+ Reply to Thread

Thread: <2.5> 41 Tempest/29 Paragon/6 Riftblade - Tempagon Revival

Default <2.5> 41 Tempest/29 Paragon/6 Riftblade - Tempagon Revival

I decided to throw this out here, since I've tried other specs to optimize my dps, and the only one that I actually got more dps out of was 61 Paragon. Tempagon seemed to die when they threw Arc and Shifting Blades on the same cooldown, and after experimenting it seems that people started to go with different hybrids or 61 specs. This spec is largely Tempest, with Tranquility, Shifting Blades, and utility from Paragon. It's meant to play at range, requiring you to be within 20m of your target for Tranquility and 30m for everything else.

I'd appreciate it if a warrior with >1000 CP could test this for me, to see if the other specs scale better, as my CP sits around 600 at the moment.

Epic Tempagon Revival!

41 Tempest/29 Paragon/6 Riftblade

THE BUFFS

Tempest: Close Training, Enhanced Conductivity, Empower
    Paragon: Way of the River, Focus of Body (FoB might be overwritten by raid buffs)
    Riftblade: Storm Blade, Avatar of Wind

THE MOVES

Tranquility (TQ) - 20m heavy damage range ability.
    Shifting Blades (SF) - off Global Cooldown, damage buff adding to the next 3 single target direct damaging abilities
    Lightning Torrent (LT) - channeled damaging ability
    Charged pulse/double pulse (CP/DP) - your major nukey damage abilities.
    Delayed Blast (DB) - nice damage ability.
    Fiery Burst (FB) - off Global Cooldown, I use this to space my GCD's so that I can use Lightning Torrent on cooldown, every time.
    Shock Pulse (SP) - basic builder
    Electricity Blast (EB) - a DoT that is a dps gain over merely spamming Shock Pulse.

Shield of Will is a decent shield cooldown when you're expecting heavy damage. Fleet of Foot is a nice movespeed buff in a pinch.

THE ACTION BAR

[Macro #1, the builder]
    #show Delayed Pulse
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Delayed Pulse
    cast shock pulse

[Macro #2, WOMBO COMBO (video unrelated)]
    #show shifting blades
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast shifting blades
    cast Double Pulse
    cast tranquility
    cast Charged Pulse
    cast electricity blast

#3, Skyfall (SF)
    #4, Fiery Burst (FB)
    #5, Lightning Torrent (LT)
    Shield of Will
    Fleet of Foot

THE ROTATION:
    ( )-ability is off the global cooldown, so you should mash it.

By Ability Name:

[start with fiery burst if you have any AP at all]

LT>SF
    DB>SP>SP>(SB)
    TQ>CP>(DP) EB>(FB)

LT>SF>
    SP>SP>SP>(SB)
    TQ>|CP>(DP) EB>(FB)

Repeat.

By Action Bar number:

5, 3
    1,1,1,(2)
    2,2,2,2, (4)

Repeat.

Always fully channel LT. After DB>SP>SP, you can pretty much spam the 2nd macro until you get 3 AP, use fiery burst OCD, and start all over. It's very important to use SB and FB off the global cooldown and at 3 AP, otherwise your cooldowns/rotation won't line up properly.

The only major con to this spec is that Tranquility is 20m, so you must be mindful of your range (there are some good addons for this.) Be prepared to stop for a few seconds to channel the cast for Charged Pulse. This boils down to preemptively moving yourself to safe spots in the fight, just long enough to squeeze out the cast. It's better than having to interrupt your cast to move to safety (or dying.)

Plane Touched

If you're playing this at range, why wouldn't you use Arc? All the skills you're using for Shifting Blades procs are ranged skills that will proc Arc. The extra GCD is worth it for the extra 15% damage per hit. Also, what does this offer for a ranged spec that 51 tempest/17 paragon/8 riftblade doesn't?

Test it out and see - I tried both my spec using Arc and 51 Tempest; neither seemed to pull as much dps as what I'm using now. Again, it might be a gear/stat difference.

Umm... wtf is this?

SB is OGCD so basically it makes up the difference and bit more over the Arc.

Plane Walker

Should probably change all your (DB) to (DP) and change the name from delayed blast to delayed pulse

I can't test from work, but I would assume the extra 15% damage from Tranquility / CP / DP would outweigh the extra EB you can fit in that same time slot.

I don't know why the edit timer is less than three days. I can't edit as is, but thanks.

If you could test it I'd appreciate it, again it might work out better for people with lower CP, and other specs might just be better in the long run.

Plane Walker

Well, good news and bad news for you.

Good news: SB is an actual DPS increase, mathematically.

Bad news: Not by much.

I input the variables into a spreadsheet to figure it out mathematically and so I could play around with the variables. The difference was constant regardless of the variables. Using Shifting Blades over Arc, you will see a DPS gain equal to 34% of your Electric Blast base dmg.. over 15 seconds.

So, basically a 200DPS increase.

Unfortunately, in practice, Arc performs better due to RNG and lag, due to the nature of being bursty.

As far as dmg output is concerned, it's less than 61paragon by about 10-12% from my parses.
    Last edited by Kharis; 12-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Plane Walker

Scratch that I was thinking about it all wrong.

You're always better off using ARC because you're using a DoT to take advantage of that oGCD.

You're not speeding up your rotation or taking advantage of the oGCD. In fact, since its a 13.5 second rotation, you're actually clipping the last tick of the DoT, so you're losing dmg using SB.

Arc is better all around.

Try this.

Code:
    LT > SF
    FLURRY > ARC
    TQ > CP > DoP > EB > FB

LT > SF
    SP > SP > DP > SB
    TQ > CP > DoP > EB > FB

Since you're at range the entire time and your rotation consists of no melee abilities, you should change the 3 points in "Difficult Target" to "Long Range Training" to effectively increase the range of Tranquility (and others) by 3 meters.

I would also take the 2 points in "Run Like the Wind" and place them into "Combat Precision" because that'll give you better Tranquility (Physical) bursts (effectively improving your Shifting Blade/ARC).

You could also actually build 41/33/2, this will give you similar DPS to 6 Riftblade and it'll actually scale better once you hit CP Cap (Force of Will + Increased Voltage). You just need to substitute Fiery Burst for Icy Burst in the rotation.
    • For Paragon Utility (Shield of Will and Fleet of Foot), take points from Combat Precision.
    • For Tempest Utility (Range Interrupt and False Repose), take 1 point from Long Range Training and other points from Bioelectric Enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Byaku View Post
    Try this.

Code:
    LT > SF
    FLURRY > ARC
    TQ > CP > DoP > EB > FB

LT > SF
    SP > SP > DP > SB
    TQ > CP > DoP > EB > FB

Since you're at range the entire time and your rotation consists of no melee abilities, you should change the 3 points in "Difficult Target" to "Long Range Training" to effectively increase the range of Tranquility (and others) by 3 meters.

I would also take the 2 points in "Run Like the Wind" and place them into "Combat Precision" because that'll give you better Tranquility (Physical) bursts (effectively improving your Shifting Blade/ARC).

You could also actually build 41/33/2, this will give you similar DPS to 6 Riftblade and it'll actually scale better once you hit CP Cap (Force of Will + Increased Voltage). You just need to substitute Fiery Burst for Icy Burst in the rotation.
    • For Paragon Utility (Shield of Will and Fleet of Foot), take points from Combat Precision.
    • For Tempest Utility (Range Interrupt and False Repose), take 1 point from Long Range Training and other points from Bioelectric Enhancement.
    Why would you use SB at all in a ranged build when Arc does more damage? 75% vs 90% at 3AP

Quote Originally Posted by Llokii View Post
    Why would you use SB at all in a ranged build when Arc does more damage? 75% vs 90% at 3AP
    Because it allows you to win 1 GCD, as SB is OGCD. And it IS more interesting, getting a shock pulse instead in the provided GCD is more interesting than Arc instead of SB.

+ Reply to Thread