+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Paladin Build and Macros? 3.0 by Mrchunklite of Laethys.

  1. #1
    Soulwalker MrChunklite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default Paladin Build and Macros? 3.0 by Mrchunklite of Laethys.

    MrChunklite here.

    First Post ever so cut me some slack.

    So i started rift as a paladin tank and gave it up when i hit lvl 60 in favor of VK.
    but after 3.0 came out i jumped back onto paladin because of the reaver changes and messed with my personal build a bit for funsies.

    Build is based of the the preset paladin build before the Reaver changes so its:

    61 Paladin 15 Reaver and 0 Voidknight.

    simple as can be tank build for those who like paladin.. i guess. ( i love me some paladin bro )

    so here are the macro's (seriously? macros for a pala build?) that i set up after some trial and error. The Reason is that since Reaver went DPS it actually gave Paladin actual AOE options. like as in more abilites which in turn gives it more DPS for AOE. i noticed that the preset build had a tiny tiny smattering of aoe options ( and the cooldowns made it annoying)
    So now you can run the same build but with nice aoe dps ( still not as high as the pre 3.0 VK preset build with new reaver dps but still pretty decent)
    Of course it might be closer than i think but i really havent ran enough tests to verify this 100% ( im an idiot so i test all my builds in tempest bay on the practice dummies)

    (Disclaimer: this is not the best guide youll find and more than likely itll turn out that i have no idea what im doing)

    Buffs are:
    Void
    Shield of the Hero
    Shield of the Vengeful
    Binding of Affliction
    Protector's Fury
    (in no particular order)

    Other abilities (the ones i use):
    Face Slam (Interrupt)
    Light's Hammer (ST Stun)
    Light's Domination (AOE Stun but works on ST's as well)
    Judgment (AOE aggro/Pull)
    Interfere (ST aggo/pull)
    Sweeping Strikes (does minimal AOE but generates aggro/pull)

    Light's Protection (i try to use it immediately when it comes off CD (increases heals received)
    Shield Defense
    Aegis of the Light
    ( these two basically do the same thing {reduce damage received} but dont stack and Aegis of the Light does a minimal group heal.. keep an eye on the cooldowns and use sparingly in my opinion)



    Macro's: (#show "ability" is completely preference related and also Paladin Proc abilites Light's Reprisal and Light's Vengeance are included in their respective ST and AOE macro's
    probably not optimized but it works for me because theyll go off when they proc. but the other proc ability i didnt include cause i think it stinks.)

    Single Target:
    #show soul sickness
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast light's decree
    cast dire corruption
    cast soul sickness
    cast pacifying strike
    cast light's vengeance


    AOE:
    #show Light's Decree
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast dire corruption
    cast light's decree
    cast soul sickness
    cast vengeful decree
    cast light's reprisal
    cast rancid cleave

    Heals:
    #show light's blessing
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast light's blessing
    cast light's balm


    Okay so thems the macro's that i set up.

    rotations that i do are based on my hotkey setup. (numbers represent the actually keyboard keys lols)

    Single target:
    1. Agressive block
    2.Single target Macro till 3 attack points
    3.Lights Benediction (because the other ST finisher stinks imo)

    Heals:
    4. Heals Macro
    5.Life's Rapture (use mainly for Raid's and dungeons and Zone Events because it helps if healers are struggling or group took a big big big hit.... i mean seriously it's wonderful)
    6.Touch of Life (use for soloing but can be used also in dungeons and raids etc. if the raid or group is topped on hp and ur getting beat up and heals is struggling)

    AOE:
    7. AOE Macro until 3 attack points and then... no just mash it because the finisher is in the macro.
    8.Vengeful Decree (mainly so you can eyeball it or if you dont want it in the macro i guess)
    9.Sweeping Strike ( not in the macro because it stinks and i only use it for aggro/pull reasons)
    10.Righteous Charge (preference related)

    I left Aggressive Block on its own and not in the macro cause its instant cast and i like to start off most battles with it. (preference i guess... you could switch it out with pacifying strike)

    ok so thats them macro's and rotations.


    Dont think this is perfect cause it isnt.
    im not an Expert on this so sue me.

    If i violated some forum rule please notify me. ( i am an idot after all)

    If this exact build and macro setup is posted somewhere else on the forums notify me and post link so i can review it and make nessecary changes and give proper credit where its due..
    However i have not seen this anywhere and i made this because i was bored and i thought it would be nice for anyone interested in a simple paladin build.. but mainly cause i was bored.

    Any positive feedback is appreciated well anything at all is appreciated.

    I also have a Preset VK Build with new Reaver DPS macros' so if i get a request for it ill post that up aswell (but the original Macro's came from another post somewhere i cant remember so i might not)

    Cheers,

    Mrchunklite.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker MrChunklite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5

    Default Real Quick.

    Hey im waiting on RoughRaptors to look into this for viability for serious tankers (Raids,Dungeons etc.) so in the meantime consider this as a casual tank build and not so much tanky tank, as RR pointed out to me in his New Tank guides that the 15 points in reaver( being a dps spec now)is not so good for pure tanking.

    Will edit post when I hear from him.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by MrChunklite; 10-28-2014 at 04:00 AM.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    What about warrior masteries?

  4. #4
    Ascendant Byaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Seems fine to me other than losing the obvious mitigation/health from not going 15 VK.

    - You forgot Retaliation in your macros.

    - Always use both Light's Reprisal and Light's Vengeance for Single-Target. Light's Reprisal also actually hits harder than Light's Vengeance because unless the encounter is long enough to support Light's Vengeance, the DoT is not going to have enough time to tick. You also would be having it on a separate key to really maximize it. But, since it doesn't even do that much damage in the first place (your priority is to tank) it's pointless to bother maximizing it. Better to have Light's Reprisal above in the macro for spamming.

    - Sweeping Strikes is your snap agro. Open with Dire Corruption on AOE, into Light's Decree and as soon as mobs are within range, do Sweeping Strikes to snap a chunk of agro on all the mobs. Apply Pacifying Strike and Light's Benediction, then you can just spam Rancid Cleave. Soul Sickness is not worth the GCD, it only boosts the damage of your Rancid Cleave on one target.

    - Vengeful Decree is a Ranged 5-Target Finisher. Have it on a separate Key for loose adds at range.

    - Have Dire Corruption on a separate Key, it's your bread and butter for AOE, don't waste it on Single-Target unless it is a Boss.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChunklite View Post
    MrChunklite here.



    Build is based of the the preset paladin build before the Reaver changes so its:



    Cheers,

    Mrchunklite.


    old build is old, read dates

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChunklite View Post
    Hey im waiting on RoughRaptors to look into this for viability for serious tankers (Raids,Dungeons etc.) so in the meantime consider this as a casual tank build and not so much tanky tank, as RR pointed out to me in his New Tank guides that the 15 points in reaver( being a dps spec now)is not so good for pure tanking.

    Will edit post when I hear from him.

    Cheers.
    Putting points in Reaver is a pretty major survivability hit. From running the numbers, you lose over 11% effective health in all three categories (physical, non-physical, and spell damage). That puts you significantly behind in terms of passive survivability in comparison to every other tanking soul in the game-- even Arbiter is only 6-7% behind on physical/non-physical damage, and Arbiter has active mitigation and better cooldowns to make up for that.

    Because of the soul gifts, you do not really have any choice when it comes to putting all 76 of your points into tank souls. Or at least, not if you want to make a viable tanking spec.
    Last edited by Muspel; 01-13-2015 at 07:13 PM.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#4...GFlaBh0/8|TI_0

    you loose 2% base hp BUT you can use accord of resilience to replace shield of hero.

    buffs : void,accord of resilience , protector's fury , shield of the chosen , shield of the vengefull

    +25% dmg -2% base hp
    Last edited by Garshaw; 09-13-2015 at 09:14 AM.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Sedvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garshaw View Post
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#4...GFlaBh0/8|TI_0

    you loose 2% base hp BUT you can use accord of resilience to replace shield of hero.

    buffs : void,accord of resilience , protector's fury , shield of the chosen , shield of the vengefull

    +25% dmg -2% base hp
    There's no point in picking up AoR when you already have SotH. Seeing as block is next to useless, you should already be using SotH and SotV. SotC isn't worth it, so put that point back into Empowerment. Anyways, you should be using this thread for all your tanking needs.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 09-13-2015 at 10:53 AM.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Seeing as block is next to useless
    for the sake of arguement .
    why isn't block good in a physical mitigation build?
    doesn't mean less crits , less burst?
    Last edited by Garshaw; 09-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,131

    Default

    Crits do no apply to PvE tanks. That's the purpose of toughness/hit. It negates the extra damage that crits get. Crits are the same are regular hits for a tank.

    Block is like 40-60 % chance to mitigate 30-40% damage. I don't remember the numbers because block is garbage.

    BURST is what's going to kill you in RIFT. BURST that does ALL you health if you stack block, or Almost all your health if you stack guard+endurance. Block is for long drawn out fights that you take a lot of little hits, and your healer cannot keep up with the damage/is going to run out of mana. That's not how RIFT works.

    Block is a 50% chance to not die.
    If you have enough Guard it is a 100% chance to not die.
    If you have enough Endurance it is a 100% chance to not die.

    Stacking block means you are relying on RNG to save you. It means your are spikier. It means you aren't reliable. Unreliable tanks AREN'T TANKS. They are DPS pretending to be tanks.

    Stack Guard. Stack Armor. Stack Resistance. Stack mitigation. Stack Endurance. Ignore block. Ignore Dodge.
    Last edited by Repster; 09-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    Crits do no apply to PvE tanks. That's the purpose of toughness/hit. It negates the extra damage that crits get. Crits are the same are regular hits for a tank.

    Block is like 40-60 % chance to mitigate 30-40% damage. I don't remember the numbers because block is garbage.

    BURST is what's going to kill you in RIFT. BURST that does ALL you health if you stack block, or Almost all your health if you stack guard+endurance. Block is for long drawn out fights that you take a lot of little hits, and your healer cannot keep up with the damage/is going to run out of mana. That's not how RIFT works.

    Block is a 50% chance to not die.
    If you have enough Guard it is a 100% chance to not die.
    If you have enough Endurance it is a 100% chance to not die.

    Stacking block means you are relying on RNG to save you. It means your are spikier. It means you aren't reliable. Unreliable tanks AREN'T TANKS. They are DPS pretending to be tanks.

    Stack Guard. Stack Armor. Stack Resistance. Stack mitigation. Stack Endurance. Ignore block. Ignore Dodge.
    tradeoff between 2% base hp vs 5% block.
    4/5 Empowerment(VK) vs Shield of the Chosen.

    not stacking block.
    just saying if makes sense to pick up 5% block for 2% base hp.
    Last edited by Garshaw; 09-13-2015 at 06:21 PM.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Sedvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garshaw View Post
    tradeoff between 2% base hp vs 5% block.
    4/5 Empowerment(VK) vs Shield of the Chosen.

    not stacking block.
    just saying if makes sense to pick up 5% block for 2% base hp.
    Maybe if this was Vanilla Rift. Unfortunately it isn't, so block is next to useless 90% of the time. I'd also rather do 25% more damage as a tank than block 5% more (considering how bad block is). Even though VK is vastly superior in every way right now I've tanked quite a bit in Pally recently and I'd never use Chosen over Vengeance. Period.

    tl;dr on this entire subject - tanks and healers are dealing with burst damage, not attrition, thus hp vastly out-scales block.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 09-13-2015 at 10:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    tl;dr on this entire subject - tanks and healers are dealing with burst damage, not attrition, thus hp vastly out-scales block.
    im NOT argueing guard/endurance value.

    still curious how a 170k hp tank gets bursted.
    you are guard capped , max endurance runes etc etc.
    you get bursted.

    at 170k+crit latent blaze+2x sun shield (all this mitigated by guard/armor/puri sign/your own % reductions)
    that's alot of EHP.
    you are looking at 1.5?mil+ unmitigated hp.(probably more)
    and how many times you died after all this dmg due not haveing 2% base naked 65 warr hp?

    and how many times you get saved by block ?
    you need to block 1 time in all this burst chain to stay alive.

    yea burst by definition means not blocked dmg.
    still would 2% base naked hp save you when you are looking at 2mils+ incoming dmg ?

    2% base naked(no items) hp vs 5% block.
    nothing else changes.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Sedvick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,378

    Default

    Seeing as 99% of burst damage a tank takes in this game is unblockable, yep, still taking that 2% hp. You are literally pushing a losing argument in the current tanking meta this game has set up. Block is USELESS, especially when most bosses hit you for more than 100% of your hp and it's unblockable.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 09-14-2015 at 11:34 AM.

  15. #15
    RIFT Guide Writer Muspel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garshaw View Post
    tradeoff between 2% base hp vs 5% block.
    4/5 Empowerment(VK) vs Shield of the Chosen.

    not stacking block.
    just saying if makes sense to pick up 5% block for 2% base hp.
    Tanks do not die to the average case scenario, they die to the worst-case scenario.

    Sacrificing base health for block chance makes the worst-case scenario even more threatening, because by definition, you are not benefiting from an RNG stat in said scenario.

    Don't sacrifice base health for block.
    Last edited by Muspel; 09-14-2015 at 12:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts