Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: 2.5 - Warrior Tank Guides

Default 2.5 - Warrior Tank Guides

I had to make a new thread, my edit timer ran out on my old one from months ago and they couldn't do anything about it...ONTO BUSINESS!

I would like to note that these builds are NOT for low level players. They are for the sole purpose of level 60 end-game raiding.

All of my guides have been ported to
    http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas.../warrior-tank/
    for a much cleaner, nicer format.

NOTE
    The soul trees on Riftscene are NOT accurate. The point spread IS accurate, just copy it over and you will be running the right build, the tooltips are simply wrong.

I still stream, mostly just raid nights farm content (5:30 PST) - www.twitch.tv/roughraptors but I have been streaming Liberator. If you want to see it for yourself hop on when I'm streaming and there's a chance I'll show it off. I will not give out major details, so don't ask ;-)

I have been co-host of a Rift podcast for some time called Hard Mode every Sunday at 6:00 PST - www.twitch.tv/hardmodepodcast or www.riftscene.com/podcast

Let me know if you have any questions in this thread or via PM and I will do my best to answer them.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 11-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks a ton for the fast update. As a player who is new to the game it helps a ton to have a starting point in regards to builds. Based on what you have written Reaver is the top Mit spec now?

P.S. Not sure if you have any control over it but the guides all say "Posted By .... On:" then what I assume is the first time it was ever posted. Is there anyway to tell when the last update was to a guide on the site?

Thanks again.

RIFT Community Ambassador Golden's Avatar

The only way to tell the last update would be the edit time stamp at the very bottom of a post.
    Children's Miracle Network 24 hour gaming marathon - Extra Life - join Trion Worlds team and have fun with us
    Please use my Ascend-A-Friend link: https://rift.trionworlds.com/account...=ascend_invite

Quote Originally Posted by grukthar View Post
    Based on what you have written Reaver is the top Mit spec now?
    Top spell mitigation, Paladin for Physical, VK for DPS if you can afford it. 38/38 is being determined, I think it's #1 spell but I've been told otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by grukthar View Post
    P.S. Not sure if you have any control over it but the guides all say "Posted By .... On:" then what I assume is the first time it was ever posted. Is there anyway to tell when the last update was to a guide on the site?
    Not to my knowledge, I simply update my old guides instead of creating new ones, sorry. Pretty much just assume that my guides are always updated, if they aren't it will most likely say not updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    The only way to tell the last update would be the edit time stamp at the very bottom of a post.
    I believe he means on Riftscene.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 06-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    I had to make a new thread, my edit timer ran out on my old one from months ago and they couldn't do anything about it...ONTO BUSINESS!

All of my guides have been ported to
    http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas.../warrior-tank/
    for a much cleaner, nicer format.

I still stream, mostly just raid nights farm content - www.twitch.tv/roughraptors

I have been co-host of a Rift podcast for some time called Hard Mode - www.riftscene.com/podcast

Let me know if you have any questions in this thread or via PM and I will do my best to answer them.

Finally, a 38 VK / 38 Reaver / 0 Paladin build is in the process of being written, I'm just trying to get around to actually writing it.

Do you use any macros with Paladin Tank build?

Quote Originally Posted by Razrblade View Post
    Do you use any macros with Paladin Tank build?
    Nope. Just the one for VK and the two for Reaver.

38/38/0 is included now, although brief.

Soulwalker

Hi, I don't understand how you get 40% spell mit with this 38/38 hybrid build.

3% void, 8% devourer, 9% power of the masses, that's all I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Matscher View Post
    Hi, I don't understand how you get 40% spell mit with this 38/38 hybrid build.

3% void, 8% devourer, 9% power of the masses, that's all I can see.
    It seems that the tooltips for Riftscene's soul builder have not been updated, or were somehow reverted because they previously were updated. Note: I'm not currently home and cannot check tooltips live, I am going off of the patch notes that Ailion gave us, as devourer is missing from the 2.3 patch notes.a

REAVER
    * Crest of Consumption: No longer increases healing done by Soul Feast by 20%. Now, it increases healing received by 20%.
    * Binding of Shadow: Now also reduces damage taken from spells by 3%.
    * Binding of Death: Reduces damage taken from spells by 10%, down from 15%.
    * Power From the Masses: Now reduces damage taken by 1-5%.
    * Ethereal Bond: Now also reduces damage taken from spells by 1-3%.
    * Crest of the Shadow: Amount absorbed has been increased.
    * Walks with Death: Now also reduces damage taken from spells by 2-6%.

VOIDKNIGHT
    * Accord of Shifting: Now also reduces damage taken from spell by 0.5% per Pact.
    * Unstable Void: No longer reduces damage taken from spells by 15%. Instead, it reduces damage taken by 5%.
    * Rift Distortion: Now also reduces damage taken from spells by 4%.
    * Surging Touch: Now also reduces damage taken from spells by 1-2%.
    * Devourer: Spell damage reduction on Void is increased by 5-10%, up from 4-8%.
    * Protective Shield: Absorption from Protective Shield has been increased.
    * Power Shield: Fixed a tooltip error.

But...with them included, it is:

3% void
    2% surging touch
    4% rift distortion
    10% devourer
    5% accord of shifting
    3% ethereal bond
    5% power from the masses
    6% walks with death
    3% binding of shadow

= 41%...looks like I was 1% below?
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 06-14-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Soulwalker

Hi, I read through all 3 of your guides. They are really nicely detailed but I can't pick out which one is "the best". Is there a clear winner in terms of the tankest? Someone who can stand in everything and anything? Or do they all accelerate in different raids and situations? There is no overall better one of them all?

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseal View Post
    Hi, I read through all 3 of your guides. They are really nicely detailed but I can't pick out which one is "the best". Is there a clear winner in terms of the tankest? Someone who can stand in everything and anything? Or do they all accelerate in different raids and situations? There is no overall better one of them all?
    Overall, every single one of them will do the job unless you are doing hardcore breaking edge progression. But to answer your question, yes, every one of them excels in certain situations. Reaver is for heavy magic damage. Paladin is for heavy physical damage and when you need cooldowns. VK is for when you can sacrifice a bit of mitigation for some extra DPS or if you need utility (silence/purge/self cleanse). WL/Pally is...don't bother unless you're heavily overgeared. 38/38/0 is for fights where you need even more spell mit than 61 Reaver, but can sacrifice some incoming healing, HP, and dps.

The 38/38 isn't 100% set in stone and to be honest I am yet to use it, but I have been told my math was wrong according to Primals spreadsheet, but I'm awaiting confirmation. It still seems 38/38 is best for spell mitigation as you can see from my elementary math at the bottom of my guides comparing all of the bonuses every spec gets.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 06-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Soulwalker

Overall, every single one of them will do the job unless you are doing hardcore breaking edge progression. But to answer your question, yes, every one of them excels in certain situations. Reaver is for heavy magic damage. Paladin is for heavy physical damage and when you need cooldowns. VK is for when you can sacrifice a bit of mitigation for some extra DPS or if you need utility (silence/purge/self cleanse). WL/Pally is...don't bother unless you're heavily overgeared. 38/38/0 is for fights where you need even more spell mit than 61 Reaver, but can sacrifice some incoming healing, HP, and dps.

The 38/38 isn't 100% set in stone and to be honest I am yet to use it, but I have been told my math was wrong according to Primals spreadsheet, but I'm awaiting confirmation. It still seems 38/38 is best for spell mitigation as you can see from my elementary math at the bottom of my guides comparing all of the bonuses every spec gets.
    Hi thanks for the quick reply. Mitigation is like dodging and blocking? Sorry New to Rift. I'm guessing there isn't a more important mitigation between magical and physical. Which one do you prefer out of all the builds you have? Cause I'm leveling up with your pala build and I still die to 3 mobs at once. I'm guessing I'm playing it wrong?

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Mitigation is like dodging and blocking? Sorry New to Rift. I'm guessing there isn't a more important mitigation between magical and physical. Which one do you prefer out of all the builds you have? Cause I'm leveling up with your pala build and I still die to 3 mobs at once. I'm guessing I'm playing it wrong?
    By spell or non-spell mitigation I mean a flat out reduction to that damage type taken. If you were to take 100 spell damage and have 40% spell mitigation you would be hit for 60 damage (resistances not taken into account). Blocking and dodging is based almost solely on your gear and very little soul points give you any, only a few do.

Spell and non-spell mitigation are equally important, it just depends what fight you are doing. As you are new though, I would not recommend these guides for leveling, they are for the sole purpose of end-game level 60 raiding and would likely be a hindrance if you tried to make them while leveling, which is most likely why you are dying. All of these specs require a large portion of points to be spent in the top levels of them to gain the majority of their mitigation and bonuses.

If you want to level as a tank I can't quite give any good advice, as so much has changed I do not know what is best any longer while leveling. For leveling in general I recommend Warlord/Champion.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 06-14-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Soulwalker

By spell or non-spell mitigation I mean a flat out reduction to that damage type taken. If you were to take 100 spell damage and have 40% spell mitigation you would be hit for 60 damage (resistances not taken into account). Blocking and dodging is based almost solely on your gear and very little soul points give you any, only a few do.

Spell and non-spell mitigation are equally important, it just depends what fight you are doing. As you are new though, I would not recommend these guides for leveling, they are for the sole purpose of end-game level 60 raiding and would likely be a hindrance if you tried to make them while leveling, which is most likely why you are dying. All of these specs require a large portion of points to be spent in the top levels of them to gain the majority of their mitigation and bonuses.

If you want to level as a tank I can't quite give any good advice, as so much has changed I do not know what is best any longer while leveling. For leveling in general I recommend Warlord/Champion.
    Wait you can change your build in the end game? How much does it cost to reset your souls? Does it increase the more you reset? Thanks! I'm going to go tank once I hit 60 but for now I think I'm going to look for a leveling build.

Wait you can change your build in the end game? How much does it cost to reset your souls? Does it increase the more you reset? Thanks! I'm going to go tank once I hit 60 but for now I think I'm going to look for a leveling build.
    I believe you can have 20 role slots now with F2P (bought, of course). By default I think you have 5, and if you get Storm Legion you have 6? I might be wrong on that.

You can change your souls at any time by pressing "n" (by default) and clicking the icon...or the name...i can't remember tbh, they changed the UI in 2.3. It's around there on the bottom, you can just select a new soul and then click "activate" (I think it's called that) and it will switch for you. You can reset your souls for very, very cheap, and no, it does not get more expensive the more you reset.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 06-14-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast