+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: <3.4> A simple Riftblade Guide

Default <3.4> A simple Riftblade Guide

Some people were finding Acuta's rotation to be a little complex, so I made a simpler version that uses deliberate strikes instead of precision. This is pretty much the same as Acuta's 3.0 Riftblade, so kudos to him. This will still yield high, competitive DPS, but is lower than the precision strikes version, especially in cleave/AOE. It's great for learning Riftblade, but I recommend moving on to the Precision Strikes version once you have this down.

The build:

61 Riftblade 15 Reaver 0 X

Switch between Tempest, Paragon or Warlord as you see fit.

Crystal:

Slayer's Crystal

Soft cap CP (roughly 2982), then focus on AP.

Buffs:

Blade of the Ascended
    Avatar of Wind (Water if there's little movement)
    Binding of Affliction
    Enhanced Conductivity/Way of the River

Macros:

DoTs (optimally, have on separate buttons. If you want to use this macro, make sure to refresh SS and FS within 2 GCDs of each other):

#show Flamespear
    cast Flamespear
    cast Soul Sickness

Builder:

#show Rift Strike
    cast Rift Strike
    cast Dire Corruption
    cast Stonespear
    cast Searing Strike
    cast Rift Spear
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast @self Power Manipulation

Burst 1:

#show Fiery Burst
    cast Fiery Burst
    cast Icy Burst

Rift Burst:

#show Rift Burst
    cast Burst Synergy
    cast Rift Burst

Kalerts:

KA::AJ9QOeNqNkUtuwyAQhq+SE7gDNhjEijpG6qaL2N1FsohDK hTXjoAsIvXwhTzUVlXcaEaIeej
    nm0G5yQeBRCsOgz4ZlwXt3k3KqGitUKm+aIKzeyMkAoJzqAjjo JY1pgKujRBtZXdBLHXQT+u3l7X
    e2MGGU2f7afRrF2ubQW9Nt0uCnT8LdoA6nW23XjBeCMKI4DQ5j qqiql/bepVu6CyfQ8Rpb2mSIhp
    fxkJ9qkF/GH8w2s1N8t0kgdaMIylLSThZKvnwHL2zwfZ6wBdsBEAF5aWgkB xlmPxGhzM8+Yte3NC
    tcafF89HN/8KPLokYQ0hJLotCVgDwMLyPGygu4Lz4hztDZTpYDMj9xTfNDHQ zHYdFY/v9aLwXkuS
    VpCWpAaMcVQw/jD2a3k2HKZixN/i6dlrO4qOz5XfX/gUureDw

Rotation/Setup:

Have the macros listed on your bar, and Frost Strike on a separate key.

Priority system for builders (your builder macro automates this):

1. Frost Strike
    This needs to be up at all times. Make sure to refresh it before it falls off, because Frost Strike affects itself. Use the kalert to help keep track of it. This should be used on every 9th GCD optimally.

2. Rift Strike
    You have to use this on CD. Try to have Frost Strike up before using Rift Strike, because Frost Strike's debuff affects it.

3. Dire Corruption
    30 sec cooldown with a 30 second duration. Use on CD.

4. Forked Rift Spear (3 or more targets)
    Rift Spear deals an incredible amount of ST damage when there's other targets. Remember to toggle Fork off (it's oGCD)

5/6. Flame spear/Soul Sickness
    Reapply when it ends as soon as you don't have anything more important to do. Use the DoT macro.

7. Stone spear
    Highest damage ability when you don't have anything better to do. Toggle Fork off.

8. Searing Strike
    Main spam ability when everything else is down.

If there are 2 or more adds around the boss, it's a gain to use a Forked Rift Spear. This is because Rift Spear hits multiple enemies without Fork, and with Fork, it can hit a single enemy multiple times (since you get multiple spears). Fork is also not a straight up 50% reduction (closer to 30%) as Riftblade has huge % damage modifiers, both from self buffs and debuffs.

Rotation for Finishers:

Fiery Burst
    Rift Burst/Burst Synergy (just Rift Burst if BS is down)
    Icy Burst
    1 point Icy Burst

It's a simple, 15 second rotation. You know that you should use a one point Icy Burst when the CD on Fiery Burst has a quarter left. As you do the one second Icy Burst, the Fiery Burst kalert should pop up.

AOE:

#show Rift Spear
    cast [notactive] Fork
    cast Rift Strike
    cast Dire Corruption
    cast Rift Spear
    cast Stonespear
    cast Thunder Strike

#show Earth Burst
    cast Storm Burst
    cast Earth Burst

Have Rift Storm on a separate key. Just use the builder macro to 3 combo points, keep flamespear up with your ST dot macro, use Rift Storm on cooldown, and use the finisher macro when it's down. Use Burst Synergy with a AOE burst. No one point finishers needed.

When cleaving but maintaining ST damage on the boss (Anrak, Zilas), replace Icy Burst with the AOE burst macro, and continue using the ST macro with Fork on. I don't recommend using Rift Storm at all, but if you really want to, use it at the end of a 15 second cycle, and replace the one point Icy burst's GCD with Rift Storm.

Breakdown:

(Average RNG)

Last edited by DarkDaemon; 08-12-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Default Why Rift Spear is a gain in ST when there's adds to cleave

This is contrary to the idea of a simple Riftblade guide, but someone asked me why it can be a ST gain, so here's the explanation:

Rift Spear normally hits multiple targets on its own. With Fork on, you have multiple Rift Spears travelling to targets. Each will independently hit multiple targets, including targets being hit with a Rift Spear.

This means that your target will be hit multiple times with Rift Spear if there are mobs around it (assuming there aren't like 50 mobs that are soaking up the hits).

This is a gain with 2+ targets even in ST, and a massive gain if there's 5 targets (which is the number of Rift Spears you get with Fork on). You lose 50% damage with Fork on, so as long as there's +2 targets (since it'll hit twice with two), it's neutral or a gain. With 5, you get 250% of Rift Spear's base damage.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-15-2015 at 09:21 AM.

This guide is better laid out than Actua's (and has more macros), but I'm not sure how much simpler this is? The only significant difference I see is not "having" to have Dire Corruption on a separate button?
    Also, is Ravaging Strike better than Shock Pulse because the former includes weapon damage?
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 10-15-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    This guide is better laid out than Actua's (and has more macros), but I'm not sure how much simpler this is? The only significant difference I see is not "having" to have Dire Corruption on a separate button?
    1. You can macro Fiery Burst and Icy Burst together (saves one button)
    2. You can plop Dire Corruption in a macro somewhere (saves another)
    3. It's a simple 15 second finisher rotation instead of a complex 1 minute one.

Essentially - you go from 7 buttons to 5, and get a much simpler rotation. Although I wrote 30 seconds of finishers, the two blocks are identical except for Burst Synergy, and the buttons you press are the same.

There's no more fiery burst clipping or management at all, and the only thing you worry about is keeping Frost Strike up and using a one point Icy burst every 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Also, is Ravaging Strike better than Shock Pulse because the former includes weapon damage?
    No. They're actually identical. The tooltips are strangely different, but shock pulse and ravaging strike, before any soul tree modifiers, are exactly the same - both use AP and weapon damage. I use shock pulse because it was the first one that came to mind, and if death damage is one day no longer counted as elemental damage, shock pulse will win.

Try on a dummy yourself and see.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-15-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Rift Disciple

is it impossible to provide a builder rotation to go with the finisher blocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    ...its totally possible that a bug exists somewhere. ~Daglar

You have 1 too many Icy Bursts in your finisher rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffvader View Post
    is it impossible to provide a builder rotation to go with the finisher blocks?
    I felt that a builder rotation would make things more complex, since you have a mere 3 builder buttons to use.

Builders would go something like this:

Frost Strike - Rift Strike - Dire Corruption (Fiery Burst)
    Flamespear - Soul Sickness - Stonespear (Rift Burst/Burst Synergy)
    Searing Strike - Searing Strike - Searing Strike (Icy Burst)
    Searing Strike (Icy Burst)

Frost Strike - Flamespear - Rift Strike (Fiery Burst)
    Soul Sickness - Stonespear - Searing Strike (Rift Burst)
    Searing Strike - Frost Strike - Searing Strike (Icy Burst)
    Searing Strike (Icy Burst)

As you can see, it's difficult to actively use a builder rotation, especially when you should be throwing in a Forked Rift Spear whenever there's adds.

Just use the macro and keep the DoTs up, and you'll be golden.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-15-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Your above rotation is way too long for a Deliberate Strikes mastery RB. You're going 1 finisher rotation too long.

Lies.

Your above rotation is way too long for a Deliberate Strikes mastery RB. You're going 1 finisher rotation too long.
    You saw nothing.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-15-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Opener:

Fiery Burst
    Rift Burst/Burst Synergy (just Rift Burst if BS is down)
    Icy Burst
    Icy Burst
    1 point Icy Burst
    I'd still keep this @15s unless the first burst here is starting @3 attack points and using a burst at the start. Even then, I'd rather start IB and have my first FB get fueled by raid cds along w/ my first BSyn. So, it'd look like this (starting 3ap):

(IB)x-x-x(FB)
    x-x-x(BSyn)(RB)
    x-x-x(IB)
    x(IB)

etc.

I'd still keep this @15s unless the first burst here is starting @3 attack points and using a burst at the start. Even then, I'd rather start IB and have my first FB get fueled by raid cds along w/ my first BSyn. So, it'd look like this (starting 3ap):

(IB)x-x-x(FB)
    x-x-x(BSyn)(RB)
    x-x-x(IB)
    x(IB)

etc.
    Notthinnnngggg

But yeah, I agree with delaying Fiery Burst.
    Last edited by DarkDaemon; 10-15-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Alright, everything looks much better now.

So, I've encountered an... interesting predicament. I picked up RB recently (to offset my standard tempest/paragon/reaver specs, just looking for something interesting to practice for farm bosses). I've done a total of 20 parses currently, and on half of the parses Elemental Touch has done ludicrously low damage. I'm not sure what is different on those parses, all the other breakdown % are the same, except Elemental Touch. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Unprovoked; 10-18-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Isn't Frost Strike buffed by Frost Strike a dpsloss due to using it more often on the cost of buffed searing strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Godgrinder View Post
    Isn't Frost Strike buffed by Frost Strike a dpsloss due to using it more often on the cost of buffed searing strikes?
    No. Frost strike deals ~80% of the damage of searing strike, while buffing all strike damage by 30%. A buffed frost strike > an unbuffered searing strike. The damage is high enough that it's worth using to buff itself.

You only need to use frost strike every 9 gcds to kept it up permanently. In a 6 minute encounter, that's like 27 frost strikes. If you only bother to keep it up for searing and rift strikes, you might use 23 to 24 frost strikes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast