Some self healing with Jolt
    Get-out-of-jail-free card with False Repose
    Thunderous Kick to pushback enemies
    A ranged interrupt: Distracting Pulse

Cons:
    Very squishy
    Many keys/macros

Highlights:
    Medium difficulty to use, and good all around DPS build. This is my standard build when I have a healer in tow and is my prefered PVE dungeon/raid build.

Gameplay:
    There are a couple of things to watch with this build, one is Flamespear's timer - most builds I see just macro it in when it has a 15 second duration with a 4 second global cooldown. Flamespear really needs to be on its own key, and you need to be aware of when it runs out to refresh it. The Flamespear macro also has Frost Strike for a melee range +10% dmg debuff on the target, just hit the macro twice quick when you refresh Flamespear. I don't usually use this because you have to be in melee range. I suggest KaruulAlert for watching buffs like Flamespear. Note that unlike the rest of this build's range casts that are 35m range, Flamespear only has a 20m range.

The other thing to watch is the cooldown on Wavelength. When it casts, just hammer the single target builder until Charged Pulse becomes a time cast. When it starts casting, stop hitting the ST builder button. When it finishes, fire off the last Double pulse with a single press of the ST macro key, then hammer the ST finisher, then go back to the ST builder for Lightning Torrent. Wavelength is the only thing I would remove from the macros and placed on its own key - for control of burst dmg.

This build is best if you have a Tempest synergy crystal (Calliope's Tempest Crystal or Calliope's Glowing Tempest Crystal)

Soul tree: 61 Tmp/15 RB/0 Para

Macros for keys:

Single Target Builder:
    #show Wavelength
    cast Double Pulse
    cast thunderous kick
    cast focused fire
    cast Wavelength
    cast charged pulse
    cast lightning torrent
    cast dual pulse
    cast Delayed Pulse
    cast shock pulse

Single Target Finisher:
    #show arc
    cast arc
    cast electricity cascade
    cast skyfall
    cast shock pulse

Multi Target Builder:
    #show Storm Torrent
    cast Focused Fire
    cast disorienting blast
    cast storm torrent
    cast offensive blast

Multi Target Finisher:
    #show Chain Pulse
    cast Chain Pulse

Flamespear/Frost Strike:
    #show Flamespear
    cast Flamespear
    cast Frost Strike

Retreat: (left over from PVPing)
    #show Elude
    cast Elude
    use Stellar Healing Tonic
    cast break free
    cast Light Refraction

Buffs on their own key:
    Jolt, Distracting Pulse, and False Repose

Self Buffs:
    Avatar Of The Wind, Way Of The River, Empower, Enhanced Conductivity, Storm Blade, and Electromagnetic Shield

Give me a tell in game if you need any help.

Characters: Sparn Hashashan Sendayar Fareye all@Deepwood.

Please check out my PVE Paragon/champion build over HERE, and my PVP Warlord/Paladin build over HERE.

Oh god, what are you doing. Not keeping Flame Spear up is the LEAST of your problems.

Why on Earth would you macro all those finishers together? Why would you use Wavelength without using Arc even once? This is a TERRIBLE idea and I can't stress enough how bad it would be for anyone to actually use these macros.
    Seranii@Greybriar - 60 Eth Warrior
    | SL: 11/12 T2, 5/8 T3 | NT: X/X T1 |
    < Dirty Casual until 3.0 >
    "One day you'll hang your head as you realize,
    You've heard it all but didn't listen to a word."

Telaran

Thanks for your reply.

I made this just to be simple to use. You are right, Arc and Wavelength should be used together, but I do not get that much of a difference in dps if I manage them separately. If you do remove Wavelength from the macro like I suggested, you can manage to time when Arc and Wavelength are up.

Just because an ability has a cooldown, it does not mean it should be in macro.

Thunderous Kick - This isn't apart of any damaging rotation. Read what the ability does. It's entirely situational and for most end-game bosses, they will be immune to the CC portion. It may award a CP but it should not be used in a rotation.

Lightning Torrent - This is a channeled ability that will award 3CP if you finish the duration. It shouldn't be in any builder macro.

Double Pulse - Read this tooltip. It says "Must be done after a Charged Pulse."

Dual Pulse - You're screwing yourself out of combo points with how you're managing this. This awards you 2 CP. If you want to macro it, you can utilize this in a macro AFTER Delayed Pulse.

You also do not want to keep Wavelength in that macro you have... Do you even read the tooltips? You want to have that in a macro with Charged Pulse and Double Pulse. Why? Because Charged Pulse will be instant cast. You should be able to squeeze in 9 Charged Pulse if you get lucky with your Surging Energy procs.

Your finisher macro is also really going to hurt your DPS. You want to keep the three of them separate.

You can macro Arc with Skyfall but you have to remember to keep Electricity Cascade on CD before you spam the Arc macro for Skyfall.

======================

I understand you might want to contribute a guide to people here, but I honestly think you might want to take the time to re-read over the ability tooltips and see how you can better optimize the rotation here. You can take a look over at this 61 Tempest Guide to see where you're really hurting Tempest and new players if they were to utilize your guide.
    Last edited by Riane; 05-28-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    The Flamespear macro also has Frost Strike for a melee range +10% dmg debuff on the target, just hit the macro twice quick when you refresh Flamespear.
    That is not what Frost Strike does and you will never want to use that ability in a Tempest build. Frost Strike increases elemental STRIKE damage by 10% for 15s, meaning RB damaging abilities that are strikes. For example, Searing Strike, Rift Strike, etc.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    That is not what Frost Strike does and you will never want to use that ability in a Tempest build. Frost Strike increases elemental STRIKE damage by 10% for 15s, meaning RB damaging abilities that are strikes. For example, Searing Strike, Rift Strike, etc.
    Ah OK I was wrong with my assumption about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    Just because an ability has a cooldown, it does not mean it should be in macro.
    True. Like I have said, I built this for simplicity.

Thunderous Kick - This isn't apart of any damaging rotation. Read what the ability does. It's entirely situational and for most end-game bosses, they will be immune to the CC portion. It may award a CP but it should not be used in a rotation.
    I don't see any harm in having it in the rotation. The only time it gets used is when a mob is melee range, so... just stay out of melee range.

Lightning Torrent - This is a channeled ability that will award 3CP if you finish the duration. It shouldn't be in any builder macro.
    If you watch the rotation of the macro you can time your finishers to coincide with LT's cooldown, like I shortly demonstrated in my video.

Double Pulse - Read this tooltip. It says "Must be done after a Charged Pulse."
    Concerning this, try my rotation; it works - you can see it in the video.

Dual Pulse - You're screwing yourself out of combo points with how you're managing this. This awards you 2 CP. If you want to macro it, you can utilize this in a macro AFTER Delayed Pulse.
    I disagree with macro'ing it with DP, but you are right that my macro is causing the user to lose out on some CP.

You also do not want to keep Wavelength in that macro you have... Do you even read the tooltips? You want to have that in a macro with Charged Pulse and Double Pulse. Why? Because Charged Pulse will be instant cast. You should be able to squeeze in 9 Charged Pulse if you get lucky with your Surging Energy procs.
    Again, I repeat, I said Wavelength could be removed from the macro for better control over DPS.

Your finisher macro is also really going to hurt your DPS. You want to keep the three of them separate.
    Yes they should be seperate, but again, I built this for easy use.

...to see where you're really hurting Tempest and new players if they were to utilize your guide.
    You are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I have found the bulk of guides to be cryptic to me, and made this to be easy to get into the game without much effort. If you wish the game to be difficult, that is your prerogative.

When I am not trying to explain a video while playing, I can sustain 15k dps on a dummy with mediocre T1 equipment...

Fix: put Flamespear on its own key alone and ignore the macro above.

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally, I have found the bulk of guides to be cryptic to me, and made this to be easy to get into the game without much effort. If you wish the game to be difficult, that is your prerogative.

When I am not trying to explain a video while playing, I can sustain 15k dps on a dummy with mediocre T1 equipment...

Fix: put Flamespear on its own key alone and ignore the macro above.
    Re-watch your own guide. You don't even know what the hell you're doing with this build and your macro usage.

You're doing a disservice to the community and new players by leaving your guide the way it is.

It should NOT not be about "opinions" when it comes to guides. You've made this guide for the general public, so you need to understand that what you're doing will be judged if it is being done incorrectly or poorly (and in your case: extremely poor.)

If the guides you've seen here are "too cryptic," why not post in the guide thread and ask for some assistance so that you can better understand? A lot of the guide writers (those that contribute legitimate guides) are more than willing to reply to people looking for more guidance and/or explanations.
    Last edited by Riane; 05-28-2014 at 10:21 AM.

For the record, most of us could do WAY more than 15k playing Tempest even remotely properly in less gear than you have.

Tempest isn't a hard spec to learn, but if you try to play it with only two macros, you might as well not play it at all. Get the 51/17/8 spec and use its hilariously easy 3 macro rotation if that's what you're looking for.

You are doing new players a massive disservice by even suggesting this would be a decent way to play Tempest, when they could put in even a modicum of effort and be wildly better off for it. Twohandz' 61 Tempest rotation, for example, is super straightforward and works great. It just requires you to not hammer BUILDER BUILDER BUILDER FINISHER REPEAT.

Telaran

Dunno, I did two bosses on FT last night and was pulling 20k+ no problem with buffs, Rift Meter put me at fourth out of twenty.

I still stand by my build.

Watched the video and lost hope when Arc was used with LT. Why you do dis?

Dunno, I did two bosses on FT last night and was pulling 20k+ no problem with buffs, Rift Meter put me at fourth out of twenty.

I still stand by my build.
    Not only is that anecdotal, but considering you claimed to do 15k with this spec before, when the video shows you doing 13.5, I don't think anyone can take your claims at face value.

The long and short of it is that your macros are wildly unoptomized and will cause more harm than good. You really don't have any reason to be making guides about PvE, because you don't even seem to understand WHY it's a bad idea to do things like this. You can defend your macro as much as you like, but it fails at what it should do: make it easier to play Tempest. It doesn't, it just makes it mindless, at the cost of massively gimping your possible damage output.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedvick View Post
    Watched the video and lost hope when Arc was used with LT. Why you do dis?
    The horror

Cmon now guys, at least it's not as bad as the other dude
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

What...The....Flamingo.

Ascendant

Let's see if I can match your gear. 1484 flame spear tick in 61/15 on normal practice dummy. No ability icons, so can't check for Crit power since not sure what in the spam was Flame spear ticks.

1450? Close enough. Don't want to mess around finding more attack power for less phys crit or crit power or whatever. Time to switch specs.

58 tempest 18 paragon. Rotation? 111 2222 3 4(3 sec channel). That's it. Pretty damn simple. Could probably even throw the channel in front on 1 for 1(3 sec channel)111 2222 3, if you must take away buttons. There's not even a guide for it, just a footnote becasue of how simple, it is, and it being inferior to the other tempest builds.

14k DPS.

58 paragon is the WORSE of the 4 commonly played tempest specs, and I beat your guide video, on the same dummy, while you were using what should be a more powerful spec.

That's why warriors have issues with your guides. They teach those that follow it to UNDER PERFORM. And that's bad.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast