+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 3.0 Beastmaster Guide

RIFT Guide Writer

Default 3.0 Beastmaster Guide

Introduction:
    This is a guide for the beastmaster. Beastmaster is a support role that shares most raid buffs (but not all) with archon, the mage support soul. In this guide I will provide two beastmaster specs, one for using alongside an archon, and one that almost fully replaces an archon.
    The first of these specs is 58 beastmaster. You can use 58 beastmaster when you don’t want to use an archon for whatever reason, but there are also some things you can do with this spec that an archon can not do. Beastmaster has the best ability for mass purging, two good defensive cooldowns and in this particular spec also an additional unique cast time buff: primal lucidity.
    On the other hand, beastmasters can’t do the endurance buff provided by one of the archon auras or do the standard physical and nonphysical debuffs. The endurance buff can be covered by a cleric healer with a low amount of points in sentinel, the phys and non phys debuffs can either be done by a bard/oracle or by a mage with the 51 pyro/archon hybrid.
    The second spec covered in this guide is 48 beastmaster. Like 58 beastmaster, you get the unique buffs of enrage, command to stand ground and command to recover. You also get beastmasters spammable purge. The difference between 48 and 58 is that the 48 beastmaster spec has more dps, but it comes at the cost of not getting the cast speed raid buffs and the raid wide 5% crit buffs. This crit buff is so impactful on raid dps that there is no point in playing 48 beastmaster over 58 unless you have an archon in your raid doing the crit buff.
    One spec not covered by my guide is 54 BM. This spec is currently out of favor because it does not get Call of the Forest which pyromancers like to have. It plays exactly the same as 58 BM though.

3.0 Changes
    You can skip this section if you are new to beastmaster. This section is ment for people who have read my prior guides and just want to know what’s changed for 3.0 quickly. 58BM Soul Tree has not changed, 48BM Soul Tree changed a little bit. Both of them have switched to 0 points in reaver because soul sickness is very strong. 48 BM no longer uses shifting blades because of the arc/sb hybrid nerf. This means that 48 BM and 58 BM now play practically the same. The only difference is that 48 BM needs to have tranquility inside its main builder macro. Other playstyle changes are that you have to keep track of soul sickness as well now, so you have 1 more dot to manage. The dots also last 6 seconds longer though because of precision strikes, so overall BM has become a lot easier. Keep in mind that if you were using Karuul alert you might have to update your alerts to look for the correct duration on the dots.

58 BM Soul Tree: 58BM/18Para/0 Reaver

48 BM Soul Tree: 48BM/28Para/0 Reaver

58 BM Buffs:
    Way of the River
    Call of Savagery
    Call of Kinship
    Call of Blood
    Call of the Forest
    Turn The Blade (optional, more on this later)

Since 58 BM is meant to use when you do not have an archon in the raid, you should also use atleast Bond of Power and Bond of Shelter. Bond of Alacrity can be done by you or by the bard/oracle if he/she doesn’t need to use Anthem of Fervor.

Important: if you die, you need to recast all the Calls and Bonds! Only Way of the River stays active.

48 BM Buffs:
    Way of the River
    Call of Savagery
    Call of Kinship
    Turn The Blade (optional, more on this later)

Since 48 BM is meant to use when you also have an archon in the raid, you should not use Bond of Power and Bond of Shelter because the archon will do these. Bond of Alacrity can be done by you or by the bard/oracle if he/she doesn’t need to use Anthem of Fervor.

Important: if you die, you need to recast all the Calls and Bonds! Only Way of the River stays active.

Masteries:
    61: Personal Preference
    62: Personal Preference
    63: Energy Reserves
    64: Precision Strikes
    65: Power Manipulation

Synergy Crystal:
    Slayer's Crystal

Raid cooldowns:
    Enrage
    Command to Attack
    Command to Stand Ground
    Command to Recover

You need to have these skills on your bar. How you use them is up to your raid and I won't go into detail on them here.

Ability and DoT tracking:
    I recommend using karuulalert to track dots, though you can also do it by just looking at your targets debuffs if you prefer. The things you need to track are:
    Cutting Slash duration
    Tearing Slash duration
    Twin Cuts duration
    Flesh Rip duration
    Soul Sickness duration
    Vicious Opportunity/Flesh rip proc
    Cunning Ruse cooldown (it provides a 20s buff but this buff doesn't have a timer and thus can’t be tracked)
    (Optional for 58 BM, Fierce Wounds, the pet buff applied by Fierce Strike)

How to play:

Builder priority from high to low:
    Cutting Slash (Never let this fall off, you will hate yourself)
    Cunning Ruse
    Twin Cuts
    Soul Sickness
    Primal Lucidity
    Vicious Blow
    Fierce Strike

For Cutting Slash, reapply it as soon as you can after the penultimate tick. Reapplying on 2 seconds left is better than reapplying on 0 seconds left, because you will get the next tick sooner when reapplying on 2 seconds left.

Cunning Ruse has a cooldown of 15 seconds while the buff lasts 20 seconds. Putting it in your spam macro means this will generally up all the time. I still recommend tracking the cooldown of Cunning Ruse with a karuul though so you never risk letting this fall off when reapplying multiple dots in a row or purging. When you see that it’s ready use 1 or 2 more global cooldowns on something else if you must but then press your spam macro once to get this back up.

Twin Cuts and Soul Sickness: simply reapply as soon as you can after it ends.

Primal Lucidity: I recommend putting this in your spam macro since it lasts shorter than its duration and it will get used frequently enough that way.

Fierce Strike: Maintaining Fierce Wounds is not a dps gain except during Enrage, so try to use Fierce Strike once before activating Enrage. You will still end up using this ability frequently though, either to purge or simply because you are at range and can’t do anything else.

Finisher priority:
    This is simple. Use Tearing Slash if it’s bleed isn’t up, otherwise use Brutal Strike. Tearing Slash is not worth clipping.

Flesh Rip(FR) and Vicious Opportunity(VO) procs:
    VO and FR share a proc, so every time your pet crits you can only use either one of them. However, they do not share a cooldown, so if your pet crits twice in a row you can use them in rapid succession if you want.
    Flesh Rip deals more damage than VO with the dot part included, but VO deals more instant damage so your procs should go to VO as soon as you have Flesh Rips dot up.
    To ensure maximum uptime on Flesh Rips dot you should clip the bleed near the end, so it doesn't go off if you get unlucky and do not have procs for a while.
    The ideal time to clip FR is either 5 or 2 seconds left on the debuff. However, FR has a big animation delay so generally you want to press the button on 6 or 3.

Finally, you have to decide yourself if you are going to have TTB active or not. Without TTB you do way more damage, but risk energy starvation if verse of joy is not used on cooldown. The advantage of having TTB on is that you can purge a lot faster and that it costs relatively less of your time spend dpsing.

A small addition for 48 BM only: using Flurry whenever you don’t need to refresh any dots is a dps gain. This also means that you can play your oGCD abilities more aggressively since you will not run out of energy. For example, during Enrage (when your pet has a higher chance to crit) you can spam both Vicious Opportunity and Flesh Rip. The pet will crit so often that you should be able to use both on cooldown. Outside of Enrage this is generally not worth the risk, since VO does way more damage than FR when FRs dot is already up.

Macro's:
    58 BM Main builder (spam) macro:
    #show Messy Wounds
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Cunning Ruse
    cast Primal Lucidity
    cast Vicious Blow
    cast Fierce Strike

48 BM Main builder (spam) macro:
    #show Messy Wounds
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Cunning Ruse
    cast Tranquility
    cast Vicious Blow
    cast Fierce Strike

Then, you need macros for all dps abilities you plan on using with Messy Wounds on top. For example:

Cutting Slash macro:
    #show Cutting Slash
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Cutting Slash

Other abilities that you should macro like this: Tearing Slash, Brutal Strike, Fierce Strike, Flesh Rip, Vicious Opportunity, Twin Cuts, Soul Sickness.

Opener:
    This opener is designed to get cunning ruse and some dots up asap and having all raid cds active at 6 seconds.

Start with TTB on

Optional: prepull planar surge (activates all your Calls)
    Fierce Strike->Cutting Slash->Cutting Slash->Tearing Slash
    Command to Attack+Enrage
    Cunning Ruse
    (Turn TTB off now if you want to play 1.5s GCD)
    Cutting Slash (+Flesh Rip if you got a proc)->Twin Cuts->Brutal Strike
    Soul Sickness -> Main builder x2 -> Brutal Strike

Now that you have all your dots up play as described above.

Note that Strike to Maim and Enrage count towards Cunning Ruse so it’s very likely that it will be at the full 20% with this opener.
    Last edited by ttlyevil; 01-21-2015 at 04:50 AM.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

This is a great guide. I'm looking into finally trying out the support role in 3.0 and I can't wait to try out the 58 BM!

I have one curious question though, why is there no build for 61 BM? Is it that bad? What's the point of being 61 in BM then?
    Serale@Faeblight

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
    This is a great guide. I'm looking into finally trying out the support role in 3.0 and I can't wait to try out the 58 BM!

I have one curious question though, why is there no build for 61 BM? Is it that bad? What's the point of being 61 in BM then?
    61 BM gives you a DPS cooldown. The DPS cooldown is inferior to 15% crit.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Telaran

Any idea if a BM/Reaver hybrid scales decently?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Presidum View Post
    Any idea if a BM/Reaver hybrid scales decently?
    Rever is Death damage.
    Beastmaster is Physcal damage.

Reaver wants Reaver Dots.

Beastmaster's soul gift does not help Reaver.

So, no. Nothing works all that well there.

Telaran

Sorry, I don't main BM, was only asking because there should be some kind of synergy between the two. But whatever.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the guide. Im just returning to the game and really want to play a BM from level 1 can't find a BM lvling guide anywhere does anyone know of one? Or a adapted version of this im a bit lost as to where to start.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rhui View Post
    Thanks for the guide. Im just returning to the game and really want to play a BM from level 1 can't find a BM lvling guide anywhere does anyone know of one? Or a adapted version of this im a bit lost as to where to start.
    BM leveling guides don't exist, because you level as the Overlord Preset. However, if you insist on leveling as a soul that require others to perform well...

Points 1-4 into warlord. You need Recovery posture.
    Everything else into BM as you level. First 5 points don't matter, number 6 needs to go into Vicious Blow. After that? Just put point where ever. Until you can get the greater pet. Make that a priority when you can get it. Otherwise, just follow the guide, taking out the abilities you don't have yet.

Once you have more points leftover, put them in paragon as they come, the 58bm/18 para has them all set up for you.

You will end up as 54/18/4 at level 60, and you will most likely realize, after experimenting a bit with other souls, that BM is not the best choice for solo'ing/leveling, and you can go with whatever guide will pop up for that at that point to get to 65.
    Last edited by Repster; 10-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Soulwalker

Thanks very much for the reply I gathered by looking around that nobody levels as BM but i want to at least try if its totally undoable il hunt around for a better leveling guide

Shadowlander

One question is bothering me why BMs are so rare in raids? Many guides I have read talk in length about bard/oracle and archons, BMs are rarely mentioned at all and unless fight conditions require heavy purging, BM are forgotten and left out. What archon can do that much better BM cant? In my limited experience BM in a group instead of archon provided better raid dps output, without any drawbacks and works well with bard/oracle. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by plumplumas View Post
    One question is bothering me why BMs are so rare in raids? Many guides I have read talk in length about bard/oracle and archons, BMs are rarely mentioned at all and unless fight conditions require heavy purging, BM are forgotten and left out. What archon can do that much better BM cant? In my limited experience BM in a group instead of archon provided better raid dps output, without any drawbacks and works well with bard/oracle. What am I missing?
    pyrochon/harbcon > BM DPS

BM effectivity lies in maintaining dots and any sort of lengthy disconnects or target switches cost it heavily (which is a lot of bosses in general)

And most warriors these days (thanks to tempest) cannot handle melee well enough.

#datBMlife

Rift Disciple

roughly what numbers do 58 and 48 pull in 20 mans?
    Fluffybottom no more

RIFT Guide Writer

Havent used 58 BM recently, but for 48 BM 50k is a low estimate
    Acuta - Apotheosys

ttlyevil, could you please convert that 50k to % from what dps the same warrior could do in tempest or paragon (assuming encouter greenlights melee)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast