+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Updated "Perfect Solo" build for leveling 50-60

Default The Updated "Perfect Solo" build for leveling 50-60

I recently returned to Rift after about a year's hiatus. Due to the 1.11 update and Storm Legion expansion, my old Riftblade/Paladin soloing build wasn't viable anymore, so I went looking for a leveling guide. I found ewarwoo's "Casual Warrior Guides" thread, and noted that it included what he called "The Perfect Solo Build" with a hat-tip to this post by Steelwind for it.

I tried it out, following the advice in the guide of simply using the AE attacks since with the Champion skills they do nearly as much damage as ST attacks and cost less energy so you can be a little energizer bunny with it, but I was left quite underwhelmed. My rogue could kill an even level mob in 8-10 seconds, my mage and cleric could both kill even-level mobs in about 12-15 seconds, but my warrior was taking 20+ seconds for any fight. Granted, the fight took the same amount of time for ST or AE where the other callings would have AE fights take longer, but in Storm Legion the mobs are generally spaced out far enough that it's hard to get multiples at times and even when you can it's usually not more than 2-3 at a time either. As a result, I wanted a bit more single-target "oomph."

Thanks to ideas from TheGrinnz in this thread, as well as my play experience in SL, I went back and tweaked the "Perfect Solo" build to give it some more single-target dps while not losing any AE, nor much in the way of survivability (not that I've noticed, anyway). Frankly, I think that doing more dps increases the survivability since the mobs aren't hitting you for as long.

And now that the long-winded intro is out of the way, here's the build at level 50:

41 Warlord / 25 Champion / 0 Paragon

And here's the final build at level 60:

41 Warlord / 35 Champion / 0 Paragon

Run the following buffs:
    • Shared Suffering
    • Soldier's Bearing
    • Everything is a Weapon
    • Recovery Posture
    • Deadly Posture
    • Way of the River

If using a 2H weapon, use the Vampiric PA rune ability. If dual-wielding, IME I don't proc more using it on both weapons, so I use the +40 Attack Power rune on my off-hand weapon.

Macros are:

Single-Target Builder

#show Empowering Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast A Quick Death
    cast Empowering Strike
    cast Arterial Strike
    cast Piercing Thrust
    cast Weapon Defense

Single Target Finisher

#show Breaking Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Killing Field
    cast Breaking Blow

AE Builder

#show Mighty Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Mighty Blow
    cast Wave of Steel
    cast Arterial Strike
    cast Weapon Defense

AE Finisher

#show Killing Field
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Killing Field
    cast Bladefury

Some people report that using A Quick Death in a Single Target Builder macro causes macro lag, but I've never noticed any. YMMV, I suppose. I also put the ST ability Arterial Strike in the AE builder since it's Off-GCD so it really only serves to add combo points faster enabling more uses of Bladefury. As an added bonus, the mob it hits does go down noticeably faster too. And yes, the ST finisher includes the AE ability Killing Field -- it does excellent dps to single targets also. If you're worried about it pulling in adds, don't be -- your Mark of Inevitability already did that . . . .

Rotation is:

Weapon Defense -> Charge in -> Mark of Inevitability during the charge -> (nearly always) Finisher Macro -> Spam builder macro to 3 points (usually only 1-2 GCD's) -> Finisher -> repeat.

Cast Weapon Defense out of macro -- it's in the macros only to be automatically re-applied if it should fall off during a fight.

Depending on the number of combo points you already have choose either Into the Breach (for if you have 2-3) or Bull Rush (if you have 0-1). This makes it so that if you have even a single combo point before the battle, you can simply charge in, then immediately hit your finisher. Only if you have no combo points at all do you charge, then build 1x, then finish.

Be sure to cast your Mark of Inevitability while you're mid-charge in order to debuff the mob's armor and to make you do 15% more damage to it on top of that.

If you know it's going to be an AE fight or if your Mark of Inevitability pulled in adds, simply use the AE macros instead. After you hit level 57 you'll have Cornered Beast and can use it as a builder in AE fights as well. This also procs a ton of Recovery Posture healing as well, so it will help survivability in AE fights there too.

Overall Pros:
    • Nice burst dps for about 30 seconds before it starts to starve of energy
    • Arterial Strike and Piercing Thrust/Wave of Steel all are Off-GCD and grant an attack point, plus they proc off different conditions, making it possible to get 3 combo points in a single GCD
    • Good survivability vs 3-4 mobs

Overall Cons:
    • It will start to be energy starved after about 30 seconds, so sustained dps is lower. This can be an issue vs mini-boss elites that you sometimes have to kill for quests or if you forget to swap to a dps role vs zone event bosses or something
    • More than 3-4 mobs at a time gets very "interesting" -- good use of "No Permission to Die" and Health potions is essential in that situation. One could put a point in Chains of Life and use that for a finisher to buy some time, but my experience was that it didn't heal enough to matter, so I now focus only on dps abilities instead

Damage Examples:

Level 54 ST
    Level 54 AE - this was vs 1 regular and 5 "weak" mobs and you can see that the damage taken exceeded the heals done, so I finished the fight at about 60% health.
    Level 55 ST
    Level 55 Sustained -- note that while it's lower than the initial burst, it was still 2nd on the parse for a 10-man raid vs a zone boss for over 3 minutes, so take that for what you will.

Of course these are outliers where I got a lot of crits and thus did "better" than normal. Typical fights are 9-11 seconds and about 4100-4300 dps. This is in crafted and dropped greens with no augments on the crafted pieces and no runes. Yes, I'm bad and haven't bothered to rune up my gear as I level.

But there you have it. A very fun leveling build that focuses on ST dps while still being survivable and decent in the AE dept too. Plus with the 2 charge abilities on 10 second cooldowns it can close gaps fairly well at need. I hope that you find this useful. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by pkudude; 01-14-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Bad typo!

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by pkudude View Post
    Overall Pros:
    • Nice burst dps for about 30 seconds before it starts to starve of energy
    • Arterial Strike and Piercing Thrust/Wave of Steel all are Off-GCD and grant an attack point, plus they proc off different conditions, making it possible to get 3 combo points in a single GCD
    • Good survivability vs 3-4 mobs

Overall Cons:
    • It will start to be energy starved after about 30 seconds, so sustained dps is lower. This can be an issue vs mini-boss elites that you sometimes have to kill for quests or if you forget to swap to a dps role vs zone event bosses or something
    • More than 3-4 mobs at a time gets very "interesting" -- good use of "No Permission to Die" and Health potions is essential in that situation. One could put a point in Chains of Life and use that for a finisher to buy some time, but my experience was that it didn't heal enough to matter, so I now focus only on dps abilities instead
    At the moment I'm leveling my rogue as night blade, and finding that very interesting. I think reading that its similar to this. Single mobs same level I take down in between 5 and 7 seconds. But AoE is pants and it feels like its still taking 5-7 seconds per mob with some very dicey moments so I tend to stick to ST.

By contrast most of the way through leveling both my warriors killing single mobs was slow, but as you say yourself, its 20s per mob or 20s for 10 mobs, it makes no difference.

Mobs can be grouped up for AoE. Some pulls allow it, some pulls don't. And I think overall there's no real speed advantage going either way (except those rare but special moments where you complete a carnage in 2 pulls).

I will say I would be very reluctant to include 3 oGCDs in a macro. 2 will get you energy starved, 3 will get you energy starved very quickly.

Overall however nice build. I think it follows some similar principles to king maker on blue dots, may be worth a read though I've only really glanced over it, far too complex for my liking for a solo build:
    http://bluedots.org/content.php?294-...Ch-0-Reaver%29
    Rumpunch (W) - Rumedy (C) - Chaos Inc of Laethys
    Rumbelina (W) - Rummstein (R) - Rumic (M) - Seraphim of Laethys
    My warriors be mostly using......

Done a lot of leveling with this kind of spec.
    But not having a range attack sucks, especially for leveling/questing/whatever. Pulling/"tagging" multiple mobs at decent range is a breeze with Shock Pulse. I'd take Tempest over Paragon any time for the filler soul. QoL > 3% crit - at least for leveling.

In the end I even went so far to go 2 Points into Tempest at 60 to get a range finisher. I'd never ever change back to 0 Paragon.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by mhaze View Post
    Done a lot of leveling with this kind of spec.
    But not having a range attack sucks, especially for leveling/questing/whatever. Pulling/"tagging" multiple mobs at decent range is a breeze with Shock Pulse. I'd take Tempest over Paragon any time for the filler soul. QoL > 3% crit - at least for leveling.

In the end I even went so far to go 2 Points into Tempest at 60 to get a range finisher. I'd never ever change back to 0 Paragon.
    Spam Mark to pull and use SO for casters. That's all the range you need.

Spam Mark to pull and use SO for casters. That's all the range you need.
    I disagree. For levelling purposes a 3% crit buff is a joke compared to be able to pull/tag/dmg/build ap from a larger distance. I simply found pulling with Mark isn't good enough at times. I really wouldn't reject that 3% crit if it wasn't worth it.

Im in the same situation like the OP. Returning to rift after more than one year.

Awesome build, thanks alot.

Quote Originally Posted by ewarwoo View Post
    I will say I would be very reluctant to include 3 oGCDs in a macro. 2 will get you energy starved, 3 will get you energy starved very quickly.
    Piercing Thrust and Wave of Steel share a cooldown, have not tried Arterial Strike personally.

RIFT Guide Writer

One thing you can improve on with this build is to pick up Savage Sweep.

Tooltip value is already higher than Mighty Blow, but considering how bleeds are doing double damage at the moment it's "way" more dmg than Mighty Blow.
    4/4 Grim Awakening (US-First) 3/3 Infinity Gate (World-First) 5/5 Planebreaker Bastion (World-First)
    Legendary Pokemon Captured: Greenscale (World-First) Akylios (US-Second) Laethys (World-First) Maelforge (World-First and only pre-nerf)video
    Officer of <Vendetta>

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    One thing you can improve on with this build is to pick up Savage Sweep.

Tooltip value is already higher than Mighty Blow, but considering how bleeds are doing double damage at the moment it's "way" more dmg than Mighty Blow.
    not at home right now, but i think there maybe a reason why people put in mighty blow versus savage sweep in champ builds. haven't looked in my champ tree in awhile but all rotations i got use mighty blow as filler. could be wrong though, meaning the wl/champ farm spec needs to be updated.
    Last edited by DemonRage; 01-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I die you are forgiven...."

"If I live, I will kill YOU"
    such is the rule of honour.

RIFT Guide Writer

Simplicity. Who wants to manage dots in a solo build?

Simplicity. Who wants to manage dots in a solo build?
    *cough* a cleric *cough*

So i looked at it and it does more dmg but is a dot, MB is not and is spammable. And most time MB is used as a builder, so subbing in 1 SS for MB yes, Subbing SS for MB overall as a builder...NO. And just like ewarwoo said, its a solo build, not gonna stare at dot duration when i just wanna flatten mob and move on.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I die you are forgiven...."

"If I live, I will kill YOU"
    such is the rule of honour.

RIFT Guide Writer

Yes because opening with the dot and then moving to MB spam is so difficult.

I see how you warriors are
    4/4 Grim Awakening (US-First) 3/3 Infinity Gate (World-First) 5/5 Planebreaker Bastion (World-First)
    Legendary Pokemon Captured: Greenscale (World-First) Akylios (US-Second) Laethys (World-First) Maelforge (World-First and only pre-nerf)video
    Officer of <Vendetta>

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    Yes because opening with the dot and then moving to MB spam is so difficult.

I see how you warriors are
    Warriors very AoE heavy. Killing 1 or 10 still takes the same amount of time, and its long enough that spamming SS once would be an ineffective use of a point

RIFT Guide Writer

Warriors very AoE heavy. Killing 1 or 10 still takes the same amount of time, and its long enough that spamming SS once would be an ineffective use of a point
    What the?

have you seen how much damage it does?
    Officer of <Vendetta>

RIFT Guide Writer

But on the way in there's 1-2, 3 tops mobs there. You then run round spamming your builder and / or mark to group up, the hit killing fields and cb, then get to spamming.

You'd have to break up that simplicity to get a SS in after gathering, and that's so much like hard work.

Solo builds are about the KISS principle. You spend a lot of time in them, make it low maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast