+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Warrior Leveling 1-60 [DPS] - [Champion / Warlord]

Shadowlander

Default Warrior Leveling 1-60 [DPS] - [Champion / Warlord]

Intro

This spec is based on the “perfect warrior solo spec” that has been floating around since 2.0 and so on – Warlord/Champion. I’ve leveled up another warrior (one of those people) and using it in low-level situations and have found it to be just as good before the combination of deep warlord and cornered beast. I’ve submitted this to the contest with a Paragon as third spec, but if you have Tempest, you’ll probably use Shock Pulse more (read: ever) compared to Swift Strike. Either way, the third spec receives 0 points and you can change it whenever you want (omg pet at 0 points beastmaster!) This post is the general outline of point spending; you can move points around at any point if you feel they would be more effective elsewhere...there's a situation for most switches.

Level 1-12

You’ll be single target for the time being. Place Sergeants Order, Bull Rush and Power Strike on your bar, and get to doing those intro quests.
    Spec at level 12: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8u/7giM/3

Buffs to add:
    0 points Paragon: Way of the River OR 0 points Tempest: Enhanced Conductivity
    4 points Warlord: Recovery Posture
    4 points Champion: Soldier’s Bearing
    11 points Champion: Shared Suffering

Abilities to add:
    2 Points Champion: Punishing Blow ( Single Target Finisher)
    8 Points Champion: Mark of Inevitability (Large AoE Debuff that will aggro everything ever. Easiest way to pull groups.)
    12 Points Champion: Mighty Blow (First AoE Builder, Hits 6 enemies untalented)

The order doesn’t really matter – If you find yourself having issues with taking too much damage early, You can always get recovery posture earlier than level 12 (which is the point at which you’re forced to have at least 4 points in a tree other than Champion). You’ll want to hold off on diving right into aoe’ing mobs with Mighty Blow until you hit 16 to be safe, although 3 or fewer mobs shouldn’t be a problem at this point.

Early Macros:
    (Tempest variant)

#show Power Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Power Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    Simple macro that casts shock pulse if you aren’t in melee range to use Power Strike. Replace Power Strike on your bars with this. If you don’t have tempest, You can just have Power Strike on your bars. No macro required.

General Strategy: Run in while casting shock pulse. Or charge in and power strike. Or use sergeant’s order to pull mobs to you and Power strike. Punishing Blow with 3 attack points.
    Buffs: Recovery Posture, Soldier’s Bearing, Shared Suffering, and Way of the River OR Enhanced Conductivity

Level 16-21

Welcome to AoE!
    Spec at 21: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8h4/7giIfk/3

Abilities to add:
    16 Points Champion: Bladefury
    16 Points Champion: Chains of Life
    21 Points Champion: Weapon Defense
    6 Points Warlord: Neck Punch (Optional – Spell Interrupt.) 6 points warlord will be at level 18 without delaying anything in Champion.
    7 points Warlord: Backhand (Optional – At this low level, you have energy to spare and an off-GCD ability loses you nothing. I would recommend the point for now.)

Buffs to add:
    20 Points Champion: Slayer’s Bearing (Replaces Soldier’s Bearing)

You’re now an AoE Meat Grinder. Pull groups of enemies with mark of inevitability, Pull casters in with Sergeant’s Order or Line of Sight (or drag melee mobs to caster mobs). Chains of life does absurd amounts of self-healing with 3 attack points – The more enemies you’re fighting, the more healing you’re doing (up to 5 mobs untalented). Recovery Posture is a small heal to keep you going in between Chains of Life, or letting you use Bladefury on groups of 2-3 mobs. Learn your limits, Make the decision between killing 5 mobs slowly with chains of life every time, or killing 3 mobs quicker with switching between bladefury and chains of life. Mighty Blow is your AoE Builder.

Power Strike will still beat Mighty Blow on single mobs. Mighty Blow if there’s more than 1 target in range.

You can macro Weapon Defense onto both single target and aoe abilities, although you may want to have it separate to use only in emergencies. YMMV, I’m lazy so I keep it in my single target macro and tap the single target macro if I need weapon defense while AoE’ing, with Mighty Blow on its own key.

Macros:
    Single Target Builder (Tempest Variant -- Remove Shock Pulse for Paragon, Remove Backhand before level 21, Remove Weapon Defense for using it when needed instead of on cooldown)

#show Power Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Power Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Backhand
    AoE Builder with Weapon Defense:
    #show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Mighty Blow
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Backhand
    General Strategy: Pull with a combination of Mark of Inevitability and Sergeant’s Order(Reserve for casters). Use Mighty Blow on 2+ mobs, power strike otherwise. Punishing Blow for single target finisher, Bladefury for multi-target finisher, Chains of Life for self-healing in single target or multi-target situations (more targets = more healing) Chains of Life is a huge amount of healing with 3 attack points. You can easily outheal the damage of 5 equal level mobs.
    Buffs: Recovery Posture, Shared Suffering, Slayer’s Bearing, and Way of the River OR Enhanced Conductivity.

Level 21-34 (Warlord Detour)

At this point you have some options, If you go deeper into Warlord, you get more survivability when you grab the Combat Veteran (Block without a Shield) Talent. Blocked attacks do 30% less damage, and in pure dps quest gear, you’ll probably have at least 15% block from strength. You also get No Permission to Die (If you hit 0% health, while it’s active, you get healed for 50% of max health instead of dying.) and Thick of Battle (reduces ranged damage done to you, also increases damage done to enemies in melee range). You can deviate from the guide to go deeper into champion if you feel that the survivability isn’t worth losing the extra damage / earlier juggernaut’s bearing and cornered beast, although you do pick up Thick of Battle. I’d recommend grabbing Mired for the flat 9% increase on damage whenever you use Mark sooner rather than later.
    Spec to Shoot for: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8hmQgA/7giIfkg/3

Abilities to Add:
    16 Points Warlord: A Quick Death
    21 Points Warlord: No Permission to Die

Buffs to Add:
    20 Points Warlord: Brothers in Arms (Not useful for soloing, but if you’re leveling together with someone, it’s handy if you have more self-healing than them)

Macros:

Single Target Builder: (Remove Shock Pulse for Paragon Variant, Remove A Quick Death before 16 points Warlord)
    #show Power Strike
    cast A Quick Death
    cast Power Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Backhand
    #show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Mighty Blow
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Backhand
    General Strategy: AoE Unchanged. Single target adds A Quick Death for executes.
    Buffs: Recovery Posture, Shared Suffering, Slayer’s Bearing, and Way of the River OR Enhanced Conductivity.

Level 35-42 (Back to Champion)

After the brief detour, It’s back on the road to get Juggernaut’s Bearing and Cornered Beast. Again, if you feel that you don’t need the additional survivability to level effectively, you can always continue spending every point in champion and only spending points in warlord when required (every level that is a multiple of three has two points)

Spec to shoot for: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8hmQgA/7gmRxa8yS/3

Abilities to Add:
    28 Points Champion: Battlefield Intimidation (largely useless except for running away from things.)
    32 Points Champion: Cornered Beast

Buffs to Add:
    31 points Champion: Juggernaut’s Bearing (Replaces Slayer’s Bearing)

Macros: (Unchanged, Cornered Beast should be on its own key):

Single Target Builder: (Remove Shock Pulse for Paragon Variant, Remove A Quick Death before 16 points Warlord)
    #show Power Strike
    cast A Quick Death
    cast Power Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Backhand
    #show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Mighty Blow
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Backhand
    General Strategy:Mostly unchanged for both. Add Cornered Beast after your initial finisher on single and multi-targets for a good chunk of self-healing and damage. Trample from Bull Rush and finishing moves for 10% more damage.
    Buffs:Recovery Posture, Shared Suffering, Juggernaut’s Bearing, and Way of the River OR Enhanced Conductivity.

Level 43-50

At 43, you basically have 4 points to spend where ever you want. There’s a sprint, a ‘jump backwards’, etc. in the example spec, I just spend 4 points into Trained Defenses for percent damage increase, along with some armor/resist increases.

Spec at 50*: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8kGEx8ic/7gmRxa8yS/3

If you continue following this guide, you’ll have juggernaut’s bearing and cornered beast and be working towards Everything is a Weapon. Other similar guides will have Everything is a Weapon and work towards Juggernaut’s Bearing and Cornered Beast. Honestly, as long as you have one or the other, you’ll do fine until 60. I originally leveled 50-60 at storm legion release with 41 warlord, and 25 champion (with points while leveling going into Champion). I haven’t figured out which one is mathematically better, but having leveled with both, neither “seemed” better than the other. (although, the second warrior that leveled with 35 champion first instead of 41 warlord was several major patches later).

Abilities to Add:
    24 Points Warlord: Piercing Thrust
    26 Points Warlord: King of the Hill

Buffs to Add:
    None (You get Deadly Posture…but more on this later.)

Macros:

Single Target Builder*(Remove Shock Pulse for Paragon Variant)
    #show Power Strike
    cast A Quick Death
    cast King of the Hill
    cast Power Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Piercing Thrust
    cast Backhand
    AoE Builder*
    #show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Mighty Blow
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Piercing Thrust
    cast Backhand
    *With the addition of Piercing Thrust, Backhand isn’t needed to trigger Thick of Battle anymore, and may result in energy starvation issues. You can either spec out of it or just leave it off of macros and use only when you have an abundance of energy.

General Strategy:Unchanged. You have new abilities if you aren’t using the macros.
    Buffs:Recovery Posture, Shared Suffering, Juggernaut’s Bearing, and Way of the River OR Enhanced Conductivity.

51-60

Welcome to Storm Legion! Fill out the rest of warlord towards Everything is a Weapon.
    Spec at 60*: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#8...2A/7gmRxa8yS/3
    *Most of the points past Seasoned, Combat Training, and Adaptability are now filler. You can choose to get Arterial Strike for a dot, or Offensive Surge to keep up Battle Surge more easily.

Abilities Added:
    32 Points Warlord: Battle Surge (Finishing Move)
    36 Points Warlord: Killing Field (Finishing Move)
    40 Points Warlord: Wave of Steel
    Buffs Added:
    36 Points Warlord: Adaptability (2 Active Postures)
    41 Points Warlord: Everything is a Weapon (Grats on 60!)

Macros:
    Add abilities as you level. Same backhand disclaimer.

Single Target Builder*(Remove Shock Pulse for Paragon Variant)
    #show Power Strike
    cast A Quick Death
    cast King of the Hill
    cast Power Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Piercing Thrust
    cast Backhand
    AoE Builder
    #show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Mighty Blow
    cast Weapon Defense
    cast Wave of Steel
    AoE Finisher
    #Show Killing Field
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Killing Field
    cast Bladefury
    General Strategy:With Battle Surge, you have the option of tracking another buff that increases your damage. You can also ignore using it (the goal here is simplicity!) You can solo elites and continue grabbing groups of mob all the way up to and including 60. Killing Field is neat. You should use it on cooldown in most situations.
    Buffs:Recovery Posture,(+Another posture when you get Adaptability. Deadly for more crit, Defensive for more HP/armor/resists, you should be able to use Deadly without a problem.), Shared Suffering, Juggernaut’s Bearing, and Way of the River OR Enhanced Conductivity.

At 60, You'll probably want to fine tune the spec. Grim Satisfaction, Take No Prisoners, Follow Through, and Quick Footed are all viable choices in Champion.

There is probably a much more efficient damage-to-survivability path while leveling, This spec is intended for people new to Warriors or to Rift in general. I might go deeper into the leveling guide and include gear (rare planar vendors, specific quest/quest chain rewards, instant adventure and crafting/gathering dailies, etc.), but that is a project for another day.

Telaran

First, thanks for the all of the well constructed leveling information.

There are a number of late game builds here and considering that most of the Warrior Rift forum community is generally concerned with SL+ at this point I guess that is to be expected but I run across people that want to play odd builds as they level and it is disappointing that we don't see more of those. Best way to level as a Beastmaster for example (as inefficient as it may be). Sorry, off-topic.

Anyway, any thoughts on weapon choice as you level? Shield until Combat Veteran or use shield as needed for defense otherwise simply use the best available regardless of type?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Whelm View Post
    Anyway, any thoughts on weapon choice as you level? Shield until Combat Veteran or use shield as needed for defense otherwise simply use the best available regardless of type?
    Try it. For me a long time ago the shield was my saviour, It may be different today.
    Your tradeoff in damage lowlevel is neglectable, at least it was in the old days, but your
    overall survivability was much better with a shield.
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    Defiant Warrior R82, Cleric R78, Rogue R71, Mage R58, Guardian Rogue L57 R55
    There are enough PvE achievements in other signatures - serve yourself there

Ascendant

Shield is not really worth it as soon as you get weapon defense. From last time I played a low level like 6 months ago anyway

Telaran

I guess for shield use it comes down to whether you think that armor rating actually does anything considering you can ramp block rating with just about anything. (shrug)

Thanks for the responses. Recommending this and similar leveling builds to a couple of new players.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    Shield is not really worth it as soon as you get weapon defense. From last time I played a low level like 6 months ago anyway
    Armorfactor of shield is an important factor if you do AoE Farming, much more in lower levels.
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    Defiant Warrior R82, Cleric R78, Rogue R71, Mage R58, Guardian Rogue L57 R55
    There are enough PvE achievements in other signatures - serve yourself there

Shadowlander

Howdy folks. Sorry, I've been a bit busy to check up on the thread and figured e-mail notifications would...notify me by e-mail if there were any replies.

On the topic of a shield, I tended to just use a 2-handed weapon or dual wield while leveling. It's easier once you get to weapon defense, but from chains of life on you should not have problems once you figure out your limits.

For comparing one-handed weapons to two-handed weapons, you multiply your main hand damage by 1.3 to get the equivalent two handed dps -- as long as you have another one hander in your offhand (which just turns into a stat stick). When you equip a shield, you lose that multiplier on your one handed dps, but gain the armor.

I believe while leveling up you'd probably get a max of 10-12% more damage reduction from the armor on a shield (very scientific proof of mailing a low level warrior friend a shield and compare reduction before/after equipping) -- which obviously adds up when 3 or more enemies are hitting you -- I'm sure a shield will let you take less damage, and perhaps let you Bladefury more, but I personally don't have any problems using 2-and-3 point chains of life to stay healthy between weapon defenses. Maybe for much larger packs like multiple rift invasions? There's no real good area you run into while leveling normally to pull more than four or five things at once efficiently (you spend more time gathering enemies and killing them than it would take to kill them in two smaller groups, especially when casters are involved).

Ascendant

Bringing in this up, since it's better presented leveling information then the other threads that popped back up. Would not want new players getting confused.

Shadowlander

Build is now in game as 'Overlord'

I still check for posts in this thread occasionally -- Busy with work.

Default Great guide, thanks

I'm leveling a new warrior, strictly in PvP. Been looking for builds that have good survivability. This is my current build http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#VkIxAg/588/6q I have pretty good damage output, not the highest, but I do end up in the upper tier of damage done and killing blows.

Your build is slightly different than the Overlord build. In the Champion tree, you have 1 point in Quick Footed, and the packaged build has this point in Grim Satisfaction. I'm curious to know which is better.

Thanks again for the guide!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Docturi View Post
    Your build is slightly different than the Overlord build. In the Champion tree, you have 1 point in Quick Footed, and the packaged build has this point in Grim Satisfaction. I'm curious to know which is better.!
    My build ends up with 2 points in grim satisfaction, and one in quick footed. I didn't actually go through and spend the points in the order in game to see if they followed the actual order I submitted to the contest. Sorry for the disparity.

It's a paltry amount of energy with a single point, best case scenario, 40 every minute (where your normal regen is 10 power/second, so 600 over that same minute, ~6-7% increase in available energy at best for one point).

Grim satisfaction makes much more sense later when you have more off-gcd abilities / use abilities more often (less downtime through more healing, or harder mobs). in a pvp scenario, i'm not the best person to ask. I wouldn't even make the top fifty list of people to ask. However, if you're dealing with a dominator (energy drain - does anyone else have an energy drain yet? this is how much I pvp.), you're going to be starved either way. As I mentioned at the end of the guide, You'll probably want to fine tune the spec... Warlord energy problems are more prevalent at 60 (mobs surviving for much longer) and in pvp. Attack power and weapon contribution is always there for you.

For your current spec, and as I said, i'm not an expert on pvp, i'd recommend dumping the points you have in beastmaster and reaver for points in paragon/riftblade (passive bonuses for your Tempest spells). It's a pretty wonky hybrid right now (mostly tempest + pet + melee dot & ranged dot + melee finisher?). You can fully commit to tempest / ranged abilities - they're usable in melee range too, or you can commit to a nearly-full melee spec with 2 points tempest for ranged builder and finisher.

RIP RB + lingering wounds.

Soulwalker

Default Well done

Thank you, this was a nice guide to go off of making a warrior. I am currently using a two handed weapon, but the guide did not specify. Should I change to shield?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jakilian View Post
    Thank you, this was a nice guide to go off of making a warrior. I am currently using a two handed weapon, but the guide did not specify. Should I change to shield?
    Build is made with the idea of not using a shield, especially considering picking up the block-without-a-shield talent.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using a shield with this build other than the wasted talent point. You trade dealing damage for damage reduction. With the self healing, you shouldn't need the additional damage reduction.

I went slightly more in depth in post #7.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Perculator View Post
    where your normal regen is 10 power/second
    12 not 10. If we had 10/sec power Regen we'd be ****ed when basic power consumption of single target builderx3 finisher, is 13.3 per sec.
    Last edited by Repster; 02-16-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Soulwalker

I just wanted to thank you for this guide, it really brought the life back to my old Warrior as a returning player and has seen me from 38 to 46 so far. I'll continue using it to 60 over the next few days I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast