Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 2.3 Warrior Tank Guide

Default 2.3 Warrior Tank Guide

My guides are a more updated and formatted in MUCH better fashion here: http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas...r/warrior-tank I highly recommend using this in it's place. as it also has information that is left out in these guides.

I will no longer be updating these guides as class changes come out as I have to update them using the Rift Forums format AND the Riftscene format, it's simply a pain so I choose to do it on Riftscene. Go there for any changes, which will all be noted in the comments and in edits of this guide.

Note: I stream non-progression raids. If you are interested, it is twitch.tv/roughraptors

If you have any ideas on how to these specs better or any questions/discussion, feel free to PM me, message me in-game or ask here.

For a final message, just wanted to give a shout out to Atrius to say thanks for the work he has done to fix us, and the time he has personally spent with me and a couple others going over logs and ideas to change warrior tanks for the better.

61 VK/15 Paladin/0 Tempest (same as 2.0)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...RkGkz.xzsx.-11
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...RkGkz.q0sx.-11 <---dps VK
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...kz.c.eh00o.-11 <--- 2h Warlord VK

This spec is my personal favorite, it’s not the #1 mitigation in raw numbers, but when you compare it’s numbers to Paladin without pacts, it will come out ahead, especially considering the 10% healing modifier. I recommend this spec if you do not need a bunch of cooldowns. This spec is heavy dps as well and the rotation is explained below. I recommend the second spec listed here, as it will be significantly more DPS compared to the first one, with only a slight mitigation loss. If you’re a boss and have a relic 2h tank sword like I do, you can attempt the third spec!

A sidenote to this spec, do NOT use it on Crucia as you have about a 99% chance of wiping the raid during mind control.

Cooldown:
    Fusion of Flesh: Use when needed (almost dead or expecting a big hit) A shield for 75% of your max hp (OGCD)
    Power Shield: Use when expecting a big hit. A 20% mitigation boost for 4s, 30s CD.

Taunts:
    Airburst: AOE taunt
    Spark: ST taunt
    Void Summon: AOE taunt/pull/root, amazing ability for dungeons
    Rift Summon: ST taunt/pull/root, again, amazing for dungeons

Builders:
    Aggressive block: Maintain 100% uptime on this.
    Reckless Strike: This hits HARD with 10 pacts, main builder
    Shock Pulse: Ranged builder, use when running in so you don't need discharge and waste 3 pacts of precious mitigation
    Discharge: Ranged builder (uses pacts)
    Void Storm: AOE semi-ranged builder (uses pacts)
    Tempest: AOE builder
    Ragestorm: AOE builder

OGCD:
    Retaliation: Use after block

Finishers:
    Devouring Blow: Main finisher, great damage at 10 pacts
    Unstable Reaction: High damage 6 second channel, very nice to gain pacts extremely quick
    Rift Reversal: Reflects the next 3 spells
    Devouring Shield: Absorb shield, good if you don't need damage and want an extra ~2k shield every 3 AP

Utility:
    Shock Burst: AOE silence
    Shock: ST ranged silence
    Spellbreaker: Self cleanse of a curse, gain 1 pact, 15% magic mitigation for 2 seconds (use on cooldown when available)
    Spell Sunder: Purge the enemy, gain 1 pact. You can also purge nothing and gain 1 pact, but with 61vk this isn't really necessary at the rate of which you gain pacts.
    Rift Shield: Good for wasting pacts and absorbing some big hits (OGCD)
    Protective Shield: Good for wasting pacts and absorbing some big hits (OGCD)
    Spell Destruction: AOE purge/cleanse 1 min CD

Buffs:
    Shield of the Hero
    Accord of the Rift
    Accord of Power
    Accord of Resilience
    Accord of Shifting
    Unstable Void
    Void
    Enhanced Conductivity

What to do:
    Get to 10 pacts ASAP and spam reckless strike to get AP (or Tempest/Ragestorm/Void Storm if AOE). It's up to you what to do when you get 3 AP, either use shields, or devouring blow. Discharge/Shock Pulse at range. If you are aoeing, use Unstable Reaction, otherwise stick with Devouring Blow.

When pulling large groups, use Void Summon as it's incredibly efficient as a root/taunt/pull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

58 Paladin/18 VK/0 Tempest
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0c...xhuuRrGkks.-11

This is the #1 physical mitigation spec, although very boring to play. One thing to note is that the math is calculated at a full 10 pacts, which isn’t all the time, or even most of the time to be honest. After giving it some thought and using this build more and more, I’ve come to the conclusion that this spec is probably a bit BELOW the others in terms of mitigation, but the massive cooldowns make up for this fact.

If you want to gain some more mitigation without reliance on pacts, use this:
    58 Paladin/18 Reaver/0 VK
    http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zzLueVzsVhvlesxhuuRrGkks

The only thing you need to note, is that you need to make sure to apply your Reaver buffs (Crest of the Abyss and Binding of Affliction) and to use Blood Fever for the avoidance bonus.

Cooldowns:
    Touch of Life: Instant OGCD full heal
    Life's Rapture: Instant OGCD raid full heal over 6 seconds and 10% mitigation. Currently it heals 100% of your health instant and heals your raid over time (bug) 1:30 CD.
    Light's Protection: Increased heals for 12 seconds, 1m CD (OGCD)
    Shield Defense: 30% less damage for 10 seconds, 1m CD (OGCD)
    Aegis of the Light: Use when expecting a big hit. A 20% mitigation boost for 4s, 30s CD.

Taunts:
    Shield Throw: ST taunt
    Judgement: AOE taunt

Builders:
    Aggressive Block: Keep it up 100% of the time
    Pacification: Your main builder, spam it for mitigation
    Light's degree: AOE threat and great ST damage
    Sweeping Strikes: AOE threat

OGCD:
    Retaliation/Light's Reprisal/Light's Vengeance: Use after block

Finishers:
    Light's Benediction: Your main finisher, it's what makes this spec great
    Reverent Protection: Pretty terrible aoe shield, use it if you want it

Utility:
    Light's Balm/Light's Blessing: Heal target for an amount, good for spot heals and is surprisingly very very useful. I find myself using these quite a bit to help with raid heals.
    Shield Charge: Charge, awesome damage as well

Buffs:
    Shield of the Hero
    Shield of the Chosen
    Void
    Accord of Resilience

What to do:
    Keep up Aggressive Block, Pacifying Strike, and Light's Benediction 100%. Use cooldowns as needed. That's...about it. Super boring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REAVER
    It has changed, refer to this link for the Reaver guide: http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas...8-paladin-2-2/

DO NOT ATTEMPT UNLESS YOU ARE OVERGEARED AND YOU HAVE A COMPETENT HEALER.
    Warlord/Paladin
    http://www.riftscene.com/guides/clas...nk-hybrid-2-2/

Finally for those interested and too lazy to do any basic sort of math, here are the benefits gained by the individual specs, not including gifts. I initially had a breakdown of all of the specs in comparison and then deleted it...too lazy to redo it :-D.

VK

6% block
    10% non-physical damage
    10% healing effectiveness
    40% attack power
    40% weapon contribution
    24% resist
    25% end
    11% armor
    10% non-spell mit
    26% spell mit

-----------------

Reaver

6% block
    5% hit debuff
    15% resist
    20% end
    11% armor
    12% non-spell mit
    36% spell-mit

-----------------

Pally (VK variation)

11% block
    3% damage reduction while blocking
    10% non-physical damage
    30% resist
    25% end
    14% armor
    11% non-spell mit
    26% spell mit
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 04-16-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Great work as always and enjoyed the 12/1 podcast.
    Steelwind Guardian Warrior
    DIVINE FURY Guild Laethys Server 4/4 TotDQ 4/4 FT 4/5 EE
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Riftblade Guide
    Storm Legion 2.2 61 Tempest Guide

Rift Disciple

yo rough, thanks for the write-up! one thing i would change personally, instead of putting 4 pts in reaver, put them all in vk. you gain 2% endurance and tempest, to lose 1% armor. also opens zero pt options such as tempest for another ranged ability or wl for a yank on trash
    Last edited by thak; 12-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thak View Post
    yo rough, thanks for the write-up! one thing i would change personally, instead of putting 4 pts in reaver, put them all in vk. you gain 2% endurance and tempest, to lose 1% armor. also opens zero pt options such as tempest for another ranged ability or wl for a yank on trash
    The 4 points in Reaver get you 7% armor over 2% endurance and a free 0 slot.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 12-12-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Rift Disciple

but you gain 6% armor from vk, so its only a 1% loss

Oh...Yeah I overlooked that, you might be right :-D. Thank you. I forgot they buffed it from 3% to 6%.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 12-12-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Changed it, thank you :-D.

As a sidenote, our 1m cooldowns are bugged at the moment (yet to test, just heard), but the message to Atrius about it has already been sent.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 12-12-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Ascendant

Thanks for putting this together RR!

Overall, I'm pleased that we got something, and hopefully its better. I really like the idea of the new CD, and am glad to see it play out.

Is it just me or is VK coming back pretty far behind Paladin and Reaver with respect to spell mitigation?

VK
    ------
    24% resist
    20% spell mit

Reaver
    ---------
    15% resist
    36% spell-mit

Paladin
    ---------
    30% resist
    26% spell mit

So without a 10% healing bonus in Paladin or Reaver, it still seems like we'll be noticeably behind clerics/rogues? Maybe I'm missing something. Also, the anti-magic flavor tank soul is weak against magic?

Also, given the improved cleric CDs, it seems like we're still the worst tank by a reasonable gap. Paladin and Reaver really need that healing boost. We've gone from taking 10% more damage and 10% less healing to just 10% less healing.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Caelem -- Warrior Tank/DPS
    Carinae -- Mage Alt
    Greybriar -- <Last Attempt> 9/9 T1, 2/4 GA, 1/4 IG, 1/5 PBB

Rift Disciple

Excluding the obvious utility of the 30s cooldown, isn't 54pal/18vk/4rv technically the top mitigation spec? It's 7% armor ahead of 58/18/0... ;o

Rift Disciple

7% armor vs a nice situational cd. your choice

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    Excluding the obvious utility of the 30s cooldown, isn't 54pal/18vk/4rv technically the top mitigation spec? It's 7% armor ahead of 58/18/0... ;o
    Yeah, it would be, but you definitely want that cooldown in there. I guess if you're taking a ton of physical hits that aren't predicable and it wouldn't be helpful to have a cooldown on it would be better, but you would want a cooldown available for just about everything. Up to you in the end.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 12-12-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Rift Master

Great guide. Is there one spec in particular you would recommend for general expert tanking? Guessing it's a choice between Reaver and Pally since you said VK needs outgearing. Are Pally and Reaver roughly equal now for both ST and AOE?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    Great guide. Is there one spec in particular you would recommend for general expert tanking? Guessing it's a choice between Reaver and Pally since you said VK needs outgearing. Are Pally and Reaver roughly equal now for both ST and AOE?
    Pretty much, Paladin for physical and Reaver for spell. Until I get word from Atrius I'm not going to post another spec which I have been using which is #1 out of everything.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 12-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Pretty much, Paladin for physical and Reaver for spell. Until I get word from Atrius I'm not going to post another spec which I have been using which is #1 out of everything.
    Did he survive the layoffs?

I believe the old 51Rv22Pl4Vk is still as good as the new 58Rv despite of the new cooldown. 51Rv has Paladin ToL and quite a bit higher resistance and armor mods and should have the highest base mitigation of all war builds.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast