+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [2.1] "Light Warrior" - Paladin Tank

Rift Master

Default [2.1] "Light Warrior" - Paladin Tank

I didn't see an actual guide for this (although like the old Geico commercial, so simple a caveman could do it. No disrespect intended to any cavemen who play RIFT) so I wrote one up the other day.

This guide is based on RoughRaptors 2.1 Warrior Tank Guide

The spec: 58 Paladin/18 Void Knight/0 Tempest

Since Touch of Life and Life's Rapture share cooldowns, and Life's Rapture does what ToL does and more, you could even drop the point in ToL and put it in Martial Shield to maintain 58 points in Paladin.

Introduction:

For Warrior tanks there are three roads that can be taken: deep VK, deep Reaver, or deep Paladin. Of the three VK provides the most utility (and higher DPS) but has the least mitigation, deep Reaver has the highest magic mitigation but can be cumbersome to play (and IMHO it feels very clunky), and deep Paladin has the highest physical mitigation and is super simple to play. This guide goes over the deep Paladin tank, which is the preferred choice for tanking raid bosses. For 5-man content I usually run the VK build unless I'm with a bad healer and need the better cooldowns.

What it brings:

* High physical mitigation
    * Extremely simple to use
    * Feels very fluid as a tank, reminiscent of WoW's Protection Warrior
    * An immediate 100% self heal and 100% group heal over 6s
    * Great (and short!) cooldowns

Weaknesses:

* Less magic mitigation than deep Reaver
    * Not having a pull (e.g. Rift Summon) makes 5-man content more challenging; you can swap Tempest for Warlord to get Sergeant's Order, but still.
    * Boring playstyle

Gear:

Sword and board with full tank gear. 300 Hit/Toughness for expert dungeons, 400 Hit/Toughness for raids. Gear priority should be high Endurance and Block.

Macros:

ST Builder
    #show pacifying strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast pacifying strike
    cast light's reprisal
    cast light's vengeance
    cast retaliation
    cast shock pulse

Shock pulse is here for times when you are out of range; it also means you can press this macro once at range as a pull

ST Finisher
    #show light's benediction
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast light's benediction
    cast light's reprisal
    cast light's vengeance
    cast retaliation

AOE Builder
    #show light's decree
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast light's decree
    cast sweeping strike
    cast pacifying strike
    cast light's reprisal
    cast light's vengeance
    cast retaliation

(For AOE Finisher use the ST Finisher above)

Healing
    #show light's blessing
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast @mouseoverui light's blessing
    cast @mouseoverui light's balm
    cast light's balm
    cast light's balm

Other Abilities to have on your bars:

Face Slam: Interrupt; required for some bosses and good to have just in case DPS get tunnel vision.

Spellbreaker: Self-cleanse; use when needed to remove a nasty debuff

Shield Throw: Single target taunt (and IMO the coolest looking taunt in the game)

Judgment: AOE Taunt

Light's Domination: Frontal AOE stun for 3s. Great to use on a group of mobs after you have them grouped up as it means 3s of not taking damage and 3s where you can ensure you have threat.

Reverent Protection: Absorb on up to 5 party/raid members, but honestly the absorb value is so low that I don't even bother using this anymore. Maybe if Trion ever scales absorbs properly this could be useful to help with partywide damage but as it stands right now it's so low as to be insignificant in any kind of group content.

Shield Charge: Need to get from Point A to Point B? Do it in style (and glowy angel wings for a second).

Light's Protection: Increases heals you receive for 12s; 1m cooldown. Use this before taking a large but survivable hit, or if you're down health and know that some damage is coming up (e.g. Foul Wind on Chekaroth) to help your healers top you off.

Shield Defense: Take 35% less damage for 10s; 1m cooldown. Use during heavy damage phases where you need damage reduction for longer than Aegis of the Light provides.

Aegis of the Light: Take 20% less damage for 4s; 30s cooldown. Use this often, but be sure to anticipate when it would be most needed and save it if necessary. This is also good to use on the pull so you start with damage reduction until you get your buffs up.

Touch of Life: Self 100% heal. Unfortunately this shares a cooldown with Life's Rapture, making Rapture better overall since it does this and also provides 10% damage reduction

Life's Rapture: Heal yourself for 100% of your health instantly, heals your raid (up to 10 people) for 100% of your max health over 6s AND provides 10% damage reduction on a 1m 30s (talented) cooldown. It's as good as it sounds.

Buffs:
    * Shield of the Hero
    * Shield of the Chosen
    * Enhanced Conductivity
    * Void
    * Accord of Resilience

If you're fighting a boss that doesn't do a lot of blockable damage, use Shield of the Vengeful in place of Shield of the Chosen for some extra DPS.

Playstyle:

Extremely simple. Refresh Aggressive Block approximately every 20s. Spam the builder macro (Single Target or AOE as the situation warrants). Use the Finisher macro. Use cooldowns as needed (remember it's always better to anticipate when you're taking a spike and save a cooldown than to waste it, but things like Aegis of the Light have a short cooldown so if you know you WON'T be taking a big hit before it's up again, use it)
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

RIFT Guide Writer RoughRaptorsOld's Avatar

This actually is the exact spec I have in my guide :-P

RIFT Guide Writer

But it is nice he added in a slightly re-orderred but functionaly identical verion of my "Utterly useless mouseover healing macro, but its there...."

I'd add tempest into your AoE builder BTW.

Also oGCD reactives should always be right at the bottom.

In fact use my macro's they're all round better, just replace discharge with shock pulse :P
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

Rift Master

Sorry RR I wasn't trying to claim the spec, just taking what you outlined and putting macros and such in it for the lazy tanks among us. Sorry if there was any confusion about that.
    Vaydron @ Threesprings

Leave the "thinking outside the box" part to the people who have raids on farm and are overgeared for content - RoughRaptors

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    Sorry RR I wasn't trying to claim the spec, just taking what you outlined and putting macros and such in it for the lazy tanks among us. Sorry if there was any confusion about that.
    Ah, k. For some reason I thought you somehow thought it was a different spec and was confused. I mean it's not like it's a hard spec to come up with as you said, I was just making you sure you knew it was the same spec :-D.

Default ty

Hey thanks a lot for this guide, am trying a warrior now in SL (only tried a beastmaster before the xpac) and was looking for a Paladin/ Hoplite guide

Sometimes its hard to find current build guides

Are those block reactives actually firing with zero-cooldown builders and finishers positioned first (ahead of them) in the macro?
    Still on my first coffee of the day here , forgive me if I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnlogic View Post
    Are those block reactives actually firing with zero-cooldown builders and finishers positioned first (ahead of them) in the macro?
    Still on my first coffee of the day here , forgive me if I'm mistaken.
    Reactives are off the global cooldown, meaning they fire between. While every other ability is still ticking the GCD, these are not.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    Reactives are off the global cooldown, meaning they fire between. While every other ability is still ticking the GCD, these are not.
    Oh yeah. I don't have a pally mix besides a pseudo-solo spec, where I've been macro'ing the block reactives pre-Pacifying Strike to allow 2-3 of them to fire within the 1.5s window, but I see the most efficient way is like you've indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnlogic View Post
    Oh yeah. I don't have a pally mix besides a pseudo-solo spec, where I've been macro'ing the block reactives pre-Pacifying Strike to allow 2-3 of them to fire within the 1.5s window, but I see the most efficient way is like you've indicated.
    oGCD abilities also have a 1.5sec ICD. Which means you can't do more than one every 1.5sec.
    Misterwar <-Virus-> 5/11 Warborne <Yakisoba> 5/11 Warborne <Apotheosys> 0/11

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    oGCD abilities also have a 1.5sec ICD. Which means you can't do more than one every 1.5sec.
    Yep, I was macro'ing that way probably in the sense that I was trying to give the block reactives 'priority' instead of firing another Pacifying Strike, which I was mostly using as a buff in a more AoE-focused solo spec.

Soulwalker

Really like this build. Life's Rapture is both a great heal and crazy threat generation when you need it =p

Definitely add Tempest to AOE macro, it does more damage than Sweeping Strikes (granted 10 vs 12 targets), does not share a cooldown and does Air damage vs Sweepings physical giving you variety to attack types. Spamming both is great AOE threat.

Does putting /cast Spellbreaker at the top of macros cause ability lag if it can't be cast everytime you press it? I can't seem to prove that it is or isn't in practice, anyone else got feedback on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaane View Post
    Definitely add Tempest to AOE macro, it does more damage than Sweeping Strikes (granted 10 vs 12 targets), does not share a cooldown and does Air damage vs Sweepings physical giving you variety to attack types. Spamming both is great AOE threat.

Does putting /cast Spellbreaker at the top of macros cause ability lag if it can't be cast everytime you press it? I can't seem to prove that it is or isn't in practice, anyone else got feedback on that?
    Spellbreaker in a macro is a big no-no all together. Never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Spellbreaker in a macro is a big no-no all together. Never do it.
    Thought they'd pretty much gotten rid of macro lag. I'll be honest, I've not had any issues macro'ing Spellbreaker.
    Lemming (formerly Mrhyde@Belmont), Guild Leader of Black Company on Greybriar
    We are Black Company ~~~ See our recruitment thread!

THIS IS HOW I ROLL
    Raids Mon/Tue/Thur 5:30 server time, 9/9, 2/4, 1/3, 1/3

Quote Originally Posted by Redius View Post
    Thought they'd pretty much gotten rid of macro lag. I'll be honest, I've not had any issues macro'ing Spellbreaker.
    But there's no point to, it's a waste of a GCD 99% of the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast