Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Introduction to Beastmaster

Ascendant

Default Introduction to Beastmaster

Introduction to Beastmaster

By Caelem <Last Attempt>
    (Carinae on forums)

Preface:

This guide is designed to show you how to be an effective BM in a raid. I have put some thought into most aspects of this. I will try to incorporate suggestions that people have for improving things. A large part of my motivation for writing this is that BM is not a simple spec. The complexity and lack of a guide likely prevents many people from trying it. The nice thing about BM is that most of your buffs are completely passive, you just play DPS and people get a boost.

Builds

All raiding builds start with 58 BM. There are no exceptions, anything less is a wasted raid slot, since you’ll lose more raid DPS/HPS than you gain from say going 48 BM.

Starting from 58 BM, there are plenty of different options. The highest DPS is probably 58 BM/18 Para for Flowing Strikes, this spec has zero ranged, so real raid performance will drop slightly more than 2 Temp variants. If you take 2 Temp, you’ll get a ranged builder/finisher which will allow to keep all buffs up from 100% ranged (useful in CQ/PvP, mainly). 8 Champ will give you Mark of Inevitability, a good armor debuff. With 6 Ch you pick up an AoE bleed in Savage Sweep. At 12 CH, you get an AoE builder, Mighty Blow. 7 RB gives you Surging Energy which basically solves any energy issues.

As a starting point, 61 BM/10 RB/5 CH is a solid build that will produce consistent numbers. There is no “right” BM build, each has advantages and disadvantages. Find something that works best for you and your raid. The 61 pt BM ability is likely the best use of 3 pts, so I lean towards 61 BM builds, excluding 18 Paragon. I’ve included a few good starting points, but I’m not sure these are fully optimized.

I’m currently using the 61BM/13 CH/2 TP variant, because my guild found it best to have the BM keep up the armor debuff. All of the high DPS builds are within RNG variation of each other. This is because you can’t BM in a non-raid without being energy starved at ~2 min, making it hard to get detailed conclusions about builds.

Base build:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#5raGFklaGGGg//

Build variants (ordered by DPS)
    Likely highest DPS, power starves (58 BM/18 Para):
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#5raGFklaGGGg/38hqw/2
    This is probably the highest DPS variant, until it power starves. Rising Waterfall hits almost exactly the same as Vicious Blow, so you’ll want to toss it in the macro for the +10% AP/Weapon boost.

Recommended build - High DPS & good energy (61 BM/10 RB/5 CH): http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#5kGGBhkGGGF0/2gE/7g
    Probably 1-2% lower DPS, much more energy stable. Will likely outperform 58/18, in most raids, due to Flamespear, better mobility, and no energy issues.

Range, good energy, high DPS (61 BM/10 RB/5 TP):
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#5kGGBhkGGGF0/2gE/Vg
    Probably slightly less DPS (within RNG variation),

Mark of Inevitability and range (61 BM/13 CH/2 TP or /2 Para):
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#5kGGBhkGGGF0/7gL4/Vq
    About 10% behind the top builds, but you get Mark of Inevitability, so there may be a raid benefit.

Standard Beastmaster Buffs:
    These buffs are mostly shared with a combination of Bard/Archon buffs. For general raid composition, you’ll want a Bard and a BM or Archon (but not both)

Bond of Alacrity -- 15% Movement speed Aura (equivalent to Bard’s Anthem of Competency)
    Bond of Power -- 70 Str/Dex/Int/Wis Aura (equivalent to Archon Vitality of Stone)
    Bond of Shelter -- 2000 Armor Buff, +65 Resist (equivalent to Arcane Aegis, Anthem of Glory)
    Call of Blood -- +5% crit buff (equivalent to Archon Earthen Barrage)
    Call of Savagery -- +5% damage buff (Equivalent to Archon Volcanic Bomb)
    Call of the Forest -- 7% faster attack/cast speed (Equivalent to Burning Purpose)
    Call of Kinship -- Really weak heal, use it anyway
    Call of Stone -- 5% reduced incoming damage (equivalent to Motif of Tenacity).

The calls are buffs on you that trigger temporary effects automatically when using a finisher. This is why 2 Tempest is good, you can use Skyfall at range to keep all the buffs rolling. This isn’t a major concern though, since these buff last 30s and you should be hitting a finisher every 4.5s. Its mainly relevant for PvP, where standing in the front is a death sentence.

Unique Beastmaster Buffs:
    Excluding Command to Attack, these are the unique things that a BM brings to a raid.

Enrage -10s duration, 1 min CD - +5% damage, +5% crit, +10% Crit Power
    This is big unique buff, and is largely the reason for using BM. You’ll want to time this with other buffs such as Wild Growth and Command to Attack. Should be used on basically on CD, only delaying to time with specific burn phase mechanics as needed.

Command to Attack -- +15% AP/SP -- 30s, 2 min CD, 5 min debuff
    The Beastmaster version of Flaring Power, you’ll want to time Enrage with this. Usable twice on most encounters.

Command to Stand Ground -- +25% Max Health, +10% Armor/Resist -- 30s, 2 min CD, 5 min debuff
    Secretly this is one of the best cooldowns to help your raid get through that last bit. Good examples are surviving a high energy discharge on Gelidira. I typically only use this once per encounter to ensure that its off CD when needed.

Command to Recover -- +15% healing to the raid -- 30s, 2 min CD, 5 min debuff
    A nice little boost to help the healers in the last phase of a fight. I typically only use this once per encounter to ensure that its off CD when needed.

Basic DPS macros/key-binding:
    These are the macros I use to help make this playable. I’m sure they’re not optimal, but they work well, and produce good DPS. A more advanced optimal rotation is listed at the bottom of the guide, courtesy of Warborne. The main thing to remember with BM is that a you need to have room in the rotation for potentially keeping Spotter's Call up on multiple mobs, and using the other CD abilities.

These strategy does not provide detailed control over oGCD usage, and can lead to power starving. If you’re having starvation issues, try the more advanced mechanics below.

Macros:
    Spoiler!

Basic DPS Idea:
    Basically, get all your Bleeds up and keep them up. I use Karuul Alert to monitor TS and CS and refresh as needed. Right before a disconnect, I highly recommend refreshing CS, you don’t want those stacks dropping.

M1 (starts the pet attacking) -> CS -> FS -> TS
    CS -> M1x2 -> F1 (Fury Unleashed)
    CS -> M1x2 -> F1
    M1x3 -> F1
    At this point basically keep TS/CS up, and other than that M1x3->F1. If you have Tempest, its good to mix a Shock Pulse as needed to keep the AP/Weapon boost up. If you have RB, Flamespear is a small DPS gain, so keep it up if possible.

I suspect you could eke out more DPS with an optimized rotation (posted below). At the end of the day, I’m not sure how much. The macro is designed to try and get as many bleeds up as possible, and it produces acceptable results. This build is already hurting for keybinds, my goal was to get it down to a minimum number. The result is 3 Builders, 2 finishers + Skyfall.

I keep Fury Unleashed as a separate keybind so I can maximize it. If you don’t want to bother, toss it in F1, since you should have most of the bleeds up by then.

Just to give an estimate on where you should expect to be for DPS, you’ll be about ~30% behind your top DPS and in the middle between chloro’s and the lowest DPS. Basically, you’ll be very close to an Archon for DPS. The main advantage is that your raid will gain ~5% DPS over an Archon.

Pet Management:
    The pet AI is completely moronic. Make sure to disable the autocast Claw Swipe. The pet will refresh that every 3s, resulting in a DPS loss compared with just using Bite. Make sure Bite is set to auto-cast, otherwise the stupid cat will use his normal attack which hits about half as hard. Using “petcast Bite” doesn’t work since you have to time the button press perfectly since the ability won’t queue while on GCD.

Side note: Claw Swipe needs a 12-15 CD as opposed to the current 3s. That would actually make it usable.

BM and raiding:
    Beastmaster provides a nice DPS boost, while Archon’s main unique ability, Power Drain, provides a significant reduction to incoming damage. In general, Archon will excel in fights with large damage spikes that occur relatively frequently (every 30 sec or so). Beastmaster is best when you’re trying to hit a tight enrage timer or the fight doesn’t have predictable damage spikes.

FT
    Gelidra -- Works well.
    Zaviel -- Works well, Call to Stand Ground is excellent for surviving a long tower phase
    Twins -- Not recommended, no need for extra melee, Power Drain useful against Lightning Rage
    Crucia -- Archon for Power Drain on Orbital Strike

EE
    Progenitor -- Noticeable raid DPS boost
    Kain -- Noticeable raid DPS boost
    Goloch -- No significant advantage
    Matirarch -- Not recommended
    Regulous -- Maybe, depends on raid composition.

Karuul Alert:
    I use Karuul Alert to track DoTs and Spotter’s. I track the following things, CS, TS, FS, Spotter’s. I recommend giving yourself a 4-5s warning on CS, so you can hit a finisher and still refresh comfortably. You’re better off losing an extra tick than two GCDs putting up more stacks.

Karuul Alert Set Import:
    Spoiler!

More advanced DPS rotation macros:
    Courtesy of Warborne (co-developed with MealRain).
    For 61 BM/10 RB/5 CH build, other builds will be similar.
    I haven’t tested this, because I don’t have enough macro space or keys to actually use it. You will probably pick up 2-3% more DPS using this optimized rotation. The main advantage is you’re less likely to power starve, by having better control of the oGCDs.
    Flame Spear is about a +100 DPS (+1.5%) compared with using one more Vicious Blow.

Spoiler!

Gearing for BM:
    Your pet caps at 500 crit power, so once you get to about 450 CP you’ll want to focus on AP/crit. Crit% is significantly better than for other DPS builds, so more of a crit focused DPS set is likely optimal for BM. This is because your pet scales dramatically faster for crit power, so you want crit% to leverage that. If you build a AP/crit source engine and then use your regular DPS gear, you’ll probably be in a good place.
    Last edited by Carinae; 02-23-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

Very nice, thanks for posting. Only thing I would mention is that you may want to consider the uptime of Primal Lucidity to be a higher priority, since it (to a lesser extent than Call of the Forest) increases your caster DPS and healing throughput. Don't know how much it would affect your personal DPS to do so though.

Also should mention that Spotter's Call is the same debuff as Illuminate, Coda of Jeopardy, and Thorns of Ire, it's easier to apply than the Coda but shorter in duration; above all just make sure you coordinate so only one person is casting this debuff on each enemy.

EDIT: It's usually a good idea to use Spotter's Call immediately on the enemy however, even if the Bard is going to keep it up after (they need 5 combo points to put up the coda)
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Ascendant

Default Minor updates until I get edit rights

Question 1: Who do I PM for edit rights?

Doing some more testing after talking with Warborne, I realized I missed something.

Armor penetration talents don't effect bleeds, so basically going beyond 5 into Ch is a pretty solid DPS loss.

Good spec with Mark of Inevitability (61 BM/8Ch/7RB)
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#5kGGBhkGGGF0/7mA/2gw
    The 7 in Riftblade can be used for either Surging Energy or Elemental Empowerment. I recommend Surging Energy since the extra oGCD for MoI makes energy issues even worse.

Grinnz ---
    I'll make sure to the Spotter's comments.

Primal Lucidity --
    I played around with the prioritization on this a bunch, and didn't reach any conclusions. It really only matters on the initial start. I like putting it a little later so that it tends to be up with Command to Attack & Enrage. If your guild likes instant CDs, then you'll want to move it up in the macros/rotation.
    Last edited by Carinae; 02-24-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Carinae -- Mage Alt

Quote Originally Posted by Carinae View Post
    Primal Lucidity --
    I played around with the prioritization on this a bunch, and didn't reach any conclusions. It really only matters on the initial start. I like putting it a little later so that it tends to be up with Command to Attack & Enrage. If your guild likes instant CDs, then you'll want to move it up in the macros/rotation.
    The thing with Primal Lucidity and Surging Flare is that they only have around 60% uptime even when maximized. So if you ever delay it for anything else that's less total uptime on the boss of that buff, that's why I always recommend putting it at the start of the macro for Archons. Of course for BM the DPS rotation is much trickier, so it's just something to consider.

As for edit rights I'm not really sure who you can PM about it these days, you could maybe try Thorne25
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 02-24-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Great write-up, thanks for putting it up. As for edit rights, I hear flagging your 1st post and mentioning you want edit rights works.

Can you please provide a dps parse without any raid buffs? Just you and the pet.
    Steelwind Guardian Warrior
    DIVINE FURY Guild Laethys Server 4/4 TotDQ 4/4 FT 4/5 EE
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Riftblade Guide
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Tempest Guide

Still had whetstones from 10man, and was power starved without clover. Thats with my setup/rotation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introduction to Beastmaster-2013-02-24_222018.jpg  
    Last edited by Bloodbourne; 02-24-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    The thing with Primal Lucidity and Surging Flare is that they only have around 60% uptime even when maximized. So if you ever delay it for anything else that's less total uptime on the boss of that buff, that's why I always recommend putting it at the start of the macro for Archons. Of course for BM the DPS rotation is much trickier, so it's just something to consider.

As for edit rights I'm not really sure who you can PM about it these days, you could maybe try Thorne25
    the difference in up/downtime on PL, is so small in raid, you're looking at a 0.3% variance in DPS... which is far less than RNG.

Also, the rotation Rain and I came up with to maximize uptimes on all abilities was roughly 2minutes long... and allowed for no mishaps. (or spotter's)
    Last edited by Bloodbourne; 02-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    Still had whetstones from 10man, and was power starved without clover. Thats with my setup/rotation.
    I'm right around the same place, minus wetstones - 7400-8100 depending on rotation.
    Last edited by Iadar; 02-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Riemann <Decimation> - 60 Warrior of Deepwood
    Magnos <Decimation> - 60 Mage of Deepwood

Nice write-up, thank you for the effort! After reviewing the 61/10 RB/ 5 Champ rotation, got a question, the rotation is pretty much this, if I transposed it correctly (with spam being Vicious Blow macro) :

Starting:

Spotter's Call
    Cutting Slash x 2 -> Fierce strike -> Flamespear -> Cutting Slash -> Tearing Slash

1st Rotation:

Spam x 3 -> Brutal Strike
    Fierce strike -> Flamespear -> Cutting Slash -> Tearing Slash
    Command to Attack
    Enrage x 3 -> Fierce strike -> Flamespear -> Cutting Slash -> Tearing Slash

Maintain:
    Fierce strike -> Flamespear -> Cutting Slash -> Tearing Slash
    Enrage x 3 -> Fierce strike -> Flamespear -> Cutting Slash -> Tearing Slash

etc.
    Wouldn't it be better to micro manage flesh rip as it will be clipped since it's 21seconds and you'd refresh it (assuming lucky pet crits) every 15s or so?

One question though, does anyone know why bard and archon versions of Bond of Shelter are auras, where as the BM one is a buff? It's not a big issue, but it is slightly annoying.
    Last edited by Plaza; 03-02-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    http://i.imgur.com/vIw2WpW.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza View Post
    Nice write-up, thank you for the effort! After reviewing the 61/10 RB/ 5 Champ rotation, got a question, the rotation is pretty much this, if I transposed it correctly (with spam being Vicious Blow macro) :

Wouldn't it be better to micro manage flesh rip as it will be clipped since it's 21seconds and you'd refresh it (assuming lucky pet crits) every 15s or so?

One question though, does anyone know why bard and archon versions of Bond of Shelter are auras, where as the BM one is a buff? It's not a big issue, but it is slightly annoying.
    As I tell everyone, if you want to micro manage BM, go buy yourself a gun and a bullet, as you'll need it. My version is the MANAGABLE rotation. The clip on the bleed in question is generally 3seconds. Sometimes less. It's really not worth it to micro manage this spec, there is just too much. The rotation allows for several Spotter's to be used (adds) and of course your Commands, without allowing the bleeds to fall off.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza View Post
    Assuming you don't have energy issues, using Flesh Rip on CD is a straight DPS gain. It's oGCD and the base damage on hit makes it a DPS gain, even if you're clipping the bleed.
    Carinae -- Mage Alt

USN

A key to raiding is to always be versatile. I greatly appreciate this guide. I've been messing around with BM, but it's great to have someone compile the information. Kudos ^,^

Ascendant

After playing more with the 10RB/5CH variant, I'm leaning towards the Tempest version not being needed.

One of the main tweaks is using a disconnect to refresh things like Spotter's Order and Flamespear. This provides a way to to be disconnected for 2-3 GCDs without a significant DPS drop. Also, its good to refresh Cutting Slash right before a disconnect.

My thoughts on target swapping:
    I've found target swapping to be a huge loss, although it depends some on the situation. In any sort of quick burn situation, target the add, hit Spotter's then go back to your original target (if possible). Basically, your time on target needs to be >15sec to justify switching. This is because the ramp time on getting all the bleeds up means you do an insignificant amount of damage for the first 5-10 sec. Obviously, you would still switch in cases where the original target has a damage reduction mechanic.

I'm curious to hear other people's perspective though.
    Carinae -- Mage Alt

Ascendant

It looks like there's a bunch of changes coming on the PTS. I will make a new post for 2.3 when the changes go live.

Overall, its going to be a nice gain for BM. Claw Swipe is usable, Fierce Strike and Brutal Strike will both function as ranged attacks, and a bunch of other tweaks.

One other thing, would people be interested in seeing BM added to the DPS calc?
    Carinae -- Mage Alt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast