tooltips are half the value of my main's I think the break point is a fairly high gear level.

So yeah, this is something to be aware of for you very geared warriors.
    The cockroaches won.

You should also include that the difference is so minute that in the end, you should allocate your points according to utility needed.*

* This is a general comment to any healing soul.
    Last edited by Riane; 05-14-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Champion

15 Reaver 0 Paragon > all. Max DPS YO

<Transcendent>

I can confirm that 61 Lib 6 WC 9 Paladin is best spec for endgame raiding and it should be a part of your guide.

I also find a good ST healing macro very important in 61 Liberator spec but it all comes down to personal preference.
    Last edited by Sahtiaro; 05-15-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sahtiar the Green Knight - Khalim'na
    ------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Filri View Post
    15 Reaver 0 Paragon > all. Max DPS YO
    Shush

Quote Originally Posted by Sahtiaro View Post
    I can confirm that 61 Lib 6 WC 9 Paladin is best spec for endgame raiding and it should be a part of your guide.

I also find a good ST healing macro very important in 61 Liberator spec but it all comes down to personal preference.
    I'll add that build in as a footnote, but for the overwhelming majority of players it will be loss.

I'm With You! from WC heals more than either of fast relief and first aid so I scrapped the macro that sticks them together. And honestly I never use it, because We Stand United! and Quick Remedy do the job fine for me.
    The cockroaches won.

Man, you should like, be in a hardcore raiding guild or something with that kind of knowledge! I only hope to someday be able to raid heal AND not stand in **** too. Do you have a guide for that?

Gave this one a quick pass for the preset users like I did for the BM guide.

Added some pictures and cleared up a few phrases, but I really didn't change much so please don't hesitate to ask for clarification or further information if you don't understand something in the guide.
    The cockroaches won.

-Magelo linkified the ability links.
    -Updated to reflect the change to We Stand United!

We'll miss it but it's in a better place now.
    The cockroaches won.

Rift Disciple

What are the legendaries for this build? or is there a better spec for doing experts, dusting my warrior off after a long time just getting back into it. I have a 61 warchanter build from 65 not sure if I should keep it and add this one or is there or keep both, probably need to use my guildies as Ginny pigs and try to heal one lol before I random for it.

+ Reply to Thread