+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Warrior Leveling 1-60 [DPS] - [Champion / Warlord]

Quote Originally Posted by Repster View Post
    I can do that!

Level 61 take XXXX mastery that gives more AoE damage.
    Level 62 take XXXX mastery that gives more AoE damage.
    Level 63 take XXXX mastery that gives more AoE damage.
    Level 64 take XXXX mastery that gives more AoE damage.
    Level 65 take XXXX mastery that gives more AoE damage.

Boom done

There's been no real talk of any change to champ or warlord in a way that would affect this spec.
    There's nothing like a glimpse into the future! (What, no new abilities?)

Seriously, though, it's a relief to hear there aren't any changes coming that would make this spec less playable in 3.0. I started wondering about that when I heard people talking about how Tempest is going to be cut off at the knees soon. I'd really been wanting to get it until I learned that. It might not matter as the 0-point third soul here, but I'd also wanted to play Tempest in some other build(s) using most or all of its points, and now I'm reconsidering. (Actually, I may still get the SL souls eventually. I can be irrational that way.) So if they're not going to tamper with Champ and Warlord, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perculator View Post
    To be fair, I probably would update, if only to put a more recent date on the opening post in the thread and maybe getting editing privileges.
    Sounds like a good reason. And I wouldn't object if you took up that "project for another day" and went into gear, etc. /still-unsubtle hint

Soulwalker

Default Excellent guide

After WoW has ruined any hope I could ever have for improvements to my favorite class (Death Knight, I'm a 10 year raider and EQ raider before that) so I started playing Rift last night. I've been used to playing a strength-based melee for so long that I feel most comfortable in that role so I picked up a Warrior. My son started playing this last week and he encouraged me to try it.

I like the game so far and it is something different to do and has new specs to learn and play (and playing them well) is fun to me. I've been playing a Warrior (got to 18 in a couple hours) but I've been putting off using soul points for anything because I didn't know how or if you could reset your souls at first. I found the guy last night and camped out beside him.

I'm excited that tonight I can log on and have some reference of the direction I want to go and see how these new abilities function. Yes, crazy to level to 18 without using any souls, but I didn't do anything else but quest and do events the whole night so I didn't take the time to stop and look at any of it. It is a very easy transition from WoW and most things seem similarly set up.

Next I'm going to have to figure out what to do with all these things I get from the events (save them until 60? That's my current plan).

Tips for an up and coming raider? Get lots of Hit? (Just read about people complaining hit rating being a content gate for tiers).

I'm playing Defiant on Faeblight if anyone has room for a Rift noob in their guild!

Ascendant

I'm surprised you made it to 18 without finding a warrior trainer. There's one in every major hub. I can think of 3 maybe 4 in freemarch of the top of my head. It's a relic of when you had to pay to level your skills instead of having it automatic and for free now. Then again, not needing them would be a reason to miss them.

Don't save currency if there's something that could make your leveling easier. Planerite is useful, yes, but any of the other zone event currencies are useless later. There's like 6 tiers of planar currency from rifts and zone events right now. The expansion is being released in less then 4 weeks, so that's going to be at least a seventh tier. So yeah... nothing you can earn now will be useful at endgame.

Hit is only a content gate for pugs that use it as a gear score, or trying to skip progression. 50+ Leveling gear has 25, dungeon gear 40, 53 for experts, 65 for raid 1, 78 on raid 2, and 90 on raid 3 gear.

You get the previous set of gear to get into the next. Even if you have the hit from somewhere else, your still going to have like 10 pieces of gear that don't have hit on it. Even if you have a few 90 hit pieces giving you the HIT required, you probably have no business in a raid if the rest of your gear is level 55 or something.

See, people assume that if you have XXXX hit you have that roughly that gear level. Like say... 500ish, 8*65=520 that means you should have about half of your gear being Raid 1, and the other half expert. That does not matter much. Come 3.0 your gear current gear won't matter for very long.

The only people that will have any kind of advantage in the first week or two, is those that shelled out 150$+ to get early expert level gear, and some of that will be replaced by actual expert gear while the rest of the raid is gearing up before going into raids. Not to mention it does not cover ALL gear slots, so those will need to be aquired as well.

Anyway. You want to raid? Get to 60. Once your 60, max out your planerite, and earn some platinum, and get some basic gear going from regular dungeon and experts and crafted gear. Your guild, if you find one that is not just starting to raid, might be able to carry you into T1 raids to get a feel for basic raid mechanics before 3.0 if you reach 60 in time.

THE most important thing though, is buy a few extra roles (first ones are like 3, 10, and 50 gold), and learn your calling, not your spec. You want to be a good warrior. Not a good XXXX spec.

Rift rewards adaptability. Solo spec, tanking spec, DPS spec for mobility, DPS spec for ranged (even if you have to fake it when you don't have tempest), DPS spec for melee, Support spec (even if you never use it), tank spec (even if you never tank). I mean, sure, it's possible to do quite well if you just learn how to Tempest, but your not going to be at your best if that's all you do.

Sure, you could get into raids in like 2 weeks from now if you power level like a mad man, buuut, better to learn the ins and out of the game then rush into content that will be trivialized 2 weeks later.
    Burst before or after Rift implosion, never both.

Soulwalker

Thanks Repster. Great advice.

I just never bothered to look for the trainer because the 2-3 buttons were all I needed at that early stage of the game. I took Overlord and spent my points last night, while I was only on for about an hour I did get to 20 and tried the spec out. I love Chains of Life and AoE pulling. The taunt (not good with names of everything yet) that pulls the mob to you is exactly like the Death Knight ability Death Grip so I am used to that mechanic.

Good to know about the rift materials, I will save Planarite and spend the rest.

Agreed on learning the calling as a whole, I plan on mastering all viable Warrior specs so I can fit in whatever role is needed for a fight. I currently raid heroic end-game in WoW on my Death Knight where I play all 3 specs (depending on the fight). I did read a blurb about Tempest being nerfed but haven't read up on any of the specifics yet.

Are there any big Rift resources like MMO-Champion or Wowhead for game info and articles? There's also got to be a theorycrafting community out there somewhere too...

Any Warrior specific add-ons you suggest? Looking at getting Rift-Meter and King Boss Mods (and Resource Tracker for farming mats).

One last question, what do I "need" to buy (real $) to be an effective raider?

2 days in and I'm about to take the red pill...

Ascendant

http://rift.magelo.com/en/
    http://www.manoflegends.com/
    http://riftgrate.com/

Are your best bet for websites, and just the forums here in general.

You don't NEED to drop the cash t be an effective raider. Unless you want to be a Raid Healer. Or pure Range DPS. Or want the absolute maximum possible DPS. Although that last one might change in 3.0 with Reaver conversion to DPS instead of Tank. 's quite possible to be more then effective with just the free souls.

Add-Ons? Get Roles. Best add-on. Gear management, spec management, wardrobe management, all in one. Can't recommend Roles enough.

KBM is useless and for babies that can't learn mechanics.
    "Warning. You need to intertupt.
    "Warning you are standing in fire."
    "Warning you have a dot that's going to kill you"
    "Warning you need to cleanse"
    "Warning abluh abluh ablug."
    "Warning boss 1's health is 4% lower then boss 2"
    Learn the fight. KBM reacts to mechanics, you can predict them. I've had WAY to many people rely on KBM as a crutch, and watch it and not the fight.

Kaarull alert or, whatever it is, is a thing I see others use a lot to manage buffs,dots, hots and whatnot.

Aside from that, I use 3 DPS meters. Because I'm crazy like that. Rift Meter. Simple Meter. Super Meter. Not been using the third as much lately.

Soulwalker

Ok so im new to the game so dont laugh at me.

But the macros. Do i just use them once then use a finisher? or Spam them and use a finisher. And which finisher should i be using

Once again total noob but im liking this game so far

Quote Originally Posted by ggny View Post
    Ok so im new to the game so dont laugh at me.

But the macros. Do i just use them once then use a finisher? or Spam them and use a finisher. And which finisher should i be using

Once again total noob but im liking this game so far
    For single target, use the single target builder to 3 attack points. For AoE, use the AoE builder to 3 attack points. Then, since the guide only lists one finisher macro, use that to spend the points. Once points are spent go back to spamming either the single target or AoE macro until 3 attack points, etc.

Soulwalker

I'm new to the game too, and ive been using the preset stuff that trion created for new people. It wasn't really doing enough dps for me so I decided to find a new build. I came across yours and its fantastic. I've added my own little switches for my own personal use, but you really helped me in figuring out how to build an overall solid class and how to create macros that are specific to attacking groups or one single enemy! so thanks! lol

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Thosin View Post
    I'm new to the game too, and ive been using the preset stuff that trion created for new people. It wasn't really doing enough dps for me so I decided to find a new build. I came across yours and its fantastic. I've added my own little switches for my own personal use, but you really helped me in figuring out how to build an overall solid class and how to create macros that are specific to attacking groups or one single enemy! so thanks! lol
    Just so you know...

Top, or close to it, dps spec? It's a preset. Fury, and Slayer. Lord of War as well is prtty much up there.
    This spec? It's a preset. Overlord.
    Top tank specs? It's a preset. Righteous Defender, and Pact Breaker.

So yeah. The presets aren't lacking as builds, you just need to click the guide button on em.

Rift Master

Nice guide. I changed some of the points around and added Tempest for the ranged spell. Great for soloing/leveling. Props to all the other Champ/WL guides.

Shadowlander

Judging from the first couple looks at masteries, there's going to be a spread of options, nothing that the spec needs to rely on, but also nothing spectacular jumps out at the moment.

Everything subject to change, so no more in depth thoughts for now.

Soulwalker

Default Gear

So ive recently hit lvl 50 and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on gearing for warrior on SL (ive been following this spec guide)? Should I just do normal dungeons to gear up or use my infinity stones on the green gear in tempest bay? Or should I continue questing and using that green gear? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Keep using this build and quest gear up to 60. Then start obtaining/spending your currency on 60 gear.

Soulwalker

Default Gear

Should I do dungeons as well and fill in gear slots with drops from normal dungeons? If they are better than the quest gear.

Ascendant

They are, but good luck getting a Queue to pop without bringing the entire team yourself. Last time I tried it took 2 hours to get an archive of flesh pop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast