Thread: FORGET RB, GO WARLBLAGE (pvp)

Rift Disciple

Default FORGET RB, GO WARLBLAGE (pvp)

61WL/15RB/0Temp http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#2gGmg/8kGGGGGGliGg/V
    Variants
    61WL/15RB/0Temp http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#2gGmg/8kGGGGGGliGg/V
    61WL/13RB/2Temp http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#2hBi/8kGGGGGGliGg/Vq
    Non-SL (no Temp) http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#2gGmg/8kGGGGGGliGg/7

*The top build is the one i use. the next two were previous version and the last one is for those who don't have temp or refuse to rely on temp*

I've been running this build (or its variants) every since the major changes to the soul, making the Warlord soul a hybrid dps/tank soul. It immediately caught my attention and i loved the flow of attacks, its survivability, and its synergy with other souls. Like most, i've used Riftblade (RB) in pvp for a long time, pre-SL. I still carry the 61RB/15Temp build but rarely do i use. Never liked the idea of going glass cannon, especially because i never que with a pocket healer or with any guild members as they like to focus on pve content. Warlord (WL) just seemed like a perfect soul for pvp to me. I hate seeing all the threads about RB/Temp being our "only" pvp soul. This build to me is much better. (before trolling start, this is simply IMO). It has great burst damage (just under the RB/Temp) and has much much better survivability. The timing of Pierce Thrust is the most important thing to know when bursting for max damage. I've gone up against numerous RB/Temp warrior in pvp and have no problem beating most of them. Let me emphasize(!) that i dont know the full extent of their ranking, gear, or skill level. I have complete set of Freelancer gear top down except for my dual weapons (DW) and bow as i'm just shy of rank 70. so yes, i could have been picking on freshly leveled 60, similar geared, and maybe (just maybe) some higher ranked and geared. But i've played and pvp since beta on my warrior (and rogue) so i have a pretty good idea of what i'm usually up against. Point being, RB/Temp is not our "only" pvp build and i'd like to see how others use this build. Ok, on to the actually guide:
    MACROS:

Starter Macro (SM)
    #show Clear the Breach
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Piercing Thrust
    Cast Clear the Breach
    Cast Into the Breach
    Cast Flamespear
    Cast Shock Pulse

Initial attack. Depending on how far your enemy is you'll either charge or pop SP. Thanks to the new root ability to both charges you should be able to pop off Piercing Thrust (PT) immediately afterwards.

Spam Macro (SpM)
    #show Empowering Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Piercing Thrust
    Cast King of the Hill
    Cast Decisive Strike
    Cast A Quick Death
    Cast Empowering Strike
    Cast Backhand
    Cast Arterial Strike
    Cast Shock Pulse

Main macro. Kind of long but the game has no problem casting the right ability. The order is meant to prioritize. My original macros had King of the Hill (KotH) and Decisive Strike (DS) with the "Starter" macro. i've only recently added them to this macro. either way works but its easier to reapply KotH and DS with this macro.

Finisher:
    #show Fiery Burst
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Piercing Thrust
    Cast Fiery Burst
    Cast Breaking Blow

My original macro had Icy Burst after Fiery Burst and Breaking Blow next to it on my action bar, however, after many test it showed that Breaking Blow hit harder (even with Scald). Plus Breaking Blow (BB) debuff enemy to take an extra 5% damage from you. Bascially use this macro twice, than just use Icy Burst over and over until you need to reapply Fiery Burst and Breaking Blow debuff (hint: once Fiery Burst is off its cooldown (CD) you will need to apply both before going back to Icy)

Pull:
    #show Sergeant's Order
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast General's Order
    Cast Sergeant's Order

Straight forward. if you lose melee range pull them in close. if PT is off CD you'll be able to use it immediately after pulling them to you.

Interrupt:
    #show Windspear
    Cast Neck Punch
    Cast Windspear

Again pretty straight foward. used mainly against caster. I use this, though, once i have any enemy around 35% of his/her life. if his Break Free is on CD, its game over.

BUFFS:
    I usually go with Ready Posture, Recovery Posture, Everything is a Weapon, Battlefield Experience, Storm Blade, Avatar of Wind, Enhanced Conductivity.
    However, if there's a lack of heals go Defensive Posture and Recovery Posture.
    If there's plenty of heals go with Ready Posture and Deadly Posture.
    I enjoy the flexability of WL over RB because of its ability to adapt to the Warfront (WF). We've all been in matches with no heals or great heals. Adjust as needed.

Attack Sequence:

Charge (+1 AP) -> Piercing Thrust (+1 AP) -> King of the Hill (+1 AP) -> Fiery Burst -> Decisive Strike (+1AP) -> Piercing Thrust (+1AP) -> Arterial Strike (+1AP) -> Breaking Blow -> Empowering Strike/A Quick Death x3

Simplified with Macros:
    Starter Macro x1 -> Spam Macro x2 -> Finisher x1 -> Spam x3 -> Finisher -> Spam Macrox3

At first it might seem like a "long" attack sequence but its actually not. Piercing Thrust and Fiery Burst is Off Global Cooldown (oGCD) so those attacks dont take anytime to execute. Also, with Ready Posture all attacks on the GCD become 1sec GCD so it's 0.5 secs faster than say RB attacks. Notice what exactly is going on here in the fight. Charge roots target for 2secs and easily sets up Piercing Thrust. KotH deals big damage, 100% crit on next PT and increases damage from any PT for the next 15s. Fiery Burst flows right into Decisive Strike (another strong attack) which flows into a guarantee crit PT for massive damage(!) flows into Arterial Strike (oGCD). DS > PT > Arterial Strike... 3 attacks/3 attack point builders in about 1sec....Followed by Empowering Strike which increases damage output, followed by Breaking Blow which also increases damage enemy takes by 5%. The center of this attack sequence puts out so much dps, your Spam macro could jump right into A Quick Death x3 -> Icy Burst for an easy finish and KB. I've put out more burst dps using this attack sequence than anything i've done using the RB/Temp build. I could be using the build wrong, could have wrong macros setup, etc etc. Always that possibility But this is still pretty impressive!

For any disconnects, you have two Charge attacks with root ability (3 if you go Champ over Temp) in Clear the Breach/Into the Breach and they no longer share CD. You have Shock Pulse (SP)/Burst Finishers combos to sustain damage from a distance. Dont forget you also have two Pulls that do not share a CD. Charges x2 (roots x2), Pulls x2, SP/Burst finishers.... yeah, your good here.

Don't forget about your Surge Finishers. Tactical Surge is a must. 15% increase in damage plus incoming heals. Have it up 100% of the time. I use to use Battle Surge... but with the recent nerf to this ability i don't anymore. HOWEVER, if heals is not an issue (pocket healer or otherwise) you can use this ability again for more damage increase. Defensive Surge good for more survivability but again with the recent nerf to this ability you'll be doing 10% less damage.

That's pretty much it. I've used this build prior to recent nerfs to WL and continue to use it afterwards. The burst dps is amazing, second only to RB/Temp, and the increase in survivability over RB/Temp makes this an easy pick again and again. Don't forget about Battlefield Medic (now refreshes after Charge abilities) and No Permission to Die. I'd like people to try it out and see what they think. I'm tired of RB/Temp being claimed in forums as our "only" pvp build when i've been dominating with this build for months now. Enjoy and await positive feedback and suggestions. Trolls keep away lol
    Havok Toshyn

My alt warrior is not 60 yet, but I've been playing Warlord in PVP constantly and rarely miss the top damage spot. Coupled with great survivability, you really can't go wrong.

For those still leveling 50-60, I'd recommend doing a 51 Warlord, rest in Paragon build, making sure to put 3 points in Flowing Strikes. You can run with some obscenely high crit rates. Until you get Warlords 61 point ability, this spec would probably outperform.

Something like this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#38kqw/8kBiGGGFlaF0/V

Nice guide though.

Cleric 4/4 Hardmodes 4/4 FT 5/5 EE 4/4 GA
    Twitch Stream

Plane Walker

Have you tried killing field? It hits pretty hard.

Plane Walker

Also, you're wasting points in Surging Energy... Ready Posture is all you need.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Makexevil View Post
    Also, you're wasting points in Surging Energy... Ready Posture is all you need.
    Nope, disagree. I use my oGCD attacks like Arterial Strike and Backhand quite a bit. doesnt effect attack rotation, adds more burst dps = burns power more. its a trade off but hardly wasted pts. extended fights against healers, yup comes in handy. But, if you believe its wasted pts than were would you put them instead?

Yes i use Killing Field quite a bit. adds quite a bit of dps, especially if Tactical Surge is up and debuff from Breaking Blow.
    Last edited by HavokToshyn; 07-21-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Havok Toshyn

Soulwalker

I agree with OP on the Surging Energy as well, I can get starved pretty easily with this build.

On topic though, with Killing Field, how viable would it be to add it onto the end of the finisher macro? I was just caught chasing a pesky healer earlier who was just out of range for my Breaking Blow...would Killing Field's range be able to hit them?

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...1-warlord.html

Nice thought to get this spec revived. I use it also with a somewhat different take on it
    Last edited by TedO; 07-22-2013 at 01:15 AM.
    Elimination aka Gramps, formerly of MMAC, Squabs Squad, Mobile Death Squad,FoTM,Temporal Insurgence, Beep Beep Imma Jeep and Philanthropy

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by chevsdime92 View Post
    I agree with OP on the Surging Energy as well, I can get starved pretty easily with this build.

On topic though, with Killing Field, how viable would it be to add it onto the end of the finisher macro? I was just caught chasing a pesky healer earlier who was just out of range for my Breaking Blow...would Killing Field's range be able to hit them?
    Killing Field has a bigger range than melee's standard 3meters so it would work if he is just outside range, however, i would recommend going Fiery/Icy Burst with SP instead.
    Havok Toshyn

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TedO View Post
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...1-warlord.html

Nice thought to get this spec revived. I use it also with a somewhat different take on it

Do love the WL/Temp build. Used it while leveling up and is awesome for disconnects while still providing nice melee burst dps. Comes with an extra CC breaker from Leap Back, but has no stuns like Windspear. Its a trade off thats for sure.

Again, my biggest thing is 61RB/15Temp is not our "only viable" pvp build, and its not the "best by far"
    Havok Toshyn

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HavokToshyn View Post

Spam Macro (SpM)
    #show Empowering Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Piercing Thrust
    Cast King of the Hill
    Cast Decisive Strike
    Cast A Quick Death
    Cast Empowering Strike
    Cast Backhand
    Cast Arterial Strike
    Cast Shock Pulse

Finisher:
    #show Fiery Burst
    suppressmacrofailures
    Cast Piercing Thrust
    Cast Fiery Burst
    Cast Breaking Blow

My original macro had Icy Burst after Fiery Burst and Breaking Blow next to it on my action bar, however, after many test it showed that Breaking Blow hit harder (even with Scald). Plus Breaking Blow (BB) debuff enemy to take an extra 5% damage from you. Bascially use this macro twice, than just use Icy Burst over and over until you need to reapply Fiery Burst and Breaking Blow debuff (hint: once Fiery Burst is off its cooldown (CD) you will need to apply both before going back to Icy)
    First off, thank you for the guide (both OP and Ninefingers). I've been able to enjoy cleric, mage, and rogue (in that order) but never been able to stomach warrior... Until my recent return to Rift, that is.

I can't wait to try this one but I have a couple of questions:
    • On your Spam macro, when I create mine, shouldn't I place Empowering Strike after Backhand and Arterial Strike? If I understand the mechanics correctly, it seems like your current order might keep those two from ever firing. But I could EASILY be wrong... it's been a long time.
    • On your finisher macro you mention that Breaking Blow hits harder than Icy Burst even with Scald. If that is the case, is it even worth taking Scald anymore then? Not that a couple of points will really make a huge difference anywhere but I'm all for more survivability!

TIA for your time and thanks again for the guide. Makes re-noobs like me look less tardid.

Rift Disciple

Ahhh stupid edit timer. To think they've never extended that five minutes? haha
    Nevermind my previous post - I'm learning more and more from other threads.

For those that know, please correct me if I'm wrong here. For those that were wondering the same as I was -- I think I understand now that you can place oGCD & situational attacks after an unrestricted attack in your macro and they will still fire.

I'm not sure I ever tried that last year when I played, but it makes sense in milliseconds.

Also, as for the spec differences, I'm tinkering with it myself. I think I might go for the 2 Temp version of this in favor of the ranged finisher over Scald.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    For those that know, please correct me if I'm wrong here. For those that were wondering the same as I was -- I think I understand now that you can place oGCD & situational attacks after an unrestricted attack in your macro and they will still fire.
    This is correct. Hitting the macro during a GCD will cause it to skip to any off-GCD abilities.

However if it is a situational ability that's on a GCD it will never go off after a similar ability with no restriction.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 07-31-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Rift Disciple

I gave it some extended parses on the normal dummies in TB and I decided to completely
    forget about Scald. I moved Fiery Burst down in the Macro so Breaking Blow will be my
    prioritized finisher. Still WL/RB parses higher for me than WL/Paragorn, even with ~5% less
    crit rating. Plus I have more energy - running a 15 finisher cycle in 51secs compared to 60
    secs as WL/P.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Feimerdre View Post
    I gave it some extended parses on the normal dummies in TB and I decided to completely
    forget about Scald. I moved Fiery Burst down in the Macro so Breaking Blow will be my
    prioritized finisher. Still WL/RB parses higher for me than WL/Paragorn, even with ~5% less
    crit rating. Plus I have more energy - running a 15 finisher cycle in 51secs compared to 60
    secs as WL/P.
    Doesnt matter if Fiery Burst is below Breaking Blow because FB is oGCD which means unless you wait for the GCD to finish, you'll always pop Fiery Burst. I had that issue before. If you spam the macro that will always be the case. if you sit and wait than sure BB will be used first but try it out and you'll see the order doesnt matter, FB over BB when spamming regardless of order.
    Havok Toshyn

Rift Disciple

FYI, i hate how i misspelled Warblade on this post lol was using my phone at the time :P
    Havok Toshyn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast