+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Thinking man's warrior PVP build (VK/RB)

Ascendant

Default Thinking man's warrior PVP build (VK/RB)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...uzz.tMs0dsMRzR

I've been having a lot of fun with this build. A lot. Of fun. It's sword/board (or 2hander if you want, there's no penalty), it's different, and there are several little hidden combo's that let you wrack up a lot of kills, and win a lot of 1v1 fights. This is the thinking man's Warrior PVP build, with good range and melee.

I think this may be the most complicated Warrior build, in terms of having a ton of abilities one 15 second - 1 minute cooldowns. This isn't a build for becoming a PVP God and topping Damage Done, though you can end up in the top five pretty easily and it has the same basic Burst characteristics as Zin's Ragestorm build, except about 25% less damage. However, it makes up for that by giving you much, much more defense.

For macros, I have an anti-magic, a root, a burst, a builder and a finisher. Then I have a few macro to spellbreak myself (essential for the 6 seconds of magic immunity) and arcane shield me, too. Then, there are four other useful finishers that need separate keybinds.

Antimagic:

cast spell sunder
    cast disrupt
    cast freeze armor
    cast soul pillage
    cast discharge
    cast flamespear
    cast spark

Root:

cast stonespear
    cast freeze armor
    cast spell sunder

Build:

Cast frost strike
    cast searing strike
    cast flamespear
    cast discharge
    cast spark
    cast freeze armor

Burst/AE:
    (use this after Enhanced Burst is set for a 20% boost. Can add in a loadequip macro to switch to 2hander for this)
    cast ragestorm
    cast tempest
    cast airburst
    cast thunder strike

Finisher:
    cast storm burst
    cast earth burst
    cast fiery burst

Anti-magic finisher:
    cast devouring strike
    cast catalyze

Save yourself:

target [name] (or learn the @self macro.. which I forget at the moment)
    cast spellbreaker
    cast stoneshield
    cast rift shield
    targetlasttarget
    -----

Strategies:

Against Warriors: Root, kite, port, snare, mash fiery burst. If they are a reaver/rb warrior, enjoy receiving your second bar of health via Fusion of Flesh. Use a shield. Spellsunder their buffs, and be ready to fight from range as much as possible. Between discharge, flamespear, stonespear, and spark you have decent ranged damage. Warriors are not your best target with this build. Ignore your VK side (but enjoy the extra armor, block and parry it brings) and focus on Fiery Burst. Also, you can run around just out of range of a warrior (or rogue) and spam tempest/ragestorm/airburst to get hits on your opponent while he cannot hit you. Also, don't underestimate Spell Sunder. For instance, riftblade builds heavily rely on their Planar Blade for power. Keep that buff off your target and you'll cut his damage output in half. This build gives you a lot of time to adjust and think because you've got high defense.

Against Rogues: Strip buffs, apply spell surge. Spell surge is death to rogues, who spam abilities. Fusion of Flesh is another tactic that works well here. If I can get a rogue to 50% health with my ranged attacks and melee spam, then spell surge usually handles the rest.

Against Mages: Build 3 AP, use Fiery Burst. Attack with Unstable Reaction. This will deal about 1500-2000 damage PLUS silence the mage. Unstable Reaction benefits from the 20% Enhanced Burst damage. I had a lot of wins in 1v1 PVP with this technique, especially in open-world fights. I think a lot of /lock builds tend to wait until their health is critical before they start healing, and this (along with the buff-stripping) tends to shut them down right about when they'd normally be healing. Constantly spellbreak yourself! It recharges every 15 seconds and gives you SIX SECONDS of immunity, meaning 1/3 of all spells will simply not work on you. This, along with Spell Shield, Void (20% spell reduction) and Avatar of Water (another 10%) you will have a long time to fight any mage you see.

Against Clerics: strip buffs often, and don't forget about your two silences. It's a really beautiful thing to see a Justicar cleric run into a big group of players expecting to survive for a while, then be silenced and stripped of buffs, dying in four or five seconds. However, once DR starts to set in, clerics can give you problems again. However, at the very least the silences and buff-removal gives you two effective tools to fight healing clerics that most other classes don't have, so you in addition to a straight DPS can bring down even the toughest cleric.

Against groups: People tend to leave you alone if you have a shield equipped, which is great when you're spamming waves of AE damage punctuated by 8-second silences on their back row. You can supplement this build with 13 points in Vindicator (taken out of VK) to make it a subdue build, but honestly I feel that the AE silence is just as useful and the other abilities you get make up for it, especially Fusion of Flesh.

Over un-even terrain: This build is the ultimate Codex defender because of the Rift Summon/Planar Blade combo. Every crit will reset your Rift Summon, so you can often spam the attack and pull 5-6 rogues/clerics/mages down from the cliff in Codex in a row, which really ruins their day when paired with a 8-second silence.

----

Anyway, this build isn't a min/max build, but one that gives you a lot of options to fight certain types of players. You get a lot of beautiful moments in which you completely decimate another player's strategies with a well-timed Spell Sunder or AE Silence, or a Rift Surge.

This build is ultra mobile, with rift summon and riftwalk constantly recharging due to Planar Blade. You have snares and roots, ranged damage, melee damage, and the best magic-resist of just about any soul combination in the game. This build is great for flag running in mage-heavy games because of spellbreaker/break free. I successfully ran Shards in Port Scion through 5-10 players by using Spellbreaker/Rift Shield/Fusion of Flesh and Avatar of Wind for the speed boost. Only marksmen pose a real threat to your health at a range, and you have heavy plate armor and a shield to help mitigate that. You can also fire off the only ranged-ae damage that warriors have available by sticking Storm Burst and Earth Burst to your ranged attacks and lobbing them into groups of enemies, building up your Damage Done.
    Last edited by nocks; 08-15-2011 at 06:47 AM.

thanks for posting, may give it a shot. I've used 51 VK in PvP for some time because the tools VK offers are just so handy, this is a nice blend of Damage, Survivability and Utility, can't wait to see how it performs.

Rift Disciple

Default Replenish.

You made no mention of it. Is it worth it? Is there a cd on it.

Reads like a pretty nice thing to have.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by malazan View Post
    You made no mention of it. Is it worth it? Is there a cd on it.

Reads like a pretty nice thing to have.
    I like Replenish. The heal is very minor - I get about 19 health per pact, and I have about 7.6k health with this build - but it's constant and it always comes. Every spellbreaker nets you 100-200 health, every spell sunder gets another 171 health, etc. By the end of a WF match I will have sometimes healed about 10k health, and while a lot of that comes from Fusion of Flesh, Replenish is still doing some good.

The main reason to get Replenish is that there are no better talents to invest in at that point, and this one does give you a little extra survivability. I haven't done the math, but it's probably something like 1%-5% health against a magic user.

Telaran

I'll be trying this when I get home. Looks interesting for mage heavy WFs.

Default When does Enhanced Burst start

Does Enhanced Burst kick in as soon as you use a Burst, or as soon as you hit with a burst?

which is proper:
    Storm Burst > Ragestorm > AP(Uses Storm Burst)
    or
    Storm Burst > AP (Uses Storm Burst) > Ragestorm

I've been watching for the Enhanced Damage buff on my normal RB spec, but never seem to see any 6s buff for the ability, so I wasn't sure.
    PVP: R8
    GSB 5/5 | RoS 4/4 | HK 4/10 | GP 4/4 | DH 4/4 | RotP 1/4

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by DJDischord View Post
    I'll be trying this when I get home. Looks interesting for mage heavy WFs.
    Definitely. I use a counterpart to this build for melee heavy WF's, which is 32 Paladin/34 Champion. But that's for another thread - this one is a gem for rogues/mages especially. You can tell it's strategically effective when you finish a warfront with relatively low damage, but high in kill-count. I rarely use this build to jump into big groups and let loose the AE fury, but you certainly can do that with this build.
    Last edited by nocks; 08-15-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    Does Enhanced Burst kick in as soon as you use a Burst, or as soon as you hit with a burst?

which is proper:
    or

I've been watching for the Enhanced Damage buff on my normal RB spec, but never seem to see any 6s buff for the ability, so I wasn't sure.
    I find the safest way to go, especially with Storm Burst, is to strike with an ability first, THEN use Ragestorm. Discharge is perfect for this, because it is instant and ranged. Frost Strike is another good choice because of its debuff, and also for its 10 second cooldown (easy to macro.)

That said, I gave up on trying to macro my entire burst chain. Instead I queue up the burst, strike with discharge etc, then go into Ragestorm/Tempest/Airburst - then I usually have the AP built up to let loose another Earth Burst, etc. Overall you can stack some pretty good damage, pretty fast. Enough to kill a mage or a marksman who isn't paying attention (or whose cleric is silenced) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post

which is proper:
    or

Hit with a burst.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post
    Definitely. I use a counterpart to this build for melee heavy WF's, which is 32 Paladin/34 Champion. But that's for another thread - this one is a gem for rogues/mages especially. You can tell it's strategically effective when you finish a warfront with relatively low damage, but high in kill-count. I rarely use this build to jump into big groups and let loose the AE fury, but you certainly can do that with this build.
    Too many builds. Not enough roles. Being in a small guild means I'm tanking and dpsing instances, but I focus pvp.. I need 10th damn roles to switch between.

Plane Touched

This is actually a REALLY fun build, and pretty damn good at pushing clumps of people around in WFs. The damage is pretty decent, so it's not as hamstrung in that department as a subdue build, but it can take a godawful amount of punishment as long as there's some healing going on. You can't overpower casters with damage like you can with a LW build, so you have to be smart with your silences. But nothing beats riftwalking into a group of casters in BG massed up to AE your team down, and 8 second silencing the whole mess of them and watching them scatter like chickens while you lay some AE hurt on yourself.
    Dagre - R8 Warrior, Deepstrike
    Vishanti - R4 Cleric, Deepstrike
    Malakai - R4 Mage, Deepstrike
    Valore - Not Yet 50 Rogue, Deepstrike

Plane Touched

In the original post when you mention fighting rogues the skill is Rift Surge, not spell surge.

And I agree, with at least 2 or 3 slots dedicated to tanking roles I wish I had more slots for a few situational pvp ones

Thanks for posting this!! I tank already, lower level 43, and am somewhat familiar with the VK. Never thought to combine it with a RB. Should be fun. I wonder how this will do in the PVE, will let you know.

Pru

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasfrost View Post
    In the original post when you mention fighting rogues the skill is Rift Surge, not spell surge.

And I agree, with at least 2 or 3 slots dedicated to tanking roles I wish I had more slots for a few situational pvp ones
    Why do you need so many roles for tanking? I have 1 tanking role that works for everything I've encountered so far. I suppose if youre tanking alot in raiding you might need more options but as for me I'm running 1 tank, 2 dps and 2 pvp roles.

TO THE OP: Great post. Very similar to a build I had tried a while back but I think you may have found a thing or two that I missed. I'm looking forward to trying this one in the near future. It might even replace my fav 2h pvp build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    I read this topic as "Out of Class trolls" and I was like "no way any class is out of trolls. They're the internet's most renewable resource."
    Still a bit disappointed that no one is actually out of them, though.
    Lmao well played sir.
    Seventhsin - Warrior class lead <Church of Inglip>

Quote Originally Posted by nocks View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...uzz.tMs0dsMRzR

I've been having a lot of fun with this build. A lot. Of fun. It's sword/board (or 2hander if you want, there's no penalty), it's different, and there are several little hidden combo's that let you wrack up a lot of kills, and win a lot of 1v1 fights. This is the thinking man's Warrior PVP build, with good range and melee.

I think this may be the most complicated Warrior build, in terms of having a ton of abilities one 15 second - 1 minute cooldowns. This isn't a build for becoming a PVP God and topping Damage Done, though you can end up in the top five pretty easily and it has the same basic Burst characteristics as Zin's Ragestorm build, except about 25% less damage. However, it makes up for that by giving you much, much more defense.

For macros, I have an anti-magic, a root, a burst, a builder and a finisher. Then I have a few macro to spellbreak myself (essential for the 6 seconds of magic immunity) and arcane shield me, too. Then, there are four other useful finishers that need separate keybinds.

Antimagic:

cast spell sunder
    cast disrupt
    cast freeze armor
    cast soul pillage
    cast discharge
    cast flamespear
    cast spark

Root:

cast stonespear
    cast freeze armor
    cast spell sunder

Build:

Cast frost strike
    cast searing strike
    cast flamespear
    cast discharge
    cast spark
    cast freeze armor

Burst/AE:
    (use this after Enhanced Burst is set for a 20% boost. Can add in a loadequip macro to switch to 2hander for this)
    cast ragestorm
    cast tempest
    cast airburst
    cast thunder strike

Finisher:
    cast storm burst
    cast earth burst
    cast fiery burst

Anti-magic finisher:
    cast devouring strike
    cast catalyze

Save yourself:

target [name] (or learn the @self macro.. which I forget at the moment)
    cast spellbreaker
    cast stoneshield
    cast rift shield
    targetlasttarget
    -----

Strategies:

Against Warriors: Root, kite, port, snare, mash fiery burst. If they are a reaver/rb warrior, enjoy receiving your second bar of health via Fusion of Flesh. Use a shield. Spellsunder their buffs, and be ready to fight from range as much as possible. Between discharge, flamespear, stonespear, and spark you have decent ranged damage. Warriors are not your best target with this build. Ignore your VK side (but enjoy the extra armor, block and parry it brings) and focus on Fiery Burst. Also, you can run around just out of range of a warrior (or rogue) and spam tempest/ragestorm/airburst to get hits on your opponent while he cannot hit you. Also, don't underestimate Spell Sunder. For instance, riftblade builds heavily rely on their Planar Blade for power. Keep that buff off your target and you'll cut his damage output in half. This build gives you a lot of time to adjust and think because you've got high defense.

Against Rogues: Strip buffs, apply spell surge. Spell surge is death to rogues, who spam abilities. Fusion of Flesh is another tactic that works well here. If I can get a rogue to 50% health with my ranged attacks and melee spam, then spell surge usually handles the rest.

Against Mages: Build 3 AP, use Fiery Burst. Attack with Unstable Reaction. This will deal about 1500-2000 damage PLUS silence the mage. Unstable Reaction benefits from the 20% Enhanced Burst damage. I had a lot of wins in 1v1 PVP with this technique, especially in open-world fights. I think a lot of /lock builds tend to wait until their health is critical before they start healing, and this (along with the buff-stripping) tends to shut them down right about when they'd normally be healing. Constantly spellbreak yourself! It recharges every 15 seconds and gives you SIX SECONDS of immunity, meaning 1/3 of all spells will simply not work on you. This, along with Spell Shield, Void (20% spell reduction) and Avatar of Water (another 10%) you will have a long time to fight any mage you see.

Against Clerics: strip buffs often, and don't forget about your two silences. It's a really beautiful thing to see a Justicar cleric run into a big group of players expecting to survive for a while, then be silenced and stripped of buffs, dying in four or five seconds. However, once DR starts to set in, clerics can give you problems again. However, at the very least the silences and buff-removal gives you two effective tools to fight healing clerics that most other classes don't have, so you in addition to a straight DPS can bring down even the toughest cleric.

Against groups: People tend to leave you alone if you have a shield equipped, which is great when you're spamming waves of AE damage punctuated by 8-second silences on their back row. You can supplement this build with 13 points in Vindicator (taken out of VK) to make it a subdue build, but honestly I feel that the AE silence is just as useful and the other abilities you get make up for it, especially Fusion of Flesh.

Over un-even terrain: This build is the ultimate Codex defender because of the Rift Summon/Planar Blade combo. Every crit will reset your Rift Summon, so you can often spam the attack and pull 5-6 rogues/clerics/mages down from the cliff in Codex in a row, which really ruins their day when paired with a 8-second silence.

----

Anyway, this build isn't a min/max build, but one that gives you a lot of options to fight certain types of players. You get a lot of beautiful moments in which you completely decimate another player's strategies with a well-timed Spell Sunder or AE Silence, or a Rift Surge.

This build is ultra mobile, with rift summon and riftwalk constantly recharging due to Planar Blade. You have snares and roots, ranged damage, melee damage, and the best magic-resist of just about any soul combination in the game. This build is great for flag running in mage-heavy games because of spellbreaker/break free. I successfully ran Shards in Port Scion through 5-10 players by using Spellbreaker/Rift Shield/Fusion of Flesh and Avatar of Wind for the speed boost. Only marksmen pose a real threat to your health at a range, and you have heavy plate armor and a shield to help mitigate that. You can also fire off the only ranged-ae damage that warriors have available by sticking Storm Burst and Earth Burst to your ranged attacks and lobbing them into groups of enemies, building up your Damage Done.
    A guildie (R7) was messing around with this last night ... worked better then I thought it would. Damage was fairly decent (not as high as the Kronos/Lameboi build but decent) and the survivability and utility excellent.

Since PvP in Rift is virtually boiling down to a dispel fest, Spell Sunder is worth its weight in gold.

Good thread ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast