+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jaxxer

Thread: Linkedin's PvP Warlord 10 Commandments

Default Linkedin's PvP Warlord 10 Commandments

I continue to see Warlord specs in warfronts running around, charging into zergs without support, contributing far too little to the success of the team, and whining about how bad the rest of the raid is. For shame.

Our soul has a lot of utility in pvp warfronts if we know how to use it, but when relying simply on our mechanics, our utility is horribad. This has been a concern among the Warrior community, but doesn’t seem to manifest itself in better playstyle across the pugs in 2.5.

The majority of Warlords fancy themselves dps’ers whose goal is to be top of the charts in total damage. That is of course, doing it wrong.

Here are a few Commandments that I think are best practices for Warlords. If leveraged we will be using the spec to great effectiveness. If I leave anything out, add to it, feel free.

Thou shall burst accordingly.
    Battlefield Experience and the ensuing KOTH>DS>PS rotation that provides huge burst should be saved for taking down a healer or support class, or someone in your own healers’ face. Hence, think about the pull, charge, or peel that you want to execute before popping this cooldown on whomever is closest.

Thou shalt build thy Surges.
    Always have Tactical and Battle Surge up unless you are being focused (then build up Defensive to get away and regroup). Do not think for a second that the added damage taken to Battle Surge is a liability, nor that the added dps is unimportant. A number of talents are dedicated to making surges last longer and impact your burst and self-heals more. Use them and do not run with all three.

Thou shall not rush in to zergs.
    Just don’t do it. The best way to break up a zerg is to peel their support classes out of the mix with pulls. If you do want to charge a zerg, have Defensive maneuver ready to bounce right back out to your own ranks. Running in there and pretending you’re Conan just gets you killed and overtaxes your healers. Of course, if you have a pocket healer on you, that changes things quite a bit.

Thou shalt Guard thy whole team.
    I’m seeing this more, but still too infrequently. Warlords have both the PvP Guard ability (25% damage redirected from ally for 10 seconds) and Brothers in Arms (1 hour buff that redirects an ongoing 15%). You have the health, your healers and support do not. Create macros in /ra chat to state when %t has Guard or BIA so that your teammates know you’ve got their back. Pathetic when a Warlord has very little damage taken at the end of a match.

Thou shalt leverage Pulls judiciously.
    Pull support and healing classes, peel dps off your healers and your own teammates. You have two pulls, but they are not created equal. SO is on an 8 second cooldown and refreshes frequently with charges – your go-to yanker. GO should be saved up for when healers are clustered in the back rank and you want to grab a bunch of them at once. Integrating pulls with Charges is key to disorienting enemeies – if you have low lag, you should make a habit of SO>DM>CTB. The ‘yo-yo’ move pulls, refreshes your self-heal and charge, roots the enemy, and sets you up with a tidy Disorient buff (defensive and offensive). Most importantly, a Warlord flying around the Field tends to trigger the ‘o-****-cockroach-flee’ maneuver and effectively can break up a zerg.

Thou shalt use thy Charges frequently.
    They snare, close gaps, do a lot of damage, and refresh frequently. Period. CTB also should be used judiciously when BE is popped. Many forget that.

Thou shalt buff thyself with Mercenary Consumables.
    Merc Insoles and Stones and Armor Plating as well as Recon Vials are tools that Warlords, with their ability to move all around the battlefield and peel/focus baddies or protect their own should always be using. Don’t be cheap with Favor. It comes easy.

Thou shalt let they enemy overextend.
    Human nature suggests that someone, somewhere, on the enemy team will overextend, either healers will clump together in their back ranks (GO target), or one deeps will charge your backranks (baddie), or a Sin will pop up, or a healer will be too far forward, etc. Wait for it, don’t blow your pulls and charges on a zerg.

Thou shalt remain flexible on the battlefield.
    Don’t give yourself the role of simply peeling the baddies and healers, also check on your own healers. Whisper them and see if they need protection. It’s ok to hang in your own ranks if there are lots of sins on the enemy team, to be sure that you can keep your support up. With 2 charges, an 8 second pull, a sprint and DM, no one moves around faster or can peel melee off your healers better than a Warlord. No one.

Thou shall not obsess over ‘damage done.’
    Damage done is less important than some other numbers. Warlords can get a good idea of where they are needed early in a warfront by checking ‘healing done’ to target in on enemy heals if they aren’t marked well, or ‘damage taken’ on your own team to target in on your own teammates that might be getting focus fired. I usually check this on respawn, easy downtime.

I know a lot of this may seem like basic tactics to you all, so bring the flames, I guess. I also know there are a ton of Warlords out there who don’t do half or more of these best practices, so I urge you to try some of them out regularly and see the effect you have for your team.

Happy hunting.
    Linkedin
    Crushing noobs in RIFT PvP since 2011

Right, you mind spelling out those acronyms?

KOTH King of the Hill
    DS Decisive Strike
    PS Piercing Strike
    SO Sergeant's Order
    GO General's Order
    DM Defensive Maneuver
    CTB Clear the Breach
    BE Battlefield Experience

..actually I figured them all out.

Also, more opinions on Battle Surge?
    Last edited by forbiddenlake; 11-29-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    Also, more opinions on Battle Surge?
    BS provides very scalable improvements to burst and to Battlefield Experience macros - Decisive Strike is our hardest hitting ability and it hits like a mack truck when Weapon and AP is boosted so always have BS up before hitting burst macros at minimum.

Other than that, you may want to unclick the buff after a big fight if you see people coming for you, but normally I jut work to keep it up unless I'm trying to disperse a zerg and expect to find myself surrounded by many enemies Focusing me at once. I think alot of people are scared of the damage increase to the Warlord but it's not a big deal if you are in 1v1, 1v2 or 1v3 fights.
    Linkedin

Soulwalker

Good stuff as someone who plays WL/Para I'd like to add some specific strategies:

Typical encounter:

Get your target, start hitting them from range and get your surges up. SO pull them, use flurry if you have it for 3 swords and try to stay in melee, 3 swords, use your burst now if they get low.

If they separate, but you can still kill them charge and keep spamming burst until it's all on CD. Start using builder, rinse and repeat.

Taking out a paragon, look for their SB, disarm, flurry if you have it, burst them, separate and charge, finish any burst abilities and your battlefield medic should be up again. Interrupt their flurry.

Taking out a tempest, get 3 swords, charge-> burst abilities. Flurry if you got it, separate, charge, builders/finishers. Interrupt their charged pulse. LOS is your best friend make sure you can charge or pull them before they can get even half their rotation off. You will kill them because they are squishy ranged *******.

WL unite.

Edits: I forgot not everybody has flurry in the wl build.
    Last edited by Oceansouldier; 12-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansouldier View Post
    Edits: I forgot not everybody has flurry in the wl build.
    Yeah I don't use Flurry at all, my build is 61 WL.
    For me, it's about balancing my Battlefield Experience cooldown - when that's up I hunt, when it's down I bottom feed. Always enough for me keep killing. Merry X-mas everyone!
    Linkedin

+ Reply to Thread