+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 48 BM Guide

RIFT Guide Writer

Default 48 BM Guide

This guide is out of date. See: http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ter-guide.html

Introduction:
    This is a guide for the 48 points variant of beastmaster. This is a support spec meant to provide your raid with an additional DPS cooldown in Enrage and 2 defensive cooldowns in Command to Stand Ground and Command to recover. While providing these buffs, Beastmaster also has the best purging ability and can do good personal dps in some encounters.
    The advantage of 48 BM over 54 BM is that you have more personal dps, but this comes at the cost of not having the raid wide 5% crit buff. That means that this spec is only suited for using alongside an archon and a bard/oracle in a raid situation.
    In my opinion, this is the most difficult spec warrior has at the moment by a large margin.
    Beastmaster has a lot of problems with some types of encounters because it is heavily bleed and heavily melee based. This spec is no different. You most likely won't be using this spec much at all except on Magcilian and occasionaly on Goloch or Kyzan if your raid is lacking purges.
    For this guide I will copy Heartbeats format of learning in 3 steps, since I think it is well suited to learning BM also.

Soul Tree: 48BM/28Para/0 Tempest

Buffs:
    Way of the River
    Call of Savagery
    Call of Kinship
    Enhanced Conductivity
    Turn The Blade (optional, more on this later)

You do not need to use any bonds. Bond of power and Bond of shelter collide with archon aura's, which he needs active to trigger some talents on himself.
    Bond of Alacrity is usually done by the bard/oracle.

Raid cooldowns:
    Enrage
    Command to Attack
    Command to Stand Ground
    Command to Recover

You need to have these skills on your bar. How you use them is up to your raid and I won't go into detail on them here.

Ability and DoT tracking:
    I recommend using karuulalert to track dots, though you can also do it by just looking at your targets debuffs if you prefer. The things you need to track are:
    Cutting Slash duration
    Tearing Slash duration
    Twin Cuts duration
    Flesh Rip duration
    Fierce Strike pet buff duration
    Vicious Opportunity/Flesh rip proc
    Shifting Blades cooldown
    Cunning Ruse cooldown (it provides a 20s buff but this buff doesn't have a timer)

Step 1, Beginner level

While learning it is a good idea to play with the 1 second global cooldown, so activate Turn The Blade. This is a lot easier and punishes you less for mistakes in your play. It also makes your energy stable which is helpful. At this point you will only be actively tracking cutting slash, tearing slash and your shifting blades use. Cunning Ruse, Twin Cuts and both oGCD procs will both be in your builder macro. Fierce strike is only a minor dps gain and can be ignored for now. In my opinion, playing as outlined in this step will provide you with good enough dps for playing this spec on progress raids. However, you do need to be comfortable enough with it that you can also mix in purges (Fierce Strike) into your rotation, since that is the number one reason you would play this spec in the first place.

Macro's

Main builder (spam) macro:
    #show Messy Wounds
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Vicious Opportunity
    cast Flesh Rip
    cast Cunning Ruse
    cast Twin Cuts
    cast Vicious Blow
    cast Fierce Strike

Shifting Blades macro:
    #show Shifting Blades
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Shifting Blades
    cast Vicious Blow

Then, you need macros for all dps abilities you plan on using that also contain Messy Wounds, to ensure that it is always up. For example:

Cutting Slash macro:
    #show Cutting Slash
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Cutting Slash

Other abilities that you should macro like this: Tearing Slash, Brutal Strike, Fierce Strike.

How to play:
    Shifting blades is your highest priority finisher. After using shifting blades you need to trigger it, for this you should use vicious blow 3 times.
    Reapply tearing slash whenever it is not up and you don't have shifting blades(SB) ready, otherwise use brutal strike.
    For cutting slash, apply 3 stacks at the start of the fight and make sure you never let it drop. The best time to reapply it is when the debuff shows 2. BM bleeds tick every 3 seconds so this way you waste least time between ticks. If you are on 3AP and have SB ready, but need to reapply cutting slash within 4 seconds,
    you can either go over 3 AP before using shifting blades or use a different finisher and delay SB by a couple GCDs. When you are not using Cutting Slash, simply spam your main builder macro.

Step 2, Advanced level

In this step you will start micromanaging more abilities yourself, which will lead to a dps gain over the playstyle outlined in step 1.
    The difference with step 1 is that you will now also be micromanaging Twin Cuts, Fierce Strike, Vicious Opportunity(VO) and Flesh Rip(FR).
    Keep turn the blade on until you get comfortable with this, at which point you can move on to step 3.

Macro's:
    Main builder (spam) macro:
    #show Messy Wounds
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Cunning Ruse
    cast Vicious Blow
    cast Fierce Strike

Shifting Blades macro:
    #show Shifting Blades
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Shifting Blades
    cast Vicious Blow

Then, you need macros for all dps abilities you plan on using with Messy Wounds on top. For example:

Cutting Slash macro:
    #show Cutting Slash
    cast Messy Wounds
    cast Cutting Slash

Other abilities that you should macro like this: Tearing Slash, Brutal Strike, Fierce Strike, Flesh Rip, Vicious Opportunity, Twin Cuts.

How to play:
    Builder and finisher use is very similar to step 1. You gained 2 additional builders to use yourself in Twin Cuts and Fierce Strike. For Twin Cuts, you simply want to reapply it as soon as possible after it has ended. SB has higher priority than Twin Cuts, so if twin cuts is about to end when going into SB, go into SB as usual and just reapply twin cuts afterwards.
    You will also be tracking the buff that fierce strike applies to your pet now. The pet buff makes fierce strike dps neutral, so there’s not much reason to use Fierce Strike over Vicious Blow. However, during Enrage your pet deals a lot more damage, so try put Fierce Strike up before going into Enrage.

The bigger difference between step 1 and 2 is that you now need to use VO and FR yourself. VO and FR share a proc, so every time your pet crits you can only use either one of them. However, they do not share a cooldown, so if your pet crits twice in a row you can use them in rapid succession if you want.
    Flesh Rip deals more damage than VO with the dot part included, but VO deals more instant damage so your procs should go to VO as soon as you have Flesh Rips dot up.
    To ensure maximum uptime on Flesh Rips dot you should clip the bleed near the end, so it doesn't go off if you get unlucky and do not have procs for a while.
    The ideal time to clip FR is either 5 or 2 seconds on the debuff. However, FR has a big animation delay so generally you want to press the button on 6 or 3.
    Do not use any oGCDs during Shifting Blades. Vicious Opportunity eats 2 ticks of SB (the dmg is split in 2 parts) and FR will eat a tick aswell with its small instant damage part.

Step 3, Expert level

Once you are comfortable with managing all abilities in 1s GCD, you can try the same on 1.5S gcd. This doesn't sound like much of a difference but it really makes everything a lot harder.
    With turn the blade off, your bleeds and oGCDs will do more damage which leads to an overall dps increase. Because your bleeds now deal more damage and you have less chances to reapply them, they become higher priority in use now.
    One particular thing that makes the 1.5s gcd playstyle a lot harder is that you now have to work around your shifting blades block lasting 4.5 seconds during which you can't apply dots.
    The macro's you use now are the same as in Step 2.

How to play:
    Cunning Ruse is your highest priority builder. I did not give much attention to this skill in the first two steps, because you would be automatically refreshing it all the time before it expires while using a 1 second global cooldown. However, with 1.5s global cooldown it is possible to let it fall off if you don't pay attention to it. This is where tracking the cooldown of Cunning Ruse comes into play. You do not need to use Cunning Ruse immediately after it is ready (because the buff will last 5 seconds longer) but you should use it before going into your next shifting blades block.
    You still want to keep up your dots as much as possible. The ideal thing to do is reapplying them the global cooldown after they end (except Cutting Slash ofcourse) but this simply won't be possible all the time. Clipping Twin Cuts and Tearing Slash at 2 seconds is something that you should now consider doing if they would otherwise fall off for 2 ticks (6 seconds) during shifting blades. It's ok to go to 4 AP sometimes if it lets you hit the perfect timing on clipping bleeds while you are preparing to go into SB.
    Remember to keep track of cutting slash also, you can clip it at 5 sec to go into SB aswell, but sometimes if multiple dots are about to expire it is better to just delay SB by a few gcds.
    In the previous step I mentioned that you can consider using VO during your shifting blades block. Doing that can be even more of a gain in the 1.5 sec gcd because otherwise you could end up sitting on VO for aslong as it cools down.
    Another thing to know is that you will not be energy stable without turn the blades on. You can fix this by using flurry instead of spamming VB when you do not have any dots to refresh.
    There isn't much more I can say about this, getting the playstyle right with 1.5s gcd is very hard and requires so much practice that by that point you should be so familiar with the soul that you don't need a guide anymore.

Extra notes:
    While 1.5s GCD is the highest dps, if you need to purge (magcilian, but can be on kyzan or goloch aswell for example), it is preferable to use the 1s gcd.
    It is possible to do a little more dps with the Turn The Blades on than with the playstyle I recommended for step 2 by being a lot more aggressive with spamming flesh rip, since it has instant damage aswell. Remember that you can only do this with turn the blade on because otherwise you will run out of energy.
    You can also choose to move cunning ruse out of your main builder so you can micro manage it better. (it has 15s cd, 20 sec duration).
    I do not recommend doing this, because the buff from cunning ruse is very important and tracking it is hard because the buff does not have a visible duration.

Opener:
    This opener is designed to get cunning ruse and some dots up asap and having all raid cds active at 6 seconds.

Start with TTB on

Optional: prepull planar surge (activates all your Calls)
    Fierce Strike->Cutting Slash->Cutting Slash->Tearing Slash
    Command to Attack+Enrage(+Flesh Rip if you have it)
    Cunning Ruse
    (Turn TTB off now if you want to play 1.5s GCD)
    Cutting Slash->Twin Cuts->Shifting Blades

Then do your shifting blades block and do your rotation as usual.

Note that Strike to Maim counts towards Cunning Ruse aswell, so it is safe to use Cunning Ruse even if you did not get a flesh rip proc before it.

Magcilian opener:
    On Magcilian you can use the egg to prepare a better opener. The best way to do this that I have found is using 3x Cutting Slash, Tearing Slash and Flesh Rip (or Strike to Maim) on the egg and then use cunning ruse when the egg is about to die.
    This lets you start with your 20% dmg buff up immediately. Remember that you should not use messy wounds on the egg so you will need other buttons then your usual macros for this.
    After magcilian is up try to apply your dots, but at this point it becomes RNG because you need to start purging aswell.

Additional advice for Magcilian:
    With this spec and playing in the 1s gcd you can handle all purges by yourself while still doing ok dps if you have a magetank with an avoidance spec (harb subsoul).
    If you are using another class as maintank that doesn't have much avoidance then you will need help with the purging, especially if you want to ever use one of your dps abilities.
    It is often difficult to use finishers every 3 AP on this fight because you need to purge so much. What helps for this a little bit is using shifting blades while purging and just triggering it 3 times with fierce strike.
    During breath and shield magcilian does not gain any additional stacks. You should try to purge all stacks of during breath and shield, but you do not need to do it immediately.
    So for example, if shield starts and the boss has 3 stacks, you can try to maintain a good dps rotation for 10 seconds while using fierce strike 3 times where you would otherwise use vicious blow.
    Shifting blades does not work on a target that has an active shield so don't use it at those times.
    Lastly, you can turn off turn the blade during the phase transition to push more dps for the last 50% when you do not need to purge anymore.

Closing words:
    Beastmaster does not get a lot of attention on these forums and I am the only one who plays it in my guild’s raids aswell. This guide is my recommended playstyle, but I haven't really had any feedback on it and I am sure there are things I have missed. If you have any questions or feedback then I would love to hear them.
    Last edited by ttlyevil; 12-29-2014 at 06:25 AM.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Rift Chaser

It should be noted that if you find yourself in an energy starved situation from use soul sickness for shifting blades - and your dot durations permit - using flurry before your SB rotation will help stabilize your energy.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by the unknonw; 07-15-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    Scurch

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    It should be noted that if you find yourself in an energy starved situation from use soul sickness for shifting blades - and your dot durations permit - using flurry before your SB rotation will help stabilize your energy.
    You're right, I kind of forgot about flurry.

Quote Originally Posted by the unknonw View Post
    Spoiler!
    I think you're right. An additional reason to do that is that you can use VO during SB aswell when playing that way, since VO hits harder than VB anyways. Also because you are not forced to use Brutal Strike anymore after SB, your finisher rotation becomes a lot easier which will likely lead to more efficient use of tearing slash.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Also interested in how well 28WL does now with t3 gear. Only issue with it is you can't spec into TtB for 1s gcd purges on Mag.

RIFT Guide Writer

I'm preparing a 28 WL spec for Maelforge to try there since the energy shouldn't really be an issue there with the npc that you can use to give more energy. I don't know if there is any point in using it somewhere else.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by the unknonw View Post
    Spoiler!
    0 rvr will give a higher ceiling while 0 tempest would give a higher floor.

Shadowlander

You will also be tracking the buff that fierce strike applies to your pet now. Maintaining this buff has very low priority so only do it if you would otherwise be using a vicious blow
    But you didn't take Fierce Wounds from tree, so using Fierce Strike doesnt give anything

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Neverast View Post
    But you didn't take Fierce Wounds from tree, so using Fierce Strike doesnt give anything
    Hm yeah, you are right. That's a mistake in the tree I linked. I do use Fierce Wounds ingame instead of razor sharp fangs.

Btw, does anyone know who I should ask for edit rights?
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Quote Originally Posted by ttlyevil View Post
    Btw, does anyone know who I should ask for edit rights?

CM Morgana

Default Re: Guide writer?

You're in the right place! Done and done.
    Urb@Greybriar

RIFT Guide Writer

Got rights to update this now, going to work on that soon. Two things worth discussing when switching the subsoul to 0 tempest:

1. How big is the gap between 1 sec and 1.5 sec gcd in that variant? It seemed to me like the 1 sec gcd might even be ahead but I haven't done any tests on dummies yet.

2. Is it worth using VO during SB? VO deals less damage than VB but the difference is small, and holding on to VO is a dps loss aswell. I suspect the answer here depends on how long you would have to wait with using VO.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

Ascendant

1. How big is the gap between 1 sec and 1.5 sec gcd in that variant? It seemed to me like the 1 sec gcd might even be ahead but I haven't done any tests on dummies yet.
    Pretty big last I checked. 1.5 is ahead by far. Cutting, tearing, flesh rip, twin, etc. All those bleeds, AND vicious and burtal being dropped by 30% is not worth gaining a few more vicious and brutal. Only spec that uses untalented TTB is Riftblade, and that's debatable whether or not it's dps up, down, or neutral.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    Pretty big last I checked. 1.5 is ahead by far. Cutting, tearing, flesh rip, twin, etc. All those bleeds, AND vicious and burtal being dropped by 30% is not worth gaining a few more vicious and brutal. Only spec that uses untalented TTB is Riftblade, and that's debatable whether or not it's dps up, down, or neutral.
    1.5s gcd > 1s gcd (ttb) in every scenario from a dps standpoint. Ttb, though, is the better choice if you are going to be relied on for purging. The gap seems to be ~1.7-2k+ dps from the parses I just did.

On the other hand, in RB it seems to be pretty dps neutral from what I just tested in dummy foundry. However, in certain scenarios one or the other will pull ahead. For example, on fights with random adds 1.5s gcd will win because you get a lot more ST on the boss from forking Bro-spears through your main target. On the other hand, 1s gcd would pull ahead on a fight like Maelforge because of how the npcs on that fight work (Asias in particular).

RIFT Guide Writer

Updated the guide for the 0 tempest subsoul and some other things that were mentioned in this thread. I did a little bit of experimenting with 28 warlord but I don't see any significant difference dps wise.
    Acuta - Apotheosys

This is the only Beastmaster build I run now, only because Maelfrog is the one encounter I'd run a Beastmaster on.

BOSS: Magcillian

Spoiler!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast