+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 3.4 Riftblade guide

RIFT Guide Writer

Default 3.4 Riftblade guide

This is gonna be a bit of a work in progress, just to get something out quick for people testing on the PTS. It's also only covering the ST rotation so far. When this goes live maybe I'll clean it up a bit.

The best way to play riftblade is to use a priority rotation for the builders with precision strikes as mastery. The priority should look like this:

1. Frost Strike
    This needs to be up at all times. Make sure to refresh it before it falls off, because Frost Strike affects itself.

2. Rift Strike
    You have to use this every time it cools down because it deals so much damage. You never want to use Rift Strike without frost strike up. It's possible to end up in a situation where you need to use Frost Strike (FS) in the same global cooldown as Rift Strike (RS). You need to see this coming so that you can reapply Frost Strike 1 GCD earlier than normal and still be able to use RS on cooldown.

3. Dire Corruption
    30 sec cooldown, 36 duration. You could stick it in a macro and not worry about it too much or just reapply it when it ends. Either way this deals a lot of damage for the 1 GCD it costs to apply it.

4/5 Flame spear/Soul Sickness
    Reapply when it ends as soon as you dont have anything more important to do

6 Stone spear
    Highest damage ability when you don't have anything better to do

7 Searing Strike
    main spam ability

Recommended builder spam macro:
    Cast Power Manipulation
    Cast Rift Strike
    Cast Stonespear
    cast Searing Strike
    cast Shock Pulse

Other abilities should be on separate keys

For finishers it's better to use a set rotation. This is a 1 minute rotation on repeat. Hopefully this picture will do a decent job explaining it:
    3.4 Riftblade guide-riftblade-finisher-rota.png

Basicly 3x Fiery Burst per minute, there will be one small gap where it falls off and the other moments you have to clip it at the right times. Rift burst is always at the same spot in the rotation to ensure you can always use it as soon as it comes off cooldown.

It’s completely possible there’s a better finisher rotation than this but this is the best I got so far. Keep in mind that using 1 point icy bursts is not a dps loss, 3x 1 point IB is the same as 1x 3 point IB.

AoE/Cleave:
    So the first part is the optimal ST rotation, which is mostly meaningless because you will generally be using RB to cleave. There are a lot of ways to do AoE damage in riftblade, but just because you got multiple targets to hit doesn't mean you need to use all of these. Generally you want to do as much AoE damage as necessary while keeping your ST dps as high as possible. This is not an individual question to answer but something you need to figure out with your whole raid. What kind of adds are there, how fast do they need to die, what specs with aoe are people going to play etc.

In this section I will go over some ways to AoE and talk about how efficient they are.

Fork
    First of all I want to explain how the damage penalty works because there are some misunderstandings. Turning Fork on gives all your spear abilities a 50% damage penalty. This counts as an active buff, so it stacks with your other active damage buffs. What this means is that Fork doesn't actually reduce spear damage by 50%, it reduces it by around 25%. This is very easy to test if you dont believe me, just make sure you have all your buffs up including Rift Strike and Enhanced burst and then toggle fork.

Forked riftspear
    So this one is easy. Forking Riftspear is a ST dps gain even on 2 targets, while also doing some AoE damage. On 5 targets this skill does absolutely massive damage, both on your primary target and on all targets around it. When fork is active your spear abilities hit your target and the 4 closest enemies. So when you have a group of targets you want to hit, make sure you target something in the back when casting riftspear, so that it will pass through all enemies.

Dire Corruption
    I already mentioned this one in the single target rotation too. Dire Corruption is free cleave since it's in your ST rotation anyway. You definately want to make sure this is up for aoeing too. Just a reminder that you can't have dire corruption up on multiple targets near eachother, you have to keep using it on your main target.

Earth burst and Storm burst
    Earth Burst and Storm burst can both replace IB in your rotation at very little ST dps loss while providing nice AoE damage. When you have a lot of targets you can consider replacing Fiery Burst with EB/SB aswell. Fiery Burst goes on the first target that you hit after using the ability, which means that it will sometimes go on an add instead of on the boss you're trying to DPS. If you're struggling with this, then definately replace Fiery Burst by EB/SB aslong as adds are up.

Rift Storm
    Not really sold on this ability right now. It's a guaranteed way to screw over your rotation: it costs 3 AP and a GCD so it means youre not using a builder that GCD. On top of that you will also have Enhanced Burst fall off which means you need to use a 1 AP burst finisher to get it back up. The damage isn't that much better than using a burst finisher+builder either. If you're heavily aoeing though and you already screwed up your timings you might aswell use this, just make sure to use a 1 AP burst finisher afterwards.

Forked Flamespear/Stonespear
    Both of these are good single target abilities. If you use fork youll lose 25% of their damage on the boss but they become AoE instead. So if you have 2 meaningful targets it's probably a good idea to have fork active.

Thunder Strike
    Not very good, would recommend just not using this. Using this is almost a 50% ST dps loss and the amount of aoe damage it does isnt too amazing either.

If you have any suggestions for improvements feel free to reply to the thread or PM me.
    Last edited by ttlyevil; 10-15-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Rift Disciple

Are you using stonespear or rift spear at all in your rotation?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by colbyrascol View Post
    Are you using stonespear or rift spear at all in your rotation?
    Stonespear yes, forgot to mention it in the guide
    Acuta - Apotheosys

I, personally, wouldn't suggest placing Rift Spear in the ST rotation since it's damage is consistent with Searing Strike's unless you are in a build with Empower. Save Rift Spear for cleave scenarios.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 10-04-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: stonespear already dealt with

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ttlyevil View Post
    Stonespear yes, forgot to mention it in the guide
    Thanks And I'm assuming for your finisher chart you are going down in order right? I'd been doing the same thing but for laughs been porting in and using a 1pt icy then doing my opener so I don't waste an attack point. Plus something about the finisher damage buff and yada yada yada

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by colbyrascol View Post
    Thanks And I'm assuming for your finisher chart you are going down in order right? I'd been doing the same thing but for laughs been porting in and using a 1pt icy then doing my opener so I don't waste an attack point. Plus something about the finisher damage buff and yada yada yada
    Ideally you start with multiple attack points by swapping to a spec that can build up ap out of fight. Then use a 3 point IB right before pull. First global cooldown you either rift walk or shock pulse, 2nd is frost strike and 3rd is Rift Strike. At this point you got all combat buffs up so you can start playing normally.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ttlyevil View Post
    Ideally you start with multiple attack points by swapping to a spec that can build up ap out of fight. Then use a 3 point IB right before pull. First global cooldown you either rift walk or shock pulse, 2nd is frost strike and 3rd is Rift Strike. At this point you got all combat buffs up so you can start playing normally.
    Ok thanks for that. I had been doing that at the start of testing but stopped for...not sure why. Thanks for the guide!

Rift Disciple

If you are on a priority rotation like that you can always just do Frost Strike into Rift strike after your 1pt icy burst can you not? Also I've found 61RB 15Reaver 0Paragon to be the highest single target damage (from spreadsheet) and I'm not really sure how going 8 points into tempest for empower would be beneficial? I know it buffs spear and SS damage but RB already has like 115% increased damage on the self active modifier(Rift Strike, Blade of the Ascended, Avatar of the Rift etc.) so it doesn't seem worth it.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ordien View Post
    If you are on a priority rotation like that you can always just do Frost Strike into Rift strike after your 1pt icy burst can you not? Also I've found 61RB 15Reaver 0Paragon to be the highest single target damage (from spreadsheet) and I'm not really sure how going 8 points into tempest for empower would be beneficial? I know it buffs spear and SS damage but RB already has like 115% increased damage on the self active modifier(Rift Strike, Blade of the Ascended, Avatar of the Rift etc.) so it doesn't seem worth it.
    Just went to PTS to make sure this is correct:
    It's better to use frost strike every 13.5 seconds rather than every 15 seconds, so it has to be used more often than Rift Strike. The reason for this is that Frost Strike is pretty close in damage to Searing Strike and refreshing every 15 means you lose the bonus damage (frost strike affects itself, so it does more damage when the frost strike debuff is still up).
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Soulwalker

Will this be the same build as the 3.0 Rb guide?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Canopy View Post
    Will this be the same build as the 3.0 Rb guide?
    Its either 61 riftblade, 10 reaver, 5 tempest or 61 riftblade, 15 reaver and 0 paragon. This guide works for both, right now I am not sure which of these specs is better. (Ordien suggested 0 paragon, I havent tried it myself)
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Ascendant

10/5 has Shock Pulse, Offensinve blast, Skyfall, and EC.

15/0 has a 3% crit rate buff, and the ability to Switch to 0 tempest for EC and Shock Pulse.

That's the only difference. It comes down to a 2% increases damage debuff or 3% crit. Pretty sure having EC wins, except for those without tempest.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Plane Touched

What sub souls are you using?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    10/5 has Shock Pulse, Offensinve blast, Skyfall, and EC.

15/0 has a 3% crit rate buff, and the ability to Switch to 0 tempest for EC and Shock Pulse.

That's the only difference. It comes down to a 2% increases damage debuff or 3% crit. Pretty sure having EC wins, except for those without tempest.
    EC scales additively with the debuff from frost strike and as such it's only worth 1.5% for your strikes(which are very roughly 30% of your dps depending a lot on crit rng and such). Also I don't think SF is worth a lot since you can use bursts at range anyway and that'll probably be better (havn't done the math but assume so) and offensive blast probably isn't gonna be useful either.
    Last edited by Ordien; 10-07-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: I had more points to make

Plane Touched

I was looking at more of a 10 Te / 5 Reaver mix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast