7. Current Party & Raid Content *NEW*
    8. Caps
    9. Planar Attunement
    10. Builds & Macro's
    11. Debuff Priority
    12. Useful Links
    13. Thanks

Hi, and welcome!

I guess as its a introduction I should introduce myself, I'm Nazalit, born 2 days into the pre-release head-start event on the Cinderon shard (now a trial shard). I moved to Blightweald a few months later where a few friends and I merged into a guild called "Elysium", clearing all raiding content pre HK release.

After sometime there, I moved to Bloodiron were I found myself main tanking for a guild called "The Convicted". Clearing 10/11 HK before any nerfs were implemented and started on akylios progression. Unfortunately things took a turn for the worse and akylios wiped us irl. After taking a short break (5-6 months) I'm back and I cant find anything on these bloody forums, which lead me to this guide thingy I've made for everyones viewing pleasure.

I've designed it to be useful for everyone. New tanks, old tank, bad tank, good tanks and ofcourse TNAKS. Feedback is welcome and encouraged and I will try to answer any question anyone has, no matter how silly the question may be.

Note : All these [spoiler]'s look horrible but it was purely to save space and break it down abit as I hate seeing posts that are just one long wall of text.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. The Art of Tanking

This section focus's on a few of the key things that make us tanks & a little insight to how they work. It also touches on some things rarely discussed within the tanking circle.

Threat

Spoiler!

Taunting

Spoiler!

Pulling

Spoiler!

Positioning

Spoiler!

Backpeddling & Keyboard Turning

Spoiler!

Be Loud, be Vocal

Spoiler!

Taking The Good With The Bad

Spoiler!

Not A One Man Army

Spoiler!

3. Mitigation & Stats

Passive Mitigation : Buffs or stats that grant a 100% chance at reducing damage, they do not avoid damage but only reduce it. An example of passive mitigation is your Armor, Reavers Binding of Death ability & your Resistance to spell magic damage.

Avoidance : Avoidance stats are Dodge, Parry, Chance to be Missed & Chance to Resist Magic Damage via Resistance. All of these abilities completely remove all incoming damage and the effect of the abilities but it generally has a low chance and can be unreliable at times.

Block : Block is in a league of its own. Its a chance like avoidance but only reduces the damage by its absorb amount like passive mitigation. Due to the high amount of block we can achieve through equipment & other means we usually have a lot of this. Its not until we start to reach the soft and/or hard cap for block (see Caps) that we will stop stacking it.
    • You cannot Block or Parry attacks from behind
    • You can Dodge attacks and be Missed by attacks from behind
    • You can Dodge, Parry, and be Missed by Ranged attacks

See stat weights below.

Spoiler!

4. Consumables

Endurance Vials - Heroic Enduring Vial or Mighty Enduring Vial
    Endurance Food - Ember Steak, Feast of Efficacy or Gravemaker Steak
    Healing Potions - Glorified Healing Potion or Mighty Healing Potion
    Resistance Vials - Water, Fire, Earth, Air, Life & Death
    Small Cool-down - Revitalization Seed
    Shield - Razor Sharp Spikes or Earthen Shards (Tier 2 Earth PA)
    Main Hand - Storm Glyph (Tier 2 Air PA), Blazing Rune or Exquisite Whetstone

5. Soul Tree's

A brief look at the 4 main tanking tree's which give the "Gift" passive buff. Each tree gives the same amount of bonus and provided you have spent all your points in any of the tanking souls you will receive the maximum Gift buff. (50.16% HP increase, 19.5% Physical damage reduction & 25.08% non-physical damage reduction)
    Warlord
    Spoiler!
    Reaver
    Spoiler!
    Paladin
    Spoiler!
    Void Knight
    Spoiler!

6. Starting Up!

This section will mainly focus on helping achieve gear levels, hints & tips and general advice to progress into higher tier levels faster.
    If you are looking for a BiS list you can find it here and in the Useful Links section.

Ding! 50!

Spoiler!

Source Machine's / Sigil's

Spoiler!

Ready To Raid?

Spoiler!

7. Current Party & Raid Content

Everything has been put into order of difficulty (Easiest to Hardest). For guides on each encounter I suggest Rift Strats, the official forums & youtube.

Normals

- Level Range Requirement -

Spoiler!

Experts

- 120 Hit & 100 Toughness Requirement -

Spoiler!

Tier 1 Content

- 220 Hit & 150 Toughness Requirement -

Spoiler!

Tier 2 Content

- 320 hit & 200 Toughness Requirement -

Spoiler!

Tier 3 Content

- 420 Hit & 250 Toughness Requirement -

Spoiler!

8. Caps

Hit & Toughness caps are fairly simple, in order to not miss a target at a certain tier level you will need the tier hit cap. In order to reduce the critical hit of a certain tier level to its normal damage (100%) you will need the tier toughness cap. Going above these caps will have no effect.

Block chance works a little differently. Ones you have the soft cap (includes raid buffs, not talents, abilities & self buffs) your block will suffer Diminishing Returns (DR). DR means you wont gain as much block from 1 point as you did prior to the soft cap. even though you will be losing out on block due to the soft cap it is still widely recognized that block is still the most desired stat until you have hit the Absorb hard cap (70%). Hard cap is self explanatory, you will not gain anything by going beyond it.

Block Absorb decreases per point of block by 0.00135% for every 1% absorb gained. this is ruff math but its either slightly lower or slightly higher but very close to the true value.

Resistance also works the same way as Block Absorb by decreasing the value when you get more. I have not narrowed down the number but it is so small it will not be a problem.

See caps below.

Spoiler!

*Disclaimer* : Exact numbers many not be correct but as far I know as of this post 25/04/2012 they are correct or there abouts.

9. Planar Attunement

Planar Attunement is an alternative advancement system introduced in Patch 1.5. Activated when a player reaches level 50, players earn experience points by questing, killing mobs and completing quests.

Each element currently has 2 tiers that are usable, you cannot open the 2nd tier until the 1st is complete. Although not 100% necessary, PA levels can be handy in end game raiding due to stat boosts and resistance increases. Each grid in a element provides +15 stats & 6 resistance. Here is a break down of what each tier provides for us as tanks if fully completed.

See Below.

Spoiler!

Tier 2 Air & Death also give special abilities that are great for tanks. Storm Glyph in the air tier will give you +30 strength on your main-hand & Vampiric Essence from death will give you a small self heal (they do not stack). Here is my suggested path of Planar Attunement levels.

Air (till Storm Glyph) -> Earth -> Life -> Fire -> Death -> Air (Finish) -> Water

The reason I suggest Air first is because the avoidance you gain from the Dexterity & Strength from Storm Glyph will out way the 16 Endurance you would gain from putting the points into a Endurance element
    (16 Dexterity + 30 Strength Vs 16 Endurance)

10. Builds & Macro's

Here are some of the most common builds you will see in 1.8 so far. Each build has a purpose and excels in its main purpose above all other builds, which is why we use them (Duh!). there are many other builds you can use but these 4 are recommended for pure tanks.

Max Mitigation With Warlord 4set
    38 Reaver / 20 Warlord / 8 Paladin
    Spoiler!

Max Mitigation Without Warlord 4set
    38 Reaver / 28 Viod Knight / 0 Paladin
    Spoiler!

Heavy CD Build
    44 Reaver / 22 Warlord / 0 Void Knight
    Spoiler!

Trash & Experts AoE Build
    26 void Knight / 20 Warlord / 20 Paladin
    Spoiler!

11. Debuff Priority

All player debuffs have been assigned priorities within their stacking groups. Less powerful debuffs should no longer overwrite the more powerful ones within each category - the order below does not indicate overwrite priority within a group.

See Below

Spoiler!

12. Useful Links

13. Thanks

Small section to thank select people or groups of people I may of linked to or possibly got some of the information from that I've used in this post (all of it found on public forums of course).

Trion for Rift
    Voodoo for Rift Strats & Rift Progression
    Rift Zam for database, PA builder & Soul Tree Builder
    Radak for being Radak
    MealRain for BiS Tank & Dps Spreadsheet
    And everyone else I should of mention but can't think of atm

Many Thanks

Nazalit

---> Take Me To The Top <---
    Last edited by Nazalit; 04-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Nazalit - Warrior - Tank - Retired(ish)
    Rank 32/40 - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GsB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 (Conq) - HK 10/11
    1.8 Tanking Guide & Information - Click Here

Updates - Dates & reason for edit -
    • 27/04/12 - Fixed a few spelling errors, updated Endurance stats to include the Gift buff & fixed the macro's for the "Heavy CD Build".
    • 27/04/12 - Added more information on Planar Attunement (Storm Glyph & recommend leveling)
    • 27/04/12 - Added "Current Party & Raid Content" section. Also fixed a few broken links
    Last edited by Nazalit; 04-27-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Soulwalker

Question to your "Heavy CD Build":
    How can you use all these Void Knight abilities with 0 Points in this Soul? Maybe your posted macros are for another specc?

Quote Originally Posted by xTension View Post
    Question to your "Heavy CD Build":
    How can you use all these Void Knight abilities with 0 Points in this Soul? Maybe your posted macros are for another specc?
    Correct, I have thank you for noticing. I will change them when I can edit the post.

Original Macros are wrong, here is the updated version

Heavy CD Build
    44 Reaver / 22 Warlord / 0 Void Knight
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Nazalit; 04-25-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Thumbs down

Very nice guide. Just a couple of corrections for you:

Fusion of the Flesh is only useful for non-physical abilities.
    A (better) heavy CD build is 44VK/16WL/8PL. This gives you TOL, Singularity, and Fusion of the Flesh. Only recommended if taking magical damage to proc FOF heals. Use with WL crystal or VK crystal depending on the fight.

If you are taking sustained magical damage, 44VK allows you to rotate through Singularity/HC/Singularity/FOF for 40-45s timers. With TOL for that OH CRAP moment.

Also, re: taunts. I cannot stress this enough. Taunts generate no aggro. You never said they did, but it's worth putting in the guide. Taunts put you at the top of the threat table. So if there is a person with 5 threat, you have 6 now. If there is a person with 5,000,000 - you now have 5,000,001. For this reason, you should never ever use a taunt at the start of a fight unless you absolutely have to (High Priest is a good example).
    Last edited by Sebb; 04-25-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
    Very nice guide. Just a couple of corrections for you:

Fusion of the Flesh is only useful for non-physical abilities.
    A (better) heavy CD build is 44VK/16WL/8PL. This gives you TOL, Singularity, and Fusion of the Flesh. Only recommended if taking magical damage to proc FOF heals. Use with WL crystal or VK crystal depending on the fight.

If you are taking sustained magical damage, 44VK allows you to rotate through Singularity/HC/Singularity/FOF for 40-45s timers. With TOL for that OH CRAP moment.
    Correct on the Fusion of Flesh description in the Void Knight section, there may be a few of these 4am brain farts in the guide and I apologies if this misleads anyone.
    I like the idea and i can definitely see the build work in a heavy non-physical encounter. Lacks a lot of passive damage reduction though due to no Reaver. If the admins ever let me edit the OP I will add this build in, thank you
    Last edited by Nazalit; 04-25-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Great guide. I am loving the layout of it!!!!111one!!111 (OCD about guides, i write a ton of em for my guild)

Should help new tanks a lot, as well as a great reminder/reference thread for veterans alike.
    Nice job!

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Rift Master

Thanks for this guide. Being a fresh 50 tank still gearing up for Experts I found this information very useful; every other guide seems to recommend the straight 38 RV/20 WL/8 PL build as the "one build to rule them all", is it worth looking at another build you have listed (the 38 Reaver / 28 Void Knight / 0 Paladin) since I don't have a Warlord 4pc? Again I ask only because your guide seems to be the only non-obsolete guide that recommends something other than the 38 RV/20 WL/8 PL build as being viable to use, so it threw me for a bit of a loop.
    Last edited by wayne62682; 04-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Soulwalker

A (better) heavy CD build is 44VK/16WL/8PL.
    This actually sums to: 44+16+8 = 68. 2 Points to much.
    I Like the idea of the 44 RV / 22 War / 0 Whatever, because you can change the 0 point soul for Void Knight (Magic heavy fights) or Paladin (10% Block). It's a pity to not have ToL, but it's not possible if we also want to remain the 4peace Warlord Bonus at all times.

Also, when i enter the specc in Rains Tank Gear Tab, the 44 RV / 22 War Mitigation is not that bad. It's better then 44 VK / 22 War, but worse than 38 RV. But it has the 35% dmg reduce.

One question on the side:
    Such a specc is usefull for tanking Murdantix alone, Garau because of the beam and maybe for the 2. Boss of ID? Some advice/comments would be really nice, because me and my guild will do our first steps in ID in the next days and i want to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne62682 View Post
    Thanks for this guide. Being a fresh 50 tank still gearing up for Experts I found this information very useful; every other guide seems to recommend the straight 38 RV/20 WL/8 PL build as the "one build to rule them all", is it worth looking at another build you have listed (the 38 Reaver / 28 Void Knight / 0 Paladin) since I don't have a Warlord 4pc? Again I ask only because your guide seems to be the only non-obsolete guide that recommends something other than the 38 RV/20 WL/8 PL build as being viable to use, so it threw me for a bit of a loop.
    Yes, if you haven't got the 4 set hammerknell warlord crystal bonus your best mitigation build is the 38rv/28vk/0pala. You can find the vendor that sells the hammerknell crystals & gear at Reclaimer's Hold in Moonshade Highlands. Remember you will need the hammerknell gear to unlock the crystals bonus.

I Like the idea of the 44 RV / 22 War / 0 Whatever, because you can change the 0 point soul for Void Knight (Magic heavy fights) or Paladin (10% Block). It's a pity to not have ToL, but it's not possible if we also want to remain the 4peace Warlord Bonus at all times.

Also, when i enter the specc in Rains Tank Gear Tab, the 44 RV / 22 War Mitigation is not that bad. It's better then 44 VK / 22 War, but worse than 38 RV. But it has the 35% dmg reduce.

Such a specc is usefull for tanking Murdantix alone, Garau because of the beam and maybe for the 2. Boss of ID? Some advice/comments would be really nice, because me and my guild will do our first steps in ID in the next days and i want to be prepared.
    it is 2 points to many, good catch. I might still be able to make a build with the general idea of having all them non physical CD's you can rotate but might reqiure some work.

I have no experience with ID atm as im playing casually for the time being but from what i hear the usual 38rv/20w/8pala build is enough for both the first bosses but i have heard of people using the 44rv/22wl/0vk build for ituziel aswell.

My fail

I usually run 44VK/22WL.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

My fail

I usually run 44VK/22WL.
    this makes more sense lol

Raid down time. Interested to see what it contains. I'll look over it tonight or tomorrow morning and throw my 2 cents in.
    Warrior BiS author
    Retired Theorycrafter
    GM and RL of Ronin

The Endurance stats in "Mitigation & stats" & "Planar Attunement" sections are not including the 50.12% health increase from the Gift buffs acquired from the 4 tanking souls. I will round the numbers as 0.12% is hardly worth accounting for.

Example

1 Endurance = 11 Health Poionts (No Gift, No Points Spent)
    1 Endruance = 16.5 Health Points (With Gift, 66 Points Spent)

I will make this clearer once I can edit the post.
    Last edited by Nazalit; 04-26-2012 at 01:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast