+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Tanky Riftblade (A Leveling Guide (1-20))

Default The Tanky Riftblade (A Leveling Guide (1-20))

I wanted to know how my favorite current solo and pvp warrior spec would do in lower levels, so I ranan experiment to see the best way to build. This guide will only be good until they make more changes and/or add new souls.

At startup I chose the premade build of Shocktrooper. Then changed the far left soul to Warlord, center to Riftblade and right to Tempest from the way they were presented.

Level 1: (1 Point)
    Put point in Riftblade/Elemental Precision.

You start with two buffs: Storm Blade and Enhanced Conductivity.

I went ahead and made a starting builder macro:

Builder:
    #show Searing Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Searing Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Break Free
    startattack

The only other attack isSergeant's Order (on it's own button).

This will cast Shock Pulse until you are in melee. The first hit with SP starts the Enhance Conductivity buff to start rolling. You can either stand there and spam the macro, or pull them in with Sergeant's Order. Sergeant’s Order will also work as an interrupt.

Level 2: (1 Point)
    Put another point in Elemental Precision. This will give you your first Finisher (Icy Burst). Dragthat to your action bar.

My action bar setup is geared for my Razer Naga.
    1 (Builder Macro)
    2 (Finisher)
    5 Sergeant's Order

Level 3: (2 Points)
    Put both points in Warlord/Soldier's Might. This will give you a melee finisher (Breaking Blow), but not something I plan on using. It is almost double the amount of damage as Icy and a cost of 5 more power, so is certainly usable. If you choose to use it just make a Finisher macro and put it before Icy so that it goes off in melee and Icy goes offranged.

Level 4: (1 Point)
    Put third point in Soldier’sMight.

Level 5: (1 Point)
    Put fourth point in SM. This gives you the buff Recovery Posture.

Level 6: (2 Points)
    Put fifth point in SM and onepoint in Warlord/Tactical Advantage.

Level 7: (1 Point)
    Put second point in TA.

Level 8: (1 Point)
    Put third point in TA. You get new debuff Eye of the Storm, which lets you attack a mob in a group setting and not worry about stealing agro.

Level 9: (2 Points)
    Put one point in Warlord/Trained Defenses and the other point in Riftblade/Elemental Precision.

Level 10: (1 Point)
    Put a second point in Trained Defenses.

At level 10 two very important things open up for you: PvP and Instant Adventures. If you’re wanting to do the story quests then those will have you outlevel thecontent. You can always mentor down and finish later if you want. Both of the other things will let you level fast. Doing the Random IA’s will also net you chest/gear drops and doing PvPwill let you start getting PvP gear. Either option is viable.

Level 11: (1 Point)
    Put a point in Warlord/CombatVeteran. You can now block without ashield.

Level 12: (2 Points)
    You have several options withthe 12th point in Warlord. I will take Neck Punch (melee Interrupt), but you could certainly put another point in Trained Defenses.

Put the fourth point in Riftblade/Elemental Precision.

Both of these points will give you two more buffs: Defensive Posture and Avatar of the Wind. Load them on your bar and activate.

Level 13: (1 Point)
    Put fifth point in Elemental Precision.

Level 14: (1 Point)
    Put 1 point in Riftblade\Surging Energy. You could certainly go Fiery Burst, but I am already finding a lot of starvation on long fights. So plan here is SE, then FB& SE at level

Level 15: (2 Points)
    Put 1 in SE and the other in FB. You also gain another attack: Flamespear.
    So going to adjust Builder Macro and create a Finisher Macro.

builder
    #show Flamespear
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flamespear
    cast Searing Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Break Free
    startattack

I could have put Flamespear below Searing, but since it has a cool down will leave it there. I replace the #show with Flamespear for two reasons.: 1) to let me know when I’m in range and 2) so I know if it is off of CD.

Finisher:
    #show Fiery Burst
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Fiery Burst
    cast Icy Burst
    cast Break Free

At level 15 the world of dungeons open up to you. Here is where I would typically buy a couple more souls and make more builds. The first would be the pure DPS version of this build based on Steelwynd’s Riftblade guide. For the second build I would either do a straight support build or a tank build, depending on how you want to go. I honestly don’t want to have too many builds to adjust while leveling (and/or gear to carry around).

Level 16: (1 Point)
    Put one point in Elemental Empowerment.

Level 17: (1 Point)
    Put second point in Elemental Empowerment.

Level 18: (2 Points)
    Put third point in EE and first point in Riftblade/Affinity. This will give you new attack: Frost Strike. Because using it gives you a bonus for Searing Strike and it has no cooldown, so we can’t just slip it in our macro, we’re going to add another macro and rework things just a bit.

Also, the tool tip wording makes you think this is a straight buff to Elemental Strikes. It is not. It is a debuff to the mob you are fighting. As soon as that mob dies you have to restart the rotation for the next mob.

Builder 1
    #show Flamespear
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flamespear
    cast Frost Strike
    cast Shock Pulse
    cast Break Free
    startattack

builder 2
    #show Searing Strike
    Suppressmacrofailures
    cast Searing Strike
    cast Shock Pulse (is onlyhere for disconnects).
    cast Break Free

Action Bar:
    1: Builder 1
    2: Finish Macro
    3: Builder 2
    4: Interrupt
    5: Sergeant’s Order
    6: Shock Pulse

Rotation:
    1 > 1 > 5 > 1 > 2
    3 > 3 > 3 > 2
    3 > 3 > 3 > 2
    3 > 3 > 3 > 2
    3 > 2

So for longer fights you will need to go backto line one, but slightly different (since you don’t need to pull them in). 1 > 1 > 6 is what I would suggest, then back to finishers and builder 2.

This would also be a good place to get Karuulalerts setup if you haven’t done it already.
    Basically use it to show you active buffs and important cool downs.

Level 19: (1 Point)
    Put second point in Affinity.

Level 20: (1 Point)
    Put third point in Affinity.

I will update for the next ten levels soon.
    Last edited by Geopenguin; 05-25-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Beware the Penguin...

RIFT Guide Writer

Whilst it's great someone doing a detailed leveling guide a tip. Which is just my opinion so feel free to ignore.

It's a little bit too detailed. Don't tell people how to spend every point. Use a soul tree builder (such as http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#/) and just show the build at major junctures. Every 10 points should be sufficient.
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

Quote Originally Posted by ewarwoo View Post
    Whilst it's great someone doing a detailed leveling guide a tip. Which is just my opinion so feel free to ignore.

It's a little bit too detailed. Don't tell people how to spend every point. Use a soul tree builder (such as http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#/) and just show the build at major junctures. Every 10 points should be sufficient.
    I know, but I was also hoping to show the "why" I was doing something so that they could go on without me. I luckily got to learn from people like you and Steel and countless others. Plus this build won't last past 2.4 (if it makes it that far).
    Thanks
    Beware the Penguin...

Soulwalker

I am a new player to RIFT but familiar with MMOs and not a scrub to them. I like to ease my leveling pain by doing random ques for dungeons but I cannot find a decent tank leveling guide for Warriors anywhere.

What would you recommend for a tanking spec when it comes to leveling in the dungeons like that? Also, I am currently level 22.
    Last edited by Sweezy; 05-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweezy View Post
    I am a new player to RIFT but familiar with MMOs and not a scrub to them. I like to ease my leveling pain by doing random ques for dungeons but I cannot find a decent tank leveling guide for Warriors anywhere.

What would you recommend for a tanking spec when it comes to leveling in the dungeons like that? Also, I am currently level 22.
    Sorry, not a tank (prolly bad choice of naming). But for Warriors read Roughraptor's guides. Muspel has a guide for Rogues. Could not even guess on Clerics.

Warrior Tanks you need to learn all three. It all depends on what you run. If you can get in a good guild some of the guys are adept at helping you out.
    Beware the Penguin...

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geopenguin View Post
    Sorry, not a tank (prolly bad choice of naming). But for Warriors read Roughraptor's guides.
    Just for level 60. If you aren't 60, I can't give very accurate tank advice, sorry.

If you're that low just go Paladin and try to pick up Pacification. Go Reaver as a sub-soul for more armor since most things in the lower level dungeons do physical damage (mainly trash). Something along the lines of THIS.
    Last edited by Sedvick; 05-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.

I am finding out in the early level 20's is that this is not very survivable when you pull over three mobs (and barely get through 3). The attacks and buffs that make this very enjoyable soloing at level 60 are just not there.

If you built it a different way, putting all available points in Riftblade and any spare ones in Warlord, you wouldn't get any AoE until Earth Burst at level 20 and Fork at Level 21. Even then, they have gutted the spears so that the only thing you can viably fork is Flamespear until like level 54 when you get brospear.

So sorry, do not use this spec until you are level 60.
    Beware the Penguin...

Rift Chaser

Still good leveling spec to 20 ?

+ Reply to Thread